Any hopes?

Corrobin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A time skip 1/4 or 1/3 way through the game to a post Academy section
  2. A story about testing the bonds of youthful friendship and their ultimate failure as adults are forced into conflict by competing loyalties and obligations(Kind of like FE4)
  3. Fixed roles within the story that do not change based on house choice, just the PoV we happen to see things from. So if you pick the one of three Lords who becomes the antagonist and loses that's the story you'll experience - no Fates like story changes and victory just because the Avatar is present
  4. Dimitri is the antagonist route, Edelgard the primary protagonist and Claude the neutral that eventually comes to the side of Edelgard
  5. Each route has different focus combat/difficulty wise: Dimitri hard & primarily defensive, Edelgard easy & primarily offensive, Claude normal & a balance of both offensive/defensive maps
  6. A morally complex church that is not explicitly and/or secretly Evil, especially due to manipulation/control by some Evil deity, but is a mix of real people with varying motivations from greed, religious zealotry and misplaced senses of duty/honor/order
  7. Sothis is a trickster god who neither good nor evil, simply there to facilitate events
  8. Despite appearing to be the chosen one, with special time reversal abilities, Byleth in fact cannot change the ultimate fate of his former pupils to become enemies that go to war with one another and even die as a result

I have very little faith or expectation in the vast majority of this occurring beyond the first two in some limited fashion.

30 minutes ago, Enduin said:

A morally complex church that is not explicitly and/or secretly Evil, especially due to manipulation/control by some Evil deity, but is a mix of real people with varying motivations from greed, religious zealotry and misplaced senses of duty/honor/order

I heartily support this point here! There is no plot twist if everyone expects the Church of Seiros to be the antagonists and it's revealed that either the Goddess is evil or there an evil dragon behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, Enduin said:
  1. A morally complex church that is not explicitly and/or secretly Evil, especially due to manipulation/control by some Evil deity, but is a mix of real people with varying motivations from greed, religious zealotry and misplaced senses of duty/honor/order

1 hour ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I heartily support this point here! There is no plot twist if everyone expects the Church of Seiros to be the antagonists and it's revealed that either the Goddess is evil or there an evil dragon behind the scenes.

I have my own theory/hope about the Church having different 'sects' that vary in goodness/badness. Like, one that's more 'Old Testament'-y ("Seiros will have vengeance on you sinners") and one that's more 'New Testament'-y (Love and kindness and acceptance)

Other hope: LGBT characters. I like Niles, Rhajat and Leon, but gimme more!

1. LGBT+ characters who are not stereotypes IE the gay guy doesn't care about clothes the lesbian doesn't constantly hit on girls.  I want these characters to be treated like normal people that have the same likes and dislikes as straight people and not have the really annoying stereotypes.

2. No avatar worship to the extent of like in Fates, have the avatar be treated like other characters and hopefully have some type of rival who while fighting on the same side are able to call out the avatar and don't get along with them.

3. No kids.  Really this has been done enough for awhile and just shoving kids in like in Fates when there is no reason needs to go away.

1. Phoenix Mode

2. S-Supports. Including Byleth x Students.

3. Sothis as a romanceable character.

4. Unpopular opinion but: Byleth being as important as Corrin.

5. Character cameos in the vain of the Nohr trio.

Beyond those things, I don't really have much I absolutely want.

54 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

I have my own theory/hope about the Church having different 'sects' that vary in goodness/badness. Like, one that's more 'Old Testament'-y ("Seiros will have vengeance on you sinners") and one that's more 'New Testament'-y (Love and kindness and acceptance)

Other hope: LGBT characters. I like Niles, Rhajat and Leon, but gimme more!

Yeah, I think so too. There's an Eastern Church and a Western Church on the map. In the trailer, you see some units fighting Western Church soldiers. So I defintely think there will be sects to the main religion in Fodlan. 

More diversity is something I hope for as well. 

23 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

1. LGBT+ characters who are not stereotypes IE the gay guy doesn't care about clothes the lesbian doesn't constantly hit on girls.  I want these characters to be treated like normal people that have the same likes and dislikes as straight people and not have the really annoying stereotypes.

