Drama CD "Foreign Skies, Daybreak Forest" Translation

Hi, just dropping by because I recently translated the FE Echoes Drama CD "Foreign Skies, Daybreak Forest" here:

https://garmtranslations.wordpress.com/2019/02/20/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-drama-cd/

(The post contains text translation only, no audio)

I tried my best to write it so it can be read independently from audio, but I still recommend listening if you get the chance!

It's not a one-to-one literal translation, but I tried not to deviate TOO much like I'm prone to doing haha (but also I'm not really a writer, so I can't hope to even get close to Echoes' writing level). However I admit my hearing's quite trash and I'm not really good at distinguishing seiyuu voices, so if you spot any important errors while listening/reading feel free to let me know ^^' Hopefully not..!
Nevertheless I hope it'll be an enjoyable read!

Edit: Forgot to mention; the drama CD takes place after the battle at the border that occurs in the beginning of Act 4, so it may contain spoilers for anything before that! Everything after that is safe.

Edited by garmmy

That's quite a long one so no wonder it took so long for a translation to turn up. A very nice job. Imagine it must have taken a lot of work. 

The premise is pretty great. The Ram team having the most problems with villages being burnt makes sense. It also seems to continue the somewhat more shady version of Lucas we saw in the Rise of the Deliverance. There he took Rigelians hostage and here he offers to take the more nasty stuff from Alm's hands. He and Alm are depicted as pretty close too which I like. 

Now, I know Magnus is a boss in Echoes but is Vidar a canon character as well or unique to the drama cd? Magnus does seem a bit of a weird choice for a scumbag manipulating kids. He seemed more of the honorable warrior type if his death quote was anything to go by. 

Kliff turned out to be pretty baddass here

Rigelian Soldier: Ha, what’s a kid like you doing here?  Did you get separated from your mommy?

Kliff: Why yes, actually. Why don’t we play in the meantime?

Rigelian Soldier: What?

Kliff: Rainbow of purgatory, ascend to the skies! Aura!

Edited by Etrurian emperor

^I had actually only started on it last week, I thought it'd already been translated until well..I realised it wasn't lol.

47 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Now, I know Magnus is a boss in Echoes but is Vidar a canon character as well or unique to the drama cd? Magnus does seem a bit of a weird choice for a scumbag manipulating kids. He seemed more of the honorable warrior type if his death quote was anything to go by.

AHHHH I forgot about in-game Magnus...
In-game Magnus is actually 'Magnum' (マグナム) in the JP version, whereas the Drama CD Magnus is マグヌス (literally 'magunusu').
I copped-out and changed his name to 'Magnhus' for now just to hopefully avoid confusion...

Vidar is ヴィダル in Japanese. I went with 'Vidar' after the Norse god of forest and revenge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Víðarr) since this CD takes place in a forest? Though the pronunciation of their names is a bit different.

They're both unique to the drama CD as far as I'm aware.

Edited by garmmy

Silque: Y-yes. The citizens of the Rigelian Empire, who revere the God of Strength, Duma, value strength above all and shun the weak. So…for a long time, it has been customary among Rigelians to abandon frail newborns in the forest.

Well that's messed up.

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well that's messed up.

Sounds like the stories (true or not) spun about the Spartans. Since Greek influences are in Valentia, it makes sense. Another so I heard is that sons in school would be whipped and have to bear with it as long as possible. Parents if present would yell to their boys demanding they better not collapse.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 hours ago, garmmy said:

^I had actually only started on it last week, I thought it'd already been translated until well..I realised it wasn't lol.

AHHHH I forgot about in-game Magnus...
In-game Magnus is actually 'Magnum' (マグナム) in the JP version, whereas the Drama CD Magnus is マグヌス (literally 'magunusu').
I copped-out and changed his name to 'Magnhus' for now just to hopefully avoid confusion...

Vidar is ヴィダル in Japanese. I went with 'Vidar' after the Norse god of forest and revenge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Víðarr) since this CD takes place in a forest? Though the pronunciation of their names is a bit different.

They're both unique to the drama CD as far as I'm aware.

Thanks a bunch! I've only had time to read the first two parts, but the translations are looking really good so far.

About Magnus, personally I'd pull a Alondite/Ettard and translate his name to Magnum : P

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like the stories (true or not) spun about the Spartans. Since Greek influences are in Valentia, it makes sense. Another so I heard is that sons in school would be whipped and have to bear with it as long as possible. Parents if present would yell to their boys demanding they better not collapse.

