Chinatsu Kurahana is Three Houses New Artist

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

What are everyone else’s thoughts on our new artist and what little work we’ve seen of her’s so far in the game?

Not as good as the person who did Radiant Dawn's art. Hell, even the person who did Awakening's art was better.

Hm, perhaps I just never focused as much on the artwork as I do now, but from what I've seen so far, this is going to be my least favorite art out of just about any FE game I've played. Its not even the clothes or anything like that. Its mostly the near printer paper face coloring and the female eyes. God, the eyes. Most of the men's eyes aren't too bad, but I so far have yet to like any of the eyes on a female character.

4 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I still don't see why people are saying it looks like a Persona game when it doesn't even look Persona-like. Is it because school uniforms? Because even then the only similar thing is the color black in then, the style both of drawing and fashion is totally different.

i beg to differ:

FE 3H - Persona 4

f_byleth.png 86397.jpg

the drawing style is very similar, not to mention the eyes wich are pretty much identical in both designs. that cannot be denied.

i'm not saying that the style itself is bad thou. it's just that compared to previous artists, it lacks personality.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I liked Kozaki in Awakening but he had to go when Fates came around. Lobster armor 2.0 (Walhart was original lobster), Camilla’s atrocious outfit, the Corrins (especially male Corrin), among many others, it was clear he overstayed his welcome. I never really liked how over-designed his outfits were and he amped that part up to an 11 with Fates.

character design is one thing, outfit design is another( althou they can be both done by the same artist eventually ).

Corrin's design was fine as it was for both default and promoted versions, however i do agree about the other outfits being too exaggerated at times.

in Awakening's case: https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Yusuke_Kozaki

When creating the armored characters, the art director actually designed the armor, with Kozaki designing the characters in the armor afterwards. Before doing the designs for Awakening Kozaki hadn't played a Fire Emblem game before and he didn't know a lot about the series. He said that because of this he wasn't influenced by any previous designs though, so he was able to work more freely. Concerning some fans skepticism with the new Awakening designs featuring more eccentric dress and fanservice than previous games in the series, he commented that they were not designed with fanservice or sexualization in mind, and that it was the characters personalities that led to their design. When asked if any characters got scrapped during development, he noted that since there where a lot of characters to draw there was no surprise when characters had to be dropped.

long story short: can't blame Kozaki for everything.

anyway, i believe the main issue with the new artist is that her style isn't really suited for a FE game, but rather for games with modern backgrounds and different settings.

a medieval/fantasy game requires character designs that can actually show properly different attitudes, personalities and emotions, otherwise you just end up getting a cast of puppets that may look all nice and clean, but has no soul whatsoever.

they had many guest artists with FE Heroes, they could have asked one of them instead. it didn't had to be someone who already worked on FE before, even the likes of Sata or Rika Suzuki could have been more than fine in my opinion:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

SELIPH_2.png

latest?cb=20161111204829

tumblr_omyibw2kun1vkxy0mo4_r1_1280.jpg

Edited by Fenreir

I happen to really like the art, and I have no problem with a shift in art style for this game. Different games with different tones can have different styles anyhow. Most of the time, anyhow, I only see cohesion of FE designs when the same artist does multiple games. 

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

character design is one thing, outfit design is another( althou they can be both done by the same artist eventually ).

I see. Oh since that’s the case then yeah I can’t really fault Kozaki there. My bad.

2 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm hoping that sometime soon we get some full character artwork (since all we have so far are in-game portraits) so I can get a better look at the characters.

I hope so too. Portraits tend to use a very bland expression for characters because they gotta keep them with a neutral expression but full character art is usually much more dynamic and lively which we haven’t gotten much of so far from these portraits.

1 hour ago, alatartheblue42 said:

God, the eyes. Most of the men's eyes aren't too bad, but I so far have yet to like any of the eyes on a female character.

Yess! I wasn’t sure what it was that made me dislike the women here but now I know it is most definitely the eyes. They just look so soulless and empty. Very doll like but I don’t find the lifeless doll look appealing. Probably why I like Petra and Dorothea because they seem to have some life in their eyes that makes them stand out from the rest. Just sucks that Edgelord is one of the girls with the empty doll eyes since she’s a protagonist so we’ll be seeing lots of her. Oh well, as long as she ends up with a likable personality I think I can get over it.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm hoping that sometime soon we get some full character artwork (since all we have so far are in-game portraits) so I can get a better look at the characters.

Ditto. I find it hard to judge the art quality from the portraits alone.

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

.....me too.

Hahahahaha yeah. I know. I know.

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

If had to be someone new then I really would’ve liked Yamada Akihiro. I know some people didn’t like his work in Heroes but I personally was a big fan of them and here, look at some of his other stuff:

Reveal hidden contents

VTumJ5I.jpg

xDGmeN1.jpg

suAnn8Z.jpg

KV2F898.jpg

eeTq5mr.jpg

dnT7tvs.jpg

Oh, my God!!! I had no idea Yamada Akihiro was the one who made the new illustrations for The Twelve Kingdom series! I love those book to pieces, like they're actually one of my favorite medieval fantasy books ever! And I have loved those illustrations for T12K since they came out (the ones before that were not so good, maybe because they were dated or I don't know).

It's crazy how many incredible illustrators are involved with Heroes :lol: I keep getting surprised.

Edited by Chopper...

I like the artist. So far i have liked almost all of them with a few who im neutral but so far not anyone that i dislike so i aprove.

I wonder when this fanbase will give their Hidari fascination a rest, i think this is why many are so harsh on the artist.

