[FE8] Faith and Blood (Part II Complete, 14 Chapters!)

Bloopy

Current Release: v0.3.2 - 14/20 chapters complete, Part I and II released (Only Part III remains!)

Download the patch here (apply .ups to clean FE8 rom): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfmDuE3uSczT4hrYBwjhrUwXSZ4bPM3c/view?usp=sharing

Join the project’s discord: https://discord.gg/MtvnF3d

BlTZhrs7Ty73AqnEmjJVK3hXiDlEPrlf3Zyvpb2q0nl5g6KTiCGbLggvMCdAvL5Vh9D4U-NV_0VHSzZs1Zd3JcXrCNnMlEGxvW6JOdrk7UDioG3ILKVMEqhBQdckS20uhYVYi-q18RDBM1tALBOROHHPdyxsluY453jKRYzjB0PMYPzAXAtUpvbsiprJAFe_sgtG9iqHWcWQB2_5ds22ONjjlOHgzGaDOtFge-7t149sVFabB7LvFFE14DAcLIubfYn3JkK_x4Y5SJroejeJjJNfjfByhD7IWk6V8R6s4v-wgSn6_V_BjjnGhiIqSSCzYzw_f_i_maGByAiuCnMsFONuxxec8xWJnOlfUr79gcsqghTMSaj9AcmYc9_XRG8dIC9_3KmscpGGe-nqUjx5yr13

vF7hbdrIv8C4vztPOhDWjwNsHHWX7qZB1gx2EO4-zBjuRBTlNhTjMSniCvd9vKPYLfO_EmNhC1-DHhzQT5W1NaFgbqybQJ4DJqV7cKDrOE53cu_LWcxM5XtPnbsqmXsSlOFzDHUFf-FgleRiDq0Bo0uzpW-5aIidL2n2ZDoQDXxODgw0u6QW6WL0Cjfl7CPdHx2ob505Gtl9HR-ZVCnKUexxbfbpi1muHv_GGYvzQBfZncB50ybq9cSeS84iv0J1KmA55C_XpD96sY1O5BPscP-93xydoKmfBj3FnDzNDyBCscwjrLrNnEfM0IpLiWa51iGdDWivmbPdZ0DcOyKjYrphbOhzKhqRTp8T7ht8Qi4Eqn9xksGPJXHr2Sx5mCqat7Ii_pW2L6Fv4Npuu5NFPTml

2IM5qU1K0iyXUHdjVTlVaZSjMDKHe3lnd_15MG4QvAPTwq6Q2KS0MwNgHA6alWwzpgP5FQceK2y18M5xlnan0Usqvn2mpLCF4z7W6uTngCcisZzCqeZ3DrWaB9usjiAxVlvJ0CcB7m51rNWifebOE7O4H6_0VdGJBGWKdK7Y5Km9ng1551m4ieT8bW9GHqUXAFi_5zAsYEJqcmoN5OJwFsh_mXYswl34N1N7ci7_ZUVSZJxZfJKgAWR3smJor5lo0WOgOPqPAvPiL0uSNv7UwfrHJcPKCCFpLZx1NWMOFOEwFLul-YJ_Y-Ov3ZtP7fb1Ae2m-Vbnd1M9BQAWYF5PFAtD8HCeR6VlEqTX9CeZwnnh5weVCEZD8eh6JvOSK7HccAcxKsJvVvrjbOTRFXg76een

Overview

The continent of Vaelor has known peace for decades under the rule of Farna. After a bloody war remembered vividly by the elderly, the young have grown up in a world ruled by religion. Farna governs from the Citadel, a grand castle at Vaelor’s center. The nations of Ilden, Rivale and Gerra are bound to their decisions by treaty, each forced to adopt Farna’s beliefs and submit to their will. Is freedom worth reliving the tragedy of long ago?

