Parrhesia

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Orc1: Surrender or die, tree shaggers!

Velon: Okay, we surrender.

Orc2: Did I mention that we do not take prisoners? Die!

Such a bunch of douches.

#Malindidnothingwrong

22 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I don't quite get how the game labels difficulty levels. This campaign is labeled as "hard level" and the selectable difficulties are "easy", "normal" and "hard", same as Heir to the Throne which is labeled as "Novice level". Meanwhile DiD was labeled as "Intermediate" and the selectable difficulties are "normal", "challenging" and "difficult". It's like in some campaigns the difficulty levels were named relatively to the other campaigns while in others difficulty levels were named only relatively to themselves.

there is no logic. this is where logic goes to die. this is a disparate set of campaigns made by many people of vastly different abilities and dedications.

Spoiler

hDcNLzNW_o.png

RXpUFEUG_o.png

eQ9kuUsl_o.png

PXUoFOjP_o.png

It's time for Crossroads.

OAmWF6nl_o.png

1WgoPztS_o.png

V5LIiyqb_o.png

aI2ksmpF_o.png

We just get yeeted into the map. It's such a filler chapter.

vmU56SKl_o.png

So the thing with Crossroads is that you have to defeat the green lord to win, and all of the hills have random ambush-spawn orcs in them that only trigger when you try to walk by them, so you're meant to stick to the road and push through to green while holding a line against blue, I guess?

FAKE EDIT: Blue is green, green is blue, I'm just blind. I'm not retaking the screenshots. You have to kill the blue lord, denoted as green.

MNYsHFyc_o.png

Naturally, this is the plan. Fuck sense and reason. Everyone dies.

YvnpSu2F_o.png

I already told them, nerd.

The first two houses you visit by the main base release a loyal fighter and archer.

tevRK9c5_o.png

Thanks.

skqcMoG1_o.png

I just realized I never linked Kalenz's bestiary, did I? Parrhesia didn't either. He's super generic, he's got like a 7x4 sword and a 6x3 arcane magic attack. He's boring strong.

RGmeR5Cr_o.png

My posturing gets blue to start going through the hills, just as planned. Time to open a four-front war.

5DkPH9yD_o.png

I already get dogged by a reinforcement. Whatever.

4LSZV9B9_o.png

Crossroads is actually kind of a fun map, despite being Extremely Filler. You just get a goddamn load of guys, and two enemies who only recruit tier 1 units, and you go whole ham.

u0tAZrc0_o.png

You tear through them like butter.

V6PyjHoY_o.png

You just spend turn after turn destroying so many men.

cuPPI9n4_o.png

A guide I read once honestly recommends just farming experience here. I won't. I'm not a punk.

Bau7MsYV_o.png

MKaIjysa_o.png

Honestly, this map is a celebration of the wonderful simplicity of Wesnoth's system. The RNG is a bit of a bitch, sure, but

e5qWDkhJ_o.png

oops rest in peace

fYoFUuS7_o.png

the map gives you enough Meat that you can protect your strong men, and have enough guys to throw at any given problem to handle it, without having enough guys to throw at every problem to handle it. It's a very fine balance, and one that both this campaign and Wesmere will miss repeatedly, but Crossroads strikes it.

YmNv9gaz_o.png

This map makes you feel powerful.

BnVHeNnq_o.png

It's honestly a bit unfair. There's a good reason that Heir to the Throne lets the enemy recruit tier 2 and even 3 enemies directly later on.

OYaOkwer_o.png

They honestly just cannot keep up with this level of quality.

hCwuGr8p_o.png

If we're being honest, it's over. There are five enemy units on the map. One is tier 3, one is tier 2, three are tier 1. The game is finished.

ztWH9nv7_o.png

Crossroads is filler, Crossroads revels in being filler, and Laura promoted again.

zvjRJeQk_o.png

We're touching peak elfwank. We're getting there. Enchantresses are just bigger sorceresses, but with an exceptionally rare tier 4 promotion. Fun fact, the elf faction in multiplayer gets both of the vanilla accessible tier 4 units!

rzXEAWMh_o.png

Fun fact, running into a hidden unit, whether it's a legitimate hidden unit like a ranger in the trees or a script spawn like this orc in the hills, eats all of your movement and now this poacher is stuck and can only attack. He survives. I don't think even full hits would have done him in.

wsY9CI3d_o.png

Ha.

hTSdYYHj_o.png

It doesn't matter. Haldiel just oneshots one of the threats.