People just have to accept that despite Hidari's skills the new game needs an artist needs a bigger appeal than what Hidari has to offer, in this case the artist chosen already appeals to the allegedly big female fanbase this series has.

I think that given Edelgard already became a fan favorite (I bet she already have more fanart than most Echoes girls) this means that Nintendo succeeded with the artist.

2 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

in this case the artist chosen already appeals to the allegedly big female fanbase this series has.

To be honest, as part of the female fanbase, or at least the one that's into guys, I have found most male characters very uninteresting. I also have friends from the male fanbase who are into guys too, and they have said the same. Of course, we have yet to see many other characters (I think?), but so far, not so good.

2 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I think that given Edelgard already became a fan favorite (I bet she already have more fanart than most Echoes girls) this means that Nintendo succeeded with the artist.

One character can't save them all, though, specially not in a series of videogames where we tend to have like 40 playable units.

I feel like her other works look better than FE's. I mostly have an issue with the character designs as I find the characters shown right now are either boring (Leonie, Bernadetta), forgettable (Anette, Ferdinand, Leonie), awkward (Dorothea, Linhardt) or even downright ugly (Leonie, the two unnamed males from Golden Deer). 

(I apologize to people that likes Leonie's design)

I also don't really like how she's been giving male characters some pretty bad hairstyles (the two unnamed males from Golden Deer comes to mind, Dimitri's hair is also pretty disliked even though I'm fine with it) when it seems like she's capable of doing way better. 

That being said, I kinda like her usage of colours....especially for the eyes. Some people say it's a bit too doll-like but I think that the striking colours really captures your attention. 

Edited by zuibangde

11 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

or even downright ugly (Leonie, the two unnamed males from Golden Deer). 

(I apologize to people that likes Leonie's design)

I also don't really like how she's been giving male characters some pretty bad hairstyles (the two unnamed males from Golden Deer comes to mind, Dimitri's hair is also pretty disliked even though I'm fine with it) when it seems like she's capable of doing way better.

Not everyone even in real life is blessed with beautiful features and Hair. People complain about everyone being too young and beautiful, but when they are not, its a bad design. I don't get this fanbase. *Shrug*

I love the artstyle. I can't agree that it looks bland at all. If looks quite beautiful in my opinion. The eyes seem fine to me, really not that bad honestly.

11 hours ago, Decerd said:

I find it hilarious the people who were complaining about Kozaki's art-style and how they wanted someone else to take the helm. Now Chinatsu has, and they don't like their art either lol.

I like this art much more than Kozaki's for the series... barring the girl with the stupid hat.

Chinatsu's fits a lot more with what we've gotten previously out of the series, whereas Kozaki seemed to be making art for a different franchise entirely.

48 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Not everyone even in real life is blessed with beautiful features and Hair. People complain about everyone being too young and beautiful, but when they are not, its a bad design. I don't get this fanbase. *Shrug*

I love the artstyle. I can't agree that it looks bland at all. If looks quite beautiful in my opinion. The eyes seem fine to me, really not that bad honestly.

If you imagine all the characters as being bald, they all are young and beautiful but all kinda look the same. Their clothes have little variation too because of the setting (goth guy and Linhardt are literally wearing the exact same outfit). So what is left to really distinguish them apart is the hair. Additionally, with this anime art style, hairstyles provide a glimpse of the character's personality.  When the hairstyles are plain or awkward to look at, you naturally care less for them (since I assume they'll either be boring or unlikable). When you have more than a handful of characters that makes you feel either nothing or negatively about them visually, then I feel like it's a bit problematic.

It's obviously impossible to like every character design but I don't think any other FE game has me thinking to myself 'wow I really don't care much about this character's design' so many times. That being said, I believe there are still many characters that are gonna be revealed in the future so I'm still optimistic. 

As I said, I think the art style is very nice (I think art style and character design should be treated separately) and I also quite like the eyes. It's just the designs that I'm not super impressed with so far but I do understand the challenge with designing at least 24 people wearing similar uniforms. Granted, everyone's tastes are different so this is just my opinion.

Edited by zuibangde

I think the official artwork will range from decent to good. It's just that with the way the dialogue is handled we'll be in contact with the models more than the artwork and that might not leave the best impression on everyone.

Seeing all these examples of what she can do, I'm even more disappointed that the art direction for this game went with her more plastic/cold/lifeless-looking UtaPri style rather than her art for Captive Prince or Samurai Flamenco. There was real potential there.

I am not into anime, and thus cannot give a contrasted criticism, but I dislike the eyes of the characters, specially on the women.

I also think that characters lack solemnity, heroism. This is, I cannot picture a scene where one of these characters sacrifices their life for their countrymen or performs a last-minute save in the chaos of the battlefield.

I am fine with the nod to gay men, like the Lord with the darker skin tone. I would prefer them not too homoerotic, but I like handsome male characters. The thing is that all characters seem bland for the main theme of the game: war.

I am not implying that gay men are bland soldiers. I am saying that the particular design of these characters seems very odd on a battlefield. Which is rather ironic, since now that Lords are able to command divisions, they inspire nothing.

Oh!, and I hate the girl with the stripper hat. 

Edited by starburst

10 hours ago, carefreejules said:

I'm almost tempted to experiment/play around with the eyes like making the irises bigger and what not to see if it makes the portraits look more appealing or not since that seems to be the the consensus of everyone's disdain for the style :0

*cough* someone tried already. original:

2019-02-15.jpg

customized:

f-byl.jpgf-byl-2.jpg

...and that took me just 5 minutes.

Edited by Fenreir