What could Heroes take from other gachas?

Arcphoenix

What do other gachas do that you feel Heroes could improve on? Things IS could take inspiration from to better the game.

I thought of this topic when I had Granblue in mind. Granblue I’d say is notable for its amazing writing. Every character in the game is an original character (ignoring the collabs) yet the writing often makes the characters grow on you. Writing in GBF is also really well spent and the story itself has depth  and interesting things going on. As for events, usually only one is ever running at a time, but they’re interesting because they’re always have story to them. No, not like forging bonds where you have to grind to progress. Each event has chapters to clear with an interesting story that develops from the start to the end. Dialogue isn’t wasted either, being actually spent on the story or character interaction. There isn’t any filler text like we see in Heroes so often.

One more thing about events: GBF’s events don’t overlap. They’re also mostly one and done, but you can grind for rewards after if you want. I feel that, in a way, overlapping events kills motivation to participate in FEH’s events. Especially if one has a busy schedule.

Anyway, that’s just my example. Anyone have any others?

In addition to the above, I think FEH would benefit from GBF's special ticket deals which let you get a character of your choice and a full pull for $30. That's extraordinarily generous by FEH standards but that's because FEH is extremely greedy with its 'deals'. Offering such a deal in FEH would encourage normally F2P players to pony up for a character they really like when they never would for the equivalent amount of orbs. GBF is even more generous considering you don't have to bother with natures or pulling more than one copy of a character.

While on the topic of GBF and probably other gacchas, what I don't want to see is excessive grinding (particularly for event exclusive items). I wouldn't mind if there was the option for non-essential resources, like feathers/coins/stones, but it should never be for something essential in order to keep up in the game.

What do you know? Another opportunity for me to gush about Blustone!

That aside, while I don't think that Blustone and Fire Emblem Heroes are a one-to-one compatible with each other (the former is very reliant on you sacrificing units to train and rank up other hunters, and you'll even make elite cannon fodder units both to get more story  out of them and to upgrade your most powerful units without sacrificing another character you really want to keep), there are several things I think Heroes could take from its system:

- The majority of the games cast are 1-3 star hunters, and there are only a tiny handful of 4-star hunters (and you have to earn two of them). No one starts at 5 stars, so no matter who you get, you have to work to level them up. 3 star hunters are good from the start and can only get better, while 1-2 star characters can still be a worthwhile investment and have their own perks (namely, they have the most conversations (which give passive bonuses), and transcending them (combining the same character to give a boost to their stats) is pretty easy to do when compared to the rarer characters).

- There's a "free for all" summoning pool system, where every character, rare or common, can be obtained. There are special events to get certain characters easier (such as a hunter of a specific element or a new hunter added to the game) but those only boost the chance of receiving those characters instead of limiting your total options.

-- On a side note, there is a different cutscene that plays depending on if you've "recruited" a 1-2 star hunter or a 3-4 star one. It's a small, but effective change that makes "recruiting" more exciting.

- You can buy/earn scrolls that guarantee 3-4 star hunters, as well as a scroll that lets you pick a 3-star hunter of your choosing. The latter is the last "play for X amount of days" reward before the cycle repeats.

- You can buy or earn things called traces, and if you have enough of them, you can recruit that character. Understandably, it takes a lot traces to unlock the higher level hunters when compared to the lower ones, and what traces you get from scrolls is random, but it is still an effective way (and for two hunters the only way) to unlock characters without having to rely on the other RNG method.

- Any passive bonuses you get from obtaining another hunter of a certain class or unlocking a conversation is permanent, even if you no longer have the character(s) in question.

- Don't know if Heroes does this, but if a character has an variant for Halloween or Christmas you can still transcend them with the normal version of that character. I admit I don't know how well this would work in Heroes, though, as Blustones alternates are pretty much "they have the exact same skills, but with a different element and different artwork",  and are much rarer to boot.

- Some artwork during certain story sequences, and having short animations play for some special moves. Considering Fire Emblems much more larger cast and how many characters they have to roll out in a short amount of time, though, I can understand why Heroes doesn't do this.

- Actually listening to player feedback regarding the games writing.

