A relaxed Conquest playthrough (With Screenshots!)

DehNutCase

18 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Because everyone else became more terrible, faster. (You also sound like you have no idea how to use squishy units, like, at all. Edit: Meaning your rating probably isn't accurate.)

Everyone gets worse going from Normal to Hard, Hard to Lunatic. Nyx happened to not be affected as much because on all three difficulties she has overkill offenses, whereas other units' barely good enough bulk or offenses can become not good enough anyway.

Like, if a unit is 9/10 offenses and 1/10 defense, vs. another unit that's 8/10 offense 7/10 defense, if you don't need much stats to function then take the second one. But if 8/10 offenses might as well be 0 and 8/10 defenses might as well be zero then the 9/10 offense guy is the only one that can do things.

The disparity isn't that big, of course, but what you're missing is that units don't get better or worse at the same rate as you change difficulties. Overkill offenses turn into good enough offenses, but good enough offenses or good enough bulk might just well turn into not good enough.

Edit: It's the same reason I consider Arthur as very, very good even though you think he's hot garbage.

His bulk (if he doesn't get crit), went from massive overkill to just barely good enough. Everyone else went below him because they don't have his hp pool. You think 500g (for the Bronze Axe---you can sell his Iron for 500 if you want to keep his damage, buy another Bronze and forge it) is more expensive than feeding people the 4 or so levels they'd need to not get 2HKOd, I don't.

In what way? If enemy stats are the same between Conquest Hard and Conquest Lunatic, which I believe they are, how's everyone else becoming worse? And you seriously think to assume I cannot use squishy units? The joke's on you, because I like mages - I just don't like how Nyx is cripplingly overspecialized. She can hit hard... but that's ruined by her being inaccurate - it doesn't matter how hard you can hit if you cannot hit. That uncertainty is not something I can afford to constantly gamble on in this game, especially in a game as unforgiving as Conquest, and ESPECIALLY on Lunatic.

The problem is, this is Fates, where defense is more important than in previous games - dodging cannot be relied upon to keep you alive as much as it could be in past games, particularly the GBA games.

Edit: Personally, I like running HP boon Corrin these days. Makes it so I actually have a reliable tank for the earlygame (Rinkah and Arthur don't count as reliable).

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

16Vl0bY.png

As you can see from the map...

I have no bloody clue what the AI is doing. Yeah they're destroying the bottom buildings, but why.

All your stat boosts are down there I guess. Enemies tend to take their chance to break them as well you see.

Not much changes this early on but the stronger buildings get, the more that they make a difference. It's something I tend to have in mind when moving stuff around on these maps.

Chapter 11:

Pre-map Planning:

77UHN3j.png

Chapter 10 was fun and all, but Chapter 11 is a pretty good representation of what Conquest is actually like, with un-dispellable hexing rods, interesting skill sets on the enemy units individually and as a group, and enemy stats that are getting better and better relative to your team. (IRRC after chapter 10 is when enemy levels and stats start increasing at a pretty quick pace---we'll see, though.) Chapter 11 is also basically the fairest map in Conquest---you have perfect information going in, IRRC you can even check where the stairs teleport to if you click on them during map preview.

That said, Chapter 11 still doesn't have the one thing that makes Conquest endgame Conquest endgame---there's nothing on the map that makes you rush, so a slow and steady strategy is both easier on the brain and easier on the RNG. Conquest doesn't really force you into high mobility, low turn-count teams until like chapter 20+*, but you'll need some child maps handy if you want to switch strategies at that point.

*Although you'll be getting a lot of gentle and not so gentle nudges before then.

7UhYnoc.png  JvvNtcV.png

Rinkah's room is pretty much just a speed-bump before we get to the next room. Not only is it easy to position yourself so that you counter-kill whatever you want the first turn in the room, the ninja is also retarded or something---if you have enough def to be taking 0 damage, it'll attack last rather than first.

Do note the 9% crit on her, though. Pretty much everyone will be seeing positive crit odds unless they're pair'd up. (The mace is also a 1-2 range weapon.)

The other maces have like 20-25 damage---I wasn't paying much attention and it doesn't matter much---and they all have seal Res, just to slow you down a tiny bit in case you had a unit with massive def and res and wanted to use them in Azama's room as well.

c0TqhmS.png

19 Atk, so it's pretty easy to make him go last. (The map did fix things so that everyone would attack even if they dealt 0 damage, so that the Ninjas aren't completely negated with raw def.) Note the seal speed---minus 6 speed is hard to fight through.

iixIQIE.png  t3sqf6e.png

Say hello to the first hexing rod asshole of the game. Hexing rod halves your hp, meaning it turns 2HKOs into 1HKOs, and 3 or 4 HKOs into 2HKOs.

Remember how being 2HKOd basically meant you were bulky? Yeah, if you didn't know how to stack stats at this point Azama is going to shove the knowledge down your throat. He also has a 150% counter and 33 hp, but that's the kind of thing that only works once, ever, unless you're being careless. (I suggest you turn off the game and go do something else for a while if he actually gets you with the counter---playing Conquest while tilted is a pretty bad idea.)

fbDrN91.png  8xHJrTV.png

20 Atk is the highest on the mages, and the sole archer has 25 Atk. So it's pretty easy to tank them even after getting your hp halved. (A 0 Res unit should be able to manage it with the hilariously broken yumi I gave Niles---I won't be using it, though.)

The Archer is a bigger problem, but Chapter 11 is still quite fair---there are safe spots from the Hexing Rod in the room itself, so you can swap in someone who tanks with hp to handle the archer before switching the Res tank back into the room.

9WFEndW.png oADOQ0O.png

Pretty simple room, bunch of units that like to get counter-killed. Everyone in the room can smack you pretty hard when you attack into them, so be careful with combat math. Everyone except Setsuna has a 100% melee counter.

Setsuna has 16 speed, 23 Atk, and a 1-2 range bow.

s9A55v7.png  2EDFsV9.png

25 Atk max from the archers, and 20 from the mage. Everyone is pretty slow, though, so any reasonably bulky unit can probably handle this room by themselves. (As long as, you know, they either OHKO from melee or can fight at 2 range.)

I7hUFo9.png  5oUb69c.png

If only Kaze got to keep his boss hp. (I wouldn't mind getting Vantage and Heartseeker for free, either---even the AI knows Odin's skill-pool is great.)

Everyone will smack you if you go in the front door---everyone but Kaze has Lunge---and going through the back door is cramped like hell.

aLUuXse.png  yuFa962.png

The axe guy has a hammer---which is 12 MT, or 36 MT against armors---which should be a pretty big hint that armors do very well in this room. And I'm not being sarcastic. Nobody has post-combat damage even though they're all level 10+ Ninjas, so anyone with good Def will steamroll this room.

The only problem with doing it with Effie would be getting rid of the axe guy, but 9 spd and 4 res is just begging to get murdered by a mage. Beruka could skip the axe murder part, but her Def tends to be a tad behind Effie's at this point in the game.

n9oVE7L.png  auosWw2.png

The middle room, and more or less the first place you see some really jerkassy skill setups. Featuring secret L&D Kodachi guy, who has 29 Atk with a Kodachi.

gU7JvGM.png

The front side has 21 Spd, 30 Atk with an Iron Katana.

LGjqE3k.png  ojEH5aN.png

The flanking Samurai pair-ups have Lunge and Armored Blow, just in case you're planning to be cute and try to get into the room without face tanking a 30 damage sword to the face.

It does mean you get to use Freeze staves to get into the room easier, but I prefer staves as the back-up plan rather than the main plan. (Not using staves as your Plan A is usually cheaper, and it gives you a plan B if your Plan A starts exploding.)

WxMrgX4.png

The Ninja in the room is the only Ninja on the map with Poison Strike for some reason. I guess they don't want to go full Conquest.jpg on you yet. (The Ninja room would be a hell of a ride if everyone had Poison Strike.)

The mage in the room doesn't matter---he has Malefic Aura to fuck up people who only look at Atk and not skills, but his stats are kind of garbage.

Just like the Ninja in Rinkah's room, this guy prefer to attack last for some god damn reason, meaning I could've saved a Freeze Staff. (More on this later.)

And, just like a lot of Conquest, it features a boss who's pretty god damn trivial once you've actually gotten to them. I won't be talking about Hinoka's room because you have to fuck up obscenely, amazingly hard to fuck up her room after getting there.

There's no rush on the map, so I keep my whole team together and just go through the rooms one by one. I go through Rinkah's first because I want Azama dead---his Hexing Rod can reach the middle room, just barely, and I don't want to keep worrying about it while I'm doing other rooms. Plus it's easier to go through the middle room through the mage side rather than the Ninja side.

L5GFLjl.png

We have 11 Deployment slots, so it was pretty easy to drop Silas, Arthur, and Mozu to make the team.

My Castle Stuff:

V0OXnbD.png  JqJnTEL.png

Once again, meh on the Lottery, but pretty crazy high-roll on the kitchen.

3gXAWum.png

8veHWW8.png  cW6Yuye.png

I basically got a free Str tonic on a lot of relevant people, which is pretty great.

Resource Distribution:

IGVlTgI.png

Camilla's job is to be the 'Oh Shit' button I press if I fuck up combat order, so I give her the tools to do that job properly. She has 2 raider weapons if she needs speed, a Steel Axe if she need raw Atk, and some tomes in case enemies happened to have really garbage Res.

I considered forging her Steel Axe to +1---axes get +4 MT going from Iron to Steel, Steel to Silver, so it's pretty great to forge the higher tier metals---but she doesn't really need it right now and my team's pretty competent at killing things already anyway.

Z4SPGN3.png

Gave Nyx Disrobing Gale too. Same reason---wanted a +3 speed option in case she needed to be fast for a ORKO.

8bQgB35.png

Stole Arthur's Hand Axe since he's benched.

VnLCgB0.png

And I gave Selena her sword since it has her name on it. (It's a decently nice sword, 7 MT, 90% Hit, and 10% crit, but it slows you by -3 Speed and dumpsters your dodge with a -5 penalty.)

I'll mostly use it when she's missing the ORKO and won't really care about getting smacked around on EP. It's not as accurate as her Bronze, but it's still plenty accurate.

Note that she doesn't have the weapon rank to use it yet, Selena's is a C-rank sword.

The Map:

Qaunbgt.png  tQwCCaI.png

Started Rinkah's room like this. Camilla's pair-up bonus is mostly for the +1 move, so I'd rather have her providing Rose's Thorns instead. It does mean I get less support points between the two of them, though. (I missed enough this map that Selena and Camilla didn't get their A-rank.)

Everyone who isn't highlighted is in range to attack Selena.

Like I've said in the planning portion, the Ninja goes last for some god damn reason.

3julzub.png

Counter-killing mooks is literally a Mercenary's job, so only the Ninja survived tapping Selena. I start turn 2 of Rinkah's like this.

Bronzes are pretty sweet if you're into 100% hit rates, but do keep in mind that they're pretty costly if you want them to be competitive in damage with Steel and Silver. (Their damage is never more than 1 MT behind Irons, so it's a matter of do you care more about the +10 dodge or being able to crit and use offensive skills if you're only picking between Iron and Bronze.) Bear in mind Bronze Axes are bugged and you won't get the 'extra' accuracy from being +5 or higher as a Bronze Weapon*, but that's such an edge case that you don't really need to worry about it.

*You'll still get the accuracy from forge levels, just not the extra accuracy that bronze weapons are supposed to get in place of crit, since +5 and higher forges give crit on other metals.

xtnT4K0.png

Nyx was hogging the stair-well and I don't care that much about exp efficiency---I still have a Paragon if I actually gave a shit---so I have her smack this guy death.

9y3LLQU.png

I'd get countered by Rinkah either way, but this way I get to set up my next attack.

QHRzQ5e.png

Rose's Thorns is pretty damn sweet. I still prefer Hinoka's since it's easier on positioning, but they're all top-tier so it doesn't matter.

ljoJb2v.png  ObWndYJ.png

Selena should be 8 hp lower right now if the Ninja wasn't stupid and attacked first rather than last. (The axe mooks also would've been alive at the start of turn, I believe, thanks to the Seal Speed.) She doesn't get a level out of the fight, but getting C rank is almost as good. (Swords get +1 Atk per rank, it's sweet.) You also want your weapon rank high for weapon triangle purposes, the WTA bonus is based on the advantaged unit.

2p4sa9Y.png

Doop.

Q5W3bbj.png  jwoe86J.png

Remember how the mage room didn't actually have that much stats? Jakob has 10 Res at base, 2 with his +2 passive. Corrin's S-ranked so the pair-up gives another point of Res. And remember that she has supportive for -2 damage.

XsL0wAD.png  Fv3vQz2.png

Got this Azura level while I was setting up. Hp is always nice, but I always just assume Azura would explode to everything.

CrYG450.png

This formation is complete and utter overkill, by the way. His Res got so high nobody actually bothered attacking. (He also casually dodged the first Hexing Rod use.)

mbd8cGI.png

Then again, he wasn't taking damage regardless... (I don't do this, by the way.)

yEu3Nxr.png

Jakob should be safe to wipe the room even with Hexing Rod on him, but I play it safe and retreat to the Stairs to fight the bow guy.

7qD4THb.png

I tend to randomly dance people when I'm just waiting for turns to pass like this, hence why Azura's going to be getting a bunch of levels this map.

