Samurai Shodown Returns: Game is out

Jedi

The long running SNK Weapon based fighting game will be returning, and with a bang, being one of the featured games at EVO this year. 

evo_2019_lineup.jpg

Samurai Shodown has always been a favorite of mine and i've been waiting for a new game, but I didn't expect this kind of reawakening.

Edited by Jedi

I already said it like one year ago but what a time to play Fighting Games. It's almost certain that you'll find something to fit your shoe.

Also, since SamSho will be at Evo2019 it is almost sure that the game will be out by Summer.

13 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Dude what this game doesn't even have a release date. Taking Melee's spot before anybody knows if it's good is dirty.

I don't think this will do any damage to Melee tbh, let other games shine tbh.

It'll probably be back anyways.

37 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Guys, stupid question but, when they say "Windows" does it also mean Steam or will it be exclusive to Microsoft's Store?

I think it means Steam in this case, but it could even be both.

I don't really like games being in tournaments on their first release / year because I don't find the play as engaging as a spectator when there is game isn't developed. But I guess that ship sailed years ago. I understand their is an appeal to watching pros in the process of figuring things out , but it isn't for me. I would rather see the same people in the same game a few months from now and I feel they will do things with more preparation and intensity that they will in any early release tournament. 

I figured i'd show this off too from V Special 

Just simple play vs a CPU but very quick to show how much damage is typical in the series.

Looking forward to this. Ignoring Heroines, XIV shaped up to be really solid, probably one of my favorite KoFs. Have high hopes for this and XV.

Just waiting on them to announce Cham Cham :>

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

Looking forward to this. Ignoring Heroines, XIV shaped up to be really solid, probably one of my favorite KoFs. Have high hopes for this and XV.

Just waiting on them to announce Cham Cham :>

Seems like you always love using the goons lmao.

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Seems like you always love using the goons lmao.

Yeah, Cham Cham and Earthquake are my mains in Samsho. Huge and tiny characters are just too fun to play, lol.

Speaking of characters, I feel like we'll be getting at least a majority of the classic SS1 cast, but I wonder if they'll add in other fan favorites like Mina and Shiki. Though honestly... I can't say I'm looking forward to any new characters, XIV was rather stale in that regard. Like I dig Sylvie, that's pretty much it. (And even then her costume is so insane, lol)

3 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Yeah, Cham Cham and Earthquake are my mains in Samsho. Huge and tiny characters are just too fun to play, lol.

Speaking of characters, I feel like we'll be getting at least a majority of the classic SS1 cast, but I wonder if they'll add in other fan favorites like Mina and Shiki. Though honestly... I can't say I'm looking forward to any new characters, XIV was rather stale in that regard. Like I dig Sylvie, that's pretty much it. (And even then her costume is so insane, lol)

I think most of this Samsho cast will be made up of 1/2 and 5 characters, I just have a gut feeling about it myself.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I think most of this Samsho cast will be made up of 1/2 and 5 characters, I just have a gut feeling about it myself.

V's roster is kinda polarizing, I feel the characters either hit the mark or completely miss it. Adding Mina, Rasetsumaru, Yoshitora, and Yunfei would feel solid for the new game.

I feel they have to add Basara, too.

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

V's roster is kinda polarizing, I feel the characters either hit the mark or completely miss it. Adding Mina, Rasetsumaru, Yoshitora, and Yunfei would feel solid for the new game.

I feel they have to add Basara, too.

Might be polarizing but it's still one of the most played games. Buuuuut you're probably right.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Might be polarizing but it's still one of the most played games. Buuuuut you're probably right.

Oh yeah, V Special is a really fun game, mechanically it's interesting. It's just that a lot of the character designs are meh... don't get me started on guys like Kusaregedol, lol

7 hours ago, Gemma said:

Oh yeah, V Special is a really fun game, mechanically it's interesting. It's just that a lot of the character designs are meh... don't get me started on guys like Kusaregedol, lol

How "dare" you insult generic demonic big boi. Jk hahahaha.

• 3 weeks later...

New character reveals are expected but nice. Idk how I feel about Charlotte redesign tho...

tbh wouldn't be surprised if they added Iroha at this point, feels like they're laying on the fanservice, at least a little bit lol.

I expected to see Charlotte and Ukyo. I'm glad Tam Tam and Kyoshiro found their way in the base roster.

I'm really surprised about Shiki and Yoshitora though.

Edited by Ycine
Spelling

i don't know how i feel about Charlotte. the outfit desing by itself is ok, but since i remember her always dressed up in plate armor like a knight, it's kind of odd to see her in a new outfit.

glad to see Ukyo is back though. i still remember killing enemies in SamSho 1 with Swallow Return as aerial counter/final attack, good times.

That was a lot of reveals! Good to see all of those folks back though, I was a little surprised to see Shiki but then I remembered she was an oddball favorite back in the day. 

So much so that she got in SVC Chaos.

4 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i don't know how i feel about Charlotte. the outfit desing by itself is ok, but since i remember her always dressed up in plate armor like a knight, it's kind of odd to see her in a new outfit.

The problem for me is that Charlotte's design was purposefully more androgynous. She lost a lot of bulk on her armor, and in turn more of her skin is exposed. And she has like... battle stockings?!

It's not so bad, (I do dig the new hair) just a bit off character and more generic.

Shiki I think isn't too much of a surprise, but it's a nice direction they're taking with the roster, it's hype to see. Also we'll probably see more V chars as well.