New Heroes Approach : Beyond Darkness (March 7 ~) SPOILERS: DATAMINE

Coolmanio

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A little pity to Rutger it sounds like. Idunn on the other hand had to revert out of what was hoped would be a toning down with Duma, IS couldn't help themselves. Lugh being fairly good sounds great for me.

Yes I remember one of the arguments was oh Surtr 180BST and 180BST in general was a mistake, that is why Duma came in with 174.  Then we saw the Greil Devoted armors also at 174...even mighty Ike the face of Heroes.  So I thought, maybe.  However now we get Idunn with that 179, 180 with superboon BST.  Wish they would stop giving BST to non trainee units.  Surtr and Idunn don't fit 'trainee'.  Fae, Tiki, Myrrh all got trainee boost in their other forms so it makes sense plus they were in their games I guess.  

However they need people to pull on this banner.   Idunn's top notch art, sudden sexiness, 180BST, anti meta breath weapon and rare move/weapon type is the draw.  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lleu being pronounced "lay" means I seriously don't understand anything about Welsh, a language which seems heavy on the "L"s. Certainly more distinctive than English Scottish from what little I've seen of that, where I can see through the words to what they'd probably be in usual English spelling, it makes sense Welsh would be much more distinct, as would Gaelic Scottish of course.

I don't think even the Welsh themselves understand it. It's such a delightful language. I really do need to learn it.

5 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Yes I remember one of the arguments was oh Surtr 180BST and 180BST in general was a mistake, that is why Duma came in with 174.  Then we saw the Greil Devoted armors also at 174...even mighty Ike the face of Heroes.  So I thought, maybe.  However now we get Idunn with that 179, 180 with superboon BST.  Wish they would stop giving BST to non trainee units.  Surtr and Idunn don't fit 'trainee'.  Fae, Tiki, Myrrh all got trainee boost in their other forms so it makes sense plus they were in their games I guess.  

However they need people to pull on this banner.   Idunn's top notch art, sudden sexiness, 180BST, anti meta breath weapon and rare move/weapon type is the draw.  

I know that is the selling point on the banner Idunn but she really should been given a 174 bst. Stupid sexy damage art showing legs like that. With all these super dragon I built Marth and Julia recently to combat dragons ever increasing presence. Adding onto my  other anti dragon team of Chrom, Maskina, Alm, and Tiki.

26 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Wait is Kazahana not pronounced how it looks?

It's pronounced exactly how it looks.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By the way, if Lugh is named after the Lugh I'm aware of, for mythological accuracy, I recommend giving him an eyepatch (if there is one available), since the deity Lugh had only one eye (and I think one arm).

You might be confusing Lugh with Balor of the Evil Eye, the one-eyed Fomorian that was his grandfather and whom he killed in battle, and Nuada Airgetlam, "Nuada of the Silver Arm", the one-armed king with his other arm a functioning prosthetic made of silver that preceded Lugh as king of Ireland.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's pronounced exactly how it looks.

So they changed it because they think Americans are too stupid to understand foreign names? Isn't Treehouse just the best? Though to be fair, that might not be too far from the truth.

22 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

So they changed it because they think Americans are too stupid to understand foreign names? Isn't Treehouse just the best? Though to be fair, that might not be too far from the truth.

Honestly, the localization team seems to do that way too often with names derived from foreign languages from Awakening forward. Here are a bunch of examples:

• Reflet → Robin: From French.
  • Soiree → Sully: From French.
  • Sort → Stahl: From French... to German.
  • Denis → Donnel: From French.
  • Eudes → Owain: From French.
  • Chambray → Yarne: From French.
  • Kamui → Corrin: From Japanese.
  • Suzukaze → Kaze: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Asyura → Shura: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Mozume → Mozu: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kanna → Kana: From Japanese to... I guess shorter Japanese.
  • Midoriko → Midori: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kazahana → Hana: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Tsubaki → Subaki: From Japanese to corrupted Japanese.
  • Tsukuyomi → Hayato: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Yuugiri → Reina: From Japanese to... something.
  • Nishiki → Kaden: From Japanese ("nishiki" = "brocade") to English (from the "cade" in "brocade").
  • Shinonome → Shiro: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kisaragi → Kiragi: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kinu → Selkie: From Japanese ("kinu" = "silk") to English (sounds like "silk").
  • Benoit → Benny: From French.
  • Eponine → Nina: From French.

... Notice a theme?

