Can someone provide me a good FE3 guide so I can start off on the right foot?

Swift Saturn

Pretty self-explanatory, I was just wondering if anyone could link me to a good guide on OG Mystery of the Emblem so I can have all the knowledge I need to start off correctly. Thanks in advance. 

Well, the page on the game from this site, seems to be helping quite a bit, but I would also appreciate people describing their experiences and informing me of things to look out for.

22 minutes ago, Swift Saturn said:

Well, the page on the game from this site, seems to be helping quite a bit, but I would also appreciate people describing their experiences and informing me of things to look out for.

You can't double with javelins.

Watch out for the boss of Book 2, chapter 2, he moves when you get in range and has a Ridersbane.

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You can't double with javelins.

Watch out for the boss of Book 2, chapter 2, he moves when you get in range and has a Ridersbane.

Can't double with Javs? That's wack, that's also really nice to know.

2 minutes ago, Swift Saturn said:

Can't double with Javs? That's wack, that's also really nice to know.

Their weight is 20.

Dragon breath is also 20, but unlike javelins, Breath ignores the defense of all non dragon units.

Speaking of dragons, Manaketes function like the Laguz of POR and RD. When a dragon stone is used, the manakete turns into a dragon based class for a certain number of turns, determined by luck. Enemy Manaketes get to stay in Dragon form indefinitely though.

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Their weight is 20.

Dragon breath is also 20, but unlike javelins, Breath ignores the defense of all non dragon units.

Speaking of dragons, Manaketes function like the Laguz of POR and RD. When a dragon stone is used, the manakete turns into a dragon based class for a certain number of turns, determined by luck. Enemy Manaketes get to stay in Dragon form indefinitely though.

Wait, weapons have weight in this game? They didn't in the remake, so I assumed they didn't have any here too.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Yes, weapons have weight.

Weight was something New Mystery of the Emblem removed along with dismounting.

Hmm.. actually kinda unfortunate. I liked weapons not having weight for a change. Sometimes you just want strict upgrades to weapons.

Edited by Swift Saturn

6 minutes ago, Swift Saturn said:

Hmm.. actually kinda unfortunate. I liked weapons not having weight for a change. Sometimes you just want strict upgrades to weapons.

I'm actually considering doing a fan patch that removes weight, except for breath obviously.

6 minutes ago, Swift Saturn said:

Also on another note, because I'm too lazy to search for it, can anyone provide me with the link to the latest English patch file?

Here's the official page.

I can also attach my translated rom to a post if your emulator uses SMC files?

4 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'm actually considering doing a fan patch that removes weight, except for breath obviously.

Here's the official page.

I can also attach my translated rom to a post if your emulator uses SMC files?

Thanks, and I'm not sure. Can SNES 9x use SMC?

8 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Here's the IPS and SMC files.

Fire Emblem - Version 1.0 (J).ips

Thank you. Although on second thought maybe you linking the smc file wasn't the smartest idea.

Edited by Swift Saturn

some more tips:

- Devil Swords work well against Earth Dragons, as long as they don't backfire and damage you instead;

- mounted units can't go inside buildings unless you dismount. available gear is limited depending if you're on foot(swords only) or on horse/pegasus/wyvern(lances only);

- after leveling up to lv10 in the arenas, you reach a breakpoint where the further you try to go, the harder/impossible battles will start to come up;

- Ogma and Merric are known to be among the strongest units in the game;

- Manaketes are overpowered.

9 hours ago, Fenreir said:

some more tips:

- Devil Swords work well against Earth Dragons, as long as they don't backfire and damage you instead;

- mounted units can't go inside buildings unless you dismount. available gear is limited depending if you're on foot(swords only) or on horse/pegasus/wyvern(lances only);

- after leveling up to lv10 in the arenas, you reach a breakpoint where the further you try to go, the harder/impossible battles will start to come up;

- Ogma and Merric are known to be among the strongest units in the game;

- Manaketes are overpowered.

Thanks for that, especially the 1st and 3rd tips.