Who will return?

Many FE games have at least 1 previous character returning. So who do you think might be this time or who do you want to be?

I would prefer to have at least 1 from pre-awakening games. Since Heroes has introduced previous characters i think that's possible..

In the end i hope its anything than what they did with Fates with awakening characters...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only character that would make sense to me, honestly, is Ike. Anyone else would feel like a shoehorning/forced inclusion.

And I am biased for Ike, but I have a good reason for this opinion. As shitty as I still think his ending is, he still traveled to other lands and he's the only notable and popular character known to have done so. I wouldn't mind seeing him again though, of course, so long as his implementation is done right.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The only character that would make sense to me, honestly, is Ike. Anyone else would feel like a shoehorning/forced inclusion.

And I am biased for Ike, but I have a good reason for this opinion. As shitty as I still think his ending is, he still traveled to other lands and he's the only notable and popular character known to have done so. I wouldn't mind seeing him again though, of course, so long as his implementation is done right.

I would love to have Ike especially if he is going to be our gay choice

1 minute ago, Pegasus Knight said:

I would love to have Ike especially if he is going to be our gay choice

I'd prefer him to not be that, honestly. I'd like to see him with a wife and children if anything involving romance and family. Supporting him would be fine, but I don't want to see anymore everyone x everyone and characters that can only support the avatar.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Anna, and that better be it. Let Three Houses stand on its own, please IS. The Awakening expies and cameos added nothing to Fates besides making its world even more confusing.

i am not familiar with any pre 3ds games, so no one else makes sense? echoes has many recurring characters but i guess gaiden was a somewhat a direct sequel of a previous game, right?

Edited by Pegasus Knight

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd prefer him to not be that, honestly. I'd like to see him with a wife and children if anything involving romance and family. Supporting him would be fine, but I don't want to see anymore everyone x everyone and characters that can only support the avatar.

maybe he could return with his husbando soren :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

maybe he could return with his husbando soren :ph34r:

Please don't. Can we not beat a dead horse here please?

And besides, I said WIFE.

Edited by Anacybele

It all depends if Three Houses is going to implement the Outrealms.

Before that, Fire Emblem was reasonable whenever characters showed up in more than one game. Outside of outlier Anna (which was now revealed to have a sister-clone army), characters only showed up again if the game was a sequel, prequel, or took place in the same world and during the same time frame (for Gaiden/SoV). The only exception was Jake's cameo in Genealogy. He's the same Jake, but now somehow traveled a thousand years to the past. Balzing Sword's Jake is at least a clearly different person.

Fates pulled the Outrealms thing to bring Awakening characters in, and then used reincarnation to explain the rest.

Though it didn't happened for SoV, do remember Fates also did popularity polls like Awakening. If they go the same route again, perhaps expect the Fates winners in 3H. Again, if they go that route.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

Oh please no, I always disliked how they reused Awakening characters in Fates.

I really hate it too. They did not need to be shoehorned in like that, all of them could've easily been original characters and should've been original characters.

Echoes is in the same world as Shadow Dragon and set in between SD and New Mystery, so the whitewings being in the game make sense.  The only person I want to return is Anna, because it looks like Three Houses is in its own world.  Amiibos are fine since I might as well get some use out of them other then looking pretty on my shelf, but shoving a character in the game for no other reason the they are "popular" like what happened in Fates will just make me sad.

I love returning characters and all that but I realized that what would be even cooler (for me) would be if the new characters in this game stand on their own, we get to like them, and then in another future game we can have them appear and think, "Wow, noice!" (especially if their ending is left ambiguous, could end up anywhere in-universe).

So yeah, if we get any returning characters they might steal some of the spotlight of the new ones.

I wouldn't mind Anna returning, and I hope they don't use the Outrealms to explain certain characters coming over.

Edited by SorrowOfAcheron

Hopefully, only Anna. I'd much rather the continents remain fairly self-contained. 

29 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I agree that his ending is really, really bad. Personally, though, I'd rather not see Ike himself appear. I'd rather see subtle nods to him involving legacies he may have left behind on each of the lands that he visited. Perhaps Jeralt's mercenary company was founded by a student of Ike? Or maybe mercenaries/heroes having a third promotion titled Vanguard, with the description saying:

One-Man Armies that lead by example from the front lines. They take inspiration from a legendary swordsman that journeyed here from a distant land.