2. No avatar worship to the extent of like in Fates, have the avatar be treated like other characters and hopefully have some type of rival who while fighting on the same side are able to call out the avatar and don't get along with them.

3. No kids.  Really this has been done enough for awhile and just shoving kids in like in Fates when there is no reason needs to go away.

I agree with all your points. If they're going to put in LGBT characters that are just stereotypes, they might as well just not put any in. These things perpetuate negative views on LGBT folks. People are complex and do not always conform to stereotypes (humans are not easily labeled, world). I disliked how they handled Soleil; she had potential but was wasted. I liked Niles better, but even so, I think they could have toned him down. 

I definitely don't want Byleth to end up like Corrin. Nothing Corrin ever did was wrong. Takumi was about the only one who called them out (and some people rant that he's a bad character WTF). They were praised for everything. 

As for kids, I think that they need a break from that. They had a purpose in Genealogy and Awakening, but were just shoehorned into Fates. I hope that is not repeated. 

I hope the harder difficulty settings rock. I know for a lot of people Fates was redeemed solely through Lunatic Conquest and its well curated sense of challenge. But what really prompts me to bring this up is Fire Emblem Echoes and its lack of a Lunatic difficulty. While some might say the game's unique enemy designs and ability to grind probably don't lend itself well to making a harder difficulty, I was definitely shocked to learn after beating the game on Hard/Classic my first time through that this was the most challenging the game could ever get. Beyond a Lunatic mode in Three Houses, encouraging other styles of play would also be welcome. Echoes had its own in-game achievements, so that's the bare minimum I'd ask for in getting players to try out low turn count runs or other challenges. The FE7 ranking system was also very interesting, though I wish it wasn't so vague.

Also, and this is more pie in the sky, but I hope they'll add in additional modes and settings based on popular ROM hacks or play styles in order to capitalize on the clear interest people have in remixing Fire Emblem games. Randomizers, reversed recruitment, 0% growths, an Iron Man mode, fixed stat growths like in FE9, just a long list of modifiers you can toggle on and off when selecting a new game. 

I do hope we see a much greater diversity in all aspects with regards to the characters, LGBTQ+ representation among them. Just on that subject the games generally have quite large casts of 30-60 playable units alone so it really shouldn't be a big issue if 1/4 or so are non-hetero/cis-gendered. Even if there happen to be S-Supports which many treat as a Zero Sum game if they miss out any potential partners.

Beyond that though so far we've seen 24 playable characters, including Byleth and the two other Teachers, with 3 other students likely unseen if we accept each House has 8 students. That's half the cast going by most games average units of around 52. And so far they are extremely same-y looking, overwhelming white, young and of high social standing. We'll definitely get a couple that are from common stock, but chances are the vast majority of those 24 will be from Nobility. Which makes for a really poor sampling of the larger society. Some of the best games in the series were ones with more diverse casts of characters from all walks of life and backgrounds that really helped to flesh out the world and give a broader perspective on events and life. So from the remaining cast, if we're lucky another 25+, I really hope we see a much greater mix of people in terms of race, age, body shape, social rank and overall life experience than what we've seen so far.

The series has always been extremely poor with regards to racial diversity and I hope they improve upon that here somehow. I'm still holding out hope that they've continued on from Fates by branching out beyond purely generic Medieval European cultures, Hoshido was if nothing else a breath of fresh air and they should really keep going down that road. There's so many great cultures they could pull from that would be great additions and really help to round out and flesh out their worlds into more realized and believable settings.

The current homogeneity of the current character could potentially be less of an issue if the game doesn't have all three Houses combine forces eventually and we only have access to a portion of them throughout our entire playthrough based on which House we choose. But it's hard to tell right now exactly how any of that will play out. If we do get all of them eventually it's going to be hard to balance that out. 

Good world building, some lore for any of the legendary games that exist. Well flushed out characters both of the good guys and the villains. No cameos from characters just because they're "poplular". This is a seperate world and continent characters from previous games have no buisness in this game. Plot twists in the story, don't be completely predictable. 

Perhaps other characters can be recruited throughout the course of the game; students and non-students alike. We don't know what kind of story we're getting, so I hope for other recruitable units that aren't connected to the school.

- Exploreable areas besides the monastery, like the towns in SoV.