5RArcX4A_o.png

The south is a complete rout.

9onCF7dU_o.png

An archer promotes me a sharpshooter.

pk9WGxWB_o.png

Laura fucking destroys the side boss.

X8tllB7C_o.png

She actually doesn't, and I finagle the kill onto Kalenz.

dNxEwyCr_o.png

With that, green is gone.

cloUfFUT_o.png

Meanwhile, the blue front has triggered what's probably most of the ambush spawns, and blue himself is shitting out zero to one units a turn.

F9lenSlw_o.png

Welp.

z37cGw8U_o.png

I still play a little defensively, because there's no reason to concede a casualty to this stage of a map.

NYwfjFnf_o.png

With the morning, the fuck squad descends. It's down to the boss.

10xT96eZ_o.png

Yeet.

6sIZabpS_o.png

qDIHzmLP_o.png

fuck yeah

fvI7HFHr_o.png

fuck yeah i fucked up the timing and caught neither the damage nor the post-damage xp boost

LhUAkhzo_o.png

ng9nMHTx_o.png

Yes, that's it.

HTTT!Kalenz is the same special Lord class as Erlornas was, the protagonist of Incursion. Legend!Kalenz has him start as a fighter. He can take whatever promotion path, but I'm pretty sure he plot-promotes to Lord later anyway no matter what.

I love the title of this map. With a single word title like "Crossroads" you'd think the chapter is about an important, character driven decision. But nope, it's just a literal crossroad. Not even crossroads as the title states, just one of them. It's like if the first mission of the campaign "The Elves Besieged" was named "Forest".

Edited by BrightBow

4 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

This game kind of reminds me of an map in FE Awakening, except that those mercenaries at Law's End was an one-time thing.

i played awakening more than any other fire emblem and i have no idea what the fuck this means

3 hours ago, Integrity said:

i played awakening more than any other fire emblem and i have no idea what the fuck this means

I meant that you can kind of recruit an faction of mercenaries in Yarne's map, like you can in this game...Or you could ignore their offer and fight them.

5 hours ago, Integrity said:

4LSZV9B9_o.png

Crossroads is actually kind of a fun map, despite being Extremely Filler. You just get a goddamn load of guys, and two enemies who only recruit tier 1 units, and you go whole ham.

I'm going to be honest, I did not send this many men at the problem.

I also wouldn't bother with the green boss and there's only like 2 ambushers on the northern hills so sending some units that way's a good call imo.

5 hours ago, Integrity said:

ng9nMHTx_o.png

Yes, that's it.

I don't think I was any slower.

I certainly didn't have minus money in the end.

I think that says something about playstyle.

LEGEND OF WESMERE 2: THE PARABLE OF THE ENTHUSIASTIC BORDER GUARD

Spoiler

b4ab52e423601852a97a402fd6b22f9a.png
ca1c17f9df4f96e0cd092e91395243a1.jpg
Shit. I remember this map, vividly; I remember not liking this map, vividly!

83dc83fe2404591ff0499f38c0e49464.jpg
08695c49fb47c140d93d21cc92ee7051.jpg
51cea5f3385c85a4d7f909bb2d408a66.jpg
4917b6e8be0ce825c83f0eedbd589b4b.jpg
The concept of this map is actually really good, to be fair. Is there a chance I was just mad because bad?

071e085437a67b0dedfb1e231d5d0a0c.png
34a794a1917addfeb659b9001a15520e.jpg
74792e7687f38e05f06f260914a01e85.jpg
74d2b07c4109649688233ce27e8f23a6.jpg
4046172d707665bfcf1362db5c030c54.png
Okay, so here's the deal. We either hit that signpost in the south, or we kill the troll. You know I've been really good about killing out-of-the-way bosses, in fact I think I've killed every alt-win-condition boss so far. Given the corridor of death here, though, I think you'll forgive me for bowing out of this one. Meanwhile, Olurf keeps a... strict border, and the game tells us this explicitly;

a99a92eeee15f6ee53d6328f05e65e0f.jpg
1b15f0e6a212d131931a066261a3ea56.jpg
a17a85f0801b5b79cd02762f155a34f5.png
Don't do this. Even if we were able to kill the dwarves on terrain suitable to them, Olurf's death is a fail condition. Now, trolls don't understand borders, and frankly dwarfs would rather kill trolls than elves, so as long as we don't fuck up and step on the east, we can unite forces against the trolls. But you'll note this leaves us with a really narrow fighting corridor. The terrain is fairly hostile; lots of trees we like, but a lot more hills and mountains trolls do.

