Supports in Three Houses

Guest Guest

3 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Here's a question for everyone: Who, out of the revealed playable cast, would you S-Support with, if any?

Right now, I would go with Sylvain, Ashe or Dimitri. 

Of the ones we have now, I`d say Edelgard, Dorothea, Bernadetta, Mercedes and blonde girl talking with Ashe. This could of course change when the game releases.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Here's a question for everyone: Who, out of the revealed playable cast, would you S-Support with, if any?

As of now Dorothea, Edelgard, Petra, Bernadetta, Mercedes, Leonie, the blonde girl or Teacher Lady!

Since I'm likely going Black Eagles first Dorothea or Edelgard are my top priority with Petra strongly up there.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

4 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Probably Bernadetta or maybe Leonie, assuming I go for M!Byleth on my first playthrough; I'm not sure right now if I'll go M! or F!Byleth. Assuming neither of them is romanceable as F!Byleth, probably Claude if he is (for that matter, if he's romanceable by M!Byleth I'd consider that too). If not I dunno, maybe Sylvain or maybe I'll see who the game's designated bi/gay girl option is.

2 hours ago, E. Wendall said:

Maybe Dmitri, maybe Ashe, maybe the purple haired bangs boy, or blue-haired sword wielder.  I'm not sure really.

Unrelated, can I ask why so many people are referencing Claude when it comes to LGBT representation?  We have almost no information about him, and it feels like a whole lotta stereotypes.

Probably that plus maybe a little bit of wishful thinking and hoping for it. Anecdotal certainly but, at least out of those who are interested in Fire Emblem to begin with, most of my gay friends are pretty into Claude. :lol:

4 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I think Claude is my favorite so far, so I'm torn on whether who is the gay option or not. May have to play F!Byleth if necessary. 

Subtlety implies there is something there, being open for interpretation/vague is something else entirely.  

4 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

(reading among the lines) and that's why i do think he is... anyone can interpret it tho however he wants, i just find it funny how strong the straights deny this fact as if a gay lord existing would harm their franchise... Again not referring to you it was great discussing with you...

Just have to say it is just some people never got that from Ike and don't interpret him that way.  It doesn't mean they are anti gay, or they are denying he is gay because they feel that would make him inferior...they just never saw him that way nor should they feel forced to.  

5 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I'd say I don't know enough about any of them to be able to say with any real certainty. Also, are we talking about me s-supporting them, or my Byleth s-supporting them, because there is an obvious difference. 

In any case... with what little I know... Edelgard, probably? I'm not sure though if I would want to be the Emperor's Consort... I think I'm beginning to understand why Ike didn't end up with Elincia (I'm just making a joke!)

5 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Now this sounds fun.

Boys: I have to go with either Claude or Caspar with Raphael trailing close behind.

Girls: I really like Petra and Dorothea. I’m starting to warm up to Leonie too. Her appearance reminds me of Mahiru.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

Subtlety implies there is something there, being open for interpretation/vague is something else entirely.  

Just have to say it is just some people never got that from Ike and don't interpret him that way.  It doesn't mean they are anti gay, or they are denying he is gay because they feel that would make him inferior...they just never saw him that way nor should they feel forced to.  

cool no one is forcing you...  as for the other thing let me not get into it cause i really dont want to go there...

5 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

cool no one is forcing you...  as for the other thing let me not get into it cause i really dont want to go there...

Noted.  I think that is the main source of friction, and this goes for any fan interpretation if it is stated as the only or true interpretation. 

6 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Caspar, Sylvain, Ashe, Dimitri or Claude ^_^ 

8 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh; that was your point. Sorry that I misunderstood. Though he's less an example of too much subtlety leading to ambiguity, and more an example of different writers having different interpretations (which is the reason I brought up the NA localization). 

You're right that the localization must have played a part here, so maybe I should have picked another example even though Ike is probably the best known and most divisive. (I assume it still stands to a point, since even the japanese version must be ambiguous or else this discussion would have been settled a while ago, but as I don't speak japanese and don't read Tellius meta because I haven't played RD yet, I wouldn't know.)

And, somewhat tying this to the original topic, I hope 3H supports won't be similarly affected by the localization. Translators shouldn't bring their shipping biases into things. (Even if they did it for a ship I ended up liking, I think learning it was added would make it feel less legitimate, so I wouldn't even get to fully enjoy the added content.) In the same way, no small but consistent instances of butchering a character's personality, and no changing the content to the point that you go from "that's oddly sweet, if out of character" when reading the english version of a C-A to learning it was completely different in the japanese version (lookin' at you, Niles/Elise), etc.