It seems they don't think Americans have any clue how to deal with French or Japanese. (That said, French is weird, so...) But it seriously looks like they don't think Americans can deal with Japanese names more than 6 letters long.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Honestly, the localization team seems to do that way too often with names derived from foreign languages from Awakening forward. Here are a bunch of examples:

• Reflet → Robin: From French.
  • Soiree → Sully: From French.
  • Sort → Stahl: From French... to German.
  • Denis → Donnel: From French.
  • Eudes → Owain: From French.
  • Chambray → Yarne: From French.
  • Kamui → Corrin: From Japanese.
  • Suzukaze → Kaze: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Asyura → Shura: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Mozume → Mozu: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kanna → Kana: From Japanese to... I guess shorter Japanese.
  • Midoriko → Midori: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kazahana → Hana: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Tsubaki → Subaki: From Japanese to corrupted Japanese.
  • Tsukuyomi → Hayato: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Yuugiri → Reina: From Japanese to... something.
  • Nishiki → Kaden: From Japanese ("nishiki" = "brocade") to English (from the "cade" in "brocade").
  • Shinonome → Shiro: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kisaragi → Kiragi: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.
  • Kinu → Selkie: From Japanese ("kinu" = "silk") to English (sounds like "silk").
  • Benoit → Benny: From French.
  • Eponine → Nina: From French.

... Notice a theme?

It seems they don't think Americans have any clue how to deal with French or Japanese. (That said, French is weird, so...) But it seriously looks like they don't think Americans can deal with Japanese names more than 6 letters long.

I don't blame people to don't understanding French ("Kamú" isn't exactly how a normal personal would expect to pronounce Camus), but damn; it particular hurts me the Japanese names that were americanized (I mean... the idea of Hoshido/White Night Kingdom is to be a Japan-like State).

Edited by Troykv

@Ice Dragon I can kind of understand the ones to maintain puns or whatever since I think that's somewhat of a common practice in translations (mostly from someone talking about Harry Potter), but some of those are just dumb as shit. Especially Denis to Donnel. They took an actual common named that actual people in the actual US have and made him a Gaelic hill(?).

Kanna I think I might understand. Not sure how it's intended to be pronounced in Japanese, but Kanna would be like Anna and might suggest a pronunciation like kan-ah, similar to the words can and candy. Kana would be more like Ana, which is generally an "ah" sound so the name would more suggest kon-ah/kahn-ah. If that's closer to the intended pronunciation, then I guess I can understand that. If not, fuck if I know.

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Meanwhile the Puyo Puyo series, which is aimed at a much younger, casual audience than Fire Emblem, kept Risukuma and Suketoudara completely intact.

Go figure.

14 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Not sure how it's intended to be pronounced in Japanese,

Easy rule of thumb is that all vowels are pronounced close enough to how they are in Spanish ("ah", "ee", "ooh", "eh", "oh") and consonants do not have hard and soft variants ("g" is always "get" and not "gel"). The letter "r" is the same as Spanish single "r" (but you can use the Spanish rolled "rr" if you want to sound like a delinquent). "Ts" is a single sound, like in "cats", but appears at the start of syllables instead of at the end, which trips people up.

So I’m pretty sure there will be a Blazing Sword banner this year. Involving Louise and Pent, no doubt. People will likely appreciate that there is one but will not pull on it when revealed because it will lack elements they don’t already have mostly covered.

My question is, how do you make a banner like that worth pulling for, for players that will expressively ask for there to be one just before they call it an easy pass?

Edited by Vince777

10 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

So I’m pretty sure there will be a Blazing Sword banner this year. Involving Louise and Pent, no doubt. People will likely appreciate that there is one but will not pull on it when revealed because it will lack elements they don’t already have mostly covered.

My question is, how do you make a banner like that worth pulling for, for players that will expressively ask for there to be one just before they call it an easy pass?

Have Nils be on the banner as well maybe? Erk too I suppose because of his connection to Pent and Louise

12 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

If Pent's on it and has half-way decent art, I'm pulling unless I'm starved for orbs or a character I want more seems to be coming soon.

Erk is just a mage. Something everyone has a million units of.

I suppose Nils could be a rare unit type.

Rath would be rare as well.

Anyway my point is, if rare unit types are what makes people pull, New Heroes are limited in that regard and yet I feel you keep seeing people ask for them before showing disinterest when the banner is finally released.

Edited by Vince777

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I know that is the selling point on the banner Idunn but she really should been given a 174 bst. Stupid sexy damage art showing legs like that. With all these super dragon I built Marth and Julia recently to combat dragons ever increasing presence. Adding onto my  other anti dragon team of Chrom, Maskina, Alm, and Tiki.

I agree.  The first mistake was making Surtr trainee so he gets 180BST.  It's like there aren't rules anymore.  Duma is a final boss too, so that can't be used as a reason either.  

Anyways Idunn on her new weapon and incredible art should have been enough of a sell for the banner and with good stat allocation she could still be great with 5 less BST.  

11 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I agree.  The first mistake was making Surtr trainee so he gets 180BST.  It's like there aren't rules anymore.  Duma is a final boss too, so that can't be used as a reason either.  

Anyways Idunn on her new weapon and incredible art should have been enough of a sell for the banner and with good stat allocation she could still be great with 5 less BST.  

At least the rest of the trainees have some weird stats spread that makes them flexible but avoid making them super min-maxed (even Idunn it's like that with her 26 Spd being actually workable)... the exception to this is of course Surtr.