It's a really great idea for a map. Is it a really great map? We'll see.

0836e81981520084052cdc8d8e85b4c5.jpg
Olurf brings a couple new kinds of midget to the table. You ever get that really strong sense that you introduce one first and one very definitely second? Like one's sort of normal and- anyway, I'm-

6ee8def40073f6f3c27d806ec88103b4.png
Scouts are first. They're campaign-only - remember what I said about the Knalgan Alliance not needing thugs because they have dwarven fighters? Similarly, the Alliance have a bunch of thugs to be their light infantry, which is to say... infantry, in this case. That said, the Alliance came first; the scout line is a relatively late addition to the game, which is to say they came at some point after the first version I played. They deal competitive damage both in melee and at range, have a 10% resistance to... literally everything, and have a spicy five (!) movement, with a great movement type. They also level quickly. I like scouts.

1213e1b0ec9e2a431131fb070e770379.png
Ulfserkers are... well... special. Yeah, you're reading that right. When they start fighting, they keep going until someone dies. For all that, 4x4 is... not the most inspiring set of numbers, but, Christ, they would be absurd if it was more, even if it doesn't make the most IC sense. A strong, quick ulfserker is one of the most blessed rolls you can get.

Incidentally, the eagle-eyed and elephant-memoried of you may remember the dark adept, which HAS no melee attack. Ulfserkers have a special laugh animation and, yes, sound effect, that plays before they hack endlessly at the defenceless adept, guaranteed to kill unscathed.

It's pretty much this.

b12f50cca0d923d75c4372c671d99116.jpg
304f93423e46cab7c0c48d66bf857eb1.png
You can fit a lot of elf into 280 gold, and with all the villages around, we're already making a profit of 5 per turn. We recall a handful of veterans with good traits. Archers cost enough on their own that one with good traits and/or a bit of experience is often worth recalling, rather than getting one fresh. Fighters, less so. I'm aiming to promote both homies, respectively into hero and marksman; I like to promote elven infantry by their traits. Strong is great on a ranger and useless on a marksman, for instance, so Pani's going ranger while Landar went marksman.

97675c4bda046afe431a099cc558c3d2.jpg
Look, Snorri! Trolls!

434e35370c498ff21bf33ff097f4d861.jpg
cc7568c7e4497a7e3885baa84cefc690.png
No surprises here.

dec07f1035380d729511de7b69900d7e.jpg
Aha. Here's the issue with the map; this is our kill zone.

aae98139aa2a5a9d6e23d6b7afcdea11.png
Dishonest Monrow is brutally clubbed to death on the follow-up. On the bright side, it's morning after this! But trolls are often fearless, so.

c5f9bad74523c3fde185a996fc79d01e.jpg
So here we are, attritional warfare against trolls, who ... regenerate.

c00da9d7e6b1d4d9b7a72abe04238adc.gif
I am lovely and gif you an ulfserkfight. We lose another fighter in the north.

76afdb7ab9ce1f11e683b6f2a3e0b16c.png
d30743e961fe2491cb2f65e07edc4be6.jpg
Three dwarves in the south go down - nice detail, by the way, the fighter's hammers are two-handed so their shields are slung over their backs - and we lose another regen fighter.

270a7f0f315ce0945d95681e81616eb7.png
I really, really want to kill trolls before they regenerate and stay fresh at night. I have to risk the water. Rounding Error pays for it with his life, as was probably inevitable were he sent in to finish that troll at 65%, but the reward would've been amazing - his promotion, and a dead body, and a free space.

8cabe5331455e43bef87343f3b7ded0c.png
This is not how you ulfserk. Ulfserks need to be flat-track bullies, force archers and wizards into endless melee. A thunderer finishes him off, then another thunderer is clubbed to death. Olurf's dwarfsquad is down to three. We can't really help down there, either; you'll note, it's in the east.

544fa8b0e004ec26c7507d5bc85ceba9.png
We mop up, though. Sorry about the bit of menu; it's the easiest way to pause for these screens, but it interferes if we're on the west edge.

5ea9a7541f8d758210f00cd024a6b0f9.png
On enemy phase, another thunderer goes down and the troll whelp hilariously almost kills Landar.