Edited by Kori

4 minutes ago, Kori said:

And, somewhat tying this to the original topic, I hope 3H supports won't be similarly affected by the localization. Translators shouldn't bring their shipping biases into things. (Even if they did it for a ship I ended up liking, I think learning it was added would make it feel less legitimate, so I wouldn't even get to fully enjoy the added content.) In the same way, no small but consistent instances butchering a character's personality, and no changing the content to the point that you go from "that's oddly sweet, if out of character" when reading the english version of a C-A to learning it was completely different in the japanese version (lookin' at you, Niles/Elise), etc.

I completely agree, though I just want to point out that the common consensus seems to be that the interactions between Ike and Elincia seem completely flat and robotic in the Japanese version of Path of Radiance, and I (and many others) personally much prefer their chemistry in NA localization by comparison. So I say, if the change is just a complete improvement in writing quality and stays true to the characters, then I think the localisation should feel free to go ahead and make the change. But that's just me. 

I'm an aspiring writer, and if a translator told me, "You know; I think this change might improve the story, especially when considering the different audience for which I'm translating your book" and I had a look at it and I thought, "Yeah; that probably actually is better", then I would tell them to go right ahead. 

I hope that the supports have quality. I want to get to know these characters. I want to see how they interact with others. Why would they be a good match for each other? Awakening's supports were decent. Fates had some good ones, but I found most of them awkward, trivial, too gimmicky or just plain bad.

43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I completely agree, though I just want to point out that the common consensus seems to be that the interactions between Ike and Elincia seem completely flat and robotic in the Japanese version of Path of Radiance, and I (and many others) personally much prefer their chemistry in NA localization by comparison. So I say, if the change is just a complete improvement in writing quality and stays true to the characters, then I think the localisation should feel free to go ahead and make the change. But that's just me. 

I'm an aspiring writer, and if a translator told me, "You know; I think this change might improve the story, especially when considering the different audience for which I'm translating your book" and I had a look at it and I thought, "Yeah; that probably actually is better", then I would tell them to go right ahead. 

Oh, that's a shame, I quite like their friendship in the localization. I thought it must have been present in the original too, and that the added shiptease I heard about was things like Elincia asking him not to use her title. Pity if that's not the case.

To be clear, I'm not referring to changing things for a culturally different audience; that's a localization's job. I'm all for making the characters' way of speaking a bit more lively too, like they apparently did for SoV, since it compensates for things japanese people get from of the original dialogue that we wouldn't get with a literal translation. Just not changing what actually happens in there, events, characters' motivations, all that. (With the example of Niles/Elise since that one changed from "Zero tricks Elise to see her cry" to "Niles gives Elise mostly honest advice out of... genuine desire to help, probably". That's not true to the characters, at least not to Zero. (I'm not particularly attached to that one or anything, but I've read a comparison of both versions, so it'll do.))

Edited by Kori

9 minutes ago, Kori said:

Oh, that's a shame, I quite like their friendship in the localization. I thought it must have been present in the original too, and that the added shiptease I heard about was things like Elincia asking him not to use her title. Pity if that's not the case.

To be clear, I'm not referring to changing things for a culturally different audience; that's a localization's job. I'm all for making the characters' way of speaking a bit more lively too, like they apparently did for SoV, since it compensates for things japanese people get from of the original dialogue that we wouldn't get with a literal translation. Just not changing what actually happens in there, events, characters' motivations, all that. (With the example of Niles/Elise since that one changed from "Zero tricks Elise to see her cry" to "Niles gives Elise mostly honest advice out of... genuine desire to help, probably". That's not true to the characters, at least not to Zero. (I'm not particularly attached to that one or anything, but I've read a comparison of both versions, so it'll do.))

I figured that that's what you meant; I just wanted to point out for... clarity, for lack of a better word. Considering we had previously talked about ambiguity being an issue, I thought it was good to mention it. 

Edited by vanguard333

10 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Currently just Edelgard and Dorothea. But only because Sothis hasn't been confirmed playable or supportable yet. If she is, she's my number one option.