Faith and Blood is a custom project that uses FE8 as a base for a new game. It started as a loose collection of ideas I gathered over my years playing Fire Emblem. Eventually these ideas began to be refined in my head and I started to write out a plan for a fangame. When 7743’s FEBuilder was released, I started messing around with the program and shortly after the formal project was born. I’m thankful for those who’ve contributed the hacking resources that allowed me the opportunity to make something from my ideas. For those playing, I hope you potentially start to get creative and find your own ideas to invest in. More importantly, have fun! Faith and Blood presents challenging gameplay with incentive for player action rather than reaction, as well as a serious story driven by its characters. Feedback is encouraged and I’m always hoping to improve the project!

Features

• Streamlined Skill System- Excluding Canto and Steal, each unit and boss only have 2 skills- a personal that acts as a quirk or incentive to using them in addition to a map movement skill(Shove, Swap, Reposition, etc.) based on their class.
  • Class and Item Rebalancing- Adjustments to class and weapon stats to make each class useful in their own niche, without overpowering the others(Knights gain swords and lances for example, while cavaliers are mono-weapon). Split promotion classes have trade-offs to make your choices matter!
  • Varied Objectives- Escape, Defend, Seize, Defeat boss(or bosses) and Rout are all present! Chapters always present something new.
  • Thoughtful Resource Management- Gold is available, but not plentiful. Basic supplies are common, but you will have to make choices about which advanced items to invest in!
  • An Original Story, Setting and Cast- A new conflict to experience and world to learn about with 24 playable characters in this release!
  • No Route Split, No Ports- I intend on finishing this project 😛

Team/Former Volunteers

• Bloopy- Schnoz
  • LaurentLacroix, Vlak, Levin- Contributing Artists

Credits

Spoiler
  • Intelligent Systems- Fire Emblem 8
  • 7743- FEBuilder
  • Circleseverywhere- Skill Skystem, Growth Display, HP Bars
  • Tequila- Enemy range display, Heal amount display
  • Glaceo- Title Screen
  • Hypergammaspaces- Battle screen
  • Lenh- Status Screen
  • Tristan- Item Icons
  • Melia- 2-F CG
  • MageKnight404, Glenwing- Fighter animation
  • TheBlindArcher- Halberdier animation, General animation
  • Nuramon- Hero animation, Ephraim repalette, Wyvern Lord animation, General animation
  • Team SALVAGED- Cavalier animation, Paladin animation, Knight animation, Mercenary animation
  • Alusq- Soldier animation
  • Der- Thief animation, Pirate animation
  • Its_Just_Jay- Dancer animation
  • Skitty- Great Knight repalette
  • L95-Sword/Lance Paladin map sprites
  • RobertFPY- Axe Paladin map sprites
  • FPZero- Sword Pal. class card
  • Meat of Justice- Axe Pal. class card
  • Blade- Ardane mug
  • CapibaraInSpace- Luca mug, Roderick mug, Meliora mug
  • SmokeyGuy77- Vendrick mug
  • Alusq- Landon's Mother mug
  • Feier- Norman mug
  • Alusq, SaXor, Alfred Kamon, Scraiza, MrGreen3339- Music
Edited by Bloopy

7 minutes ago, A_Reliable_Chair said:

Wow, this looks really cool. Is Roy in this Hack?

Why are you like this Chair

Edited by Bloopy

Always exciting to see new hacks/fangames, especially ones with a decent build size.  My feedback so far:

Chapter 1-0:

• Very solid first map, especially for teaching players how to make use of movement Skills (i.e. Reposition, Swap).  No complaints here.
  • Interesting way of setting up the plot.
  • What I've seen of the custom assets so far is mostly good.  I like the use of Genealogy of the Holy War's minor boss battle music as the main Enemy Phase music.  My only gripe so far about the portraits is that Landon and Elias look too similar.  Heck, they even have the exact same body!  Maybe you could make Elias's portrait look a little rougher around the edges.
  • Did you consider numbering this chapter 1-P instead of 1-0?  I think 1-P sounds more natural since this is a Prologue chapter.