AckVIDm.png  mUaNXg5.png

The archer survived the enemy phase, but Corrin can smack him without being in Hexing Rod range, so I have her take the kill. Note that he has Miracle, so the first hit being all the hp he has left does matter. (Unless you manage to take all his hp - 1 instead, I guess.)

p6gt6QG.png  ahi6j4P.png

Even with a Bronze Bow Niles is basically indestructible, so I send him in to counter-kill + bait more Hexing Rod uses. (If this was an endgame chapter with Staff Savant I wouldn't do this, I'd just have Jakob solo the room before killing Azama. But then, if this was an endgame chapter Jakob probably won't have the stats to do that.)

K72l5zU.png 6r8KGWb.png

Miraaaaaaaacles, note that the mage is alive at the end of turn. (This is why I take this room slowly rather than just bum rushing everyone in.)

I also mess up on getting Elise out, since Selena's hogging the other side of the stairs, but she has 15 Res at this point + Elise.jpg Speed so it doesn't matter. Thinking about it, letting Elise bait a Hexing Rod use would be better than having her end turn on the stair-well---she can stand next to Jakob for Gentilhomme if I were at all worried about her.

oP3lwaL.png  1Oc0zlD.png

Miracles.jpg

QwH9EwY.png

All 3 Hexing Rod uses are gone at this point, 2 used on Jakob, 1 on Niles, so I send Selena in to pick up some free exp.

wIyKk7L.png  penIIsZ.png

Which gets her this very defensive level.

yhyYooZ.png  Fw5O9Qb.png

Grabbed Enfeeble, which put Niles over 5, and I Convoy the Sidelong Yumi because honestly I don't even know why I bothered picking it up in the first place. It's a useful weapon, just not for someone like Niles.

2O4QQS7.png

Turn count's pretty low still, since the left side is the easier side.

DArwlom.png

Jakob would've died after the first hit if he attacked in melee range, I believe. The worst part is that the forecast will not tell you that, so you always have to be a bit careful attacking Azama with 1-2 range weapons.

CUWk22M.png

Murdering a 'defenseless' priest, level 12 or not, only got Selena like 20 exp. She's a level above him so it's probably because he's treated as a 'normal' level 12 unit rather than a 'boss' level 12 unit.

yO2PAhL.png  IccJk8v.png

The middle room is kind of a hassle if you don't have excellent bulk on both sides, so I give Camilla the Dual Club (so that she isn't facing WTD), and give her Effie for maximum physical bulk.

I then proceed to position Camilla with absolutely 0 regard for the fact that the Lunge assholes are about to camp the stairs. Oops.

f4acPBY.png  eweY4rK.png

Sigh....

I freeze the Ninja because I didn't know he was stupid enough to go last.

YQaccbl.png  jC32aCC.png

At least Elise got a staff rank out of it. Note that staff ranks give hit chance on offensive staves and +1 hp healed per level for healing staves. IRRC most staves have very low magic to healing conversions---Heal staff is 3 magic for 1 hp, I think---so staff ranks are pretty great.

C-rank is enough to use Enfeeble so I have Niles hand it over. Main problem with Enfeeble is that you can usually just have Elise kill the guy she's using it on, but it'll be nice for stuff like Vantage users or something, I guess.

0qZku2t.png

Pretty shaky hit rates, but Camilla needs to be Lunged twice before being in Shuriken range so this was safe even if she missed, I believe.

Even ignoring the fact that the idiot Ninja waited until everyone else attacked before attacking.

Pm2Re0I.png  IAwzPUE.png

*Fake celebration noises*

ffrD1GO.png

The other half of the L&D pair killed himself on enemy phase, leaving us with this at the start of turn. Note how Camilla is only barely below half despite the fact that she wasn't even full hp before all of this started. Time to start the exp pinata train.

6F3NPW4.png

I swapped Camilla's weapon to Steel before attacking. (Kind of wish I forged her a Bronze, lul.)

WGi3S51.png

Should've had Jakob do this, I think---dude has like a billion skill and weapon triangle advantage.

uNsGLne.png

Fruit Knife has 5% less hit than Iron Dagger. This matters all of jack all.

Hrr7FTv.png

I swapped to Dual Club before doing this. It's trivial to swap if you have your turn still, since changing main weapon is a free action---it's when your partner doesn't have a turn that you have to use trade shenanigans---usually that doesn't matter, but it's annoying if you're just feeling things out before choosing a combat order.

pW7KdPM.png  Xosulyv.png

The Samurai pair-up is a bit too far away from the rest of my team, so I use Lunge to get them closer.

QCKOZsM.png

Doop.

8auE9YL.png  oetFcYO.png

It's... a level. Niles is within +/- .5 of all his averages right now, except for hp, where he's a full point behind.

Usually you don't need to worry about his growths since they're good enough that he'll play basically the same for the whole game. Kaze has pretty good odds of stealing his job this run, but it'll be nice to be able to capture 4x Rally guy in Chapter 22 even if I don't intend to rely on him. (Like I said, too lazy to use rallies, although that guy has the advantage of not needing a bunch of setup to get all those rallies.)

4jFJtJQ.png

I attack with bread because bread fixes being hexed, right? (Nothing fixes being hexed.)

Danced Jakob for this, by the way.

hvA843K.png

Too lazy to march all the way around the map, so I'll do the Kaze and Setsuna rooms backwards. (I think they're a bit harder this way, but they're pretty easy regardless.)

gY62Kq3.png

First things first, get Camilla into fighting shape.

3qtWJRd.png  5hKGYxm.png

Without Poison Strike the Ninja room basically doesn't do anything. Even Beruka could handle it if you're willing to chug a bunch of Vulneraries.

EqrfNDX.png  9Zf90AP.png

Steel Axe is a melee weapon, so only the axe guy explodes after the Lunge train. I kill this guy since he's camping the stairs. (Note that Camilla takes 0 even after Shuriken Debuffs.)

nByhgBG.png

Even with a Beruka pair-up Selena doesn't have the Atk to OHKO, so I fish for some crits.

(Jakob could double the Ninjas to death, I believe, but he doesn't exactly need exp at this point.)

nbbjlwH.png  CwQ3g1O.png

Another round of the Lunge train later and we get this.

iNp1bCY.png  AmPbcP9.png

Doop. And always remember Kaze has Vantage before you do this with someone with low physical bulk.

02my7Jg.png

Practice Katana is so nice.

E57MRIw.png

Note about Spirit Dust---and all stat items, really. Do remember that it sells for 4k, which is a lot. Even if you're using magical units you should double check if it's more cost effective to spend 4k on forges before you chug this.

(I rarely have cash-flow problems, so I tend to hoard stat boosters until near the end game, when I can see exactly how much stats a unit would need to grab ORKOs or whatever, and I distribute them accordingly. Before that I tend to fix things with forges or just dropping low-rollers entirely.)

MjMtqWP.png  VPsoAYu.png

This is such an ass backwards way to do this.

Note that Effie is standing on stairs right now, meaning Natural Cover is kicking in. She doesn't really need the Guard Naginata to tank this room. (I gave her the Corrin pair-up because they were C-ranked, so Supportive is kicking in right now.)

Normally you'd just control enemy phase combats by the simple act of not standing in range of everyone at once, since you're going through the front door.

M28JLwK.png

Counter is still a thing on everyone other than Setsuna, and as you can see Effie doesn't have the damage to OHKO. So she'll only be thinning things out for a bit before everyone else comes marching in.

CNCavqC.png

She'd still be alive without the Guard Naginata, but I think she'd need to pop over to the other side of the stairs and get healed before doing this.

fHSnp3p.png  bNj9Zj3.png

Killing Setsuna gets Effie this non-speed level, meaning she's on the road to being benched.

She's only .3 behind her Speed averages at this point, but she needs to high-roll her speed growths for me to keep her, considering I'm going to have a ton of guys with high Atk once L&D and Swordfaire gets rolling.

QMMc7rD.png

The 5 damage is because Effie stepped off the stairs, meaning no more -3 damage buff.

She doesn't have OHKOs on anyone else, so this'll be her last turn alone in the room.

0AK8JBe.png

You take the counter damage even if your Attack Stance would deal enough damage to KO, so watch out for that.

qLjmlZK.png

Doop.

mrATCpx.png

Doop. (Be very careful when attacking if you have less hp than the guys in this room. 1 more Str and Beruka's dead.)

F8YJIL3.png

And doop.

1c3EHcH.png  fHishJh.png

Corrin's 2.8 behind in hp, .1 behind in Str, 2.55 behind in Mag, 2.15 behind in Skill, .15 behind in Speed, .55 behind in Luck, while being .5 ahead in Def and 1.1 ahead in Res.

So she's basically behind in everything, since the hp thing nullifies her extra bulk. This speaks more about her averages than anything else. You have to be hilariously low-rolling for her to become bad. That said, she's actually still pretty close to her averages right now, even if technically 'behind in everything.' Her Strength boon also means that it's trivial for her to get stellar offenses once I swap her to Samurai, so I doubt she'll be turning out badly.

QnZVCXl.png

Left side took a while since I spent a few turns chipping each room down with one person.

6nooSeJ.png  LgwTKRP.png

'Yay,' or something.

WM9S6EQ.png

I try to have my team like this on the march from here to the boss room, letting Azura's personal heal them all back up. It ended up not mattering for anyone other than Selena.

khUJYUr.png  xrZFfE0.png

There's no rush or anything, so I take my time grabbing the free exp from Hinoka's attendants.

QcoogGd.png  sKURK06.png

I spent a lot of turns getting up here, so Azura got enough exp to get another level from all the dancing she's been doing. And it even has hp. (She's actually out of OHKO range now, I think, so I'm legit happy about this. Most maps will still have a bunch of mooks that can OHKO her---25 physical bulk after Naginata is peanuts---but at least it's only 'most' rather than literally everyone on the map.)

n7s4DE6.png

Fruit Knife is great.

zTLEkol.png

Doop.

weetV3o.png  IhrCoAW.png

To be perfectly honest, I'm basically playing with 3 units that chugged bp/vp & path reward stat boosters at this point.

Jesus, team.

It's pretty normal to have high-rolling units on your main team since the low-rolling ones get dropped and the high-rolling ones are more likely to be kept, but this run was weird because I was going to use Jakob and Odin no matter what, so the pick and choose thing doesn't really come into play.

Okev3x2.png

Double checking Hinoka's damage so I don't get Selena's face plastered on EP. I forgot Hinoka's using Steel so I thought Selena was going to get doubled, so I was doubling this 5 to a 10.

PhzCno8.png

12 + 10 is only 24, which is easily survivable, so I send Selena in to farm the back line.

doxHlvs.png  7xELNEl.png

Run out, get healed, get danced, and I swap Camilla into the pair-up as well to get some support points. They didn't fight enough this map to get A-rank with each other, but they aren't in a rush to class change.

7CECPEd.png  Ysmd7ri.png

Elise gets another one of her 15 or so Elise.jpg levels from healing.

ADDFN54.png  Zh0dLJY.png

And Selena gets this fairly odd level. Usually her speed skyrockets. It's pretty weird that her stats are ending up so close to each other---part of this is because I didn't feed her a Speedwing, though.

Nothing wrong with Str, though I'd prefer Def or Res over Luck or Skill.

e2Evm5p.png

And once more, with feeling. (Note the Beruka pair-up. Beruka is 3 Str, 3 Def, which Selena needed for this OHKO.)

c1rneet.png

Healers give pretty terrible exp, but it's still weapon exp, so yay?

bjdzdYa.png

A turn later and I end up feeding Hinoka to Odin.

(If you're really serious about farming exp on this map it's probably better to leave the healer alive and just trade hits with Hinoka until the exp penalty kicks in.)

zA4c4Em.png

Epilogue:

Vcz4PWl.png  5oUb69c.png

Welcome back, Kaze. The left side is his stats on our team, and the right side is his boss stats. Main issue is that his boss stats is actually 2 levels lower, meaning the comparison is actually worse than it looks. Really wish he got to keep that amazing 31 hp.

qrahzAV.png

He had enough support points from the prologue maps for a C-rank with Corrin.

nNlAFyT.png  NxLHe3e.png

Azura danced Niles and Jakob enough at this point for a pair of supports.

WPT1mLK.png  xbgNbnR.png

Effie-Odin goes to B, and Beruka-Selena goes to C.

Chapter 12:

Reset Count: 5

I forgot to go to the kitchen before the map started, and only noticed two turns in. So I reset the chapter and made some food.

Pre-map Planning:

Q6gWyr4.png

6BtGp5O.png  tXp1stC.png

This is probably the first map where I didn't follow my original plan at all, on account of the fact that my original plan didn't involve Jakob getting 3 billion stats from pots. Which brings me to why I dislike this map:

Yes, you know which pots are good and which pots are bad, but knowing exactly which pot was which would save you so many turns it's not even funny, and you can't know unless you look it up in a guide or played the map before, which is just... rude. It'd be fine if the map didn't have a turn limit, since you can take your time and slow roll while grabbing all the pots, but I guess they thought the map was too easy for a Conquest map that way and added some fake difficulty with the turn limit + incomplete information combo. I still like this better than reinforcement maps, though, since at least you know where the pots are from the start of the map, and you can plan to make sure your combat units hit as many good pots as possible to hope for good buffs even if you didn't know where the 'right' pots were, while also using disposables to break 'bad' pots.