Fits well into the case of what Rigel goes to. Attain strength while casting aside their kindness.

Also, this drama CD is doing a wonderful job highlighting the characters. Alm getting called out for shit, messing up, and others questioning his leadership.

Poor Tobin, Always being forced to take blame for messing up in situations. 

And goddammit, Faye is still annoying as ever.

Edited by omegaxis1

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well that's messed up.

I like it. Rigel never really did anything with the power fetish they supposedly had. Its high ranking positions are decided by birth instead of skill just like in Sofia, the Duma cult are more like every generic dragon cult instead of devoted Spartans and a warrior culture like Daein seems pretty much absent. Rigelian parents ditching frail kids on the other hand does fit the description of a people that have grown powerful but cold. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like it. Rigel never really did anything with the power fetish they supposedly had. Its high ranking positions are decided by birth instead of skill just like in Sofia, the Duma cult are more like every generic dragon cult instead of devoted Spartans and a warrior culture like Daein seems pretty much absent. Rigelian parents ditching frail kids on the other hand does fit the description of a people that have grown powerful but cold. 

Actually, doesn't this Drama CD demonstrate what the theme of Echoes SHOULD have been? To be strong like Duma, but kind like Mila?

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, doesn't this Drama CD demonstrate what the theme of Echoes SHOULD have been? To be strong like Duma, but kind like Mila?

Given the Accordion also did patch up, I see IS is trying retroactively to address some issues, perhaps.

And on the topic of drama CDs, since Blazing and Dawn are getting one next, I wonder if they botch them all these years later? I see some potential for Blazing's set during Valorous Roland (the chapter after Eliwood promotes where he goes to fetch Durandal and briefly meets Roland's spirit). Not so much for RD, since it is just retreading 3-7- the Micaiah vs. Ike battle on the Ribahn River. I don't expect either would, being scenarios from the actual games as opposed to this SoV CD being something not at all in the game, rather wholly original.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given the Accordion also did patch up, I see IS is trying retroactively to address some issues, perhaps.

And on the topic of drama CDs, since Blazing and Dawn are getting one next, I wonder if they botch them all these years later? I see some potential for Blazing's set during Valorous Roland (the chapter after Eliwood promotes where he goes to fetch Durandal and briefly meets Roland's spirit). Not so much for RD, since it is just retreading 3-7- the Micaiah vs. Ike battle on the Ribahn River. I don't expect either would, being scenarios from the actual games as opposed to this SoV CD being something not at all in the game, rather wholly original.

I think a drama cd focusing on the Greils vs Dawn brigade could actually work really well. It could make for some nice battle interactions. Things like Edward clashing with Boyd or Leonardo having an archery duel with Shinon or Rolf. It could be a retelling of the Ribahn battle but I think it would be more interesting if its an original battle with a twist. Both sides clash but when they hear a large bandit clan is assaulting a nearby village they begrudgingly work together to drive them out. 

46 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Possible but Lucas offering to shield Alm from having to make the more shady decisions doesn't seem like Alm embracing his inner Duma. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Possible but Lucas offering to shield Alm from having to make the more shady decisions doesn't seem like Alm embracing his inner Duma. 

But he is still going through with the decisions, even if he doesn't like it. It's not fully embracing it, but he;s still doing things one of Mila's teachings would abhor to go through.

He's not fully Duma, nor is he fully Mila. 

Spoiler

Also, does anyone feel bothered by how the Holy Mother is no doubt Alm's mother? This is something that I am positive many people would prefer to have seen in the original game.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think a drama cd focusing on the Greils vs Dawn brigade could actually work really well. It could make for some nice battle interactions. Things like Edward clashing with Boyd or Leonardo having an archery duel with Shinon or Rolf. It could be a retelling of the Ribahn battle but I think it would be more interesting if its an original battle with the twist. Both sides clash but when they hear a large bandit clan is assaulting a nearby village they begrudgingly work together to drive them out. 

It is 3-7. This is an actual thing:

https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/16/fire-emblem-expo-merchandise-new-drama-cds/#more-49660

This is a drama CD based on the events of Part 3 Chapter 7: Rivals Collide. It includes the voices of Ike, Soren, Titania, Micaiah and Sothe/the Black Knight. There are 6 tracks in total. It releases alongside the Blazing Blade Drama CD, on 17th April 2019.

Just in case you didn't understand that. Although "based on" always allows room for artistic license.

• 1 year later...