I've beaten Awakening multiple times and I never used Nosferatu

iridium137

I keep hearing how Nosferatu is one of the most broken things in Awakening, which is weird because I've never used it. And I've done multiple playthroughs on Hard and Lunatic. I rarely even have a dark mage on my team, and even if I do, my units' stats usually tower over the enemies' by so much that they're basically invincible, and Nosferatu is just overkill.

I find Nosferatu to be overrated, even if it's not difficult to see how it can be useful. Being able to heal while simultaneously damaging the enemy is very appealing, along with having 1-2 range.

However, my main issue with Nosferatu is its durability. I know how easy it is to burn through javelins, especially if the unit is fighting on the front lines and/or tanking, and Nosferatu is in a similar boat, except it's much more expensive. Even if Awakening throws money at you, especially in the mid-late parts of the game, that cost can still add up, and I'd rather use something cheaper yet efficient, even if it's not as flashy.

Personally, when it comes to dark magic, I've always liked Mire. Being able to snipe trouble some enemies with impunity is great.

58 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If using dark magic, I've always preferred Waste myself.

Any reason? Because imo, that accuracy is a real downer - I don't really see the double attack effect as all that great when chances are you're gonna whiff at least one of your attacks.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, when it comes to dark magic, I've always liked Mire. Being able to snipe trouble some enemies with impunity is great.

Any reason? Because imo, that accuracy is a real downer - I don't really see the double attack effect as all that great when chances are you're gonna whiff at least one of your attacks.

You can forge away the accuracy problems. In general I don't find hitting enemies all that difficult in Awakening. I didn't even realize the DS games weren't using True Hit until I played Fates.

I mean, it's broken, but Awakening is full of broken things. The game is a broken mess and sometimes it looks like it was barely playtested. Pair up and the exp system are just as broken as Nosferatu, and yeah, you can easily beat it on lunatic without nosferatu, specially if you solo it with Robin + Chrom.

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I mean, it's broken, but Awakening is full of broken things. The game is a broken mess and sometimes it looks like it was barely playtested.

but that's kind of the reason I love awakening. I don't care if it's broken. I just wanna see how far I can take it. Just how broken can I make a given character. I just love how customizable that game is. It's just too much fun to see how much you can break this game's mechanics

Edited by Ottservia

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

You can forge away the accuracy problems. In general I don't find hitting enemies all that difficult in Awakening. I didn't even realize the DS games weren't using True Hit until I played Fates.

You could, but that'd get mighty expensive. It doesn't really help that anything worth noting is most likely gonna laugh at your hit rates with Waste unless you go completely out of your way to shore up its accuracy, which I don't really feel the need to do with any other weapon because almost nothing else is that inaccurate.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 2/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, Jotari said:

Awakening still uses True Hit. Fates is the one that deviates.

Waste having accuracy issues isn't all that bad for a couple reason. The first being that Awakening has a billion ways for a unit to get +Hit if you're really concerned (and a lot of it just kind of ends up there, which tends to lead to stuff like having perfect or near-perfect accuracy when attacking into Axebreaker swords with Hand Axes). The second is that quadding is typically done to take advantage of Dual Strikes proccing on every attack. Granted, a tome user can usually also hit pretty hard due to trash enemy Res, but that pair-up partner can easily make up a lot of the damage output (especially if they're also using a brave weapon). Waste does take absolutely forever to become available (C24 shop...) without using Spotpass Shops, though.

Definitely agree that it's generally unnecessary to use Nosferatu—broken as it is—since staying ahead of the stat curve is generally enough to win on any difficulty and Veteran is at the top of the overpowered totem pole, facilitating such a scenario. Granted, the EXP floor means that anyone who joins early enough and receives dedicated feeding will start to overtake the enemy (they'll just do it at around 3/4 the rate of Robin).

On 2/28/2019 at 5:35 AM, Hawkwing said:

I find Nosferatu to be overrated, even if it's not difficult to see how it can be useful. Being able to heal while simultaneously damaging the enemy is very appealing, along with having 1-2 range.

However, my main issue with Nosferatu is its durability. I know how easy it is to burn through javelins, especially if the unit is fighting on the front lines and/or tanking, and Nosferatu is in a similar boat, except it's much more expensive. Even if Awakening throws money at you, especially in the mid-late parts of the game, that cost can still add up, and I'd rather use something cheaper yet efficient, even if it's not as flashy.

20 uses of Nosferatu is only 280 gold more than 25 javelins. It also tends to kill garbage RES mooks AND gives you back health. It IS cheap and efficient, hence why it's noted to be one of the fastest and reliable ways to finish all but Lunatic+.

Edited by ChickenWings

Allowing for resets, Nos is still one of the fastest and most reliable ways to get through Lunatic+, too. I believe a couple years back, someone posted an RTA time of less than 3 hours. Much of the time, Vengeance + Nos will get Robin out of a bad situation. The absolute worst of Counter spam can still kill them, but a lot of people will just shrug and reset if that happens. Even playing the set with a more tactical approach, leaving and re-entering a map can usually get it into a state where the Counter placement is unlikely to kill Robin. I believe this is where about half of the initial notion that Lunatic+ is all RNG comes from, because Nos spam is such a fast and easy way to simply overpower said RNG with low-cost rerolls (the other half being people trying to brute-force the early chapters with phalanx-style tactics without the stats to back it up).