- Students from other houses being recruitable.

- Base conversations.

- Characters’ voiced reactions on the map like in SoV, not necessary but it would be really nice.

- I’d like it if we move out of the monastery permanently, but I’m not sure how that will affect supports like the one between grey haired archer and blonde student, where they’re eating at the cafeteria/dining hall of the monastery.

- I’d want the church to not be evil, since I’m sick of everyone assuming that about the church. The bigger question is, why is there a Western and Eastern church?

- Good gameplay with a variety of objectives and NO AMBUSH REINFORCEMENTS please.

- SoV magic system, I liked the more unique spells and their HP cost mechanic.

I'd like to see the formations work as a second-dimension weapons triangle (formations triangle!)

I'd like supports to be with anyone but the protagonist, so that we can see better writing.

I'd like to see a silent protagonist and dialogue choices, but nothing lame like Fates.

Less characters available to play, with the potential amount of customization possible in the game it would be a waste to have much characters. The purpose of adding characters is to replace unit that died earlier or add interesting characters in the group, but the latest games SPECIALLY Fates does neither. More neutral unit along with it.

A good balance between customisation and uniqueness, it seems to already be the case tho. I also would like personal skill to return

Characters beyond their gimmick, PLEASE.

Can talk with characters outside of supports, it would really flesh out their character even in insignificant way, it make me care for my unit and i'll rather think "I don't want them to die." than just "I want my game to be perfect."

More condition of recruitment, specially active one were you had to get out of you way to recruit a unit. It really add more challenge rather than just finishing the stage, it also help to care about said unit.

More objectives variety, the objective of a war is not to kill everyone specially when you're supposed to be the good guy, even more when you are the underdog.

Make the choice of the house very important or non important. If it's supposed to be important rather than a change of POV, it should be a whole different party. If it's not supposed to, make it just choose your units for the beginning of the game.

Besides the obvious things like good varied maps, have the game be balanced around no grinding (it's fine if grinding exists, but it shouldn't be mandatory to beat the game), etc, there's one major thing I hope for, since it would immediately "fix" the majority of things I have issues with.

Have the school, classes and tests aspect be only an arc of the game, not the entire game.

That by itself would ensure the following things:

- Allow you to have other characters besides just students, like the other teachers for example, church representatives, etc. Characters from different walk of life gives a better understanding of the world, instead of just a bunch of nobles in school with (relatively) similar circumstances.

- Give everyone a unique, non-school uniform outfit. Being outside the school would mean that characters could get actually distinct outfits and have their own look besides their variations of the same flat black uniform. As a side bonus, it would mean that in Heroes and other FE material, we'd get more than a swarm of plain black uniforms for everyone all the time.

- Allow for a greater variety of scenarios. You can't logically have a gigantic war between various factions while still doing mundane tests. If the three kingdoms get in a major war with the church involvement (the school's patron), the routine schoolwork doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm sure the school itself will stay important, but the "classroom" setting is what I'm hoping will change at some point. You can still certainly train people during a military campaign: that would allow them to keep the majority of the new development mechanisms functional, while still allowing you to train the other teachers for example (which would be difficult if it stays a strict school-and-classes setting). You can still have requirements on getting new classes. Don't fly well enough? You don't get to be a wyvern lord yet: you don't need an exam in a classroom for that to happen during the entire game.

The way I see it, the story has to move away from just school-centric stuff at some point if we want to get to the major wars we saw in the first trailer. The question is: will this happen in this game, or is the "post-school stuff" reserved for "Three Houses 2 - coming in 2022" and the big wars were just "flashbacks from the past". My hope is for the former, really! 

Edited by Ayra

14 hours ago, Chopper... said:

To be able to get Claude marry Dimitri.

I didn't know how much I needed this until I read this. 

Also as for my hopes....hmmm, I guess I hope the game will take place on other places that aren't just apart of the academy, which is very likely to happened anyway, so I'm not too worried here. 

Edited by Rose482

If there is no LGBT we riot!!!11!

I've got no problem with that but everyone being bi, that's just stupid.

I hope this game doesn't suck, that the story is good and that the 3D models aren't ugly and their animations ugly like Fateswakening which have no flow or thing and the horses especially LOLWUT.