-- Also having varied and interesting reasons for why a character is in the defender class, such as being a survival expert instead of a generic tank, having an occupation as a bodyguard, having a "never give up" attitude that lets them make it through the fight, but they tend to end up in a hospital bed afterwards, etc.

That's really about it regarding the Blustones mechanics specifically for Fire Emblem Heroes. Things like how the characters are handled, or how the suppor- I mean "Fate" and "Journey So Far..." conversations are written, to even how some twists could be put on certain archetypes, are something I would like to see explored in a Fire Emblem game proper.

I think the main thing FEH needs is just an easier way to get weapons and skills besides skill inheritance. Maybe special limited maps that give either combat manuals or a new separate inventory that can be used to store weapons and inheritable skills. Heroic grails sorta fix the issue of lacking fodder, but the resource is a bit too limited in my opinion and since you can only get 20 of each hero, it still is finite.

Aside from that, I'd like free friend point gatcha similar to Fate Go to acquire 1-3 star units pretty easily. Ideally it would use stuff like Arena Medals or badges. resources that we have a large amount of. 3-4 star would be ideal, but 1-3 star seems a bit more balanced since these units would give less feathers and fodder, making them an un-ideal replacement for the normal summoning pool. It would make the pain of getting less F2P orbs more bearable in addition to being a semi-permanent source for feathers and fodder.

Apart from that, creating character specific stories like Fate-Go and Dragalia Lost would be cool, but I wouldn't care about them THAT much if I'm being honest and I don't think its necessarily worth the work. Also, I think forging bonds should be changed so that you are using a party of 4 with one of the units the forging bonds is featuring to give players a bigger incentive to pull for the unit.

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

I always hear about how Granblue Fantasy and F/GO have good story-writing that Heroes could take some lessons from. I can't talk about Granblue since I haven't played it, but the thing about F/GO is that it was first and foremost designed as a visual novel with the gameplay being there mostly so that the game would have gameplay and a source of income (paraphrased from an interview from the most recent anniversary, I think). While it wouldn't hurt for Heroes to try to have better story writing, I don't really think it's fair to expect anything close to the writing of F/GO.

And as for the opposite argument that "Heroes is a mobile game (or a gacha game) and shouldn't be expected to have a great story", that's obviously untrue as mobile visual novels can be expected to have the same quality of story writing as they do on other platforms.

As for something that Heroes can take from other gacha games and with F/GO being the only other one I'm reasonably familiar with, I would really like to have something equivalent to their Special Summon functionality, though I'm not sure how it could feasibly be implemented in Heroes.

In F/GO, a character can be "merged" a total of 4 times (thus using 5 copies). If a player pulls a 6th copy of a 5-star character (regardless of if they still have all 5 previous copies), the player is given an item called an Unregistered Spirit Origin (a.k.a. "wheel"). The player will also receive a wheel each time they pull an additional copy after that.

Ten wheels can then be traded at the shop for 1 copy of any 5-star character of the player's choice that is currently available for summoning, either from the standard summoning pools or on a currently running limited banner. Characters in the standard summoning pools can be bought as many times as the player has wheels to pay for them, while limited characters can only be bought once per run of their banner.

This system makes sense in F/GO due to (1) the absurdly low summon rates for 5-star characters and (2) the fact that the 6th copy and subsequent copies of a single character are functionally useless. For number (2), this is because you cannot field more than one of your own copies of a character at a time (the only way to field the same character multiple times is to field a friend's character or a story NPC in the support slot) and because the only things you can really do with multiple copies of a character are to merge them or sell them.

It's a bit more complicated in Heroes because there are still uses for 5-star characters after you have finished merging the character. Except for a few game modes, you can generally field multiple copies of the same unit, and additional copies of units can be used for Skill Inheritance. This means that it probably only makes sense to give out "wheels" when sending 5-star units home rather than when pulling extra copies of 5-star units. Sending home 5-star units that were promoted instead of summoned at that rarity probably should still count simply because 20,000 feathers is still a sizable price for just a single wheel.