1349a16622564b151e72f7a198ceed06.png
And the advance slows to a crawl again. We can't really contest those remaining trolls until they come to us. The whelp winds up killing that wounded archer; I think I wound up having to shoot at a rocklobber through the water with her.

a010fc060af0fcd603abd9e164776603.jpg
This map is a bloodbath. That troll takes out an ulfserker and a scout, from that level of health; then the two on the west kill Pig Trough. We've lost a shitton of guys, but the only tier 1 who wasn't just meat was Rounding Error. This is why a crumple zone is important! Outside the early campaigns, you're going to take losses.

9681728f13602cf525e95ff90444ac60.png
404ed43508201efad19bbe2eef40b6df.png
At this point, lives are inconsequential, as long as it's of these fresh recruits.

34b3e9f1b6ee67137a979be24ac7d334.png
For instance: Fitzy's.

c0dbc37349c1198d7988ad5fa7650b38.png
We're done here. Mopping up this delicious experience while Kalenz books it for the exit.

8ca95cd638b3841f26e3a650260f16a3.png
The dwarves gun for the leader, but at this point? Not worth the risk or the time, one turn from the exit.

faffc7b4d69963abaed3ab7cf3e01212.jpg
549ad62b576cf8ad8ec792dc4fe62213.jpg
Child me was wrong and a bitch. That was a pretty good mission, though could've stood to be a couple hexes... wider, in some stretches.

f937748e141fadc0382643dfd71d47ca.png
Jesus. Some campaigns go by 'minimum starting gold + bonuses'; others go by '80% of your gold or minimum', like this. Apparently we're gonna be fucking rich.

2fab3590e3316cd7b132e284a2ebc1ef.png
Our K/D was actually quite bad, but... they were trolls. We lost four fighters and three archers, only one of whom meant anything to me, and promoted four guys, including our homies. We're also, see above, very rich.

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

6ee8def40073f6f3c27d806ec88103b4.png
Scouts are first. They're campaign-only - remember what I said about the Knalgan Alliance not needing thugs because they have dwarven fighters? Similarly, the Alliance have a bunch of thugs to be their light infantry, which is to say... infantry, in this case. That said, the Alliance came first; the scout line is a relatively late addition to the game, which is to say they came at some point after the first version I played. They deal competitive damage both in melee and at range, have a 10% resistance to... literally everything, and have a spicy five (!) movement, with a great movement type. They also level quickly. I like scouts.

Scouts have resistance to everything?

even if it's 10, that's not as bad as I expected.

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

1213e1b0ec9e2a431131fb070e770379.png
Ulfserkers are... well... special. Yeah, you're reading that right. When they start fighting, they keep going until someone dies. For all that, 4x4 is... not the most inspiring set of numbers, but, Christ, they would be absurd if it was more, even if it doesn't make the most IC sense. A strong, quick ulfserker is one of the most blessed rolls you can get.

Incidentally, the eagle-eyed and elephant-memoried of you may remember the dark adept, which HAS no melee attack. Ulfserkers have a special laugh animation and, yes, sound effect, that plays before they hack endlessly at the defenceless adept, guaranteed to kill unscathed.

Apparently it's limited to 30 rounds.

That's still 4X4X30 chances to hit. 120 hits would be dangerous to many things, if they can't kill the ulfzerker. Shame they're also campaign only.

wham bam shambina it's more filler

Spoiler

SVHKX8Ck_o.png

2o3Vutey_o.png

Funny note: since your most powerful man is the talkative one in many of these maps, we've switched off of Scott. Since our new rep is a tier 3 non-loyal unit, we'll start off automatically hemorrhaging money!

qngj6qOC_o.png

This isn't Li'sar's only appearance.

xFNCYF1S_o.png

fxI46fho_o.png

RnqwKphj_o.png

4oe4x8kn_o.png

They're shouting an incredibly long way.

keHC0DCz_o.png

Up axes, and "defeat" Li'sar. With fireballs, and lances.

w8AAUB91_o.png

The plan is super straightforward. We'll feint toward the northern bridge, force a confrontation at the river, and blow through Li'sar's guys like candy.

VsBBJf9e_o.png

Her recruitment isn't inspiring. I swear she used to recruit loads of ogres here, which are just a massive chunky tier 2 melee unit (trolls that trade regeneration for more stats, basically), but I could be wrong?