* A Romance of the Three Kingdoms war plot after the starting class arch.

* The church or a faction therof to be antagonists.

* Sothis to be the surprise final antagonist.

* Romance.

* No children.

* Recruitable characters who have nothing to do with the academy.

* A playable manakete who isn't a child.

* Supports refined to work like Tellius, where you just have to deploy units together for a certain number of missions rather than support grind.

* Reclassing to be a one-time choice. Skills to be exclusive to current class.

* Bonus experience to return.

* Level ups to reroll once if no stat points are gained, making no-stat level ups statistically much less likely.

* Ability to choose between traditional RNG level ups and Heroes style set level ups. If there is a PvP mode, all characters would be standardized to their set level ups during PvP.

Edited by Etheus

Guest Boatcat
4 hours ago, Ayra said:

the school itself will stay important, but the "classroom" setting is what I'm hoping will change at some point. You can still certainly train people during a military campaign: that would allow them to keep the majority of the new development mechanisms functional, while still allowing you to train the other teachers for example (which would be difficult if it stays a strict school-and-classes setting). You can still have requirements on getting new classes. Don't fly well enough? You don't get to be a wyvern lord yet: you don't need an exam in a classroom for that to happen during the entire gam

Preach.

Valkyria 4 had the training field, FE could also have similar justification.

I pray that Sothis isn’t romancable, we      R E A L L Y can’t deal with yet another one.

On the subject of other S supports, keep it as the start of a relationship that gets explained during the end credits as opposed to “we’ve had 4 conversations! Let’s get married and throw our kid into the babyrealm so they can grow up and be soldiers! Yaaay!”

please. No children.

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

If there is no LGBT we riot!!!11!

I've got no problem with that but everyone being bi, that's just stupid.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, it would be just as stupid if everyone was straight  : ) 

13 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Well, it would be just as stupid if everyone was straight  : ) 

Agreed. But my point wasn't that it should be a Neo-nazi straight-only school so *shrug*

Oh also, can we have FE4 Canto? Pretty please? I would say FE9 and 10 too but those don't let you visit villages after attacking so FE4 it is.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Agreed. But my point wasn't that it should be a Neo-nazi straight-only school so *shrug*

Well, I for one didn't see anyone say that everyone should be bi on this thread, so I'm not sure why you thought you had to make that point, but okay : )

I kind of really want the game to be the anti-power of friendship/love storyline. Claude x Dimitri would be great and my preference over any kind of Love Triangle or other romance setups among the three Lords. I would love to see the three of them being very close friends while at school and that relationship between Claude/Dimitri to be explicit and not just implied, but then they are forced apart and against one another as Edelgard stands against the Church and current order while Dimitri stand with the Church and current order and Claude is in the middle eventually forced to choose a side. And in the end Claude chooses what's best for his people as the head of his nation rather than what he wants the most and Dimitri goes down at the hands of the other two.

I need some real heavy drama and tragedy in my FE life. That's the only reason I'm at all interested in the school setting as it could be a really fantastic way of establishing relationships and bonds between all the various students with us as a participant and active facilitator in it all before the real plot pits them all against each other. Instead of just telling us X, Y and Z were friends in school and now they face each other on the battlefield, we actually get to see and be involved in the development of that friendship and love. And then get to see it all fall apart as their duties and obligations as royalty forces them against one another. But I get plenty of people just want to see a gay couple have a happy ending for once.

10 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Well, I for one didn't see anyone say that everyone should be bi on this thread, so I'm not sure why you thought you had to make that point, but okay : )

Bolded explains why I said what I did. Because it was mentioned in another thread and quite a few people were very ecstatic about the idea, and I disagree with it so this is one of my hopes for the game, that not everyone is Bi like those users were so eager for.

Three Houses should have a balanced population in terms of sexuality, 4.5 of americans are gay so if there ends up being like a roster of 2 million like there was in Fates then there's your fair share of gay people.

Also why is everyone so excited over Dimitrii X Claude, did I miss any hint towards them being gay? It wouldn't be bad if they did have an S-rank support just as long as it doesn't feel rushed or is shameless pandering to the Alt-left.

Edited by This boi uses Nino