Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light is coming to Famicom - Nintendo Switch Online

Nintendo released a trailer for both NES and Famicom Nintendo Switch Online for Mar. 13th. They included Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light as an upcoming NES game for the Famicom online app only and it will be included in the March library with Kid Icarus, Konami's Yie Ar Kung~Fu (Famicom Online only), and StarTropics (NES Online only). You can create a Japanese Nintendo account and download the Famicom Online in the Japanese version of the Nintendo Switch eShop, you can still use your current account if you purchased Nintendo Switch Online to play it Famicom Online.

As a side note: It did include StarTropics that will be coming as exclusive for NES Online app and this will be the first NES game that is not going to be included for the Famicom Online (I think the Japanese players that have an Western account or planned to get a Western account should try out StarTropics since Nintendo Switch is region locked free), I think StarTropics might be the Western library replacement for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light since Nintendo definitely doesn't want to have only one NES title for the upcoming launch NES games for NES - Nintendo Switch Online.

Edited by King Marth 64

omg I just assumed you would have to be able to pay for another account's online in order to play Famicom games. Nope. You just need to create a Japanese game and the Famicom app is a free download that can be played on any Switch Profile that has the online subscription. This rules. Now I'm totally fine with Japan and US getting different games now that I can access what Japan gets. Thank Iwata for region unlocking. I may very well play FE1 now that it's going to be on my Switch in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

omg I just assumed you would have to be able to pay for another account's online in order to play Famicom games. Nope. You just need to create a Japanese game and the Famicom app is a free download that can be played on any Switch Profile that has the online subscription. This rules. Now I'm totally fine with Japan and US getting different games now that I can access what Japan gets. Thank Iwata for region unlocking. I may very well play FE1 now that it's going to be on my Switch in a few weeks.

I did played a few Japanese exclusive titles on the Famicom Online app with my American account. I'll might play Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light, but I might need to look at the Weapon Chart in Serenes Forest since it's not been translated. I did beaten Shadow Dragon on the Nintendo DS, I'll might play the original game in Famicom Online app.

Edited by King Marth 64

3 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I did played a few Japanese exclusive titles on the Famicom Online app with my American account. I'll might play Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light, but I might need to look at the Weapon Chart in Serenes Forest since it's not been translated. I did beaten Shadow Dragon on the Nintendo DS, I'll might play the original game in Famicom Online app.

How did you play JP games without changing your account region?

On 3/6/2019 at 1:52 AM, Raven said:

How did you play JP games without changing your account region?

You make a new account on Nintendo's website, set the region to Japan, then link the account to a separate profile on your switch. With that profile, go onto the eshop. The eshop will be in Japanese, but all we have to do is search "Famiri" and the first result will be the Famicom Online app. Download it, it's free. And you can play the app with any profile that has the paid subscription. 

As for "how do I buy Japanese games", that's not something I know how to answer. I've heard from some people that just putting in your American credit card won't cut it. But as far as playing Famicom games, it's very easy since it's a free download.

Playing it now and it's, well, interesting. I'd never tried out games pre FE4. My Japanese is very rudimentary but I've sort of figured out the basics. Wish I could understand the dialogue, I'm only picking up words here and there but not enough to make sense of what they're saying.

Would be great to eventually get some of the other Japanese games on Switch, even if they don't get translated.