KCjyaNh.png  pDNPqqi.png

His speed is surprisingly low---we're already used to dealing with ~22 speed on initiation from Hinoka's Darting Blow---but everything else about his offenses and defenses is pretty scary. 36 Atk isn't really feasible to ignore this early, and 16% crit means that you'll be staring down positive crit odds even while paired-up unless you're lucky as hell.

That said, the map has a ton of stat boosting pots, so if you know where the right ones are his stats aren't high enough to matter.

Bpe34zp.png

UTS1SQU.png  vPvMJiY.png

Ninja pair-up that really hates armors, between the Flame Shuriken and Sting---both of them have decent speed and Atk, but for some reason there's 2 +4 defense pots right next to the start of the map, so they don't really do enough damage to matter.

ytcSNOB.png

If you know about the Entrap it's a way to save having to ferry a Locktouch guy and either dancing that guy or Sheltering him (the archers on this map hurt), but if RNJesus doesn't smile you'll have to join with the main team---this isn't the endgame 200% hit Entrap, so it's quite possible both Entraps would miss.

8npfYct.png  yArt1BO.png

This is 37 Atk for the first combat, with hilarious bulk. Do not fuck with archers on this map if you aren't a pile of stats.

HyIX9cU.png  IbE21HX.png

There's a gold bar archer and a door key archer on each side, the Door Key guy has Lunge instead of Spendthrift. What's majorly annoying is that all the pots surrounding the middle of the map are poison pots, so you'll be taking a penalty to join back up with the team, and possibly a hefty one like Hex.

UykOxtk.png  rvkoN6i.png

These guys had this, so I guessed that the two medicine pots above them had good buffs. (The only one I broke had healing only, don't know about the other one.)

Fb2BaoX.png  JNmqy0i.png

7oDt7qP.png  RCiDHbt.png

jsMMzxW.png  Obtthke.png

For some reason only the archers have decent stats on this map. Considering you'll be pretty likely to be sitting on a pile of stats the non-archer mooks are pretty trivial. The lancers in the middle of the map do have Seal Defense, though.

My original plan was to divide the team into two halves, one with Kaze, Nyx, Camilla, and Selena, who'll take care of the right side. This turned out to be stupid, because as I noticed once I went into the map, you can't actually open the door on the right side without getting shot---you need either a dance or a shelter to avoid that. That said, the main crux of the plan still works, thanks to the Entrap staff letting you just teleport in. (Occasionally you'll just RNG into dodging the entrap, and that's why I planned on bringing Kaze, but he was so owned by the 37 Atk archers it's not even funny, so if the teleport thing failed I would've just joined up with my main team.)

The other half was supposed to go through the left side by opening the door and then death-balling their way to Ryoma before going down to the middle of the map to farm some exp.

Yeah, I didn't end up using that plan. Jakob ended up getting so much stats from pots that he was fully capable of soloing the map, so I just went straight down the middle while everyone else sat behind him. The only reason I didn't rout the map was because Effie ran out of Vulneraries while farming mooks for exp, meaning I had to start on finishing Ryoma. (And then Jakob murdered him before I got my next player phase.)

A4DxqQH.png

As you can see, Elise is forcibly benched---which makes the lineup pretty simple, I just drop Silas, Arthur, and Mozu again, but it does affect my resource distribution.

My Castle Stuff:

84P7nhM.png  VKFy3wA.png

Jakob got the Luck and Res. Effie got the Def and Res.

bSKEAk6.png  VFHAC4j.png

Another high-roll on the kitchen, although I should note that I forgot all about the kitchen before starting the map the first time.

vHMDMns.png

3ANDUlY.png  djQ2uMv.png

A free Def tonic on a bunch of relevant targets is pretty crazy.

Resource Distribution:

enTISuk.png  08Q2Ruy.png

As you can see, Adventurer is terrifying as a class if all you care about is heals and magical offense. Nyx kept all of her Mag from Dark Knight and gained 5 Speed, meaning the only thing keeping her from having typical Nyx offenses again is getting enough Bow Rank to use the Shining Bow---which is a very real problem, Shining Bow is C-rank. I have plenty of time before I actually need her offenses again, though.

Main downside is that she doesn't have horse mobility like this, but the +1 Move skill after she gets 2 levels will fix that somewhat.

I like having 2 healers on the team, since it lets me split the team into two easily, so Elise being benched makes this a good time for me to make another healer. (It also means that Jakob is free to class change once Elise rejoins.)

YVb4pc4.png

Nyx's old kit makes no sense at this point, so I steal Elise's Heal staff and Niles' Bronze Bow. Also note the candy cane I picked up from the ground.

brbThgh.png

Found this free Vulnerary scroll while looking through my tomes, so I swap Moonlight for it. (It's a bp/vp item.) Also note that Camilla got her Raider Axe back---she traded it for Dual Club last map.

U3KvqbR.png

I give Beruka's Axe to Beruka. It's basically impossible to fight through -20 Dodge without a S-rank Xander or Keaton support (they give like 15 or 20 dodge if you're in Attack Stance, it's crazy), so it's best on people like Beruka who have tons of Def. Never end up swinging it because the accuracy's pretty damn bad, though. Also stole the Bronze Axe from Arthur since he's benched and it's a nice chunk of dodge and hit.

GpTo38M.png

Lots of lances on the right side, where the Selena, Camilla, Nyx trio will end up going through, so I give her the Dual Katana.

zIkxw7I.png  Koqg7IZ.png

Kaze gets his Needle since it has his name on it. It's kind of annoying for him to use it right now because his Str is pretty low, but it debuffs Seed, Def, and Res for four, meaning it's an 8 point speed swing.

The Map:

wQK1y1O.png

Selena and Camilla starts off the map by going left---this was a Mag pot.

qMJhoAy.png

I'm positioning to take advantage of Medicine pots on my main units if reasonably practical, but as you can see I'm not using up turns to force it.

This ends up being a Def pot.

XYcuxBe.png  gz8HHZj.png

Turn 1 ends like this. Nyx is in range of the Ninja to get some bow exp. (She actually gets combat exp, thanks to being -5 in internal levels, just like Camilla.)

Her Def is so terrible that she can only tank one hit for free, though, and I'm not going to heal her just for weapon exp.

9ReZaTj.png

This ends up being just a healing pot.

y93kFAj.png

Kind of wanted to move Nyx 1 square and then Hand Axe this guy to give her more weapon exp, but the KO was pretty shaky already. (Not that Beruka would care even if the Ninja lived---he'd get counter-killed on EP since he's trapped right now.)

mGjBMiN.png  7JnAqVa.png

She's 3/3 for speed levels right now. Yeah, Effie is benched so hard it's not even funny.

ZU87GbH.png

The pot ends up being an Str & Def Tonic pot, so Beruka's pretty happy.

OuOCApI.png

This one, on the other hand, was just healing.

WLxN3HB.png

He misses both shots. Basically Niles in a nut-shell, he'll double pretty much everything on the map, but that doesn't mean he'll hit them.

qveoAkn.png  FM9Bt4I.png

This is pretty much Jakob the entire map, by the way. Things tend to disappear when he does things. (He crit-killed that Samurai.)

P3lde7U.png  Ez7fZAM.png

Here's the shelter trick if anyone didn't know about it already. You dance someone (Niles), and then a level 10+ cavalier uses Shelter on you, which lets someone else walk up to that cavalier and trade for Azura, letting you switch into Azura and then use dance again. Very useful if you're using the level 10 skill to buff people, if you need to trade turns for raw mobility on a few key units, or if you really wanted one person to get a bunch of kills.

It costs 2 turns per extra dance, and you need to be careful with positioning, but it's pretty damn strong.

9cRKtj2.png

I dance Peri to have her separate Odin and Niles, turning the ~50% hit rate into 100%. (Odin is a freak of nature.)

Mind that part of this is also because Azura's dance gave Niles a bunch of stats.

I7nzTAZ.png

Odin gets C rank from the combat, confirming that Attack Stance hits give weapon exp. (I didn't really doubt it, but it's nice to have confirmation.)

YnzQl4V.png

This ends up being... Defense again, I believe. Which both Corrin and Jakob already had.

gDIp6Ii.png  pvFjvIX.png

Turn 2 ends like this. You can see how Nyx and Kaze are planning to follow Selena and Camilla before I realize that plan was pretty stupid.

RggFnh3.png  HWl4V4N.png

Damage pot, thankfully. Camilla doesn't really care about non-archer mooks even while Hexed, but I'd much rather lose 9 hp temporarily than 15 permanently. Selena slides right next to her to murder mooks.

ihS19Lv.png

Another healing pot, I believe.

aPDilTl.png  Zqpt6N9.png

I realize Jakob has a stupid amount of stats at this point (he has the 2 Def & 1 Str from the food he ate earlier, on top of Corrin's huge pair-up bonuses), so I dance him to start murdering the Ninjas.

7DJtO8I.png  AgiKOOr.png

Everyone's getting good levels this map. Azura's bulk won't really matter next map, though, since the most mobile units on the map have like 10 more Atk than needed to OHKO her.

LEuoxzC.png

Yeah... don't expect to see this picture often. I'm usually too lazy to use rallies. I'd much rather get Inspiration on Felicia or Jakob, which is basically +2 Str/+2 Mag/+2 Def/+2 Res. Jakob has a far more annoying time getting it, though, since he needs two levels in Strategist when he's at least level 13, and his magical offenses are only the 'barely there' variety.

4uZmQ7I.png

This picture is when I realize I can just have Jakob march down the middle, 37 Atk archers or not.

rQK2CfO.png  h3yxx3G.png

Everyone except Camilla, Selena, and Nyx is going through the middle at this point, since Jakob is going to carry my ass.

bhU7Pbn.png

Note that I'm very carefully not standing on the stairs---I don't know if the ground evasion decreases staff hit-chance, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also note that anyone opening the door would get shot. Wasn't paying attention when I looked at the map during prep.

lrMeRXK.png

I don't remember what this was, but I know it wasn't a healing pot.

YqRyrSu.png

Saizo's personal skill got him down to 1 hp after Jakob chunked him on EP, so I have Kaze finish things with his needle for the completely over-kill speed on Jakob.

BvgTIP2.png  Mc3jhCx.png

This might be a Samurai abuse run, but that doesn't mean having Samurai means you're an auto-include. -_-

(Between Niles, Nyx, and Jakob our team's already pretty filled with mage-killers with utility.)

Even testing Samurai on high-rolling units is pretty useful, since I'd know for future reference how much stat boosters they'd want.

WCGdtc3.png

Kagero has Shuriken mastery so she actually does 16 damage. The Stale Bread negates her Grisly Wound post-combat damage, though.

A28WodN.png  tZCpAUl.png

Jakob's Shield Guage was full, so Vantage wasn't a problem. (Also note how the portrait was smart enough to realize Vantage was on. Wish it'd do that for Counter as well.)

ocuwgSx.png  MA8iFIK.png

I dance Jakob again and find out the Ninjas are doing 0 to him after debuffs. Should've used bread to heal, though.

pfY4gGB.png  GNiAHoZ.png

Very good pace, and very easy strategy, since ultra-blessed Jakob is just steam-rolling everything.

TPkAe1d.png

We're inside, and I separate Selena and Camilla. I make Camilla hold the Dual Club so that Selena gets the combat exp.

YppoUBd.png

Doop.

kAcLqwa.png

This was a healing pot.

dLNxiaO.png

I'm not a fan of not ORKOing people, but even Jakob is having issues ORKOing, so I don't mind that much.

9aNtUcy.png

Doop.

TP7w6TX.png

Def & Res Tonics, Jakob is so stacked in stats right now.

7UDIySy.png

Bunch of Samurai trying to march to us from the left, so I have Jakob hold the choke-point. (He takes 1 damage from them, by the way...yeah, all of them died on EP.)

K2xi6Dz.png  cbw5U9v.png

He's getting pretty average Jakob levels now, which is kind of disappointing.

aELs6PN.png

Tomebreaker's great, though. Means that his low Res in non-Butler classes will only be a rare issue. (Magical Swords and whatnot still hit him, of course, but Tomes are the vast majority of magical damage, like you'd expect---Jakob cares a lot more about Tomebreaker than Felicia, so it's nice that he got this before changing out of Butler.)

DJM8bi0.png

Beruka can't die no matter what, so I just do this for some free combat exp.

oTXDt42.png  CuaEsOn.png

Reinforcements are coming in at this point, but it'll be pretty easy to just walk Nyx left until she's safe even if she dodges the Entrap. (I'll be honest, the only thing I think when I see reinforcements on this map is 'Oh, hey, more exp.')

hivH3lW.png  Ss3tamJ.png

Killed both sides of the Samurai pair-up since I didn't want Nyx getting smacked after teleporting. Note that I walked Selena down and left so that Nyx teleports into guaranteed safety rather than possibly to the left of the Priestess and then getting Ninja'd to death.

HoPlEBf.png  PfgwEF7.png

Not bad levels, but Selena's 0/3 for speed at this point. *Shrug*

zGh25SV.png

Nyx prepares to get teleported.