K8tsdDTP_o.png

Anyway, back to Tom, Parrhesia pointed out neither of us had put out the bestiary for Sharpshooters, and it's a doozy for the elfwank pile. Their description honestly works for their stats - 10x5 marksman is disgusting damage. Tom is now roughly as good at simply removing somebody as goddamn Delfador, although she hits a much more common resist.

xbrc7OBA_o.png

Anyway, back to the map. They're advancing way less quickly than I anticipated, so the plan is shifting. The basic plan remains, we'll block at the bridge and sweep hard north. However, the river diversion might not work, in which case I'll reinforce the north and prepare a better invasion.

F4WhknA6_o.png

Ooookay, nevermind. Apparently Li'sar is slamming into the river of her own accord.

xqDOARCn_o.png

Konrad, early promoted, makes for a really versatile wall. However, all those little sword guys are skirmishers, so I set up this weirdly shaped wall to try to avoid anyone getting super ganged up on.

yr4n5SAp_o.png

Poor, dumb mage.

4rKRE63V_o.png

I don't remember if Parrhesia ever got one of these guys, but Adams is one now.

dmhbAgfQ_o.png

Duelists might be super annoying to fight, but Tom lets us just say no.

RDu7RupQ_o.png

Ah, honey.

rpBX8V8N_o.png

Somewhere during all this one of my poachers promotes. I love poachers.

UqU4nsy2_o.png

And, in one heady, violent confrontation, Li'sar is out of guys. This is becoming a pattern.

rMFwKTDW_o.png

She does squeeze out one new half-wave but, honestly, it's done.

oziHJCvg_o.png

F5TD7qW9_o.png

yeet

H9lLOy2S_o.png

PlpWTnOX_o.png

By the way, don't attack spearmen with horsemen, even promoted ones.

jgH7mvpD_o.png

Haldiel kills the other guy instead, promoting to a paladin. I think you've seen these guys chasing Mal Whatever.

a8usjMIr_o.png

Still. Step on me, daddy.

PTmHyC4B_o.png

Lisar is, herself, not much of a threat. 11x4 is quite a powerful melee attack, but we have so much ranged grit ready to throw onto her with absolutely no response.

jakPThRG_o.png

She opts not to answer my Konrad taunt, and gives me an extra turn to set up for the kill.

TZdbL2Rq_o.png

Li'sar is lit on fucking fire, and surrenders. All that's left is the dialogue.

DiySALAq_o.png

qnN3WzwM_o.png

59xHjLOg_o.png

TU8RF75U_o.png

uZVLwO29_o.png

nBgzPezy_o.png

lZ12Xr1J_o.png

ath5PkZN_o.png

cPOBTNeW_o.png

oh no!

523NvzUk_o.png

Yeah, sure. Let's take directions from a mortal enemy. Surely that can't go wrong.

But Li'sar man. That's definitely a very different look from her old "blond Lyn" design that she used to have. And unlike Konrad she also got new map sprites to go along with it. Neat.

Edit:

Wait, you got 40 hit against her on a fort? I recall her being basically a Fencer in terms of evasion. Guess her abilities are different now too.

Edited by BrightBow

50 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

But Li'sar man. That's definitely a very different look from her old "blond Lyn" design that she used to have. And unlike Konrad she also got new map sprites to go along with it. Neat.

ooh yeah, let's toss that out there for the unwashed masses

Gbx8XEQa_o.png

51 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Wait, you got 40 hit against her on a fort? I recall her being basically a Fencer in terms of evasion. Guess her abilities are different now too.

same, plus the ogres like i mentioned - i'm pretty sure they reworked this map, because i remember it being a holy slog before

9 hours ago, Integrity said:

ulfs aren't campaign only, they're in the MP knalgan army

i should know, i always use them against our collective better judgement

Sorry.

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

keHC0DCz_o.png

Up axes, and "defeat" Li'sar. With fireballs, and lances.

Force surrender with fire!

K8tsdDTP_o.png

Anyway, back to Tom, Parrhesia pointed out neither of us had put out the bestiary for Sharpshooters, and it's a doozy for the elfwank pile. Their description honestly works for their stats - 10x5 marksman is disgusting damage. Tom is now roughly as good at simply removing somebody as goddamn Delfador, although she hits a much more common resist.

At range these guys are terrifying. It's good thing plenty resist pierce, this could have been too op otherwise.

4rKRE63V_o.png

I don't remember if Parrhesia ever got one of these guys, but Adams is one now.