The other thing that would have to change is the number of wheels needed for a single summon. Personally, I think the price in F/GO for a single summon is too steep since the 5-star summon rate is a paltry 1% compared to the 6% in Heroes, but I understand why it is what it is since it's basically just a consolation prize for the biggest of whales. In Heroes, I feel like a fair number of wheels for a single summon would be around 20 to 30. If they want to be the same jerk that made F/GO's wheel cost 10, then the price would be between 60 and 80 to have the same 5-star rate to wheel cost ratio.

Do these other gacha games have orbs they could loan us? We could use more orbs these days.

I don't play other games like Heroes. I gave Dragalia Lost a shot but when I saw how much of a time investment it'd be to play, I gave it up. I spend enough time just keeping up with this game's regular events and bonuses, and this game actually has units I care about collecting.

I think it could benefit from having tickets that you could use for summons like Valkyrie Crusade does. I could be wrong, but I think this game's been dependent entirely on orbs to summon, which inconveniences those of us who don't want (or can't afford) to spend too much money on the game.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I always hear about how Granblue Fantasy and F/GO have good story-writing that Heroes could take some lessons from. I can't talk about Granblue since I haven't played it, but the thing about F/GO is that it was first and foremost designed as a visual novel with the gameplay being there mostly so that the game would have gameplay and a source of income (paraphrased from an interview from the most recent anniversary, I think). While it wouldn't hurt for Heroes to try to have better story writing, I don't really think it's fair to expect anything close to the writing of F/GO.

I'm not saying it should have long cutscenes, but they could put more thought into the writing. I think the story is really hurt by releasing chapters only when a new hero banner drops. They should just dump it all at once and have more scenarios/books. TTs could use more writing bcs it's so damn short. Events in the game suffer from a lack of writing. There's only so much gameplay can do, especially a repetitive one that you can auto-battle.

A separate summoning pool with it's own currency like FGO, preferably one that we have massive abundance of. Just put in the launch 3* there and take them out of the regular pool. That'll be a start.

Lesser focus on the competitive aspect would be appreciated. FGO even makes fun of competitive systems in gachas or at least the manga does.

History mode from Langrisser. Basically FE games remade in Heroes format using RD size maps.

I find combat to be much longer and fun in FGO. I think it's time to ditch the regular map sizes. Units nowadays are so busted compared to launch units that they sweep enemies on maps instantly. RD maps as the new norm for map sizes would be appreciated.

Farmable currency.

Give rewards immediately instead of waiting for them. Players feel less rewarded if they have to wait. In FGO you just get your stuff immediately when you can afford it with event currency.

Can we please have Japanse voices with English text.

I'm gonna say it. Break bars for HP. No more cheesing. Or at least the Miracle effect on Tyrfing as a seal on important enemies

Edited by redlight

One of the things that turned me off from FEH was the lack of friend involvement, FGO in particular let people regularly use their friends or random folks units for almost any encounter which both A. Helps newer and even current players, B. allows people to feel a semblance of unity with their friends, C. Allows people to use characters they might not have or get for awhile. 

FEH did kind of do these sorts of things but too slowly and not often enough in comparison to always being a thing. 

Edited by Jedi

This will probably overlap with Heroic Grails a little but an idol game I've been playing allows you to collect these points after every roll called SP. Once you've collected enough SP, you can use it towards picking up SSRs that are in the catalogue (which changes every few weeks or so).

This is especially useful because sometime there are periods where I don't have time to play but there are new cards that I really like but don't have time to grind for. If I have enough SP saved up, I could essentially get a free SSR without missing out on the new gacha or spending on stones. Keep in mind that it takes A LOT of SP to be able to pick up a free card (1800-2000) so it's not like you can get SSRs willy nilly but it still gives you that satisfaction of finally saving up for a card that you've been dreaming for. 

Edited by carefreejules

I'd like to have units that would be demoted just start at 4* on their banner like FGO, to make it more transparent.  Like we had no idea with the beast banners, someone could have whaled for Reyson or not pulled for Kaden thinking he'd get demoted.

Edited by Nowi's Husband

The only other gachas I play are Fate/Grand Order (NA and JP) and Magia Record.