9ks51cl.png

Fighting over here rather than hand-axing so that Beruka can fight some lancers on EP. (Which both gets her exp and makes it easy to Nyx to walk left if the teleport fails.) Bronze Axe is for accuracy and because I'm too lazy to check the lancers' crit % again.

u9q0Bwa.png

Don't have a map this time, unfortunately. But note that Effie and Odin are sent to deal with the archers. (Effie had so much defense stacked that she doesn't need a defense pair-up, so I sent Odin. Wish I gave her another Vulnerary, though.)

Also note that Jakob is in range to get Lunged into the middle of the map. It'll be pretty costly in terms of hp to go in that way, but he has the stats to handle it.

ItD4kZi.png

Doop.

1avWars.png  PxzlisX.png

4/4 Speed. Someone really wants to make the team. (She's already guaranteed a spot, by the way.)

Wonder if she's stealing them from Selena.

cbYabUj.png

Honestly the Steel Sword is probably the best of the generic Swords for Laslow---he's just too slow to double people anyway, but he does tend to have enough speed not to get doubled himself, and Steel Sword doesn't make that bit any worse. Really hard to justify running him when I have 3 good swords in Corrin, Odin, and Selena, though.

He does have Ninja if you want a Ninja with high Str and middling speed, though. If his Speed growths pull through then he'll be pretty damn sweet, but bear in mind he only has 50% after Ninja's 20% growth and that Mercenary is a pretty fast class already, meaning he only gets +2 Speed from class changing.

Ksotum9.png

Nyx's Atk is so bad that she's getting 2 combats worth of weapon exp from this priestess. Good thing Bronze Bows have 6 MT, so it'll be pretty easy to forge them to the point where she ORKOs fliers despite basically negative Str. 8k for +4 is pretty affordable, anyway.

Also note that Camilla got Hexed from breaking the Poison pot separating this half of the room from the Chest half. (Both Ninjas go for Selena.)

2zJw8bk.png  e9zuWTY.png

Jakob took a pretty big beating from the +10 Spendthrift combat, but in retrospect the Concoction was an overreaction. (It was fine to just heal up from the Fruit Knife.)

F4Cflgd.png  bUkNwp5.png

Especially since Niles is about to murder this fool.

Wa0smIg.png 

Got a great level for it, too.

The Spendthrift combat's over, so it's fine to leave him in range of the archer like this. This is also when I decide I could just break a pot, take the random penalty, and move the rest of my team through.

ZWy2ki2.png  OrcaOQh.png

Effie actually has so much Defense that with Natural Cover even the steel bows are hitting for 0, so I'm not worried just leaving her alone. Once she runs out of Vulneraries I'll just put her on a forest or stair tile.

RwvSjmK.png

I also missed this Freeze staff on my pre-map planning, meaning Jakob got frozen solid. Nothing I can't deal with by swapping to Corrin and then dancing her, but it's decently annoying for the 3 turns she does this.

jHvCsy8.png  Ieipwk3.png

Healed Selena with a Candy Cane before having her attack the other Ninja. Had to pair-up Camilla to be able to make sure Nyx is safe, so I don't get the ORKO.

UT4FwBn.png  7z01CSE.png

I was being lazy about combat math and chugged the first 2 Vulneraries way too early, which contributed to the whole 'run out of Vulneraries' thing.

ZLdWrwR.png

Beruka kills the Lancer that's been hanging around for quite a while, now.

GRRWPQ2.png

This ended up being a silence, which nobody on the left side actually cares about. (Not even Jakob, since he isn't healing anyone anyway.)

BoetfV1.png

And Kaze being here means that it's a nice KO without having to tank a counter.

BtlzI6c.png

This was Skill.

yCJL36X.png

Not sure what this was, probably a healing pot.

DD3mQal.png  CY3I1c9.png

Already knocking on Ryoma's door, so I'm not really pressured by the turn count.

1AwHONn.png  8hmskl3.png

Odin gets this level from doing Dual Guards on EP, pretty average, if it didn't have Def I'd be a little unhappy, but it did.

vx6HCj5.png  N72uBS6.png

This is pretty much why I like having healers around. It's pretty easy to keep them safe and they save a combat unit's turn that they would've spent chugging healing items. (And late-game the best healers tend to be able to kill people, meaning if you're under pressure you can skip healing for a turn to help out in combat, and then heal up between waves.)

acZriJi.png

Lots of defenseless priests on this map. This one used to have a Silence but she wasted it all on Jakob, who didn't care.

QTKczzd.png  hSXPyJj.png

Very nice levels this map. Pity it's Wyverns with armor pair-ups next map, meaning she's so, so dead if anyone gets near her.

Dl9RDvS.png  PmvtOoQ.png

This guy has a Kodachi, meaning Jakob is basically Ryoma once he gets Swordfaire and L&D. He doesn't double, but he also doesn't need to.

Then again, Jakob is pretty much already being Ryoma right now. (God he's blessed.)

8br6b6Q.png

Killed this guy and then Sheltered Niles to safety. (Didn't really need to do that, though, since he was safe for the enemy phase combat.)

wK8aVHS.png  0oyzbU4.png

Basically 'wasted' 7 hp worth of healing from chugging the first two Vulneraries early, which was unfortunate.

aoRF9t9.png  XCQmuvS.png

It's pretty easy to wipe the entire map at this point, but I end up rushing things and leaving a bunch of mooks alive.

wwBDKai.png  1WPY5Yp.png

Effie got this nice, Speedy level from enemy phase. (Really wish she got a point of Def, though, since that would've meant only the Steels mattered, meaning me wasting that 7 hp earlier wouldn't have mattered.)

If she gets Speed every level from now on she'll still have a spot on the team, but we'll see if she even has the deployment slots to get that chance.

mBcuLYz.png  A176b78.png

I heal her up first thing, making a note to start working on Ryoma once she gets to critical.

TxWXAIK.png

Doop.

ROWP2hD.png

Weapon Exp, yay.

zHaEx9G.png  DVvst8i.png

Jakob completely failed to dodge every single Freeze staff, so I had to Corrin dance to move him again. Ryoma's out of mooks to hide behind, now.

VqxSQwC.png

Yeah this was a healing pot. Honestly expected it be some pretty crazy stats because of the skill on the archers trapped inside.

W2G9BZ2.png

And I make sure the guy stays trapped by flying Beruka in there.

tntEc32.png  3VyknS6.png

The reinforcements are nicely choked, Effie will probably have to run to the stairs in a turn or two, but I'll get the most important things next turn.

dmu1q8L.png

This ends up being a Freeze that lasts forever and a half.

6mUXdfR.png

Good thing I positioned Jakob out of range of that, so he's free to move in and murder this mook.

3XelHqP.png

Atk & Res debuff. (Not sure why Res debuffs are on the map at all, only the staff users care about it, and even they don't care all that much.)

uNALcj7.png

Effie has one last enemy phase unless she kills enough people to get a point of Def. (She doesn't.)

7BYphWY.png

Doop.

iJtu9Dd.png  j1PS7Mk.png

Niles grabs the Armorslayer, Kaze grabs the 5000G. I move in with Jakob vs. Ryoma at this point, playing it safe so that I can forcibly end the map if the archer reinforcements prove too tough to deal with after Effie lets them through.

vsuk3QK.png

Do not fuck with Jakob.

BB7NlEd.png  Cg1ThlW.png

So, so blessed.

That said, his speed is slowly approaching normal again. (He does have 50% speed growths, so if he doesn't keep getting them he'll become ordinary again.) He's also .75 behind in Str.

Note that Ryoma is almost dead---Jakob rolled a critical.

yVCvln4.png  xAOyJnC.png

Playing it safe with Effie, she takes 0 damage on stairs. If she had 4 more hp she'd be guaranteed to survive another enemy phase, so you can see the Vulnerary in-efficiency costing me now---I wouldn't have moved Jakob in this early if she had another turn.

L5pwIN3.png

Getting some last bits of combat exp.

PTqkYFr.png  xChlDsl.png

100 Avoid on Initiation didn't save Ryoma at all, so the map ended this enemy phase. Missed 12 whole mooks worth of exp, which was pretty disappointing---but then again, most of those would've gone to Effie, and she's very likely benched.

DgSMCNZ.png

Epilogue:

jZ2vFPJ.png  TLGfWTk.png

A+ both Selena and Camilla. A+ doesn't affect support or pair-up bonuses, IRRC, it's just for Friend Seal usage.

y7XEgBU.png  af2sGBA.png

Beruka-Kaze goes to C, and Odin-Niles to B.

If Beruka keeps getting speed like this she'll definitely care about a speed pair-up, so we'll see where this leads. (Kaze loves being paired with Beruka since she gives 3 Str, 3 Def from Wyvern.) Her support rank pair-up bonuses are Def, Skill, and Luck, though, meaning he needs to high-roll Atk to hurt things properly.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, DehNutCase said:

Selena also likes using Sol and Good Fortune to save a fight's worth of healing every once in a while.

Frankly, I don't see the hype for Sol or Good Fortune; neither of them is very reliable, especially the latter, which is a poor man's Renewal that won't work that often.

Did a similar strategy last night on this map. I'm redoing my Hoshidan Conquest run so I'm doing it on Hard. Basara Jakob, Swordmaster Odin and Kinshi Selena steamroll this map. I completely ignored the reinforcements and the middle though I also left Ryoma alive.

Pretty easy map compared to previous runs.

Yeah. (I remembered it being very easy as well, from my past playthroughs.)

I don't usually play like I am right now---I tend to be pretty willing to reload Chapters to get 100% resource efficiency for healing item usages, exp from combat, and whatnot---but that's not really the kind of style that makes for good reading.

Like, if I were just playing I'd probably spend a reset or two scouting out pots and figuring out how much healing items I'd need on everyone. And I think Conquest kind of expects you to do this---there's a god damn stupid amount of things you can't figure out just by looking at the map, like how the friendly AI unit behave, how enemy units tend to use staves*, etc.

*Staff Savant Iago and 4 staves, for example---I'll be honest, first time I saw that map on Lunatic I went 'fuck this bullshit' and dropped the difficulty without even trying the map first---I thought he'd always pick the most annoying option rather than just going through the staves in order, turning the map into Red-light Green-light.

Edit: The red-light green-light thing is damn cool level design, mind, but they need to tell you about it for it to not look like bullshit.

Turned out not scouting on this map didn't make much of a difference. The most efficient path happened to get you most of the relevant stat pots even if you didn't know where they were before you went in.

Edited by DehNutCase

My favorite thing about Conquest is all the different ways you can play the game.

Like I said, I'm doing a Hoshidan units run. This means Heart Seals for the Awakening kids and Corrin; Friendship and Partner Seals for the Royals, Silas, Niles and Effie; using Midori and Shigure and things like that. It's surprising how effective these classes can be in this path. 

6 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Like, if I were just playing I'd probably spend a reset or two scouting out pots and figuring out how much healing items I'd need on everyone. And I think Conquest kind of expects you to do this---there's a god damn stupid amount of things you can't figure out just by looking at the map, like how the friendly AI unit behave, how enemy units tend to use staves*, etc.

*Staff Savant Iago and 4 staves, for example---I'll be honest, first time I saw that map on Lunatic I went 'fuck this bullshit' and dropped the difficulty without even trying the map first---I thought he'd always pick the most annoying option rather than just going through the staves in order, turning the map into Red-light Green-light.

Edit: The red-light green-light thing is damn cool level design, mind, but they need to tell you about it for it to not look like bullshit.

Speaking of, does the same AI Iago operates under regarding staff use in that chapter apply to the generic Maids with at least two of Freeze, Silence, Enfeeble, and the Hexing Rod?

That wouldn't be hard. A little "hohoho... hehehe... Which curse shall I torment them with? This one is strong, but oh, that one is downright nasty. Perhaps I should try them all, one after the other." a villain self-praising snippet that tells the player loosely how they play.

Chapter 13:

zB1UzsW.png

This map has the kind of time-crunch that I like---although if you didn't know about it it's kind of a beating---rather than shoving you with a hard time limit they spawn a thief that'll slowly amble to the villages to steal things, giving you not only a good heads up, but also options to slow him down with stuff like Freeze if you need to buy time. (I don't remember if you can do the whole kill him for 1 thing he stole thing like a lot of other fire emblem thieves---I usually get to him before the first village.)

Objectives: 5000g, Arms Scroll, Master Seal, Blessed Lance. All of these are taken care of by just smacking the thief around before he can get to any villages.

V7HNsnP.png  ZZayDZs.png

The pack of mages to the left have 22 Atk max, and about 50% or so have Malefic Aura.

DQxc9qJ.png  fqp8qS9.png

The pack of Knights to the left have 1 Javelin guy and 2 Steel Lance guys. The Steel Lance guys have 28 Atk, and one of them has Def +2.

kIB4hdG.png

Note the armor's Natural Cover, he's exactly in range to step on this Gate. We have 3 gates on the map, one in the middle where Benny & Charlotte spawns, and another one mirroring this one at the mage wave. They're in really neat locations since you can stand on them without aggroing the boss waves of that side.

I2sNCX5.png  98ChX17.png

Orochi's pack has the same mages as the rest of the map (~22 Atk, Malefic Aura), and she has a very ordinary Cavalier to mess up pure mage-killers with only Res.

ImehVkl.png

She has a Calamity Gate, 20 Mag, Elbow Room, and Seal Res. Which is 20 + 7 + 3 + 6 = 36 damage after the first combat, and 30 for the first.