Nice, some impact on this one.

rpBX8V8N_o.png

Somewhere during all this one of my poachers promotes. I love poachers.

I sometimes wonder just how dangerous this line actually is.

Then a couple of poachers kill a unit near promotion.

jgH7mvpD_o.png

Haldiel kills the other guy instead, promoting to a paladin. I think you've seen these guys chasing Mal Whatever.

I mean, I do like Great Knight's sheer lance damage, but these have some nice benefits of their own.

cPOBTNeW_o.png

oh no!

Oh fucking no indeed.

I didn't have a Paladin or Fugitive though, so you're better off already.

Come to think of it, the phrasing of the victory condition is really unnecessary: "Force Li'sar's surrender (reduce her hitpoints to 0 or lower)"
Sure, Li'sar is different because unlike previous bosses she doesn't actually die. But those map objectives in this campaign so far only ever talked about "defeat" anyway. So there is no reason they couldn't just have stuck to the established phrasing and write "Defeat Li'sar" instead of phrasing it in such a way that results in them still having to explain the objective in brackets in order to avoid confusion.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Come to think of it, the phrasing of the victory condition is really unnecessary: "Force Li'sar's surrender (reduce her hitpoints to 0 or lower)"
Sure, Li'sar is different because unlike previous bosses she doesn't actually die. But those map objectives in this campaign so far only ever talked about "defeat" anyway. So there is no reason they couldn't just have stuck to the established phrasing and write "Defeat Li'sar" instead of phrasing it in such a way that results in them still having to explain the objective in brackets in order to avoid confusion.

From what I can tell, each campaign is written by someone different and they were trying to stick to the story with the objectives.

14 hours ago, Armchair General said:

From what I can tell, each campaign is written by someone different and they were trying to stick to the story with the objectives.

hell, i'm not sure various campaigns haven't been touched up by different people over time at this point

anyway here's a bitch of a chapter

Spoiler

krHYWV07_o.png

If it wasn't obvious enough from her telling us that this is a trap, look at the frickin' chapter name.

SNCrALZe_o.png

YHVfOjo2_o.png

C46sQLJa_o.png

RIqA4N3g_o.png

If Moremirmu wasn't recruited, he'll show up in the middle of the map with some white mages as reinforcement, but they won't be recallable.

51KjigUT_o.png

So here's the bitch of this chapter. Note the turn limit.

DWyD86d2_o.png

p8MKzh70_o.png

Note the size of this motherfucker. The alternate objective, such as it is, is to rush and kill three liches in three corners of a massive map, in twelve turns or fewer. This map extremely wants you to defend.

Are we gonna? Nah. I'm taking out at least one lich.

NGnONsbg_o.png

There are little vials of holy water scattered on the map. Touching one turns the unit's melee attacks into arcane damage type for the rest of the map. Guess how well I use them?

dXqT81SS_o.png

One fun thing about this - don't get me wrong, I actually really like this map, it's just hard - is that each lich recruits differently. Hillman in the south makes mostly skeletons, and one bad meme.

9mvFlj53_o.png

Northman in the north makes a more balanced composition; some zombies, some ghosts, bone archers, revenants, even a dark adept.

U6nX7q8y_o.png

And the closest one makes entirely zombies and ghosts. It's really well balanced - if you stay in one defensive group, the forces of the east hit you distinctly first, followed by the forces of the south, followed by the forces of the north.

jjbMYBcQ_o.png

Alternately, you can open multiple fronts, and try to deal with them discretely. I'm going to go hard in on the east, and try to get that lich knocked off quickly. A group of outlaws and new meat mages take the southern front, ready to hold back the skeletal waves if not push into the lich. Some fresh recruited fighters are going to try to delay the northern front for a few turns.

01TB81y9_o.png

tKZjBe6s_o.png

CTIwjuvi_o.png

Yeah, good thing we brought any of that with us, Kalenz. Note that this mechanic does not come up again, nor is it associated with the elves in particular - in fact, only humans can get arcane blades ordinarily.

ydvTvGiz_o.png

Anyway, I called it a bad meme earlier.

DxZErJj1_o.png

It's just an undead horseman. With an unfortunate name. They're campaign-only.

pUVNltqF_o.png

Going out to meet green means dealing with the ghosts first at twilight. It's possible, with extreme luck, to mop them up and leave only zombies for nightfall. We won't, but we still bag a bunch of kills.