Chapter 1-1:

• Loving the conflict of peace versus freedom you're pushing forward here.  Are you also a Megami Tensei fan by any chance?
  • Why the f*** do Great Knights only have 5 Mov?  Assuming the promotion branches are the same as in vanilla Sacred Stones, nobody's going to want to use them if they have such low Mov, even if they do have full Weapon Triangle control.  Unless this is a special nerfed boss-only version.
  • Speaking of Great Knights, I think Vendrick shows up a turn or two too early.  He was just about to kill me by the time I cleared the chapter.  Me cutting it so close may have been due to bad luck with enemy auto-Leveling.  In my first attempt, Mary and Elias were able to kill some of the initial enemies on the first turn, but in subsequent attempts, they weren't.
  • I understand the reasoning behind giving Knights access to both Swords and Lances, but I notice they also exist alongside Sword/Lance/Axe Cavaliers.  Maybe you could also make Knight variants that can wield Axes in addition to Swords or Lances to fill in the balancing gaps?

Chapter 1-2:

• Victoria's cute and the boss was pretty funny.  Poor guy...
  • This map was a bit more boring than the previous two, though.  I feel I should note that I've been getting a lot of mediocre Level Ups from most characters other than Bryce (who is awesome).

13 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

-Mugs are probably the weakest part of the project currently, I need to take some time to improve on them or find an artist in the future.

-Naming it 1-P is actually... a really good idea. Not sure why I never considered that.

-Great Knights still have 6 mov, Vendrick uses a special GK class with 5 mov for 1-1 so he can’t outpace your units.

-If moving efficiently, even with some unlucky enemy stat variation, you can clear the map with several turns to spare.

-I won’t rule out adding an axe variant of knights in the future, but I didn’t find it necessary for enemy composition. The class changes were made in order to make classes more balanced, not to add a weapon triangle variant for every class.

-Depending on how much you push or turtle, the flow of 1-2 can change. Most of the time the ai will be pushing in response to you coming closer. I may vary the ai more in the future to make more enemies charge instantly at certain points.

-That’s what Bryce is there for ;)

Edited by Bloopy

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

My only gripe so far about the portraits is that Landon and Elias look too similar.  Heck, they even have the exact same body!  Maybe you could make Elias's portrait look a little rougher around the edges.

12 hours ago, Bloopy said:

Mugs are probably the weakest part of the project currently, I need to take some time to improve on them or find an artist in the future.

I may be able to help with that. I really like the project so far and would love to lend a hand. Can I try something with Elias and send it to you in private?

Edited by LaurentLacroix

1 hour ago, LaurentLacroix said:

I may be able to help with that. I really like the project so far and would love to lend a hand. Can I try something with Elias and send it to you in private?

Yeah, go for it.

Edited by Bloopy

Moving on!

Chapter 1-3:

• Not much to say about the map, besides that most characters other than Victoria are having issues double-attacking now.  The good availability of Steel weapons makes up for it, though.  Victoria was able to put in decent work as an anti-Cavalry unit.
  • Good that you're expanding on the moral greyness of the whole religious conflict.

Chapter 1-4:

• Why does Pate have an Iron Lance that he can't use in his initial Inventory?
  • Alyssa doesn't look that great.  She's about 3-4 Levels ahead of everyone else and her base stats are barely better.  And those growth rates...  I guess she can be alright if I early-promote her before the last chapter of this demo, though.
  • Luca looks male, but he still uses female Troubadour animations?  I thought there was a male Troubadour animation somewhere.  It was in the last hack I played, Crystal of Bonds I think it was called.
  • This was a pretty fun chapter, certainly making up for the slack in the previous two.  I finally started getting good Level Ups.
  • Gerald started out especially mediocre, but he was able to get much better by the end of this chapter.  Victoria was evasive enough to practically solo the right side of the map with all the enemy Axe users.
  • The sudden ally reinforcements on the last turn were unexpected but a welcome subversion of expectations.

Guess I'll give my op on what's here so far since I beat the available chapters. 

Story: I'm enjoying it so far. I'm interested in what's going on and the writing is not too long or short and still gets to the point. Can't say much without it being done or there being more specifically to comment on. On a side note, I like that bosses have a little nudge of character without going overblown. It makes you feel that the people you fight are a bit more than some stronger cronies who's over the top evil or something.

Gameplay: 1-0

Pretty straight foward while also showing off the usefulness of the few units you have so far. Find it odd though that Bryce only has one of his usable weapons but I guess it works. I also agree that this chapter should probably be renamed 1-P.

