Any worries?

Lord Ice

1 hour ago, Thane said:

"In Fire Emblem Three Houses, you are the hero the world needs". 

Gotta admit, every time I rewatch that trailer for one reason or another, this part sticks out as some kind of bad omen. Her tone really doesn't help either.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I wouldn’t say corrin was the only one who had it. I can’t speak for kris but Robin had it as well. The difference with Robin however is that it was implemented in a way that felt earned, natural, and organic. It was done in a way to make the player feel good without sacrificing the integrity of the other characters. I could go on a whole tirade about this but yeah

Yeah I know they did Robin much better, so really I don't find his story to be forced or just stupid like Corrin's.

Really I guess my point was is that one line doesn't tell us anything, they could handle Byleth just as well as they did with Robin, or just as bad as they did with Corrin, we don't know yet, and I feel like people like to throw the term "Player worship!!!!" around a lot even though it was really only a problem in one game (Or at least that's my opinion) 

34 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I feel like people like to throw the term "Player worship!!!!" around a lot even though it was really only a problem in one game

I would dispute that it's only in one game though. However, even if it were an isolated Fates incident, I'd say it's part of a wider trend with Japanese entertainment media, and that has people concerned. 

45 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Her tone really doesn't help either.

Glad to hear I'm not paranoid here; something about the way she says it makes me raise an eyebrow just as much as the words themselves. 

49 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Gotta admit, every time I rewatch that trailer for one reason or another, this part sticks out as some kind of bad omen. Her tone really doesn't help either.

There's an emphasis on the words "you" and "needs" that makes it sound like the player is going to be the saviour of the world.

Further along, when she says "You alone begin to see a mysterious girl named Sothis", once again there's that odd wording that makes it sound like the Avatar is special.

Kris, Robin and Corrin all had plenty of player worship. Corrin just happened to be the worst by a significant margin, particularly due to being the sole lead and Lord of the game and not a tag along like Kris/Robin. I'll take another Robin gladly over that, but I would certainly like for an improvement over that as well. The fact that Byleth is being positioned as the "Hero" and more importantly with powers and connections that will likely be critical to the main story that definitely has me a bit concerned as that feels a good deal more Corrin like than Robin. My personal ideal is a player avatar that functions mechanically like Robin, unique unit w/ supports, but has the plot importance and influence of Mark, aka none. That's not to say a more prominent player avatar can't be a good character and always ends with player worship, but it's such a high chance for very little pay off in my mind.

This really makes me wary of the House choice and what that will mean for the story. I really don't want to see another Fates situation where our Choice and who Byleth teaches completely rewrites how events transpire, where in one playthrough Edelgard is the clear hero but in another Dimitri is and Edelgard's role is completely different. The most likely case is that the overall story stays the same regardless and just the Lord/House we choose gets a bit more prominence, but ultimately all doing the same thing together. 

Personally though I would vastly prefer if they wrote a fixed plot with each character having a set role in the story and our choice simply changes what point of view we see events unfold. So say if Edelgard is always the hero and driving force who wins in the end that's what happens no matter what. Same for if say Dimitri is the antagonist, if we choose him instead our presence won't change history, he'll still lose in the end we'll just be there for the whole thing. This though seems really unlikely given how Byleth is being positioned so it seems very unlikely that their presence and House choice won't turn the tide so speak in that Lord's favor. 

52 minutes ago, Thane said:

I would dispute that it's only in one game though. However, even if it were an isolated Fates incident, I'd say it's part of a wider trend with Japanese entertainment media, and that has people concerned. 

I agree with this. Honestly the whole avatar and player/viewer projection for wish-fulfillment is a biproduct of a much larger issue in Japan atm. At least as far as I can tell but this isn’t the thread for that

1 hour ago, Sushi_Cat said:

There's an emphasis on the words "you" and "needs" that makes it sound like the player is going to be the saviour of the world.

Further along, when she says "You alone begin to see a mysterious girl named Sothis", once again there's that odd wording that makes it sound like the Avatar is special.

It's not just that though, she sounds... exaggeratingly radiant, like she's reading some tale about a princess to an infant. It feels like she's telling us about the best news ever, but alas...

1 hour ago, Chitsuuki said:

I may say something stupid but in the japenese trailer (with the traduction) the narrator doesn't say that.

I saw that in an analyse video but I don't remember which

That's correct, the japanese narrator only says that you(the player) are the main character.

1 hour ago, Chitsuuki said:

So this is the english version that worship the player ?

Eh, it's a bit early to say, but it seems unlikely to me. It's probably just a difference in advertising, if that.

I guess I'm just sick of it is all. I'd rather play as an actual character instead of "generic self insert whom has little personality so you can relate to them no matter who you are yet makes their own decisions and can't look like you despite being a self insert version 4.0 discount Ike edition".

On the bright side it makes me more curious about the 3 main leads.

My only worry at this point is my lack of faith in the writing quality all around. Story, characters, supports -- they're all up in the air. Kind of hoping Byleth is a silent protag at this point (not holding my breath of a defined (read:good) personality, them still being a self-insert and all) At the very least they've proven time and again that they can make a fun game so at this point I'm not too worried.

it will be hilarious when it turns out that all of byleth's character interactions were re written in localisation to have everyone talk about just how great he is, but in japanese it is played fairly dry and byleth is treated as just another part of the team.

16 hours ago, Cysx said:

It's not just that though, she sounds... exaggeratingly radiant, like she's reading some tale about a princess to an infant. It feels like she's telling us about the best news ever, but alas...

Byleth is a secret prince/princess confirmed?

The same worries others have expressed. Blah blah player worship, blah blah story, blah blah.

What I'm REALLY worried about though, is how much unit customizing we're going to be doing. As much as building a team of unstoppable gods sounds, in a game like Fire Emblem it makes actually playing the game pointless. It's why I never go back to playing Awakening.

I’m cautiously hyped for the game right now. My fear is that, like with Fates, my hype gets little by little more destroyed with more information being released about the game. To the point where I feel like skipping the game.

I feel like IntSys does a better job now with releasing information about the game. I think it keeps us on our toes. (inb4 that moment when multiple trailers are shown where story and gameplay is spoiled).

• 4 weeks later...

The only concern I have is that the game won't be fun.

I've realized that being worried that a game won't be the way that you want it is really hard if your preferences are as specific as mine.  As long as I enjoy the game I'm happy, if the game is more then fun and actually has qualities that I appreciate, then it would be a nice surprise but I'm not counting on it.

Edited by LJwalhout