FHNXbF9n_o.png

As night falls, both of my chaff mages are already slaughtered. Oops.

ReTgAgsP_o.png

East sees Kalenz fail to dodge anything and get nearly vaporized by the two ghosts.

rMv2hOhF_o.png

He runs away and we mop up a lot of green units.

al2HsiuY_o.png

The southern front is in a much trickier position. It's full dark, which is great for the bulk of our units, but it's also great for theirs and we're outnumbered.

dQu3WVG6_o.png

We do the best we can. There's a fair bit of stupid bad dodging luck, and this generic knight is probably dead, but the line will hold.

mpQt2IMP_o.png

He doesn't die! The enemy decides to kill off the irreplaceable thug instead. Fuck.

KvJSIxzk_o.png

w

S2uL9cEg_o.png

Anyway, on the east, the lich-paladin matchup becomes pretty plain. Paladins have good arcane resistance, and an arcane weapon, which liches are bad against. Note that this is at the absolute worst time swing for Haldiel, at -25% for him and +25% for the lich. There's no reason to push for the kill, I just wanted to show it off.

MugactPR_o.png

We're one day down, halfway through the time limit, and things have gone generally to plan. Despite bad beginnings, the south has actually progressed better than expected. I might be able to bag two liches!

hHycKkZq_o.png

South clear.

V56yiQqL_o.png

The east gets a significant break of luck and this is when it hits me.

I can get the triple.

If Haldiel fucking books it north, he can tackle the final lich in the dark. I can get the early clear bonus.

FC9g00DP_o.png

The first lich exits his house, and is vaporized by Moremirmu and the other white mage.

Wb2ZAHID_o.png

We've bled so much money. There are only three turns to go.

eSQKoi4O_o.png

This is still possible.

oAICLUzr_o.png

The clock strikes lucky as the southern lich comes out to play. It's only a decrease from 60% to 50% defense, but it's something.

odAxtl28_o.png

We're poised to strike at the northern lich, but it's gonna take doing.

2kuHzURq_o.png

I tried to get an action shot and failed - Meatshield snagged the kill. Legend.

rvcWYKN0_o.png

The clock strikes lucky again - the northern lich comes out to play on the next to final turn.

kpvvdf0T_o.png

The risk is taken, clearly.

BlfDzAzu_o.png

u8Gm3l7B_o.png

S1pxKIcZ_o.png

no shit

VIzasr4H_o.png

MVmjkME1_o.png

So I kind of dogged us playing the way I did, going forward into the next mission (contrast my cash with Parrhesia's for a few maps!), but fuck it, I got the triple.

oKiAFHV5_o.png

Two irreplaceable thugs, one frustratingly close to promotion, and three units who were born to die. I'm a genius.

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

RIqA4N3g_o.png

If Moremirmu wasn't recruited, he'll show up in the middle of the map with some white mages as reinforcement, but they won't be recallable.

Oh, but if you do the other map after Bay of Pearls none of them show up.

In a route where you have less impact damage and no chance of getting any guaranteed white mage.

Don't fucking pick the easy map is what I'm saying, this map's horrifying if you do.

NGnONsbg_o.png

There are little vials of holy water scattered on the map. Touching one turns the unit's melee attacks into arcane damage type for the rest of the map. Guess how well I use them?

I mean, I soloed a lich with one of these bad boys and a knight.

DxZErJj1_o.png

It's just an undead horseman. With an unfortunate name. They're campaign-only.

I kind of wish they weren't, Undead has bats but they're hardly long term damage sources.

KvJSIxzk_o.png

w

The Meatshield rises to the occasion and promotes.

RIP thugs.

2kuHzURq_o.png

I tried to get an action shot and failed - Meatshield snagged the kill. Legend.

I'm telling you, he's the hero of this campaign, not Konrad.

MVmjkME1_o.png

So I kind of dogged us playing the way I did, going forward into the next mission (contrast my cash with Parrhesia's for a few maps!), but fuck it, I got the triple.

Three less mals in the world, I'm okay with this.

Next map's nowhere near as terrifying. It does require a bit of rushing though.

