Hints of more modes coming to Ultimate!

Anacybele

https://twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1104203920681910273

YES! This says dataminers found hints of the stage builder and Home Run Contest! I've been hoping for these to return! What improvements would you like to see to them? Personally, I just want more options in general for the stage builder. I feel like Brawl and Smash 4 both left it a bit bare bones.

Home Run contest, not sure how I'd improve this one, but it's still good to know it's very likely returning!

Huh, that article says Home Run Contest is a fan favorite. And I have seen others questioning why it isn't in Ultimate. And I liked it. I won't say it's my favorite mode ever, but yeah.

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You must be the only person who cares for the Home Run Contest at this point in time.

Quite a few people have missed the mode actually. 

All I want is to be able to make a stage that's literally just two treadmills going in opposite directions of each other because I'm a sadistic bastard.

Or alternatively I'd like to be able to make spike rooms that just cause fighters with high damage to constantly bounce up and down off the ceiling and floor in a never ending torrent of pain.

I'm not a nice person when it comes to Smash, am I?  It's no wonder the last time I went to a party and played Smash that I wound up as public enemy number 1.

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You must be the only person who cares for the Home Run Contest at this point in time.

I thought it was reasonably fun.  I liked learning how to use Ganondorf's Reverse Warlock Punch to send the sandbag into the stratosphere.

Stage Builder would be awesome to have back. A friend of mine is a big fan of Ike, so he had made a stage based on Ragnell, and I remember having a ton of laughs about how broken the stage was since we kept clipping through certain parts of it.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

I thought it was reasonably fun.  I liked learning how to use Ganondorf's Reverse Warlock Punch to send the sandbag into the stratosphere.

I remember Ganondorf and Roy being the best characters to use for single-player Home Run Contest back in Smash 4. It was awesome being able to get to distances that really shouldn't be possible.

31 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

A lot of people wanted Home Run Contest to return in Ultimate. I think Ultimate isn't nearly completed yet besides the DLC Fighters since it's kinda missing All-Star Mode, Target Test!, and Smash Run as well.

The addition of new (or more likely, returning) modes has been anticipated, at least speaking for myself. Mostly because there is precedence for adding in entire modes through free updates. Smash 4 on Wii U had its tournament mode added in an update, among other features related to miiverse and sharing content creations from the game. I've been lamenting this game's lack of classic modes since long before release and the exclusion of Stage Builder and Home Run Contest were certainly surprising. None more surprising though than the exclusion of Boss Battles. Not only a mode that makes sense in a game that includes multiple bosses to fight, but a mode that feels all too crucial for any game starring Kirby or developed by Kirby's creator. It wouldn't even take much development resources to make. You do a Boss Rush at the end of Adventure Mode, just take that and make a room with three heart containers and some calming music.

22 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think Ultimate isn't nearly completed yet besides the DLC Fighters since it's kinda missing All-Star Mode, Target Test!, and Smash Run as well.

I really wish they implemented Smash Run in more than just the 3DS game, it was legit fun.  I had more fun with it than the Mario Party Lite mode they had in the Wii U version.  And Break the Targets is just classic.

49 minutes ago, indigocean said:

I remember Ganondorf and Roy being the best characters to use for single-player Home Run Contest back in Smash 4. It was awesome being able to get to distances that really shouldn't be possible.

Yeah, pretty much.  Definitely wasn't designed around the players using the fighters' actual moves instead of the home run bat.

Before Smash 4 came around, I also remember Yoshi was good at damaging the sandbag with his flutter kick without knocking it off the tee-off point.

15 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

HRC was always a favorite mode of mine and getting cut in Ultimate was my only major disappointment. Bring it back and the game is perfect for me (barring potential DLC characters).

On 3/8/2019 at 9:43 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

I liked it; it provided a nice change of pace, and honestly I'll take any past mode getting added back in after Ultimate's lacking single player offerings.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, King Marth 64 said:

All-Star Mode

Is in the game under Mob Smash.

Smash Run

Is not a mode outside of the 3DS version of Smash 4, and thus, will probably not be returning.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 3/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Is not a mode outside of the 3DS version of Smash 4, and thus, will probably not be returning.

That's not conclusive evidence. Are you just saying that because the 3DS version is "inferior"? Because by that logic, none of the 3DS stages should have come back, but here we are.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, NoirCore said:

That's not conclusive evidence. Are you just saying that because the 3DS version is "inferior"? Because by that logic, none of the 3DS stages should have come back, but here we are.

You clearly haven't noticed this, but each game after the first had some mode unique to them: Melee had Adventure Mode, Brawl had the Subspace Emissary and Smash 4 had Smash Run/Tour. Also, note that none of them returned in a subsequent entry. I think you'll find that's conclusive enough.

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You clearly haven't noticed this, but each game after the first had some mode unique to them: Melee had Adventure Mode, Brawl had the Subspace Emissary and Smash 4 had Smash Run/Tour. Also, note that none of them returned in a subsequent entry. I think you'll find that's conclusive enough.

And what of the modes that did return in the next entry? Why ignore them? This is just cherry picking examples. Also Subspace Emissary is literally called "Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary". It's a subtitle. Fans just call the mode by its subtitle in order to differentiate what they like more between brawl and Melee's interpretations of the mode. 

Edited by Glennstavos

18 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

And what of the modes that did return in the next entry? Why ignore them?

If you had bothered to read the whole conversation, you'd know that I wasn't talking about those, and was instead talking about Smash Run not returning because it was an exclusive mode to Smash 4.

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If you had bothered to read the whole conversation, you'd know that I wasn't talking about those, and was instead talking about Smash Run not returning because it was an exclusive mode to Smash 4.

You're right, I regret having wasted time reading the whole conversation now that I have received this not-response.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

...*facepalm* For someone who baselessly claimed I didn't notice modes unique to games, you don't seem to be paying attention. 

Your logic is "There are modes in past games that did not continue in future games, so the same applies to Smash Run" which can easily be contradicted by how there are modes introduced in past games that keep continuing on (never mind that Adventure Mode in Melee and Brawl can count and you'd be relying on technicalities to claim they're different). Stage Builder was in Brawl and continued. Multi-Man was in Melee and continued. All-Star was in Melee and continued. Nothing says that Smash Run can't potentially return and there is no logic to even hint at this. Who says it's exclusive to the point of not coming back? If you're relying on word before Ultimate was even teased because it's exclusive to the 3DS and isn't on the Wii U, that's not reliable logic as it doesn't account for Ultimate for obvious reasons.

As simple as it is, I enjoyed board the platforms from the 64. Would be kind of neat to see what they can come up with now. Also, I agree with adding homerun contest and maybe break the targets back into the game.

Home run contest would be a fun addition. I always sucked at it, but I do enjoy trying it out. Would be specially great now that short-hopping is so much easier in this game than it was in Brawl (at least it feels that way to me). That Ganondorf Dair will probably be a really good tactic still. I hope.

I would also really love to see a board the platforms and break the targets specific to each character. I guess that is a lot to ask for though, so I'd be ok with a few levels of both to try out.