Praying for a school defense chapter

Alright, first time I saw the second trailer and got a load of the school, my immediate thought:

”This thing needs to come under siege.”

Seriously, the premise alone sounds like it’d make one of the best defense chapters in the entire series. This massive, epic battle as your free-roam home base is suddenly the battlefield for a massive siege chapter, fighting soldiers in the halls and classrooms, beating hordes away from the doors, maybe seeing the teachers suddenly start fighting and turn out to be badass... I got serious chills just thinking about it.

Needless to say I will be very happy if that happens. The series has been sorely lacking defense chapters of late.

Edited by Alastor15243

I am down for a chapter like that! I can imagine the emotional impact of having a sanctuary, a place you think is safe, be invaded. You, your students, the other students and teachers, must defend the school/monastery and drive the opposing force(es) out.  

So, in other words, XCOM's base defense missions? I'd be down for that. Especially if base customization is present (just like in XCOM) and you get to play through your level tactically.

If they do do this, I ask they the attack happen when the player least expects it, and please have an epic cutscene to go with it:

I'd imagine this would take place right at the end of the school arc, so serve as a fitting ending to the part of the story, to show how far your units have come in the first few chapters, and of course to give us a brilliant defence chapter. I'd imagine despite winning the monastery is still destroyed, forcing Byleth and the students out, perhaps catalysing the church's reaction due to their base being attacked too.

12 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Yes please! That would be very interesting and fun.

As a sort of add on to that. Like maybe once you’ve finished clearing one section the members of that house could split up and act as reinforcement units to your other armies. Also while working on one map little speech blurbs could pop up every now and then where characters are like “we’re being overwhelmed!” Or “we need reinforcements!” Or “the enemy has broken through the barrier!” To lend a sense of urgency to the situation. Also maybe a “time till reinforcements” timer and healthbarfor the different points of defense.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

while working on one map little speech blurbs could pop up every now and then where characters are like “we’re being overwhelmed!” Or “we need reinforcements!” Or “the enemy has broken through the barrier!” To lend a sense of urgency to the situation

I am liking this idea. And then if you ignore the warnings, more enemies come in (stronger ones) and you get a non-standard game over. If you send reinforcements, the game rewards you somehow (fewer enemy reinforcements maybe???).

8 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

More defense objectives are always welcome, they're usually some of my favorite maps. But it's possible we'll be the ones laying siege to Garreg Mach later in the game. 

That would also make dramatic irony between the positive setting of the school arc and the negative and most likely heart wrenching destruction of Garreg Mach.

9 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

More defense objectives are always welcome, they're usually some of my favorite maps. But it's possible we'll be the ones laying siege to Garreg Mach later in the game. 

I’m hoping not. It’d be cool, but it wouldn’t have quite the same charm.

a few jokes can be made about this concept, but I don't know if I am allowed to or not.

either way, fates did have some my castle defense chapters so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us something here.

I'd be down for this, but I'm kind of expecting an assault on the Church as an end-ish game battle(s) more than a defense. But it certainly could work as an early game fight that ends the Academy Arc and acts as the major inciting event for the main conflict and departure from the church and school. Would be novel and interesting to experience a map, or series of maps, from both the perspective of a defender and then later on as the assaulter. 

If it happened, someone should better wrap themselves up in a flag and jump off.

Seriously, though, I would expect the Academy to come under attack at some point. Regardless of context.

Guest noodle spadoodle
9 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Oh and you could switch between the different houses to defend different parts of the school.

This comment actually reminded me of one section right at the end of NieR:Automata, where 

Spoiler

you're seamlessly switching between 9S and A2 to get to the top of the Tower. Look it up if you don't mind Automata spoilers - it's a super epic scene with super epic music.

I don't really think 3H will do anything of that sort (swapping to different Houses inbetween turns), but if they do manage to pull it off somehow, and execute it well, I'll be very happy.

7 hours ago, Disclaimer said:

Also, this. I love this idea, whether it's in the same route, or if it happens on different House routes.

I think this idea could work really well, especially if they raise the stakes by having villager type characters (or even unarmed students of yours) as units you need to protect.

When I thought of this, my mind immediately thought about Valkyria Chronicle 2's missions centering around the assault on Lanseal Academy and the emotional, social, and material impact that had on the game's overarching storyline. It could work well as either an endgame or a climatic point in FE:TH's story (The Harry Potter jokes and comparisons would probably reach a high point though).

My only question would be who exactly would attack the school; making it one of the three nations on the continent could turn the map into a sort of civil war and add real emotional impact to the story, while a different outside force could serve as a unifying factor for the student factions

Make it like the Battle of Hogwarts, multiple fronts, having to split forces, make a multiparter like @Book Bro suggested.

19 hours ago, Margarine said:

I think this idea could work really well, especially if they raise the stakes by having villager type characters (or even unarmed students of yours) as units you need to protect.

When I thought of this, my mind immediately thought about Valkyria Chronicle 2's missions centering around the assault on Lanseal Academy and the emotional, social, and material impact that had on the game's overarching storyline. It could work well as either an endgame or a climatic point in FE:TH's story (The Harry Potter jokes and comparisons would probably reach a high point though).

My only question would be who exactly would attack the school; making it one of the three nations on the continent could turn the map into a sort of civil war and add real emotional impact to the story, while a different outside force could serve as a unifying factor for the student factions

This would work well thematically if it's what they go for.