She also has 11% crit, although that's hard to see.

Rq6lXCd.png  WzxMPde.png

Reina has Air Superiority and Certain Blow. This means she OHKOs Camilla with around 100% accuracy, if you were wondering. (I occasionally see people telling you to fight her with Camilla, and I always wonder how they're dealing with the whole 50% hit odds because of Air Superiority + getting ORKOd back combo.)

The Steel Yumi has 12 MT, so that's 36 versus air units, and she has 18 Str.

kUP90nb.png  98ChX17.png

Her Cavalier mooks are pretty ordinary, 26 Atk all around with the occasional Elbow Room and Beast Killer.

XBZDFEU.png  wvhRoMo.png

Bow Jesus is the real end boss of the map, by the way. The pass doesn't really matter since he has ORKOs on your entire team (he doesn't need to walk through people, he can just ORKO the first guy he sees), and the Natural Cover is kind of hilarious if you didn't pay attention while baiting him. (I didn't, so I ended up fighting through an extra 4 def/res.)

19% Crit means that even with a Bronze Weapon and a Pair-up you'd still need 8 Luck to see 0% crit, and 34 Atk pretty much guarantees that you're dead if he crits you. If all you have is a pair-up you'd need 28 Luck, so have fun with that.

He's Bow Jesus, so he walks on water. Don't fight him on the bridge.

9KKSSDk.png

The mage in his entourage is the run of the mill ~24 Atk (after Malefic) mage, but IRRC he has 2 Javelin Knights and 1 Spear Knight, occasionally with +2 Def.

H1hUxOS.png  zjIK8ln.png

These guys start aggro'd, and they have 2HKOs on your entire team and 1HKOs on like 50% of them. You might not think so, seeing how they have 24 Atk.

Jean3Us.png

They have 31 Atk. (Remember that Wyvern gives +3 Str, +3 Def in a pair-up.)

mk2wHiI.png  JYazjFB.png

The pair-up has 1-2 range in the mage and, oddly enough, 2 range only in the Wyvern Rider.

xtuzSUT.png

This guy happens to have Quick Draw but honestly it doesn't matter, it's still only 30 Atk.

lfxnk2I.png

Scarlet herself doesn't matter at all, she has Death Blow, Seal Magic, and Bow-breaker, so you can kind of see where they're going with her, but her team can be lured without being in attack range of her, meaning it's trivial to just kill her before she gets to KO you with a crit.* (Seal Magic does jack all if every single mage ORKOs you anyway---you only need 23 Atk on the magical side to 2HKO her, and tomes have WTA against her. Even with Seal Magic you'd only need 26 Atk if you were somehow too slow to double her.)

*Technically the same thing is true of Takumi. You can, in fact, lure his team without being in range of him... if you wanted to fight Bow Jesus on the bridge.

There's also a bunch of mooks that spawn after you aggro Scarlet, but they're trivial unless your team is hilariously separated.

We have Tome-breaker Jakob, a thief to catch, and no particular reason to make life hard on ourselves, so the plan is to fight off the Armors on the right side with a minimum of resources, use our Flying Mage (Camilla) to intercept some of the 31 Atk flying asshats, and deathball our way left then down to catch the thief before taking the remaining waves 1 by 1.

bngTpsr.png

We drop Effie and Kaze, who are 2nd stringers at this point. They're both a tad above average, I believe, but the main team is just straight up better. Minor note about Peri, I like her, but I'd like her more if she joined a chapter or two earlier. Lunatic exp penalty doesn't really kick in if you're under-leveled, so it's pretty easy to train her up to snuff, but I pretty much only give her a chance if everyone I tried out ended up being low-rollers.

(Like, if Odin, Niles, and Beruka failed me, then I probably would've fed her a few levels in Chapter 12 to see if she high-rolls.)

My Castle Stuff:

NRLvJ9g.png  84nyeap.png

Things got topsy-turvy for this round. We high-rolled a Fire for our lottery ticket but got a pretty low-roll on the kitchen.

yvuWwGg.png

qS3uZHm.png  nE4rLBY.png

A 'Fan of Nohrian' food just means you're in a Nohrian class, I believe. So people like Azura, Kaze, etc. wouldn't get the buff. It's also only +1 skill, so pretty mediocre even without the restrictiveness.

Resource Distribution:

GB0U7iu.png  9MBheg5.png

We only need 2 fires to forge a +2 since Nyx starts with one & we rolled one from the lottery. I also forge a Bronze Bow +2 for Niles* because I already know I'm going to at least +3 a Bronze Bow anyway. (We have tons of people that'll be going through E-rank bows, seeing how Nyx is in Adventurer right now and Bow Knight is kind of a whole thing if you wanted to get Shuriken-Breaker.)

*Remember that Nyx stole his old one.

Similar reasoning for the forged fire. We can forge a +1 Thunder for free* right now since both Odin and Camilla start with one, but I really like Inspiration so there's a very high chance Felicia will be going Strategist, meaning she'll need a nice E-rank tome.

*Well, technically for 1k, same as the Fires. The fact that nobody on our team is using Thunder right now means that we could also just sell the two Thunder tomes to pay for our two Fires. But that's the kind of thing you do when you're cash strapped, not when you're just sitting on a mountain of cash.

7JvoOoC.png  

Elise gets Jakob's Heal. (She... ends up not healing a single time this map, IRRC.)

b1bdO9T.png  zBNhJMl.png

Jakob takes a Bloom Festal (bp/vp reward), for his last map in a long time as Butler. He might return to it and continue being Ryoma (he won't get to use Swordfaire, but L&D is more than enough), but he'll still be going through Swordmaster, Master of Arms, and possibly even Paladin first.

No heals here either.

Also note he swapped Felicia's Plate for Flame Shuriken. He loses like ~7 or so Avoid for doing that, and the ability to crit, but gains 5 Atk and 2 Speed. (And being able to never crit is very good if I'm trying to fish for exp via Attack Stance anyway.) I also pick up a Dual Shuriken for him, replacing the Stale Bread. I still like Stale Bread a lot, and in retrospect I think I'd rather drop the Fruit Knife rather than the bread.

OHLTonZ.png  WX08ZmJ.png

Camilla grabs the +2 Fire to roast some Wyverns & Armors. Pity she needed a Mag Tonic + a Pair-up if she wanted to ORKO the armors on the map, IRRC.

ZoFrIyp.png  G7DfqNR.png

In retrospect giving someone with 18 Str a 27 MT sword might have been major overkill. Odin doesn't really have the Def to handle multiple armors smacking him, though, so the only other choice was Corrin. (Normally it'd be a real choice between high Speed Selena and high Str Corrin, but Selena's stuffed full of stat boosters so she's just strictly better.)

fsfqVqf.png  dHyUgcG.png

Gave Niles the newly forged +2 Bronze.

I tend to end up with fairly high Bronze Forges by the end game, since they're so efficient leading up to that point, and I can always combine the leftovers from people who don't want Bronze to make a good endgame weapon for someone who either wants Bronze or don't care either way.

The Map:

9ZDCND4.png

Selena & Beruka step on the Gate to counter-kill the 1 range armors. (In retrospect I should've paired Selena with Beruka instead, and flew Selena in to ORKO the Javelin armor---would've freed up the right side a lot quicker.)

8NJNxno.png  zIM7S5F.png

I dance Jakob and confirm that yes, nobody has positive hit rates on him except the Cavalier and Orochi. (Remember that she has Calamity Gate.)

Tji913I.png

Then I end turn over here to aggro the boss wave.

ZKjlrxg.png  oU28W3s.png

Ended turn like this. As you can see pretty much all my resources are going to the left side, and Elise is going with Camilla to try and counter-kill some Wyverns so we stagger them rather than having to fight all 4 at once.

In retrospect I didn't need Elise with Camilla at all---she had enough Mag to ORKO the Wyverns regardless, and not enough to ORKO the armor half regardless. She would've needed a Mag Tonic on top of the Elise pair-up (on top of the +2 Fire or +1 Thunder) for the armors.

eE7giMd.png  9KQWDG6.png

Selena gets... basically the worst possible level, I think, for counter-killing the two melee mooks. Don't think we're allowed 0 stat level-ups anymore. Yes, I legit would rather have Mag. Levins are about taking advantage of the difference in Def and Res in your enemies, so you don't really need high Mag to want them.

ZmDjWES.png

The red line is Takumi and Reina, both of whom destroy Camilla. This tiny hard to see aggro line is the first Wyvern we can aggro for free---they do enough damage that they try to hit Camilla, so it's a free kill & the armor gets dropped on the enemy side of the river.

E5CpkSP.png

Rather than finishing off the Javelin guy, I run back then separate Beruka and Selena. Selena ORKOs the armor either way, and this way I get to use Beruka for stuff. (Also note Selena's stepping on the gate for some free healing.)

ZuYuK8D.png

Enemies don't attack if they have 0% hit odds, so there's a nice treasure trove of exp to be taken. They hit decently hard, though, so this is fairly expensive in hp costs. Candy cane is amazing, however, since it's basically a mini Live to Serve---you heal for 10-13 and then get healed yourself for 5.

p3tHH1p.png

Note that Niles isn't actually doing that much damage more than Nyx. The difference is basically an attack stance's worth, although he does have significantly better bulk.

w1zDlQ6.png  teMtCmp.png

I dance Nyx to heal Niles, which lets her grab some weapon exp from this Attack Stance.

iQz2Ue7.png  FposMA9.png

I double check that yes, still 0% hit odds, then I kill Orochi. Didn't even need the Shield Guage---Jakob crit on the 6%.

FipdCEW.png  DHYHPhH.png

Welcome back, Ultra-Perfect-Jakob.

VsHXZcp.png  34TFITj.png

The Wyverns are coming in hot, but we cleared out more than enough mooks that we can handle both them and the mages if we really had to.

VhrVRL8.png

This is Camilla counter-killing, and also where I realized that the Elise pair-up was overkill. Would've liked her Lily's poise for our mage killing to save a bunch of hp.

ezf7ZW2.png

This kill is on our turn, note the armor that was dropped from the earlier counter-kill. Staggering the waves like this makes the Wyverns a lot less scary. (I still manage to get a Moral Reset because I was stupid and forgot that being bulky just means you're 2HKOd rather than 1HKOd, though. More on that later.)

y2G0ntO.png  1AyNQbr.png

Typical Camilla level. She has 3.95 average growths in Malig Knight. Reminder that even Odin's amazing Samurai growths is 4.1, which is just .15 higher, and in Dark Mage Camilla actually beats him.

KzJyGQo.png  93wjBXB.png

Curse your exactly enough movement to be standing on the gate.

I4Fhcne.png

Just farming more exp at this point.

N6adjfv.png

I double check that Odin isn't in range to get brutally murdered by a Wyvern drop, and then do this.

LnRKOMj.png

The mages have pretty terrible bulk on both sides---note how Flame Shuriken is killing them.

H2TbVUR.png

R.I.P. Candy Cane, you will be missed. (Until I find another one on the ground.)

vrnfGXP.png  CeWy6H6.png

Note how Beruka is range of both of the Wyverns. A reminder that being 2HKOd means you're bulky.

Beruka is bulky, this means she's 2HKOd rather than 1HKOd.

Moral Reset Counter: 4.5

She lived because of the fights she took with Selena, meaning the Beruka + Charolotte pair-up had half a shield-gauge already from the half she kept, and she's fast enough to double the first armor to fill it the rest of the way. Technically this meant she was in 0 danger of dying, but the reason this is a moral reset is because I didn't plan for her to survive that way---I expected her to be able to tank 2 hits because I forgot the 2HKO rule and didn't double check combat math.

axDtMgh.png  HVh6Jo8.png

Way too close for comfort, there.

00vtzIH.png
Armorslayers are really accurate when attacking armors.

Which is a really nice thing about Conquest---that they actually made it so that rather than effective weapons being inaccurate all the time, they're only inaccurate when you're not really supposed to be using them. I won't buy them from the shop or anything, but I'd always be happy picking them up half price. (Which is basically what it means to get something from a chest or whatnot---you're not getting it for free, you're getting it for their vendor price.)

mi0XZfT.png

Doop.

0WFWdl0.png

You can really tell how slow the 'Nohr' levels are since your team doubles everyone.

TTkV36W.png  jj06q5q.png

I can forgive one mediocre level given past performance. (But 2 in a row and she's on the road to the bench.)

oyFPqgU.png

Bow are so unbelievably good in this game. Nyx has 5 Str.

Speed is pretty much the only relevant combat stat if you're using bows, since you can just forge Bronzes for both accuracy and damage.

nLmpa37.png

I still haven't used this enough time to make up for the fact that it costs ~2k in the shop, but I got this for free from bp/vp. (Well, okay, for vendor price.)

lbIhtlW.png  nwpKdsm.png

I dance him after that and have him bait Reina with the Dual Shuriken. The horses all use lances, so reversing the weapon triangle is all upside. (The 2 armors are a slight problem, but I checked Benny's stats beforehand and he has no problem tanking literally everyone other than Reina, so I can just sit behind him if things go badly.)

The thief has spawned at this point, I believe, hence why I'm pulling Reina. Without a time crunch I'd kill the armors first.

