Questions for stepping into cosplaying

MisterIceTeaPeach

Since this year's carnival I am really interested to start with serious cosplaying.
There is a manga / anime event coming in late spring I would to like to cosplay for a videogame character (shall be female). I have a few ideas who to cosplay already, but I am not sure what defines 100% cosplay.

Is that much of an issue, if the cosplayed character has not been 100% executed?

Non matching hair colour can be fixed by a wig, but what is with non interchangable physical characteristics like eye colour?

I know that it can become a really expensive thing by getting all the required stuff, but for an event once per year I would be fine digging deeper in my pocket. 

I would be grateful for each sort of advice! 

Edited by Necrofantasia

As a member of a lot of cosplay groups, let me assure you that 500 bucks is honestly about right if not a little low for what most invest into costumes.

Body proportions and physical characteristics do not have to match. Do not worry if you're too tall or too skinny or anything else for how the character is, because cosplay is meant to be fun and it is for everyone! ^.^ Accessories, clothes, and hair are usually all you need to identify the character, seriously.

When it comes to eye color most people either get colored contacts, photoshop eyes in pictures, or just simply don't worry about it. If you do decide to go the contacts route, PLEASE talk to your eye doctor as contacts are not for everyone and using them incorrectly can cause permanent damage to your eyes.

As for how much to invest, it's honestly up to the individual. If this is just going to be a non serious hobby, I'd recommend having a couple of really good costumes that you wear. If you're going to get more serious about it then there's a lot involved, including considering if you want to learn how to make your own costumes and props.

Oh, I have not though about contacts, but honestly I do not think I would like to wear them. My eye color (brown) is unfortunately not sharing all that many videogame characters. Blue or black would be better. 

Since I am tempting to crossdress I surely have not the right physical body proportions, but I know a few simple tricks to fix them. 

Learning to make customs sounds rough, really ROUGH. Unfortunately I am not experienced with fashion designing, but I am admiring the people who can create their own cosplay outfit. 

Money really does not play a role for me. People can spend 500 bucks for a holiday trip, I would spend it into an outfit. It can be reused sometime later. 

Keep in mind that sometimes bad cosplays can be more fun than the over-the-top ones! It can be quite funny doing purposely horrible looking cosplays (The Homestuck community is pretty big on those)

When it comes cosplaying other things I don't see mentioned often are role playing. Acting as the person you are doing the cosplay of could also be fun. Learning more about their character and how they'd respond to certain things takes time.

Another thing to consider is if people ask to take a pic you might want to brush up on your poses in the mirror. Try practicing iconic poses the character strikes when the situation calls for them. Once I cosplayed a Team Magma member from Pokemon and one thing I learned was the new pose of them forming the letter in M with their arms based off their rank. The grunts formed one half and the two admins formed the other half. I did Hayabusa Ryu once too from Ninja Gaiden so I posed frequently with my sword drawn in a position like I was ready to strike and I think at this point I'm mansplaining so I'll stop here. 

I had a friend carry around a Bluetooth speaker playing the iconic theme songs to his cosplays a few years ago. He got stopped for pictures every 5 minutes. It was kinda funny. 

Nice, thanks for the tips! 

Music is a really cool idea, have not thought about that yet. 

On carnival my crossdressing drew that attention, lol. I was asked for tons of photos and even landed in the newspaper which was funny but also a bit embarrassing.

But for an anime festival the target group would expect this, so I would be way less nervous. 

14 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I’ve actually asked about similar things a while back.

Oh, cool. 

I will use this thread then, if I need more advices.