1-1

A fun escape chapter though I feel the chests are in a bit of an annoying spot. Otherwise all good. Actually, unless otherwise stated, assume I think the chapter is nice other than whatever I mention.

1-2

Nothing really to note.

1-3

Having the choice on what to buy actually be tough for once in a fire emblem game is very nice. Me like.

1-4

A really well done defense chapter with something to do on both phases. Probably one of the best defense chapters I've seen in a hack. Also having a peg unit who is centered around her bases (and ability to promote almost instantly) is interesting and I like the idea.

1-5

Nothing to note.

1-F

I feel like the chapter is a little slow paced. For a chapter where the enemy is attacking (story-wise), they sure don't make much of an effort to go towards you at all unless you go into their range.

6 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

-During 1-4’s intro conversation, Pate mentions that Alyssa made him the carry the weapons. It’s not a glitch, although I can try and make that a bit more clear.

-Hrm, yes, if only Alyssa could promote somehow ;p

-Luca is female.

3 hours ago, familyplayer said:

-Due to 1-F’s fog I didn’t want to overdo it with enemy aggresiveness. Being able to accidentally trigger bosses, plus reinforcments or charging enemies could become frustrating quickly. I’ll keep this in mind though, and I’ll try to increase the danger and pace.

10 hours ago, Bloopy said:

Due to 1-F’s fog I didn’t want to overdo it with enemy aggresiveness. Being able to accidentally trigger bosses, plus reinforcments or charging enemies could become frustrating quickly. I’ll keep this in mind though, and I’ll try to increase the danger and pace

I understand. I also saw that the recruitable character was intentionally made immobile and out of enemy range so I was wondering if that was part of the reasoning. Hopefully there's a way to increase the tension without it becoming more annoying than fun.

...And done!

Chapter 1-5:

• An alright map.  The Brigand starting so close to the Village was a bit scary, but I was able to deal with him.  I like how near the end you kind of have to race against Grundaf to get as much EXP as you can, especially from the boss.  I did something similar in my own game in Chapter 3.
  • Pate and Ferrus have been underwhelming, Pate due to his lack of 1-2-Range options and difficulty double-attacking and Ferrus due to his shaky hit rates.

Chapter 1-F:

Spoiler

What's this?  The villain cult actually has some more depth to its motivations?  With a VERY clever implementation of the Fire Emblem name?  I applaud you!

• Aren't there female Thief sprites somewhere?  Sara looks like she could use them.  Map sprites, at least.  Are those battle animations yours?  They look a bit funny, like they have Popeye arms.
  • I noticed a bunch of breakable walls around your starting position that don't block anything.  What are those for?
  • Apparently Pirates can wield Lances?!  How does that work?
  • I'll echo familyplayer's sentiments that the enemies here are strangely non-aggressive.  Though I feel it's very scummy to hide Bow users and Zanbato wielders where you initially can't see them.

Overall:

• I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from you.
  • How many chapters is this game planned to have?  Several of my characters were already Level 10+ by the time I finished the demo.

14 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

-You can see who created each custom animation in the credits, the thief I used was done by DerTheVaporeon.

-1-F’s walls being breakable is only for aesthetics due to the story of the map.

-Pirate thing is weird, I’ll have to check that out

-The bows/Zanbato are there to punish players who rush into fog. They aren’t everywhere on the map, and can be spotted pretty easily using the Torch staff. If I make enemies more aggressive, I’ll probably cut down on them so its not overwhelming.

-I have 20 chapters planned, could potentially change slightly.

Great hack. Interesting map design with varied objectives, and a less black and white story than what we're used to. It's dark, but not TOO dark, and I like that it's mostly character driven. Landon and Elias are very relatable.

On the negative side, I'm not a fan of the kind of fog of war used in it (but at least it didn't feel unfair). Also, the growth rates can sometime feel a little on the low-side; I often didn't up more than one or two stats. It made some chapter harder than they should have been. Otherwise I had a really good time playing this. Can't wait for the full release!

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone! Part II of Faith and Blood is now complete! The original post and download link have been updated with all the information you need. Happy playing and let me know what you think 😄