1. 1. Favorite Roy Design?

• A Beta Roy
    • Melee Roy
    • Official Binding Blade Roy
    • FE13 Einherjar Roy
    • Smash 4 & Ultimate Roy
    • Heroes Roy
    • Another Design of Roy

Despite being from an era when the artwork of FE was on a solid footing (the 1-4 era sorta wasn't, 4 with Treasure started it, 5 really began it), Roy has gone through many designs and redesigns, and who knows? He might have yet more in store. Each is in some way different, in some cases very different, and arguably of some value- save maybe some of the beta designs. I'm not sure if there is a lord that has undergone as much change in their design.

So, which is your favorite Roy? I'll provide some Roy artwork to help- but not all of it. You'll have to find the Cipher stuff and anything else on your own. And I don't count the alts in FEH, only standard Roys.

First, the Beta Roys:

Spoiler

fe6-roy-proto1.pngfe6-roy-proto2.png

Melee Roy:

Spoiler

Roy SSBM.jpg

FE6 Official Roy:

Spoiler

roy.pngRoy

FE13 Einherjar Roy:

Spoiler

046-Roy.png

Smash 4/Ultimate Roy:

Spoiler

File:Roy SSB4.png

Heroes Standard Roy:

Spoiler

Displaying BtlFace.pngDisplaying Face_FC.png

My personal preference is the old classic that is Melee Roy. Not as young as the official Binding Roy, not as unusually old and muscular for Roy as the latest Smash version is it's Ike in disguise I say!. And while Einherjar Roy is a fair compromise of a kid with some ruggedness, I just think Melee, if on the softer side than the Einherjar, does the compromise better.

A combination of Roy's default FE6 design and his Smash Ultimate design.

Default Roy is short and skinny which I really like as it suits the lord Roy is supposed to be. Roy is the youngest lord and is still a boy rather than a man with very shaky stats to boot. As such it just makes sense for him to be a shortie.

Smash Ultimate is what Roy would have been once his game ends. With his young age its pretty possible Roy gets a growth spurt during his adventure and grows into the taller, more buffed figure that Smash Ultimate portrays him as.

I think official Roy is my favorite. He's a boy, not a man, and so that accurately portrays that. Also I just think that art style is very pretty.

Awakening Roy doesn't look like Roy. It looks like a generic anime boy with red hair (I LOVE the style, but it's too generic if I'm being a bit objective). And Smash Roy looks like what he should look like in a few years.

Heroes Roy is my second favorite because it's closest to official Roy!

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Despite being from an era when the artwork of FE was on a solid footing (the 1-4 era sorta wasn't, 4 with Treasure started it, 5 really began it), Roy has gone through many designs and redesigns, and who knows? He might have yet more in store. Each is in some way different, in some cases very different, and arguably of some value- save maybe some of the beta designs. I'm not sure if there is a lord that has undergone as much change in their design.

So, which is your favorite Roy? I'll provide some Roy artwork to help- but not all of it. You'll have to find the Cipher stuff and anything else on your own. And I don't count the alts in FEH, only standard Roys.

for me, it's the Awakening one.

not only because the artwork itself is really nice, but also because it's the same artist that did the character design for the Drakengard franchise and The Last Story: Kimihiko Fujisaka.

Spoiler

dg3-main-characters.jpg

dg3-zero-and-mikhail.jpg

tls-kanan-and-elza.jpg

tls-kanan-and-tiger.jpg

tls-illust-cast-color.jpg

i honestly hope he'll work on a FE title as well in the future as main character designer.

Edited by Fenreir

Prior to Smash 4, I'd have went with FE13 Einherjar Roy, but then I saw his Smash 4 render, and loved it immediately (and I finally got his amiibo recently). His Ultimate render is nice and all, but why of him doing a side tilt? His render on the Everyone is Here! panorama is cooler imo. Back to his actual Smash render: I echo Etrurian Emperor's statement; it's endgame Roy, promoted and standing proud in the wake of Zephiel and Idunn's defeat.

Btw I always found it interesting how he keeps his scabbard on the same hip as his dominant hand, rather uncommon for swordsmen. Though his GBA animation w/ the Binding Blade could suggest he is actually ambidextrous or close to it. Not bad for a 15-year-old boy.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

I think I have to say the Smash one, though this is slightly marred by his leg guards, I am not liking those personally.

Einherjar Roy's got a lot going for him but feels a little too off colour personally, If Heroes' leg guards were on Smash Roy I think we'd have the best one personally and I say all this knowing I'm not the biggest fan of Roy's design to begin with.

I just don't like the Heroes one. Maybe I'm prejudiced because I don't like BUNBUN or how everything BUNBUN draws have the same face. It seems like Lilina's face is just a palette swap of Roy's. 

My favourite one is the Awakening card Roy because it looks really sleek. I can't really argue for which one "represents" Roy the best because, honestly, Roy in his own game was really underwhelming, so it's difficult to portray him in any specific way. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

First, the Beta Roys:

Reveal hidden contents

The beta designs at the bottom of the second page look really good. I especially like the one on the bottom right because it was born the same day I was... not that that's an important factor that influences my decision or anything.

My personal preference is Einherjar Roy. I think it's about the closest we'll see to an "adult" Roy, and it looks super clean, too.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

First, the Beta Roys:

Hide contents

I really like the bottom left one on the 1st page and the 2 bottom ones on the right, I like them because it shows way more armor while his final design felt like he was way more exposed.

FE13 Einherjar Roy:

Hide contents

046-Roy.png

This one just looks bad, it looks nothing like Roy except for his hair.

Smash 4/Ultimate Roy:

Hide contents

File:Roy SSB4.png

I don't like how the cape looks so I don't like it much, it looks really weird.

I like the mounted red sword Roy in heroes why didn't you add that?

Out of all these options I go with classic Roy.