OoRfMGY.png

Don't fuck with Jakob. (Three people attacked him on EP, three people don't exist anymore.)

trUQ4t0.png

I kill the Javelin mook that somehow survived 4 whole turns. Mercenaries are one of the few units that are perfectly happy being left alone---between Sol and Good fortune they're pretty self-sufficient as long as you don't bite off more than they can chew.

They enjoy being in groups as well, of course---everyone likes being in groups---but they can handle being alone better than most.

SaKQ65c.png

Benny's personal is -10% Avoid in a 2 square AoE. If you liked Heartseeker then you'll like it as well. Pity it's really hard to use him offensively, considering the whole armor movement thing. That and the fact that he has negative speed.

fxGWYuN.png

I give Benny Odin to make doubly sure he doesn't get doubled. I think he's fine without Odin, though---Nohr maps tend to be low on speed.

9mU2P3N.png  fAXlDK1.png

Not liking my numbers if I went in now, I pull back, dancing Nyx for this Azura level that has hp in it. (She should be reasonably able to survive a single round in Chapter 14, now.)

LDLzl6a.png  VABoAXZ.png

Everyone injured (other than Benny) is next to Azura for her AoE heal. Also note Elise being nice with her Lily's Poise. If she was level 10 right now I think Benny just takes 0 damage from everyone other than the armor, thanks to Demoiselle. But she isn't.

5r47rVB.png

I move Nyx before this combat to get some free weapon exp. (The grind is real, lul.)

h7KP6kW.png

Her KOs were all shaky when using her swords, but I flip through all her weapons by habit and notice she has a OHKO with the Dragonstone, thanks to the Elise pair-up. (I had to pair her up with Elise to get the movement to get here.)

zN7U5oZ.png  E49gMgn.png

Good level, but I'd really like some speed right now.

TGXVmkB.png 

The sad thing? Nyx doesn't even get D-rank at the end of the map. Which, mind, is expected. It took like 5 maps for Odin to get C, and 1 range weapons tend to be easier to build ranks with, thanks to their users usually having the stats to do EP combats.

kg0poC6.png  AVQS2WM.png

Meh.

7UMJ3Tq.png  jxpgSix.png

Didn't want to give Benny any more exp than I have to---not really looking for slow, Def heavy units when I have a fast, Def heavy unit right here in Beruka---so I soften the horse guy up with Beruka before finishing with Odin.

dejAjBE.png  XVDPwK1.png

Honestly this is either the best or 2nd best one stat level. The other choice is speed.

k4qPAd6.png  t8kHLm3.png

I dance Nyx to do some chip, and then Jakob does Jakob things. (Note how he's using Flame Shuriken to guarantee that Beruka gets the Attack Stance KO.)

R4RS28L.png  cbDhuHs.png

Fast forward a turn and we have this. (We finished things up with Reina so quickly that I actually had to wait a bit for the thief to get out of Scarlet's aggro range.)

Turns out, he doesn't attack.

jwBT1Yl.png  rwrQLnw.png

Doop.

GDMQ4B2.png  tCIXgjw.png

Niles gets the 5000G. Also note how Odin, in a Luck pair-up, holding a Bronze Sword, next to Elise and Camilla, is baiting Takumi.

Bloody Bow Jesus and his 19% crit. Also note how I bait him in range of a forest like a stupid person---I should've moved Elise to where Camilla is and use the other available square, sacrificing Rose's Thorns.

Natural cover is pretty damn strong---good thing the enemy density per wave isn't high enough for me to have turn issues yet.

2v0MZ6V.png

Where do I sign up for your 35 hp, guy. (Just ignore Jakob and his 32.)

wxow7eS.png  J9gZfVu.png

Ultra-Perfect-Jakob intensifies.

4ekh1B1.png  JE4tuOV.png

I couldn't find a KO without using Rose's Thorns, so I chip a mook with Camilla before slicing Takumi's head off.

PIEzanP.png  NeCO8qk.png

1/7 for Speed. These are good levels, mind, just not really Selena levels. They're more stuff you'd expect from Corrin.

I guess she's really mad about me not giving her the Speedwing I didn't have from bp/vp rewards. (Something like, "I'll show you who's in danger of capping Speed already.")

MdKq1eo.png

I'd like to say that the reason I gave Selena and not Corrin the Dual Katana is because the Dragon Stone fixes the weapon triangle, but no, it's just favoritism. (The dragonstone being low-key great is just a happy coincidence.)

kNxA5tR.png

Doop.

SOCvyZS.png

Nobody in range of the last guy is in any danger, so I just start grabbing items at this point.

NqP3JVz.png  47HOjGC.png

Pretty much only mop up left, now. Scarlet is basically the least threatening boss on this map.

rhoRwzM.png  2gpMmot.png

Must, acquire, bow rank. (I dance her for the second hit.)

IuVQTgn.png

Using the Bronze Sword to get Attack Stance exp.

7KX9X3C.png  7xY4oOA.png

Doop.

Yk74va4.png  EbXqXDF.png

Fast forward a bit and we have this formation. Jakob is using the Dual Shuriken because tome-breaker & Dual Shuriken gives him very good combat triangle coverage. Yeah, you're weak against Tomes now, but you also have a Breaker against them.

NW3GnwX.png  0wSt5dC.png

*Fake celebration noises*

(She got this while I was setting up.)

kThNo3B.png

I can push this into ~100% territory if I were willing to just walk Odin next to Scarlet and not attack, I think. But Niles hits both shots. (And I had so many turns to kill these guys that I didn't need to optimize.)

QARpuoa.png

Free kill since Tomahawk is 2-range only. (It's interesting that they get to crit and use skills in exchange for that, although they still can't double.)

RZlYDDY.png

Bows.jpg

Ki6oQBA.png  eAkVOMv.png

It's speed.

IlHaY0J.png  5NclL4V.png

I don't really need Niles as an Adventurer since Nyx is already one, so I'd rather he got more Str than Mag.

(They both got a level from that fight.)

tZKNpxY.png  b3XwltL.png

4 Horses spawned to our right, and we have enough turns left to kill them all.

PARNyre.png  M9dUHS5.png

Being able to double with Beruka is a pretty nice feeling, although it's more because this is a Nohr map than because she's speed blessed.

deHxisE.png  t2X3Qoe.png

I highlight two mooks, meaning there's only 1 guy in range to attack Jakob. (He also doesn't go for it.)

hYm6TC5.png

Doop.

4bkkmKp.png

I waste Camilla's turn positioning for this ORKO.

5FJxOdY.png  fDbrafr.png

4/5 for Speed.

Yeah...

69boVvQ.png

Odin is such a giant pansy, honestly.

WkHcLVa.png  6TiuhlK.png

Kind of an annoying level, but he does want a bit more Res at this point---it's still a whole point behind. He's actually very close to his averages at this point. Speed is 1.5 ahead and hp is 1.5 below as the biggest differences.

1PXbF3k.png

And I dance Beruka for this finish. (I walked Niles up for the ORKO.)

th85z8r.png

Epilogue:

RTMDvBV.png

Lottery got upgraded, so I roll it again for this pretty neat drop. (I think silver balls are average rolls at this point, but not 100% sure.)

K3K5tyC.png  XgAdPY6.png

Azura spends a lot of time dancing Jakob because I usually buff him before sending him out to bait. And Elise & Camilla got their C-rank from killing the Wyverns together.

rO0jR2w.png  

Bow people do bow things.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of, does the same AI Iago operates under regarding staff use in that chapter apply to the generic Maids with at least two of Freeze, Silence, Enfeeble, and the Hexing Rod?

I have no bloody clue, I'll be honest.

(I usually play maps under the assumption the AI makes the 'best' play, and adjust when they do 'stupid' stuff.)

I didn't see you really describe Benny and Charlotte this map.

I assume both are going to be not used. If so, what reasons are there besides their being pretty low level this far in the campaign?

9 hours ago, Dayni said:

I didn't see you really describe Benny and Charlotte this map.

I assume both are going to be not used. If so, what reasons are there besides their being pretty low level this far in the campaign?

I actually did describe Benny, but it was just a throwaway line.

I like his personal a lot, but he's an armor and has negative speed. Beruka is a flying armor and has positive speed, especially in this particular run. There could be a role for him as a guy who goes in, hits very hard (but doesn't ORKO), and then everyone else uses him for Attack Stance damage, but my team is so stacked already that most of them can go in, ORKO, and then everyone else uses them for Attack Stance damage.

Charlotte tends to be pair-up fodder for me (and she's easily one of the best units in my lineup just for that), it's an extremely exp and gold efficient way to use your deployment slots---she's level 10 base so literally all it costs is a Master Seal. And her Heart Seal option is great as well, going into Troubadour to heal for a while and then turning into physical Elise.

Her heals will be pretty shitty since she has literally 0 Mag---bases and growths are both 0---but her offenses are hilarious, meaning she can easily tank the fact that she'll be early promoted or just slow-rolling in Troubadour for a while. This is only theory-crafting, though---she's just so good as a pair-up bot that I've never actually exploited her combat stats properly.

If we end up with some excess deployment slots + I don't think I need her as pair-up fodder I might Heart Seal her into Troubadour and find out whether I'm right about her or not.

42 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I actually did describe Benny, but it was just a throwaway line.

I like his personal a lot, but he's an armor and has negative speed. Beruka is a flying armor and has positive speed, especially in this particular run. There could be a role for him as a guy who goes in, hits very hard (but doesn't ORKO), and then everyone else uses him for Attack Stance damage, but my team is so stacked already that most of them can go in, ORKO, and then everyone else uses them for Attack Stance damage.

Charlotte tends to be pair-up fodder for me (and she's easily one of the best units in my lineup just for that), it's an extremely exp and gold efficient way to use your deployment slots---she's level 10 base so literally all it costs is a Master Seal. And her Heart Seal option is great as well, going into Troubadour to heal for a while and then turning into physical Elise.

Her heals will be pretty shitty since she has literally 0 Mag---bases and growths are both 0---but her offenses are hilarious, meaning she can easily tank the fact that she'll be early promoted or just slow-rolling in Troubadour for a while. This is only theory-crafting, though---she's just so good as a pair-up bot that I've never actually exploited her combat stats properly.

If we end up with some excess deployment slots + I don't think I need her as pair-up fodder I might Heart Seal her into Troubadour and find out whether I'm right about her or not.

I don't claim to know the harder modes of Conquest all that well, but I wonder if Benny would be plausible to use if he had Wary Fiighter bought and he went into Great Knight, though I have the suspicion that he probably wouldn't. I say that as someone who considered him well worth using when I first played it, even if he needed Wary Fighter badly.

Charlotte's role seems like something that fits her in a way- pretending she can't fight and having the support partner take them out. Though I wonder if you'll even have the spaces for it.

16 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Mercenaries are one of the few units that are perfectly happy being left alone---between Sol and Good fortune they're pretty self-sufficient as long as you don't bite off more than they can chew.

I dunno about that - relying on those is pretty unwise imo, especially Good Fortune, which probably won't heal as much as one hit would take off of them. And this is ignoring that Good Fortune relies on the user's luck stat. If I really wanted a reliable self-heal, I'd just use Renewal instead - it's not chance-based like Good Fortune is.

Edited by Shadow Mir

When I use Benny it's usually as a General. Instant promotion lets him solo Kitsune Lair and he will usually get Wary Fighter before it's done. He makes a great pair up both after that.

I've never used Charlotte at all.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno about that - relying on those is pretty unwise imo, especially Good Fortune, which probably won't heal as much as one hit would take off of them. And this is ignoring that Good Fortune relies on the user's luck stat. If I really wanted a reliable self-heal, I'd just use Renewal instead - it's not chance-based like Good Fortune is.

I don't rely on Good Fortune, it's one of those things where you take advantage if you have it rather than forcing things. Using the Fruit Knife, for example, only works if I have a turn free. (Whereas using Stale Bread only requires that you don't need a lot of Atk---since bread only has 1 MT, IRRC.)

I'm quite comfortable leaving my units at critical hp if I know they aren't going to die, so there's plenty of time for random procs to heal them up. That said, Good Fortune is at best half of +5 hp---it takes a very long map before it heals more than 5 hp or so on average, and when the game's that late usually you can bring in better skills to fill your slots. And +5 hp's other half is adding a hilarious amount of bulk.

That says a lot more about how good +5 hp is than Good Fortune, though.

And regarding Renewal---there are only two units who can get that in time for it to be competitive with Good Fortune, and that's Jakob and Felicia, and them being able to get stuff that fast is kind of the reason they're broken as hell. If you allow skill-buy it's a different matter, though.

Chapter 14:

Pre-map Planning:

fPuDogy.png  0FJf2fX.png

Really relaxing chapter this time around---everyone on the map is only hitting for around ~25 at best, meaning you can pretty much do whatever you want once the Hexing Rod and Enfeeble are dealt with. The only big 'gotcha' moment in the map is when a wave of 3 pair'd up Sky Knight and Kinshis spawn from the left side of the map, but their attack is so horrendous that Keaton (or Leo---but he doesn't get exp, he has like -3 internal levels or something, which isn't enough to give him exp on this map) can probably solo them all if you wanted to do that.

Objectives: 10,000G, Seraph Robe.

