Preferable FE4 Translation?

I've noticed there are two translation patches on this forum for FE4, and while I should probably take at least a day off from playing FE after having just romped through FE3 and then FE6, I can't help myself and want to give Genealogy a spin!

So which fan translation is the better one, the pinned Gharnef one, or the unpinned one whose TC is Bookofholsety?

Also, I'm running OpenEmu, in case that renders one of the patches unviable.

I would say that Project Naga edges out Gharnef's overall, but you can certainly use either one imo (except for the ending where Gharnef's crashes)

On looking into it, someone started playing Project Naga on OpenEmu and didn't mention running into issues, though they didn't come back to give full feedback.

Edited by Dayni

I vouch for Project Naga.

So far have been playing it with no issues.  As far as I can tell, it's the patch that most accurately replicates the tones in the original.

I started recently with Project Nagam currently chapter 2, and it sure is a very nice one to read. I had seem some fe4 screenshots before (dunno if they were Gharnef or not) and things read a little wonky.

I'm running it on snes9x, so i can't say if it will work on OpenEmu. The only problem with Porject Naga, according with it's own homepage, is that it doesn't work on every emulator.

I also recommend seeing if your Rom is headered or not and if it is ips or xdelta. They give you 4 patches that you must use according to your Rom type.

Project Naga has a really nice translation. I know the translator isn't 100% satisfied with it and has some revisions planned, but it definitely has more care put into accuracy and characterization. The Gharnef patch is more or less a continuation of a series of patches that started somewhere around 2000, but the translation has a lot of liberties and oddities and most of the editors in the last decade, who didn't actually speak Japanese, left the script as-is with a few changes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work everybody put into the J2E/Twilkitri/Gharnef patch, it let an entire generation of FE fans enjoy Genealogy, but at this point I think its only value is historical.

Edited by Fëanen

The Naga Patch is pretty good, being able to translate text and characterization of the characters well. Its still in beta, but I didn't encounter any major bugs with it as far as I can recall, except for rare cases of spelling mistakes. 

I haven't played the Gharnef patch. I do know the ending credits aren't translated and, from the posts I've seen in this thread, isn't quite accurate as the Naga Patch.

So I'd say go with the Naga one, but its up to you.

go for Project Naga, it should be safe.

i've played the game before with another patch, the one where Seliph was named Celice, and the ending was a complete mess. not only the translation of the final chapter prologue was complete gibberish, but even the game crashed during the credits, everytime at the same point. i couldn't even see the final ranking, nor the secret ending.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, tonymack21 said:

I downloaded a pre patched rom for FE4, is there something early game that will tell me if its the project naga?

The quality of the translation, perhaps.  But I wouldn't trust pre-patched things in general.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

The quality of the translation, perhaps.  But I wouldn't trust pre-patched things in general.

Project Naga also expanded the ROM from 4MB to 8MB, so that's an easy tell as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, tonymack21 said:

I downloaded a pre patched rom for FE4, is there something early game that will tell me if its the project naga?

I think the weapons should be able to tell you. If a steel sword says "Steel sword" or just "Steel" for example. If it has the full name then it is Naga, if it's just the one word then it's Gharnef.