Warning to SFers - Someone is Impersonating Me on Fanfiction.net

Anacybele

I found out yesterday that yes, someone is pretending to be me on Fanfiction.net. They're using the username Anacybele and everything. This is no coincidence, that username is not something anyone could just come up with. I made it with two obscure words from different languages. And this ff.net account posted a joke fanfic about Ike/Soren hate, Elincia getting pregnant, and Sumia hate. And one of the comments mentions Frederick being "bad" whatever that meant. The bio mentions Frederick as a "husbando" as well as Ike. And as some of you know, I'm an Ike x Elincia fan, I do not like Ike x Soren, I don't like Sumia, and I'm a big fan of Frederick.

Here's the fake Anacybele account that someone here showed me.

THIS IS NOT ME!

I swear to god, I'd never post crap like this! I'm warning people on SF because this is the site I use the name Anacybele on and I've mentioned here before that I have an ff.net account. This is the only forum/gaming site I frequent and have used that name on as well, so the person who is doing this to me probably came from here or has come here as a guest many times. And I do not wish for people to think that that account is mine and that I behave this way! Or for this person to impersonate other SF users!

THIS is my real account. I honestly should have added Anacybele to that list of usernames I put in the profile though, and I'm sorry now that I didn't. I must've originally thought I had.

I'm also making this thread to warn people that ff.net now to me is not a recommended place to go for posting your own fics. I would not want something like this to happen to you either, as I cannot find any way to report the person who did this and have the account shut down.

As such, to let anyone here who follows my ff.net account know, I will be moving to another site called Ao3, courtesy of my friend @Dragoncat

Mods, this thread probably will not generate much real conversation, so it may be locked if you wish, I would just like the word to be spread here so as few people as possible mistake this awful impersonator for me.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member of a family of artists, I know this kind of struggle all too well.  Impersonations and harassment of artists and writers are all unfortunately common occurrences on the internet, it seems.

I hope this turns out better for you in the end.

10 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

As a member of a family of artists, I know this kind of struggle all too well.  Impersonations and harassment of artists and writers are all unfortunately common occurrences on the internet, it seems.

I hope this turns out better for you in the end.

Yeah, and my writing was plagiarized once too, years ago. It sucks that this kind of stuff happens. But thanks, Ertrick.

5 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Ana you may also want to link to your ao3 here when it's made if the mods allow.

Yeah, not a bad idea.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

That's Ertick, not Purple.

Oh whoops lol. I must've thought it was him because of the purple colored avatar and he had posted at the same time Purple Mage messaged me on Discord.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And one of the comments mentions Frederick being "bad" whatever that meant.

That person is terrible at impersonating then because that's literally the opposite of you.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

That person is terrible at impersonating then because that's literally the opposite of you.

No, that's a comment on the story from someone else, not from the writer. I also edited the OP to say that I found that this impersonator wrote Ike and Frederick are their husbandos.

Can you make reports if you don't have an account? Because I'm afraid I haven't used the site.
Oddly enough this reminds me of that argument you had in that Greil's devoted related thread. Not that it narrows it down, because even if it were related it's not necessarily someone you argued with as it could be someone who decided they don't like you or who thinks you're a suitable target.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

I think the point is to mock her. I once had an idiot who did the same sort of shit targetting me on facebook... except went so far as to have my dp upside down and colour inverted. Naturally that wasn't very hard to deal with... because blatant changes to profile picture.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, that's a comment on the story from someone else, not from the writer. I also edited the OP to say that I found that this impersonator wrote Ike and Frederick are their husbandos.

Ah I see. Sorry to hear that, you have my sympathy.

Yeah this is why I never posted any of my stuffs ff.net. I never trusted that site to begin with and I also don't like for everyone to see my works.

I personally use Google Doc now with the share link feature. It could be another option if you want Ana.

10 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Can you make reports if you don't have an account? Because I'm afraid I haven't used the site.
Oddly enough this reminds me of that argument you had in that Greil's devoted related thread. Not that it narrows it down, because even if it were related it's not necessarily someone you argued with as it could be someone who decided they don't like you or who thinks you're a suitable target.

Oh, I'm not sure...

I can definitely see how I'd become a target, as I've had some infamous incidents occur here, and Shadowofchaos also Tweeted mockery of me. Though I cannot prove that anyone who saw/commented on his Tweets did this, so I can't accuse him of anything. And even if the responsible person did come from his Twitter viewers, I don't want to believe he intended for someone to do this to me. I'll always think SoC was immature as hell to Tweet those things, but he would never go this far. It's just too immature, petty, etc. even for him, and he has a life. He wouldn't waste his time making fake accounts.

6 minutes ago, Nym said:

Ah I see. Sorry to hear that, you have my sympathy.

Yeah this is why I never posted any of my stuffs ff.net. I never trusted that site to begin with and I also don't like for everyone to see my works.

I personally use Google Doc now with the share link feature. It could be another option if you want Ana.

Alright, thanks.

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

I think the point is to mock her. I once had an idiot who did the same sort of shit targetting me on facebook... except went so far as to have my dp upside down and colour inverted. Naturally that wasn't very hard to deal with... because blatant changes to profile picture.