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I agree that his ending is really, really bad. Personally, though, I'd rather not see Ike himself appear. I'd rather see subtle nods to him involving legacies he may have left behind on each of the lands that he visited. Perhaps Jeralt's mercenary company was founded by a student of Ike? Or maybe mercenaries/heroes having a third promotion titled Vanguard, with the description saying:

One-Man Armies that lead by example from the front lines. They take inspiration from a legendary swordsman that journeyed here from a distant land.

Yeah, this sounds neat to me! And I'm always up for Ike references. <3

46 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd like to see him with a wife and children if anything involving romance and family. 

Maybe not with a wife, since very few Fire emblem characters seem to have both a canon mother and a canon father. But he could come with Priam! Not sure if Priam is Ike's child, but he comes with Ragnell and has a similar looking headband and cape. Priam's armour also reminds me of Ike's vanguard armour for some reason... maybe it's the pauldron? I'm not really sure but I think Priam and Ike are definitely connected somehow. 

As for a returning character, I'm not a huge fan on those, unless it's a post-game easter egg. I think references to past games would be nice, like a Naga mention, a weapon from the other games (Bamboo stick lol), or something subtle like that. As long as it's nothing too in-your-face. 

There are exactly two characters I'd be okay with seeing in this game, and only one of them doesn't come with a dumb caveat.

Obviously I like the 'Boro.  However, you want to bring her to this game, you probably will have to bring several others from her game.  And that's not what I'd want this game to do.

Anna, on the other hand, is a reasonable addition.  Maybe Jake, too, but Anna has never significantly impacted the story in a bad way via her addition like the Awakening trio did.

I won't really count amiibo units unless they decide for some ungodly reason that there needs to be a solid story reason they're there apart from "I got summoned from another world".  Keep them relatively detached like in Fates and Echoes, and everything should be fine.

6 minutes ago, leocanta said:

Maybe not with a wife, since very few Fire emblem characters seem to have both a canon mother and a canon father. But he could come with Priam! Not sure if Priam is Ike's child, but he comes with Ragnell and has a similar looking headband and cape. Priam's armour also reminds me of Ike's vanguard armour for some reason... maybe it's the pauldron? I'm not really sure but I think Priam and Ike are definitely connected somehow. 

As for a returning character, I'm not a huge fan on those, unless it's a post-game easter egg. I think references to past games would be nice, like a Naga mention, a weapon from the other games (Bamboo stick lol), or something subtle like that. As long as it's nothing too in-your-face. 

Priam is not Ike's child, he's Ike's distant descendant.

And many FE characters are married though. Some are even already married in-game. So it's perfectly fine for Ike to be as well.

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Priam is not Ike's child, he's Ike's distant descendant.

And many FE characters are married though. Some are even already married in-game. So it's perfectly fine for Ike to be as well.

30 minutes ago, leocanta said:

Let's not personally beat the dead horse of the case of "Ike's sexuality" here. 

Instead, @vanguard333 makes the right call of just have subtle references. Let it be open for interpretation.

---

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

Oh please no, I always disliked how they reused Awakening characters in Fates.

Anna is the only one I wouldn't mind.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I really hate it too. They did not need to be shoehorned in like that, all of them could've easily been original characters and should've been original characters.

Though to be fair, most of the Awakening kids are all subject to being able to appear. This is because most of them left their world and are just traveling around. Owian, INigo, and Severa being in Fates are because of popularity. But they each have endings where they traveling around.

Severa - Secret Dreamer
Eager to shrug off any kind of intimacy, Severa began a solitary journey—but once a year she was said to visit her family and yell at them for old times' sake.

Owain - Chosen One
Owain tried settling down in Ylisse but ultimately set off on a lengthy quest to "stay his sword hand." Oddball heroes matching his description continue to crop up in local legends to this day.

Inigo - Flower Picker
Inigo traveled the world, ever ready with a smile or a solution when trouble started to brew. His services and performances were rewarded with the best currency: the joy and gratitude of others.

Laurent - The Elucidator
Longing to meet his mother's intellectual standards, Laurent went on an expedition around the world. His curious nature led to many adventures, which he later put to paper in a rousing novel.

Yarne - Timid Taguel
Yarne traveled the world in search of a safer haven, a journey that was ironically fraught with danger. Nevertheless, he said to have beaten his fears and lived to a ripe old age.

Lucina - Foreseer (未来を知る者 Mirai o Shiru Mono lit. The One Who Knows The Future)

"Lucina disappeared after whispering these words to her infant self: "Yours will be a happy future." Did she journey to another land or back to her own time? ...No one knows for certain."

You get the idea. The Awakening kids more often than not have reason to explore the world and such. They don't belong in any world now.