Random thought; What if Sakurai made an SSB64 remake instead of Ultimate?

Perkilator

Just as the title says; what if Sakurai made a full-on remake of SSB64 for the Switch instead of Ultimate for the series’ 20th anniversary? Here’s my wishlist of characters and stages if this were ever to be real (characters in bold are characters that were planed/rumored for the original game.):

Spoiler

(*=unlockable; §=not accessible in normal gameplay)

Veterans:

-Mario

-Luigi*

-Bowser*

-Donkey Kong

-Link

-Samus

-Yoshi

-Kirby

-King Dedede*

-Fox

-Pikachu

-Jigglypuff*

-Mewtwo*

-Ness*

-Captain Falcon*

-Marth*

-Master Hand§

Newcomers (all*):

-Celica

-Ridley

-Simon Belmont

-King K. Rool

-Ayumi Tachibana

-Meowth

-Mach Rider

-Piranha Plant (DLC)

-Cecil Harvey (DLC)

-Skull Kid (DLC)

-Takamaru (DLC)

-Marx (DLC)

-Banjo-Kazooie (DLC)

Stages:

-Peach’s Castle

-Mushroom Kingdom*

-Bowser’s Castle

-Congo Jungle

-25m*

-Hyrule Castle

-Death Mountain*

-Planet Zebes

-Yoshi’s Island

-Dream Land

-Sector Z

-Saffron City

-Ushimitsu High School

-Temple of Mila*

-Dracula’s Castle*

-Battlefield§

-Final Destination§

-The Moon from FFIV (DLC)

-Clock Town (DLC)

-Murasame Castle (DLC)

-Milky Way Wishes (DLC)

-Spiral Mountain (DLC)

I feel like that's what a lot of people want at this point.  Basically a dial-back on all the things they did so that they don't have to deal with a major cluster-f*** of a roster with every new entry.

That said, I'd be lying if I claimed that I wouldn't want Lucina to stay.  I mean, if she was replaced with Lyn, I wouldn't be too broken up about it if they made her fun to play (kind of like how she is in Warriors), but Lucina's kinda my favorite lord in the series and Marth's only maybe in the top 5 or 7 (right with the other lords that I'm neutral towards).  I'd also appreciate if the game had more female characters.  Nintendo has plenty to draw from in that department, it was a shame that Samus was the only one in the original game.  Unless Master Hand has secretly been female this whole time.

And if anything, what I want is more a remake of Melee.  I mean, not necessarily in a mechanical sense, but in terms of roster and game modes.  Get back to what made the Smash games a real hit with the classic stuff and sizable yet still manageable roster.  SSB64 was nice and all, but I feel it's too barebones for what gamers expect nowadays.  I still want some kind of adventure/story-esque mode, and I definitely still want event match to be a thing.

As someone who was really butthurt about not having Snake in 4 I really wish this doesn't happen.

I was ecstatic when they announced Roy as DLC and I am not a huge Melee fan because a lot of friends love him in Melee (we play mostly casual or casualy competitive).

Don't get me wrong the roster is massive (even though is suprisingly balanced) and is beginning to be uncontrollable so something must be done sooner or later (as much as I dislike it most likely means cut characters).

Ps: If I can choose one to not be cut in future games my choice would be Lucina for two reasons, I can't tipper worth crap (but I like the moveset) and she is my favorite Lord and one of my favorite characters overall. (sorry Eliwood you are cool too).

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Basically a dial-back on all the things they did so that they don't have to deal with a major cluster-f*** of a roster with every new entry.

Sakurai did say that everyone returning would be a one-time thing. So expect most of the roster to not return in the next entry.

I definitely still want event match to be a thing.

It was called "World of Light".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Hmm, kind of a "what if" scenario where Smash 64 had a full development budget? It would be cool if they did something like that today, complete with N64-style polygonal graphics. They could even release special edition copies on authentic N64 cartridges, packaged with N64 consoles and controllers. Or shoot, what if Nintendo did an N64 Classic that featured this new deluxe version of Super Smash Bros. as its headline title, kinda like SNES Classic did with Star Fox 2!?

Super Smash Bros. Ultra 64!

They could include third-party content as a token of good will towards the companies who still supported them back then, like Capcom and Konami, not to mention maybe include Cloud and Sonic out of irony. The only hard rule for reps would have to be that they existed during the N64 era, and that their series has gotten a Nintendo release at some point (*cough*FFVII*cough*).