Pretty easy to grab these, just don't forget to pop open the chests and you have em. I like +5 hp a lot as a skill, so obviously I like Seraph Robe a ton---either Selena or Corrin will be getting it, since they're the only real 'shoe-in's to my late-game lineup. Jakob's also an option, of course---and from a performance perspective I'd argue he's the best option right now, but I don't need to optimize that hard.

oeTrkR5.png  WSpF8wo.png

Hexing Rod asshole & Enfeeble person. (Enfeeble isn't nearly as bad as Hexing Rod until Inevitable End comes in, so I don't mind them---not yet, anyway. Later Chapters will give you lots of reasons to rush, meaning you can't just wait them out.)

It's also pretty easy to just wait out the Hexing Rod by having the priestess hit irrelevant people, but you need to clear out the top side anyway so there's not much reason not to send someone over to rush the priestess down.

TJdHmhS.png  NZHSxJW.png

These guys are protecting the Priestess with Hexing Rod, so you can't just snipe her for free. (Because of the Lunge---pretty sure you don't get Lunged if you counter-kill, though.)

5ywZNYa.png  EEdH4xw.png

The two high-lighted enemies both have Freeze. Entrap that teleports you straight into the book + his mooks. Not really a problem unless you forgot they were there. (Enemy stats are really low.)

5ilmJbz.png  dYCLl3g.png

Only thing special about these guys is the Pike-Ruin Club. (Effective vs. Pikes.) Heartseeker doesn't really matter. It's 2 melee guys and 2 throwing club guys, incidentally.

qbbRnal.png  ovlkQZZ.png

These guys have pass, but 5 move isn't really enough to just walk through your team if you're in a conga line, and even if they do get past they only have 23 Atk. (And Steel means you'd need 11 speed or less to get doubled, which is pretty damn slow.)

jDTKQsi.png  seSV6d4.png

Again, the effective weapon is the only special thing. I guess enemy stats are low this time around to get you used to the idea of random weapon triangle effective damage.

XNCoKld.png  W9wGu6U.png

Generic archer mooks.

99LNsPL.png  vQyq1VA.png

I actually used the Food Court before I looked at the map---I popped a double speed meal thinking I'd have problems doubling in a 'Hoshido' map---and then I looked at this and realized anyone who can't double is going to just OHKO everything anyway. 36 physical bulk is kind of atrocious when Bronze Bow +2 is 10 MT. (Nyx misses the OHKO by 1 Str, but I don't care enough to give her a tonic.)

Yeah I swapped to double Defense afterwards.

FGG7Sbj.png  DUXYmq2.png

Random Swordcatcher---just remember to un-equip your sword and she won't do anything. She only has like 15 Atk or something without the effective damage.

sdrVZuM.png  oLoocmA.png

Random magic weapon again, but 20 Atk isn't anything to write home about, even if she attacks with 22 effective speed.

kdUAFel.png  f4aCIAZ.png

Boss mook, pretty high stats, but only 9 crit and he has 0 move, so it's not really possible to have problems killing him. Note that both of his weapons are 1-2 range, though.

His archer mooks have Certain Blow, but also only like... 25 or 26 Atk, so they don't matter at all. Note the counter-magic, don't just ram Leo into him.

32aOjWQ.png  WIqjumk.png

Keaton starts as a friendly, and with pretty great bases. High hp is a rarity in Conquest, and his bulk + speed are nothing to scoff at either---although you do have to pick between decent speed vs. excellent bulk. I don't think it's possible to forge Beaststones, though, so I don't really like using him. (That said, his S-rank Attack Stance support gives 15 dodge, and his promoted form has like 10 or 15 dodge by default, meaning he'll never get crit and neither will his support partner.)

Though I should mention that he's basically the best Fighter (which he has as a Heart Seal option) in Conquest. He's better than Arthur in pretty much everything except fishing for crits, although with Charlotte it's a real trade between tons of speed vs. tons of bulk and actual bases, thanks to joining at level 15.

UgcEYUD.png  EMFCLQf.png

Leo starts on our side with basically a +3.5 Bronze Tome, except it can crit. (The bronze tome would be 20% or so more accurate in exchange for the no crit thing, though.)

Fairly decent stats, with the main issue of needing a pretty hefty speed pair-up to consistently double. Probably the weakest of the 4 Royals (I tend to rate support abilities very highly, hence why Elise beats him---she also has like 10 maps on him), but that still makes him one of the top units of Conquest.

Note that while Xander and Leo both feel slow, they actually have decent speed growths. Xander has 35% personally and Leo has 45%, actually tied with Selena's. They're slow because speed is one of those stats where bases matter far, far more than growths. Hence why Selena feels fast as hell even in this run, where she got 1 speed in 7 levels, which is 14% growth. (Although, mind, she did get another one from the Dragon Herb I fed her.)

Nothing special about this map, I just take it slowly to use up the Enfeeble uses and then death ball my way to the boss---taking a short backtrack to kill the Reinforcements. I also send Selena + Camilla to snipe the Hexing Rod priestess turn 1, so I don't have to worry about it.

My Castle Stuff:

T46DTkI.png  pwdA1Sc.png

Very nice rolls both sides. I love picking up free staffs because that's pretty much the only on-going kind of expense that happens to me. (Since I don't chug tonics much.)

Although note that initially I got a 'Standard' +2 Speed instead---which is also the first time I got a 'blank' flair.

KlkxN3g.png

zDCHzUo.png  HLnaJZN.png

The second time around I got a Def tonic and a half, which is amazing for everyone it hit.

sTCX9OY.png

We ended up having the slots to bring Charlotte, so I do.

Enemy stats are so low this map that I can easily bring our second stringers like Peri, Laslow, Effie, etc. But I figure I might as well test 'classic' Charlotte---she looks amazingly good, with just a tiny bit of a rough start thanks to shaky base skill + luck (but excellent growths), and being fairly high maintenance when it comes to healing due to her bulk being Hp based rather than Def & Res based like basically every other Nohr unit.

Resource Distribution:

8sjqLCl.png  4UgKKoJ.png

Partner Seal & Bronze +2 for Jakob.

qSYDAWU.png

Levin for Corrin. The mag on our sword units actually goes Corrin > Selena > Odin, which is kind of interesting, seeing how Selena has 5% Mag growth and Odin doesn't (he has 30%).

Note that the pictures were taken out of order. I end up with 18,615 gold at the end.

BCLeefC.png  ZrjVAeK.png

Jakob goes Swordmaster rather than Master of Arms because he gets better Speed growth than in MoA---Swordfaire is also better than L&D when you're this blessed, since you get to keep your bulk.

I give him a Raider Katana on top of the the Bronze Sword +2 just in case it matters. (It does let him double pair'd up Sky Knights, but we have Bows, so it's irrelevant right now.)

It's also a really good time to class change right now since getting Leo means losing Butler Jakob doesn't hurt nearly as much, since Leo's offenses are only a tad worse and his bulk is actually a ton better, meaning Leo could do a lot of what Jakob has been doing for us recently.

hBQGX0H.png  XZlZYaT.png

Note that normally she only has 7 defense. I also remove Gamble since that's the kind of skill you use when you're past the shaky start rather than during the shaky start. 33 hp is great, though, especially considering she's only level 10 right now, so her bulk is actually on the high side for our team.

The Frying Pan is basically a bronze axe that can crit---at the cost of only having 3 MT. But Charlotte's personal is +4 damage versus females so even under-leveled like this she's still doing decent damage. (Pity she can't pair-up fodder for herself, because a bit more Str and Speed is exactly what she needs to get to the point where she ORKOs everything.)

mlCOdnL.png  qh7OtRh.png

Corrin gets the Levin I bought and Selena gets the Nohrian Blade I picked up before the map started. Note that because Swordmaster Jakob doesn't give Mag in a pair-up, Selena actually hits harder with the Levin, because she tends to be paired with Camilla---whether Attack or Guard stance she still gets +3 magical damage.

pkj4jC6.png

God I love free stuff. (I actually have another Mend from bp/vp rewards that I unlocked while doing random castle visits, but I won't pick that up unless I somehow hit 500 BP for Speedwings.)

Mends heal for 20 + Mag/3, IRRC, and Heals heal for 10 + Mag/3. This means that the only major difference between a low Mag healer and a high Mag healer is that the low Mag healer tends to spend about 3 times as much on staves. It matters, but you can think of it as the healing chugging '+Heal Tonics' like how other people chug hp tonics or whatever. It does need D-rank in staves, though.

The Map:

qIP7FOY.png  av2moTX.png

Special Delivery for one very, very dead Priestess.

The +3 Def from Nohrian Blade means that the archers do 1 damage (and then the poison strike does 6 post-combat), and the Axes do 0. Meaning I can just kill the two bow guys and then fly out again without worries.

OFyk050.png  6avhIfb.png

Everyone else sets up like this. Corrin and Jakob are going down to recruit Keaton---he has tons of bulk, but there's no sense in making him use more hp than needed. Wish he used the +Def stone rather than the -Def one to start.

Everyone else is preparing for the Sky Knights & Samurai that are going to be waltzing in. Charlotte's fighting the first pair on EP because I wanted her to grab some exp---although I focus on feeding Nyx more than her still, I really want that C-rank bow and I really don't want to Arms scroll for it.

Note that Beruka's exactly in range to ferry Azura wherever she's needed.

jYNWjd2.png  nunBEsP.png

This guy does 7 times the damage of the other archer on account of the Poison Strike. And apparently there is actually an axe mook who can damage Selena. (He dies on EP this turn.)

0Db4U0v.png  XQQS4Sg.png

It's quite safe to leave Jakob and Corrin unpaired like this, due to their personal skills (and Gentilhomme) providing a bunch of damage reduction on a map with low enemy stats already.

AmAUqHc.png

The Beaststone has 100% accuracy, but I care more about reducing Keaton's damage intake than anything else.

vEBJByN.png

Charlotte's Personal makes her pretty easy to train up. Female units tend to have low bulk to begin with, so even sand-bagged with low level bases and a 3 MT weapon she still does enough damage to 2HKO.

USA2Im9.png

The whole 1 damage off from OHKO is annoying, but I can't imagine a +3 or +4 Bronze having that problem, and the Blacksmith upgrades at the end of this chapter.

YJcG0sU.png  4CZZPrR.png

Note that nobody can stand on the 'ends' of the boats that make up this map. The water tiles are fine, and fliers can fly over the ends of the boats, but there's a lot of squares nobody actually gets to stand on, meaning it's pretty simple to position yourself safely as long as you're careful.

RZtzqHK.png  g9wHrdm.png

A few more turns and we can ditch this joint.

5fyOxbO.png  Cqt8pjd.png

1/8 for speed. Well, at least it's not a luck level this time.

Selena's growths are pretty shaky in terms of pure numbers, only 3.3 after Mercenary growths are factored in, and usually it's helped along by the fact that her growths are freakishly optimized, and she gets the most of the one stat that's hardest to fix---Speed. Her speed bases can carry her for a few more chapters, but I might actually have to feed her a Speedwing later.

abLgI0s.png

Losing Jakob to get 'just' another Odin is kind of annoying, but it'll make his late-game rock solid. (At least, I think it will. Hence why I'm testing this.)

ju8zJY7.png

Bows doing bow things.

chFaLWY.png

Note that Leo's personal is on right now (+3 damage, -1 damage taken when enemy isn't full hp---which is very easy to trigger if you have, say, Camilla with Savage Blow around), so his damage isn't quite this good normally. Still far, far more than enough to solo this map if he wanted to, though.

BQrxJEb.png

Oh man, when you aren't doubling Beruka as a Samurai you need to rethink your life.

27qioVn.png

Doop.

QL89qmd.png

I dance Elise over here to heal Jakob, now that he doesn't have Shuriken access anymore it's going to be fairly pricey to keep Jakob topped off. He's not as bad as Charlotte, but his bulk is also primarily hp based.

tkTzAXD.png  oqIUYtR.png

Standing in range of staves now to eat up their uses.

wyKbl8S.png

Camilla is also bulky enough that the axes don't even try to hit her, so we're ready to move in next turn. I still wait around a bit to run out the Enfeebles, though.

gqKYVS7.png

Keaton's personal varies from completely useless (if you visit other castles), to almost god-tier (if you don't, and you need to forge stuff). I'm perfectly fine with 'flavor' personals like this, though---Selena's is also pretty useless.

xSmAynn.png  oSXCwo6.png

Fast forward a few turns of waiting out Enfeeble uses and we have this. The red line is the 3 Sky Knights who started at the very right of the map---I thought the reinforcements were based on the sky knights, but turns out they were linked to the archers or axe mooks instead.

I8pFq5H.png  Z9Ih2DX.png

Azura got this level while we were setting up.

pmoZhSl.png  NKPcf46.png

Yeah... you have to be pretty terrible to die to these things. 24 Atk just isn't anything special when we just finished with dealing with 31 Atk mooks last map.

B28Hbyj.png  6JgcEUF.png

I shift everyone left to deal with the reinforcements, leaving Leo, Odin, and Camilla behind to deal with the right side.

In retrospect I shouldn't have used Beruka in a pair-up, I was really missing some mobility to kill everything. But everyone had enough bulk for one combat so it didn't matter that I couldn't kill all of the reinforcements.

ZYRu4nx.png

The Sky Knight's alone because Niles counter-killed the Kinshi on EP.

I0Sf4rb.png

Raider axe came in handy to get this double.

C09kHXq.png  SJ3kLsb.png

At least it has Def, I guess...

fkEQzDO.png

Doop.