• Even if it doesn't go to the same tier as Fate/Grand Order or Magia Record, the game really, really needs more writing.  An entire book in FEH is less than one chapter in F/GO or MagiReco.  And F/GO and MagiReco have Interludes/Puella Magi stories for individual units and events have full stories as well.  This is the BIG thing FEH needs to take from other gachas.  Writing matters.  A lot.
    • And honestly, characters should be sold on character first, stats second.  FEH doesn't bother much with selling characters, though Forging bonds does try and it did massively improve from the Laguz one on.  
    • Also also, the old characters and the new ones should be involved in the plot.  The old characters in FEH's role in the plot can be summed up as "yeah we had a contract forced on us, let's fight now."  Give them something to actually do and endear us to them.
  • Something along the lines for FP summoning would be nice for cleaning out the lower rarity pools.  
  • I'd say something about unit strengthening but... they did that (and butchered it) with Dragonflowers.  It's kind of annoying when they give you something you wanted but mess it up so badly.  
  • Make seals work more like CE or Memoria in terms of how they are equipped.  In other words, by team based seal equipping.  
  • Magia Record has a system where you can buy memoria slots (merges) for units whose default rarity is 3* (functional equivalent of a FGO 4*) or below.  So something like that would be nice for merge projects.
  • Less emphasis on seasonal units.  They are fun IN MODERATION.  FGO only releases "seasonal" alts for Summer, Halloween, and Christmas.  Magia Record for Summer, Christmas, and New Years.  I do appreciate FEH letting men have seasonals though as this is my big issue with how FGO handles them.

5 hours ago, redlight said:

A separate summoning pool with it's own currency like FGO, preferably one that we have massive abundance of. Just put in the launch 3* there and take them out of the regular pool. That'll be a start.

I find combat to be much longer and fun in FGO. I think it's time to ditch the regular map sizes. Units nowadays are so busted compared to launch units that they sweep enemies on maps instantly. RD maps as the new norm for map sizes would be appreciated.

I'm gonna say it. Break bars for HP. No more cheesing. Or at least the Miracle effect on Tyrfing as a seal on important enemies

I keep seeing people reference the size of RD’s maps. Haven’t played it yet, so would you mind explaining? Also what are break bars?

I really love this idea for a fodder pool by the way.

9 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

In addition to the above, I think FEH would benefit from GBF's special ticket deals which let you get a character of your choice and a full pull for $30. That's extraordinarily generous by FEH standards but that's because FEH is extremely greedy with its 'deals'. Offering such a deal in FEH would encourage normally F2P players to pony up for a character they really like when they never would for the equivalent amount of orbs. GBF is even more generous considering you don't have to bother with natures or pulling more than one copy of a character.

The price definitely could be dropped next time they run another bundle. Those $100 ones were a joke. How are those tickets obtained in GBF by the way? Also, do you think something like the spark system would transfer to FEH well?

Edited by Arcphoenix

10 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Also what are break bars?

Break Bars are a mechanic in FGO where a boss will have multiple pools of health.  Upon emptying one, you cannot do any more damage to them that turn, and they may more may not activate some skill or effect upon the start of their turn.  Example.

13 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I keep seeing people reference the size of RD’s maps. Haven’t played it yet, so would you mind explaining? Also what are break bars?

I'm assuming in this case "RD" means "Rival Domains," not Radiant Dawn.

16 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I keep seeing people reference the size of RD’s maps. Haven’t played it yet, so would you mind explaining?

I assume he's referring to the Rival Domains game mode, where the maps are 8 by 10 squares.

@redlight I'd rather not because tapping on the right square on a tiny screen is kind of a pain.

16 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Also what are break bars?

Many of the newer bosses in F/GO have multiple HP bars that prevent the player from killing them in a single turn. Any damage they take after the bar reaches zero HP doesn't spill over into the next HP bar, and the next HP bar doesn't become active until the end of the turn.

@redlight I don't think that'll work in Heroes. Bulky units already get a lot of flak for being too hard to kill.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Friend list involvement for one. FGO and Langrisser both have this in different ways. FGO is more passive, having people on your friend's list lets you access their characters in the form of a support slot. You can do this with randoms, but you get the benefits of accessing their Noble Phantasms, or ultimate ability for those unfamiliar with Fate, if they are on your friend list.

Langrisser is much more active, letting you actually group up and do content together. Each player brings 2 or 3 characters along, and you take on the map in a turn based fashion.