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, I soloed a lich with one of these bad boys and a knight.

i picked one up on an elvish scout and proceeded to use his bow for the rest of the map :)

LEGEND OF WESMERE 3A: yeah it's a fucking two parter

Spoiler

2b166bc2b256ef9da8857e278690b6cc.png
ccdad2b5936ea53b8e1af1c0d99f20aa.jpg
wow I wonder

48be4c40edc94b88e9eff65292b13705.jpg
a5cb3bcf8de67858902a04c9bca692d8.jpg
7e69565bd1c10f1266d5175296886317.jpg
Meet Galtrid. Galtrid's got a job on his hands.

4fe95c3db1c030efc916c41043abe78a.jpg
He destroys a village, says this, and then a shitton of assassins crop up at the edge of the FoW.

22004df3b53359aeae922654263e6030.jpg
Then it's our turn to spawn in daves.

626d4b0a097157feec4fca3aec24ddf5.jpg
We start with 200 gold, no recall list, and control green. This... used to actually be the blue faction, but I guess in more recent days they decided to play around with team colours more. It's a shame they do this but still stick you with the standard red colour scheme. Galtrid's art is an artifact of that; you'll note he's wearing a blue tunic. The hero is a lord, too. His name, El'lsomithir, is really, really stupid. Oh, and we have a homie scout, Thrilith-ael. We can rename him, unlike most loyal units, but I won't on principle. The writers decided that this guy should be called specifically that, so that he remains.

baed8e9c27f9a67ce0953252c783ef51.jpg
I spend a bit over half the 200 on fighters, the rest on archers. This is survival; fighters are cheap and more durable. We have a couple scouts, but can't yet train them. We also have a hero. We control the entire map of 46 towns, but that's... about to slim down. This map is huge, one of the biggest team-fights in the game. Let's see how this formation looks after EP. Our priority, above all else, is to keep them off dry land.

3f79668fe994f6d4c740cb48b62c4cc5.jpg
Greener, mostly. Ligma sweeps through the city, and we have just two villages. I'm not improving any names until Kalenz arrives; most of these fuckers are going down.

af5a2070bcfcfcbf302aa374e2f6696d.png
Shoulda brought more fighters. Or maybe some babies. We jag a kill for our homie scout and clear the east coast... for now.

454fad6a3caae953c9c49e9b2465d8be.png
60d3cbd8f195873aa935629ebc7f617f.png
A couple of archers wind up in places that are... not amazing for their well-being. Two archers kill assassins on the counter, though. Both are intelligent and quick; they'll take up the villages next turn and recover, I want them alive if possible. It may not be possible.

5dd0ea9bfea00621d6d7da48f76b10f3.png
EP is relatively breezy. The assassins are dead, but they've poisoned over half our guys.

eb46fa741aed12e913495cb0cb807c95.jpg
This guy somehow survives. One of the intelliquick archers who took out assassins on the counter then swords a grunt to death, but is killed by his replacement. There's plenty of experience to go around, though...

dfc0bc2979ee5cc02e2bb56e6ac178f7.png
They pick off three guys on their last legs through poison this turn. At this point, the demand for the villages is weirdly low again, just because there's no point trying to overturn the guys already on a single HP.

ccb63a11f1afc7f4db28cbacab3a8a76.png
Galtrid has to get his hands dirty. We find two more fighters and archers.

0ae33cf8af3a28e3863cda01b7222f6c.png
70% evasion gets you through a lot of strife. Just one guy dies, tonight.

ef265cc640381b9a06a910676cfe8da7.png
Mighty... uh... Gash, is first to crest elven walls. The hero and a fighter immediately rip him off them, but it's the thought that counts.

cc96e5ea892f2948c9fd9f50f021d85e.png
We hold out for the last of it...

65174d9166d4d5af713c3948b8d9f1d3.jpg
6463d4069d84177096743a4a7fca095a.jpg
b40020f882610e56f990788d3ed41d08.jpg
b596010c644b656e564272feed00f8a8.jpg
6b89e521c869f5b3e0f07651626ca4af.jpg
f74f22c60d27b57fff0f5e3b8c10e1f1.jpg
The boys are back in town, and we're gonna have to finish this ourselves.

1953c0f10af8e6bc1bef858220f2b4fb.jpg
785bd085d0ca5b83ee9e5cfa221eb806.png
Whew. Okay. Let's leave the rest for next time, shall we? This is a fucking marathon of a chapter.

0fef497c0a493d7319f074d8a13a9454.png
4eb0326e79fd58184c2e402d27b71f82.png
6cd53a92a074bbe6bc36c60f0ec55031.png
The survivors, all named, as promised. Some... are probably unlikely to make it too much further.