88dky56.png  FgHvnsn.png

More Niles levels for the Niles train. His Str is 2 points behind at this point, but he's also a Bow user so that matters pretty much jack all.

VrzPjJV.png

If only Selena actually got speed level ups. D:

oSkSqZf.png

Like, you know, Jakob.

2vgmH9v.png  1pJYlw3.png

Well, okay, not like Jakob this time.

UQB5fvN.png  0wVtngG.png

It's so easy to play when nothing on the map can kill you.

h95sqel.png

Leo + Odin is a very good pair-up when Odin's Samurai. The only thing Leo's missing is some base speed, and Odin is two Speedwings.

aoxpZp9.png  0thX2u3.png

I have Jakob take this kill since he's the highest level'd non-promoted*, meaning he cares the most about promoted enemy exp. Then I dance him away for Charlotte to get some combat exp.

*I don't need to feed Nyx exp, just combats, so there's no need to be exp efficient with her.

8dqkug8.png  P9YsoSw.png

Skill and Luck are what she needs to fix her currently low accuracy, and speed is what she needs to double. Basically a perfect level until she catches up with the rest of the team, at which point she'll want bulk and Str more.

TWrVuMA.png

Doop.

5NqcsVg.png  ix7uGgZ.png

Just moping up at this point, and grabbing the two chests.

2b9hKgk.png

I get Niles here by swapping to Beruka, dancing Beruka, and then transferring to Leo to transfer to Camilla.

NurRFzT.png  wFfOiOX.png

Bow exp. I then get the Great Club from the convoy and give it to Charlotte to fish for Attack Stance weapon exp.

QudwRQq.png  yp5hkzc.png

Beruka goes top-side to pick up exp, and I send Niles up later for the chest.

LCowcpP.png  QpgifpZ.png

Doop.

qt3rTBG.png  kK5IdZi.png

5/6 for speed. Beruka, with 40% speed growths, had 5/6 for speed.

0iW0GMn.png

She crit, by the way. (The Great Club is kind of silly once you manage to get some accuracy---which Charlotte is pretty damn good at doing.)

CqRW7PD.png  BzInPqn.png

I can scroll her up for Shining Bow if I needed overkill offenses now. But our team's more than good enough on killing things right now.

1YCz7yv.png  OvStZug.png

Doop.

Rckx0Dh.png  12Jnd5f.png

I get Niles up here and Beruka kills a mook once I get my next turn.

7Rzltrg.png  PvF100t.png

Fast forward a little and I have Nyx crack the 10,000G Chest. (She's level 2 so she has Locktouch now.)

mPdRKD6.png  RX5oQZu.png

Then I have Leo use his sword and see if he can bait the archer mooks. (He can't.)

V0WMnQO.png  ibOu2XN.png

So I just grab the Seraph Robe with Niles and dance the Selena + Camilla combo in to murder one of the archer mooks, accepting that she'll be teleported into the boss's range.

bUTlY8o.png  gJhaM50.png

I don't really mind Azura getting bad levels since almost all her levels are going to be bad anyway. (She really needs hp and def, and she pretty much never gets them.)

8lYUBEH.png  iYYflpN.png

I double check Nyx doesn't die to the archer mook and then I shoot the priestess for exp.

0jMxH9A.png  57FG3aw.png

Selena finishes her off just in case it's possible to use Entrap like this and move Nyx somewhere stupid, killing her. Sword Ranks are 1 Atk per rank, so B rank is pretty sweet.

wDlWkmC.png

Selena does 10 on the counter---Strong Riposte---so doing this means the boss only needs 1 hit next turn.

dcEmoiQ.png  cQfrSpg.png

I end the turn and then dance Nyx to pick up the archer mook kill.

9uxk1Rz.png  wvEN7QJ.png

Getting her a pretty mediocre level.

nU6dNjl.png

+1 move is amazing, though.

htmQm6T.png

Doop.

aOHh0zN.png  b4CtmCJ.png

God damn it, Selena...

1/9 on speed. She has 60% growths.

MGwHJxS.png

Epilogue:

hkUuoEW.png  IcxBfIb.png

Nyx gets a Charlotte support, which is great---for Nyx, her speed is still shaky enough that she want speed from her pair-ups, and strength doesn't exactly hurt. Odin's B-rank also gives Str, so that's nice.

The Beruka supports matter more for Niles than Jakob---Corrin's Supportive means that she gives tons of bulk and damage for Jakob.

gU3FVUt.png

Odin gives Mag for his C-rank, so this makes the Odin Leo pair-up even better. Pity about the Mag from B-rank and Luck from A-rank.

I don't rely on Good Fortune, it's one of those things where you take advantage if you have it rather than forcing things. Using the Fruit Knife, for example, only works if I have a turn free. (Whereas using Stale Bread only requires that you don't need a lot of Atk---since bread only has 1 MT, IRRC.)

I'm quite comfortable leaving my units at critical hp if I know they aren't going to die, so there's plenty of time for random procs to heal them up. That said, Good Fortune is at best half of +5 hp---it takes a very long map before it heals more than 5 hp or so on average, and when the game's that late usually you can bring in better skills to fill your slots. And +5 hp's other half is adding a hilarious amount of bulk.

That says a lot more about how good +5 hp is than Good Fortune, though.

And regarding Renewal---there are only two units who can get that in time for it to be competitive with Good Fortune, and that's Jakob and Felicia, and them being able to get stuff that fast is kind of the reason they're broken as hell. If you allow skill-buy it's a different matter, though.

I'd honestly say you'd pretty much have to force it with how low its activation rate is (I'd have better luck fishing for added effects in Pokemon than hoping Good Fortune happens to kick in)... If I really needed to heal, I'd rather just use a vulnerary, since it heals more than Good Fortune ever will (unless you end up with 50+ HP, which most units won't) or a healer.

Personally, I tend to milk lost HP for all they're worth for healing. Relying on random procs would be fine it it actually healed for something significant, which it doesn't.

Even with that, Good Fortune STILL manages to compare poorly to Renewal, because one, its effect just isn't powerful enough, and two, it doesn't activate often enough. If those sound like criteria a Useless Useful Skill would fall under, that's because they are. For Good Fortune to even compare, you'd need to either double the healing or double the activation rate. Or even both.

32 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The second time around I got a Def tonic and a half, which is amazing for everyone it hit.

Don't kitchen bonuses cap out at +2?

Selena actually hits harder with the Levin, because she tends to be paired with Camilla---whether Attack or Guard stance she still gets +3 magical damage.

I don't think it works like that - skills like Rose's Thorns do not work if the user is in the back of a pair up.

The Great Club is kind of silly once you manage to get some accuracy---which Charlotte is pretty damn good at doing.

I would disagree since 45 base hit is that damn bad. Especially when you're talking about units that aren't known for being accurate. You'd practically need Certain Blow to make it worth using.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd honestly say you'd pretty much have to force it with how low its activation rate is (I'd have better luck fishing for added effects in Pokemon than hoping Good Fortune happens to kick in)... If I really needed to heal, I'd rather just use a vulnerary, since it heals more than Good Fortune ever will (unless you end up with 50+ HP, which most units won't) or a healer.

Personally, I tend to milk lost HP for all they're worth for healing. Relying on random procs would be fine it it actually healed for something significant, which it doesn't.

Even with that, Good Fortune STILL manages to compare poorly to Renewal, because one, its effect just isn't powerful enough, and two, it doesn't activate often enough. If those sound like criteria a Useless Useful Skill would fall under, that's because they are. For Good Fortune to even compare, you'd need to either double the healing or double the activation rate. Or even both.

You can't be good if you don't exist, Good Fortune exists. It's a level 1 skill, and it does the job of a level 1 skill---that is, it's comparable to things like +2 Def, +2 Str. It's a reasonable use of a skill-slot until you get enough skills to fill your slots, and then it gets pushed out.

And I value gold more than exp---I haven't bought a single staff or healing item this game, I've just been using the stuff people join with and I got from bp/vp or the ground.

Don't kitchen bonuses cap out at +2?

Flairs stack on top of the regular bonuses. I got +2 Def from the 'regular' effect, and then +1 from the practical flair. Edit: Oh wait, no, you're right. Charlotte has 8 Def at base, not 7. Weird.

I don't think it works like that - skills like Rose's Thorns do not work if the user is in the back of a pair up.

Malig Knight is +3 Mag/+3 Def/+1 Mov. Edit: Ah wait, no, that's Dark Knight. Malig Knight is +2 Mag/+2 Def/+2 Res/+1 Mov. So Selena only gets +2 if Camilla's in the back.

The +3 damage come from the +Mag, not Rose's Thorns.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

You can't be good if you don't exist, Good Fortune exists. It's a level 1 skill, and it does the job of a level 1 skill---that is, it's comparable to things like +2 Def, +2 Str. It's a reasonable use of a skill-slot until you get enough skills to fill your slots, and then it gets pushed out.

And I value gold more than exp---I haven't bought a single staff or healing item this game, I've just been using the stuff people join with and I got from bp/vp or the ground.

Existing doesn't mean much if you suck. Sure, Good Fortune exists, but it also sucks. And comparing it to Def +2 and the like is a joke. Def +2 and other such skills are always beneficial, and the benefit is actually tangible. Good Fortune is neither, because it's chance-based (at best, you have a slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of it working), and the healing is so little that it might as well not even matter (unless, again, you had a crapload of HP). To put things into perspective, Velouria has a similar skill for her personal, except it heals a flat 10 HP if it activates. Good Fortune requires the user to have at least 50 HP before it can equal that.

Flairs stack on top of the regular bonuses. I got +2 Def from the 'regular' effect, and then +1 from the practical flair.

I know that, but I'm saying in your case the extra effect the flair had would have no effect in this case because meal boosts can only increase stats by a maximum of 2 points.

Malig Knight is +3 Mag/+3 Def/+1 Mov. Edit: Ah wait, no, that's Dark Knight. Malig Knight is +2 Mag/+2 Def/+2 Res/+1 Mov. So Selena only gets +2 if Camilla's in the back.

The +3 damage come from the +Mag, not Rose's Thorns.

So you had the wrong class in mind then. Which begs the question... Where's the extra point to get +3 coming from?

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Existing doesn't mean much if you suck. Sure, Good Fortune exists, but it also sucks. And comparing it to Def +2 and the like is a joke. Def +2 and other such skills are always beneficial, and the benefit is actually tangible. Good Fortune is neither, because it's chance-based (at best, you have a slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of it working), and the healing is so little that it might as well not even matter (unless, again, you had a crapload of HP). To put things into perspective, Velouria has a similar skill for her personal, except it heals a flat 10 HP if it activates. Good Fortune requires the user to have at least 50 HP before it can equal that.

It costs 100g to heal 10 hp with a Vulnerary, this means that every 15 hp healed with good fortune (which is 3 procs or so, or around 20 turns on someone with 15 Luck), you get enough to buy a tonic for +2 to whatever stat. Just because a skill is luck based doesn't make it difficult to evaluate, and it's around level of other level 1 skills easily. It trades consistency and raw power for providing the second most fungible resource, hp. (The most fungible is Gold.)

It's far cheaper to heal with a Heal staff, but that doesn't apply when the Mercenary is alone.

Resource Management is about getting resources for the cheapest cost, which, because of how fungible resources happen to be, lets you then divert the excess into whatever you need. Increasing marginal costs is a factor, so if you're in the habit of chugging tonics then Good Fortune isn't as good, but right now you're comparing Good Fortune to skills I don't have access to nor care enough to spend 2k + a bunch of levels to obtain.

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So you had the wrong class in mind then. Which begs the question... Where's the extra point to get +3 coming from?

It doesn't come from anywhere. Selena's just tied with Corrin in Levin Sword usage rather than ahead by 1 damage if Camilla is being pair-ed up.

It costs 100g to heal 10 hp with a Vulnerary, this means that every 15 hp healed with good fortune (which is 3 procs or so, or around 20 turns on someone with 15 Luck), you get enough to buy a tonic for +2 to whatever stat. Just because a skill is luck based doesn't make it difficult to evaluate, and it's around level of other level 1 skills easily. It trades consistency and raw power for providing the second most fungible resource, hp. (The most fungible is Gold.)

It's far cheaper to heal with a Heal staff, but that doesn't apply when the Mercenary is alone.

Resource Management is about getting resources for the cheapest cost, which, because of how fungible resources happen to be, lets you then divert the excess into whatever you need. Increasing marginal costs is a factor, so if you're in the habit of chugging tonics then Good Fortune isn't as good, but right now you're comparing Good Fortune to skills I don't have access to nor care enough to spend 2k + a bunch of levels to obtain.

If it compares unfavorably to a healing item that eventually becomes obsolete, what does that tell you about it? Also, it's not like you'll always be able to afford to stall in hopes that Good Fortune happens to kick in......

Why in the name of Anankos would I have my Mercenary alone??? That's generally a big strategic no-no unless you outpower whatever you are going to face significantly.

You're taking this resource management thing a bit too far - it ain't like we're talking about Shadow Dragon here, where you only had one 20 use healing staff that needed to last you two chapters...

10 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Charlotte's Personal makes her pretty easy to train up. Female units tend to have low bulk to begin with, so even sand-bagged with low level bases and a 3 MT weapon she still does enough damage to 2HKO.

Too bad female units are in the minority, eh? Which, incidentally, is why it's so useless.

Edited by Shadow Mir