Another thing it could use is a restructuring of its rolling system. After playing different gachas, I realized how.....screwed up FEH's system truly is. On paper it sounds nice, choosing the colors you want and all, but most other gachas do it differntly. You either spend for a single role, or you spend for a multi roll. From what I have noticed, the multi role is 10 rolls typically. Langrisser it costs 10 of their currency to do it, and 1 for a single, and for FGO its 3 for a single, 30 for a multi. Both of these ways for one, guarantee a 4* of some type. FGO has a catch that its either a 4* CE or Servant, Langrisser is a 4* Hero.

This format tends to yield more in my experience, and wastes less. FEH's system encourages you to go for the full summon session, but because of the pity break system, the randomization of the orbs, and the odd costs of it all, people end up sniping instead until they see a full round they like. It causes a lot to get wasted, even other 5*s considering every orb is predetermined when you launch that session. People have probably wasted countless 5* characters due to this system, let alone countless orbs due to the sniping. I think FEH could really use the overhaul.

At the very least it should make the orbs static, and have one of each color required every session, with an extra random color tossed in. That might be a better fix outside of a complete overhaul.

Things to actually grind for. Every gacha I have played ropes you into content with gear and items. They encourage you to do things by giving you decent rewards. Most of FEH's content, outside of the limited time content like TT, FB, etc, do not do this. You only get orbs for doing chapters, and are done with them after maybe 5 minutes. Nobody uses the Training Tower anymore outside of maybe some grinding for badges, but we get so many of those its just not needed. And outside of that, there is no repeatable content that just costs stamina. The others are limited behind Aether or Dueling crests or whatever other form of secondary stamina they come up with.

Instead, FGO has a ton of maps that offer ascension materials, ascension being their form of promotions, XP cards, QP which is the currency used for upgrading, etc. They have valuable resources and tie them to content to encourage you to actually play the game. Langrisser does almost the exact same with its content.

Actual events. FEH has no events. And what it calls events are just a glorified banner with a simple TT thrown in if you are lucky. FGO has a full event going right now with its own story, a free character, a banner with an additional tie in character, and tons of rewards to farm up. Events in FGO are rarely something you want to miss due to how much they give the players during them, and even moreso because of the writing behind the events. The events are 90% of the time fluff. Its fun silly writing, but Ive had the most fun with gachas reading through the events, it makes them memorable. I actually have a bit of a nostalgic feeling hearing the FGO Christmas music from the first Christmas event because it was a memorable experience for me.

FEH doesnt have any of that, especially the writing. I think the best we ever got was the Valentine's chapter from last year. FEH really needs to actually have events in some fashion, outside of a simple banner and TT. Have an event shop in some fashion, give us special event quests, give us an actual short *book* of chapters with an event. Give players a reason to actually be excited for seasonal banners, FEH is the only game I have seen where people are actually pissed off by them (granted part of that is because of the overabundance of them), most of the time people are excited to see what they do this next time because its just fun content.

Edited by Tolvir

I think the way how the banners are handled is not the best approach.Having banners where units can be obtained on higher rarity - no thank you. Having more focus banners would be appreciated, since some units haven't seen a focus banner for more than 8 months (Ayra), and seasonal units cannot be obtained outside of focus banners; so if you want them for their weapon or something, you need to wait forever for their rerun. Correct me on this, but I believe only Heroes handles seasonal units this way.

I believe I also saw some gacha games having systems where you can trade some items into other ones - for example in Heroes case, it'd be nice if Shards could be exchanged into Crystals, or Arena Medals into coins or refining stones. If the items are just piling up and we'll never use them, what's the point of having them?

Also, while I think the Allies menu needs a complete redesign, a filter would be really helpful on the selection screen - like we could filter in Skill Inheritance for skills, but instead we could filter for moves, weapons, rarity, blessings, and so on. Simple idea, other gacha games have it.