* = Unlockable

Fighters

1. Mario
  2. Luigi*
  3. Peach*/εDaisy*
  4. Bowser*
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Diddy Kong*
  7. Dixie Kong*
  8. DK Crew (Tiny/Lanky/Chunky)*
  9. King K. Rool*
  10. Wario*
  11. Waluigi*
  12. Link
  13. Zelda*
  14. Sheik*/εImpa*
  15. Ganondorf*
  16. Young Link*
  17. Darunia*
  18. Ruto*
  19. Skull Kid*
  20. Samus Aran
  21. Ridley*
  22. Kirby
  23. King Dedede*
  24. Meta Knight*
  25. Yoshi
  26. Fox McCloud
  27. Falco Lombardi*
  28. Wolf O'Donnell*
  29. Pikachu
  30. Pokemon Trainer*
  31. Meowth*
  32. Jigglypuff*
  33. Mewtwo*
  34. Pichu*
  35. Marth*
  36. Caeda*
  37. Ness*
  38. Captain Falcon*
  39. Villager*
  40. Ice Climbers*
  41. Mr. Game & Watch*
  42. R.O.B.*
  43. Duck Hunt*
  44. Solid Snake*
  45. Sonic the Hedgehog/εShadow the Hedgehog*
  46. Knuckles the Echidna*
  47. Pac-Man*
  48. Cloud Strife*
  49. Ryu*/εKen*
  50. X & Zero*
  51. Mega Man (MML)*
  52. Reinhardt Schneider*
  53. Banjo-Kazooie*

Stages

1. Peach's Castle
  2. Airship*
  3. Wario Stadium*
  4. Mushroom Kingdom*
  5. Jungle Hijinxs
  6. Gangplank Galleon*
  7. Hyrule Castle
  8. Kakariko Village*
  9. Lost Woods*
  10. Lake Hylia*
  11. Death Mountain*
  12. Brinstar
  13. Norfair*
  14. Dreamland
  15. Halberd*
  16. Yoshi's Story
  17. Corneria
  18. Venom*
  19. Pokemon Stadium
  20. Castle Siege*
  21. Onett*
  22. Mute City*
  23. Summit*
  24. Flat Zone*
  25. Smashville*
  26. Shadow Moses Island*
  27. Station Square*
  28. Midgar*
  29. Suzaku Castle*
  30. Hunter Base*
  31. Flutter*
  32. Dracula's Castle*
  33. Gruntilda's Lair*

How's that for a Smash 64? :D: Of course all Banjo-Kazooie content would probably have to be cut unless Nintendo cut a deal with Microsoft. But hey, dream list!

Edited by Lord_Brand

If I had to guess what the next Smash Bros. roster is going to be like, at least in terms of returning characters, my most conservative guess would be they'd only keep the most relevant characters to whatever games Nintendo is making at the time with the exception of the original 12 because tradition. Obviously a lot could happen between now and then, but if it was decided tomorrow the roster would probably look something like this:

Spoiler
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Yoshi
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. Link
  9. Zelda
  10. Ganondorf
  11. Toon Link
  12. Samus
  13. Zero Suit Samus
  14. Ridley
  15. Kirby
  16. Meta Knight
  17. King Dedede
  18. Fox
  19. Pikachu
  20. Jigglypuff
  21. Mewtwo
  22. Pokemon Trainer
  23. Captain Falcon
  24. Ness
  25. Marth/Lucina
  26. Ike
  27. Robin
  28. Corrin
  29. Pit
  30. Wario
  31. Olimar
  32. Villager
  33. Isabelle
  34. Shulk
  35. Inkling

Also I decided to exclude third-party characters since there's always a level of uncertainty depending on the company.

8 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

my most conservative guess would be they'd only keep the most relevant characters to whatever games Nintendo is making at the time

So why are Zero Suit Samus, Shulk and Corrin on your list? Also, how is Bowser Jr "not relevant" when he's a 2D Mario mainstay?

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So why are Zero Suit Samus, Shulk and Corrin on your list? Also, how is Bowser Jr "not relevant" when he's a 2D Mario mainstay?

Metroid is a pretty important franchise for Nintendo so I think it needs Zero Suit Samus for just a little extra representation over other less important franchises. Xenoblade Chronicles has really started to take off as a franchise with the huge success of Xenoblade 2 on the Switch and I don't think it'll be slowing down anytime soon. Though Fates is pretty controversial among Fire Emblem games it's huge presence in games like FE: Warriors and FE: Heroes communicates to me that it's still a big money maker. Lastly, while Bowser Jr. has been a pretty consistent main stay in the recent Mario games, he's not really a character you'd immediately think off when talking about Mario, at least not compared to the likes of Luigi, Peach, and Bowser Senior.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:18 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

Metroid is a pretty important franchise for Nintendo so I think it needs Zero Suit Samus for just a little extra representation over other less important franchises.

Not when it sells less than most other franchises it doesn't, especially say, Donkey Kong (which I noticed that you cut back down to both DK and Diddy).

Just make it the Original 12, please. No new characters unless we're talking 'enhanced remake' like Kirby Super Star Ultra or the new Resident Evil 2. Even then, I'd be much more excited seeing Melee-Brawl vets be 'reverse-adapted' within the confines of Smash 64, or a 'director's cut' feat. the cut Nintendo characters rumored around its development.

But even if we're going for a remaster, what necessitates replicating to the unadulterated state of Smash 64? I'd imagine if the weight, movement, etc. isn't borderline-exact to the original, not only would Smash pros have an awkward time accommodating it, but the essence of what made the original great isn't even at a baseline where players can pick it up & know what to expect. You're better off making a brand new game otherwise.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:13 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Not when it sells less than most other franchises it doesn't, especially say, Donkey Kong (which I noticed that you cut back down to both DK and Diddy).

Do you expect Captain Falcon, Ness, & Marth to be cut next game?