22 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Ignoring the student/teacher thing and all of that, the two I like the most given what we've seen are Claude and Dorothea. Sylvain and Edelgard are up there too. 

Edited by EJ107

As much as I'm iffy on student/teacher, I think that if they S-rank after the school portion or wait till after the game to get married, it'll be fine. This isn't grade school; it's a military academy. I'm assuming that everyone is an adult, at least by semi-modern standards. Even if it's by medieval standards, we just need to keep in mind that they had different things that were acceptable at that time. Granted, most of that is now unacceptable (sexism, young marriage, cousin incest (contrary to popular belief, brother/sister was illegal back then and punishable by death) legal slavery etc.) but this is a game. Nothing we do in it has to reflect us as people.

1 minute ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I think that if they S-rank after the school portion or wait till after the game to get married, it'll be fine. This isn't grade school; it's a military academy. I'm assuming that everyone is an adult, at least by semi-modern standards. Even if it's by medieval standards, we just need to keep in mind that they had different things that were acceptable at that time. Granted, most of that is now unacceptable (sexism, young marriage, cousin incest (contrary to popular belief, brother/sister was illegal back then and punishable by death) legal slavery etc.) but this is a game. Nothing we do in it has to reflect us as people.

People also already forget we we're a mercenary for who knows how long before recently being appointed because we're special this to me is just fake outcry that's already dying down. Like seriously it's a fictional mature game made in Japan not a big deal in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Guest Tobias said:

People also already forget we we're a mercenary for who knows how long before recently being appointed because we're special this to me is just fake outcry that's already dying down. Like seriously it's a fictional mature game made in Japan not a big deal in the slightest.

Same, Its literally Cold Steel pretty much that's why I'm keeping out of this and waiting for more info. Its a waste of time when looking at it not huge as some are still for some reason trying to portray.

Hopefully others share my view on this, but I think the supports should NOT be like very "Anime", or very one-dimensional (two-dimensional even). I hope Three Houses' supports are fun to read through and at the same time expound more on the characters we meet. This way, it will be VERY PAINFUL when we lose that one unit/character/pixels-on-a-screen we loved a little too much ( I see this does not matter to those on casuals... no shame...). Bonus points to the game if they incorporate a second generations of sorts BUT manage to weave it into the story, much like Genealogy of the Holy War did.

51 minutes ago, toocoolj789 said:

I hope Three Houses' supports are fun to read through and at the same time expound more on the characters we meet.

Agreed. I want to get to know these characters so they aren't just pixels in a game. On another note, while I play on casual to speed things up (I am not a patient person so resetting 9000 times makes a game less enjoyable. I want to see the whole story) I still get immesely frustrated/sad if someone I like gets KOed. I have been known to reset for the characters I like the best, even if they are only knocked out/retreated. So I don't think game mode has anything to do with how well you get to know the characters.

Edited by PrincessAlyson

2 hours ago, Guest Tobias said:

Teacher/student relationships aren't wrong (just) because of the age inappropriate-ness. (Though yes, also that.)

There's a power level difference that creates an inherent level of potential abusiveness, in the same way that a boss/employee relationship does. (Or Woody Allen's relationship; his current wife is his ex-wife's adopted daughter, and there was a period in her mid-teens where he was her step father.) If things are hunky-dory, then it's not an issue. But relationships tend to have tumultuous moments, and when those moments hit if one partner has grossly more power over the other in certain aspects of their life outside of the relationship, abuse happens

Normalising said relationships via depiction in media is... not great.  

4 minutes ago, Guest LSM said:

Teacher/student relationships aren't wrong (just) because of the age inappropriate-ness. (Though yes, also that.)

There's a power level difference that creates an inherent level of potential abusiveness, in the same way that a boss/employee relationship does. (Or Woody Allen's relationship; his current wife is his ex-wife's adopted daughter, and there was a period in her mid-teens where he was her step father.) If things are hunky-dory, then it's not an issue. But relationships tend to have tumultuous moments, and when those moments hit if one partner has grossly more power over the other in certain aspects of their life outside of the relationship, abuse happens

Normalising said relationships via depiction in media is... not great.  

Exactly. There are plenty of real life examples where a teacher blackmails a student into dating them/sexual favors for good grades. Plenty of politicians/corporate bosses also blackmail their employees for sex as well. That's why I'd like the relationships that Byleth can have be after the school setting, where it's not as creepy.

Edited by PrincessAlyson