If Idoun wasn't a Trainee I'm sure all the points she would have lose would be in Speed (Duma in fact is a 21 Spd Armor).

Edited by Troykv

2 hours ago, Troykv said:

At least the rest of the trainees have some weird stats spread that makes them flexible but avoid making them super min-maxed (even Idunn it's like that with her 26 Spd being actually workable)... the exception to this is of course Surtr.

If Idoun wasn't a Trainee I'm sure all the points she would have lose would be in Speed (Duma in fact is a 21 Spd Armor).

That flexibility is really nice though and allows more diverse builds, of course there is the scoring issue as well. 

4 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I admit to being one of the people making that argument. Now when is IS sending me that dunce cap accessory as compensation?

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tsukuyomi → Hayato: From Japanese to shorter Japanese.

This is the one on the list that makes little sense to me. For most of the Japanese, they just chopped off the beginning or ending of a name, you couldn't tell what the original was in this case. And what with Reina? I never noticed how out of place her name was before, she isn't even a beast, so she isn't an "outsider" to humanity.

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Anyway my point is, if rare unit types are what makes people pull, New Heroes are limited in that regard and yet I feel you keep seeing people ask for them before showing disinterest when the banner is finally released.

That is a real problem. FE has experimented only so much with class-unit setups. We didn't get flying tomes until Awakening. And Armor. save for the Barons of Jugdral, never have taken up magic, ever, not even Awakening and Fates- they've been stuck to one-two physical classes.

Seasonals, as much as they are disliked, is a way to provide so many ideas FE has never tried out; hopefully future FEs will correct that.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Seasonals, as much as they are disliked, is a way to provide so many ideas FE has never tried out; hopefully future FEs will correct that.

This is a big part of why I didn't hate SM!Eirika as much as most people. It allowed for less rigid following of cannon while still having a more serious tone. If someone made a deal with me that every NH banner from here on out would have an alt or two in a similar vein to Kinishi Hinoka or SM!Eirika, but there would either be no more or drastically fewer seasonal banners, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Make Nils a flying blue dragon and all my orbs will go to that banner.  Though if they made Rath as good as B!Lyn or better that would get my orbs as well.

24 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

This is a big part of why I didn't hate SM!Eirika as much as most people. It allowed for less rigid following of cannon while still having a more serious tone. If someone made a deal with me that every NH banner from here on out would have an alt or two in a similar vein to Kinishi Hinoka or SM!Eirika, but there would either be no more or drastically fewer seasonal banners, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

I was actually one of the people starting polemics against Gleipnir Eirika.

This said, I wouldn't have minded it, were it not for the fact that units are being drip fed into this game, and the banner was only three units (all female) at the time. If they ratcheted up the quantity of New Heroes we were getting, if there was the feasible hope that everyone or 90% of characters made it into this game before it died, I wouldn't have minded. I'd be totally fine if banners in the latter years were nothing but creative altfests, complete with crossover events with everything from Mario to Nier to Seven Eleven.

I think this might be a distinctly FE problem regarding gatcha. To use a different franchise, like Final Fantasy, most games in that franchise don't hit or exceed 10 main characters and a couple villains. Getting everyone in there should be no problemo, not the case for FE where the smallest game's roster is 33.

18 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Make Nils a flying blue dragon and all my orbs will go to that banner. 

Ice Dragons don't have wings though. How about we have Hector piggyback him (unshifted) everywhere for a Blue Breath Cav instead? (Hector just vanishes when Nils shifts his form, and reappears when he unshifts.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Benoit → Benny: From French.

There were some people thinking they localized Benoit to Benny because of what happened with Chris Benoit. While names with bad histories which you could argue is almost all names shouldn't prevent fictional characters or anyone really from having the name, I think they wanted to be careful and not have a giant, muscular dude share the same name as a professional wrestler who committed a tragic crime. Granted, perhaps not everyone would have connected the name to Chris Benoit specifically, but still.

Benny sounds silly, although, fitting for a giant man who's gentle and dorky, but they could have gone with something else like Benjamin, Bennett, or Benedict where Benedict is apparently the English version of Benoit. With his son's name being localized as Ignatius, maybe Benedictus would have worked better to tie them together with having Latin names and names associated with saints.

Edited by Kaden

Probably the same reason Marx was changed to Xander. Some communist named Carl Marx was a thing.

Though then I question why there's a Marx in the Kirby series. Maybe it was different localization teams.

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

Make Nils a flying blue dragon and all my orbs will go to that banner.  Though if they made Rath as good as B!Lyn or better that would get my orbs as well.

Exactly what I'm saying. You pull for rare unit types which both Nils and Rath would be (which is about as much as we can still get from Blazing Sword). New Heroes banners can only offer so much. A lot of people seem to simulteanously want New Heroes banners but will just not pull on them when they're around.

Personally, I don't care, as I'm more about collecting the shiny new things than I am about unit diversity, especially if that unit diversity is something fucking stupid like a rabbit suit.

Edited by Vince777