Wow that sucks.

This is why I prefer to be a ghost on Facebook.

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I can definitely see how I'd become a target, as I've had some infamous incidents occur here, and Shadowofchaos also Tweeted mockery of me. Though I cannot prove that anyone who saw/commented on his Tweets did this, so I can't accuse him of anything. And even if the responsible person did come from his Twitter viewers, I don't want to believe he intended for someone to do this to me. I'll always think SoC was immature as hell to Tweet those things, but he would never go this far. It's just too immature, petty, etc. even for him, and he has a life. He wouldn't waste his time making fake accounts.

Don't get any wrong ideas Ana. This happened like what, 1 year ago? This is probably someone random who decided to mess with you. The account seems to be only a few days old.

Also I checked what they posted, this pure garbage wow. I'm gonna report him for your sake.

Edited by Nym

1 minute ago, Nym said:

Wow that sucks.

This is why I prefer to be a ghost on Facebook.

That was 2011... and I haven't really used a Facebook since 2015. Sides I kind of found out who it was... and there was some petty behavior.

5 minutes ago, Nym said:
20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Don't get any wrong ideas Ana. This happened like what, 1 year ago? This is probably someone random who decided to mess with you.

Also I checked what they posted, this pure garbage wow. I'm gonna report him for your sake.

Yeah. I don't even know about the ShadowofChaos bit. I have noted a couple things that I'm going to follow up on.

13 minutes ago, Nym said:

Don't get any wrong ideas Ana. This happened like what, 1 year ago? This is probably someone random who decided to mess with you. The account seems to be only a few days old.

Oh yeah, like I said, I don't really believe SoC had anything to do with this. You're right, his Tweet did happen a year ago or so. And I haven't seen him around anyway. This fake account was made in August of last year, though the story was posted just this month. Kinda odd, but yeah.

EDIT: @Hectorcopter Oh yes, sorry about that. A definite thanks to you for being the one who showed me this. I'm not sure why I forgot to mention you.

Edited by Anacybele

Geez, this guy is pretty bad at impersonating you.  You don't write like the authors of My Immortal when posting.  And anything that tries to be My Immortal without being My Immortal just isn't the same.  None can match the literary travesty that is My Immortal in So Bad It's Good-ness.

What a mean troll.  It's a shame this happened to you.

I'll also report this to FFN.  Site rules is you have to check grammar and spelling anyway.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, like I said, I don't really believe SoC had anything to do with this. You're right, his Tweet did happen a year ago or so. And I haven't seen him around anyway. This fake account was made in August of last year, though the story was posted just this month. Kinda odd, but yeah.

EDIT: @Hectorcopter Oh yes, sorry about that. A definite thanks to you for being the one who showed me this. I'm not sure why I forgot to mention you.

Yeah. It' only made weirder, because I noticed that it was posted on the same day of the Greil's Devoted thread argument. But for someone to have the account that far back quickly killed the notion it's related.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Geez, this guy is pretty bad at impersonating you.  You don't write like the authors of My Immortal when posting.  And anything that tries to be My Immortal without being My Immortal just isn't the same.  None can match the literary travesty that is My Immortal in So Bad It's Good-ness.

I'll also report this to FFN.  Site rules is you have to check grammar and spelling anyway.

You never read teh evil babby on Trollpasta (R.I.P.). That work of twisted genius managed to be in both the "so bad it's good" and "unfunny" categories at the same time the mods were so split on it.

15 minutes ago, Hectorcopter said:

Thanks. I was fooled by that account, so I wouldn’t be surprised if other people get tricked as well. Either that or I’m stupid. Probably the latter. Anyway, good luck with getting that sorted out.

I'm actually following up on someone I saw in the comments, so I think you weren't the only one who mistook it for a joke.

5 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

You never read teh evil babby on Trollpasta (R.I.P.). That work of twisted genius managed to be in both the "so bad it's good" and "unfunny" categories at the same time the mods were so split on it.

But you see, part of what makes My Immortal so magical is we don't know if it was a brilliant troll or a genuinely mentally unstable pre-teen girl and her friend.  

This is blatantly a try-hard troll, so it loses what makes My Immortal so amusing.

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

But you see, part of what makes My Immortal so magical is we don't know if it was a brilliant troll or a genuinely mentally unstable pre-teen girl and her friend.  

This is blatantly a try-hard troll, so it loses what makes My Immortal so amusing.

True.
Teh evil Babby was unironically turned out to be created by a slightly unhinged Indonesian man who talked like Yoda and tried to run a business selling a special kind of dumbell on the side. The special aspect referring to the fact it was intended to be attached to a certain part of the male anatomy because it would allegedly "improve performance". Last time I checked, his website for ordering the stuff had went bust and he'd moved to Germany. Which is a shame because the website itself was hilarious. I understand he was banned from the TF2 forums for trying to sell his product there several times, and insulting the mods when they locked his threads.

21 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Supper Smash Bros Mishonh from God is also pretty awful, but that one was confirmed to be a troll fic and written by a 30 year old lesbian.