Heroes is also short on daily resources. Gacha games tend to have daily quests, and daily maps - which might switch depending on which day of the week we currently have. All we really have daily is a few shards, crystals and feathers; plus the only weekly rewards are the ones from Rival Domains, Arena, AA and Aether Raids. Everything else is pretty much a one-timer, even when existing modes are getting extra maps. Also, they could really mix up the Lv1 and Lv2 character reward maps for other Gen1 units - if they done a map for every character in Heroic Ordeals, they can surely pull it off for more units on the Battle Rotation. I'm sure new player would appreciate these units, plus these units would still need feathers to make them viable fodder or squad members.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

@redlight I don't think that'll work in Heroes. Bulky units already get a lot of flak for being too hard to kill.

If not break bars, which I do admit can be difficult for the weaker hitting units, then Tyrfing's Miracle like effect as an enemy only sacred seal

7 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Correct me on this, but I believe only Heroes handles seasonal units this way.

F/GO has its event character banners run once during the original event and once during the rerun of the event. The non-seasonal event characters might appear again on banners for other events where they play a role in the story. Otherwise, they just fall into the void and might appear on an n-million downloads celebration banner or New Year's banner sometime down the road. This is particularly notable for summer event characters because they never appear on banners for other events and are only ever rerun on n-million downloads celebrations or New Year's banners.

There have been a few non-seasonal characters (Jeanne Alter and Brynhildr being the most notable recent cases) that had more than a year between banners.

Collaboration events also include a brand new character in the rerun (mostly to get players to pull on the banner even if they already have everything from the original run of the event), and we've yet to see if these characters will ever be rerun again and how.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This is particularly notable for summer event characters because they never appear on banners for other events and are only ever rerun on n-million downloads celebrations or New Year's banners.

This isn't true anymore, Summer Martha appeared on the banner for the Christmas event with Santa Quetzalcoatl and Bradamente.

3 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

This isn't true anymore, Summer Martha appeared on the banner for the Christmas event with Santa Quetzalcoatl and Bradamente.

Oh. Right. I forgot they finally made an event where a previous summer character was part of the story. That said, it's still probably unlikely for most summer characters to get such a chance.

I second the suggestion for a history mode. Heroes is nice for people who've played the games, but otherwise, you simply don't learn enough about the characters in Heroes itself. Forging Bonds sort of fixes this, but it's only for every other new banner--and isn't applied retrospectively.

Alternatively, something akin to Granblue's Fate Episodes or Dragalia's Adventurer's Stories. Which are basically proper support conversations for every character. TBH, it's kinda embarrassing since most of the modern FEs already had support conversations. So I dunno why they didn't bother in the first place.

Otherwise, I'd love if Heroes copied Dragalia and introduced 3-star and 4-star focus Heroes on new banners. This helps to bring in the less desirable characters that still have fans, while improving the currently crappy 3 and 4-star pools. Annoyingly, as I type this, the latest Dragalia banner has no 3 and 4-stars and it sucks.

I played a bit of Valkyrie Crusade a long time ago, and I like their base building aspect of it. Aether Raids sort of provides that, but I wish base building could affect more than just combat. Some buildings could provide a passive generation of resources (hopefully including Orbs, Grails, and Dew), some could provide quality of life improvements like giving more SP or Merit during battle, and I really want some sort of building that can help players manage their Friend List and expand social options like having guilds and maybe chat rooms.

I have also played a bit of Armor Blitz, and I like how they made all skills shareable, like Sacred Seals in Heroes but it is for all skill slots instead of just the Sacred Seal slot. It will probably reduce revenue if implemented in Heroes, but it is a huge quality of life improvement where players do not have to worry about running out of fodder.

From what I have seen from Langrisser, I like their inclusion of soldiers so it plays a little bit like Advance Wars. I also like how their characters can class change. It would be nice to change some of my infantry archers to flying archers and melee units to ranged units.

I also wish you can Summoner Support multiple Heroes like how you can marry multiple partners in most waifu/husbando games.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd rather not because tapping on the right square on a tiny screen is kind of a pain.

Langrisser made the map scrollable, so maybe that could help?

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Langrisser made the map scrollable, so maybe that could help?

It seems kind of silly to make a map scroll only 2 squares in each direction. If scrolling in implemented, I'd expect maps larger than Rival Domains maps to actually make it a worthwhile addition, but that kind of takes away from the compact, mobile feel that Heroes has going.

Edited by Ice Dragon