Should I give Effie the boots?

Hanes

13 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

OK so Effie isn't super tanky but if I want to use it a mobile GK is better because she still tanks as such right? I dunno, I might keep using her after chapter 10 for support fodder to help Mozu with those chapter 11 archers and then leave her I guess.

Effie herself is not bulky, her Defence comes from her class bonuses. She even passes -Def to her children.
She starts in the wrong class. Being a Knight gives her some usability very early, but she should really be in a class focused on power, like Berserker or Sniper. She can also get classes that give her decent attack and utility, like Kinshi or Bow Knight, even Master Ninja. And her skill pool lets her do nice combos relatively early, like Berserker with Quick Draw and +40 % Hit.

Since you are still early in the game, you can marry her to Arthur or Niles or Kaze and A+ Mozu, with relative ease, and make her more useful. Again, it depends on what you want her to do and what your party needs.

The one time I used Effie, after my very first playthrough on hard, I PSd her to Be off Arthur. It turned out pretty well. It's always a bummer that knight ends up being so bad. I can only think of one FE title with good knights/generals, which is Shadow Dragon for the DS. Wolf and Zedgar or something? 100%+ growths in multiple stats, prepromotes, low join level, and fairly early recruitment. Oh man, those units are Camilla tier (maybe a little worse because their start is sketchy, which is actually why you put them in general initially).

7 hours ago, Centh said:

The one time I used Effie, after my very first playthrough on hard, I PSd her to Be off Arthur. It turned out pretty well. It's always a bummer that knight ends up being so bad. I can only think of one FE title with good knights/generals, which is Shadow Dragon for the DS. Wolf and Zedgar or something? 100%+ growths in multiple stats, prepromotes, low join level, and fairly early recruitment. Oh man, those units are Camilla tier (maybe a little worse because their start is sketchy, which is actually why you put them in general initially).

Pray tell, what's your opinion on axe infantry? Because they tend to be even worse off than knights, if you ask me - at least knights can act as a stone wall against physical attacks. Foot axes tend to have no redeeming features to make up for their weaknesses, for the most part, and with the exception of the few that are actually good, odds are a slot they take up is one that could have been put to better use by just about anyone else. As for Wolf and Sedgar, I'm not sure they could be comparable to Camilla because of their rocky start.

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 hours ago, Centh said:

General as a class is super useful in New Mystery as well on lunatic or lunatic reverse.

14 hours ago, joshcja said:

General as a class is super useful in New Mystery as well on lunatic or lunatic reverse.

New mystery is the "craft your own unit" Marth one? I think I played an emulator of it once. I ran as a fighter. I've always felt that fighters are amazing, but get screwed by growths/base stats a lot.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, starburst said:

Since you are still early in the game, you can marry her to Arthur or Niles or Kaze and A+ Mozu, with relative ease, and make her more useful. Again, it depends on what you want her to do and what your party needs.

It depends on what I need to do to beat a map, I could go through the entire game without a tank and "needing" one and still not have trouble. And plus I'm not gonna use her if there are not that many levels where she is really useful, if she were then I would deploy her. Anyway those are some good reclasing options but I don't like to tinker with it too much.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

It depends on what I need to do to beat a map, I could go through the entire game without a tank and "needing" one and still not have trouble.

Great. I would like to hear your approach to Ch 17 without a unit playing the role of a tank. Or how you assault the roof of Ch 23 in Lunatic. Or how you deal with the Heroes room or the southern room of Ch 26 without a unit playing the role of a tank. On my recent campaigns, I used Hero Silas or Noble +Mag Cornflakes in those sections, but, by all purposes, both were playing the role of a tank.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

And plus I'm not gonna use her if there are not that many levels where she is really useful, if she were then I would deploy her.

Oh!, but she can be useful the whole game, it just depends on what you want her to do.

As a Sniper or Berserker, she will be a physical killer in Player Phase. I am about to complete a campaign in Lunatic with ten units and no pre-promotes, and she was effective in her role the entire run.

Remember those pesky Poison Grisly Master Ninjas? She one-hits them. And those Sorcerers with Seal Resistance in Ch 18? She one-hits them. Or the annoying foxes? She can hold them with a Short Bow. Or the Bolt Pegasi? She one-hits them. Or the bulky Spear Masters? She one-rounds them. Or the infinite Faceless? She one-rounds them. Or the annoying cry-baby Hana? She one-hits her.  Or the Sniper Gang? She tanks them all. Or the Master of Arms Gang with weapon breakers? She one-rounds them. More Magicians and Bolt Pegasi? Yep, she one-hits them. Or the Master Ninjas with Inevitable End? She takes them all, including Saizo and Tits. Or the Staff Savant Maids? She one-hits them.

Effie will never be at Ophelia’s level of mass destruction, but she can be useful.

57 minutes ago, starburst said:

but she can be useful.

So can anybody else? It is in this sense that what natters more is stuff like individual class. So Wyvern Rider it is. PLus lol mages will obliterate her because I need to have her 4 mov get there and then she kills herself

On 2/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, Centh said:

New mystery is the "craft your own unit" Marth one? I think I played an emulator of it once. I ran as a fighter. I've always felt that fighters are amazing, but get screwed by growths/base stats a lot.

It is. And I agree that fighters (and axe infantry in general) are too often screwed by base stats, growths or even both. In the worst cases, those get combined with other factors that are also detrimental to their performance (like in Binding Blade, where axe accuracy is laughable. Or Genealogy of the Holy War, where axes are ungodly heavy with one exception [however, I'd say the real problem here is that the one fighter you can get is worse off than his mounted brother, who's also recruitable; you can only get one, though]. Or the other two GBA games, where they either have bad speed growths or bad speed bases, which their promotion does nothing to fix). That being said, there are some good fighters, but I feel those are the ones that are good in spite of their class, as opposed to because of it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

48 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That being said, there are some good fighters, but I feel those are the ones that are good in spite of their class, as opposed to because of it.

Well in some games axes are good, like in Tellius so in there any unit using an axe gets a bonus.