XRay

That One Ingredient/Item That Is Always Served with in a Dish/Combo That You Do Not Want

Recommended Posts

Another food thread! I think I need a midnight snack.

Anyways, back to the title. You know, that one food that may or may not ruin a dish or combo, that for some reason people think it goes well with?

While I do not hate biscuits, I am no fan of biscuits. Is it edible? Yeah, barely. Is it bland, dry, tasteless, and a total waste of money and stomach space? Totally is. I am sick and tired of dealing with it when I eat out at Church's Chicken, KFC, and Popeye's. I ordered an 8 piece bucket yesterday from KFC and it comes with 4 fucking biscuits, FOUR!!! I cannot just hand them back the biscuits since it then feels like I am not getting my money's worth of food, and I do not want to just throw it in the trash either since that is worse and just being plain wasteful. I ate half the chicken and half the sides in one sitting and I had not made a move on the biscuits yet. I took one bite and I am like "Fuck this shit!", I just cannot eat it as it is. This morning, a bright idea came to mind: I still have canned gravy in my food cupboard and I doused those 4 suckers in meat nectar, and I break the biscuits a bit so the gravy would soak the insides too. When I took a bite, finally, the biscuits are no longer some bland, dry crap that torments my taste buds.

I hate plain white rice. It is basically biscuits but dial it up to 12 to the 12th power. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bland and textureless. You thought biscuits was bad? Try eating rice with almost every fucking dinner for the first dozen or so years of your life until you learn how to cook your own food. I did not mind rice as a kid, but as I got older and had more spending money to eat a variety of stuff, the tyrannical monotony of plain white rice became unbearable. It is in almost every freaking main dish on every Asian menu. I sub it with brown rice if I can. Even if they have only plain white rice, I guess it is not a huge deal when they serve it the entree with the rice on one plate since I can just mix them together so the rice is no longer plain. However, I do have a problem when they separate the rice into bowl away from the entree. Take Thai curry for example, when I order it at a restaurant, a lot of times they give you the rice in a separate bowl and I sort of feel lost on what to do. I assume the proper etiquette is to spoon a bit of curry into your bowl and then eat a bite of the rice with some curry on top, however I normally just pour the bland shit into the curry bowl and mix the whole thing up and then eat it. When I do that though, I feel like I am doing something wrong, like how it is uncouth to pour soy sauce on plain rice (I do it anyways if put in that situation, fuck what people think, I am not putting that plain crap in my mouth), and it gives the impression that you are a child or something.

I hate shiitake mushrooms more than white rice, but it is not as pervasive as biscuits and white rice. Shiitake tastes like crap and the texture makes me gag; while rice is just a bland mush, at least it does not make diarrhea come out of my mouth like shiitake mushrooms do. I get really annoyed when I go to a ramen house and a good portion of the ramen has shiitake mushrooms. Sadly though, I cannot really think of a real way to handle shiitake mushrooms other than to just man up and swallow it without chewing.

Okay, that is the end of my rant. I just want to get it off my chest. Next time, I think I will ask them if they can replace the boring biscuits with another side.

What are you sick of eating lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Onion.

I have not gotten over the texture and taste of it. I actively avoid cooking with it, pick it out if I can and ask to remove it when ordering (Red onion's worse). The weird thing is that I can live with the flavour, to some degree (stuff like crisps, where it isn't the whole flavour), the texture of onion just is something I never like.

29 minutes ago, XRay said:

While I do not hate biscuits, I am no fan of biscuits. Is it edible? Yeah, barely. Is it bland, dry, tasteless, and a total waste of money and stomach space? Totally is. I am sick and tired of dealing with it when I eat out at Church's Chicken, KFC, and Popeye's. I ordered an 8 piece bucket yesterday from KFC and it comes with 4 fucking biscuits, FOUR!!! I cannot just hand them back the biscuits since it then feels like I am not getting my money's worth of food, and I do not want to just throw it in the trash either since that is worse and just being plain wasteful. I ate half the chicken and half the sides in one sitting and I had not made a move on the biscuits yet. I took one bite and I am like "Fuck this shit!", I just cannot eat it as it is. This morning, a bright idea came to mind: I still have canned gravy in my food cupboard and I doused those 4 suckers in meat nectar, and I break the biscuits a bit so the gravy would soak the insides too. When I took a bite, finally, the biscuits are no longer some bland, dry crap that torments my taste buds.

I'm confused. Are these supposed to be digestive biscuits? If so, why are they being served with a chicken bucket (it's certainly not a thing over here)? I've heard of these before and it never made sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I share the same hate for (especially white) rice as you.

I don't know how it works out there but here we eat a lot, A REALLY LOT, of rice, especially white. Meat+Rice, Pasta+Rice, Soup+Rice, Beans+Rice, FREAKING CANDY+RICE (we call it sugar rice or whatever), if you can name it, it can be eaten with rice.

Every damn ''eat time'' in my family has this little guy on it, normally it tastes like nothing and it's just there because someone wanted salt on the food (even if there's like, 3 more foods at the table that also use salt) or to ''absorb'' the soup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also dislike rice and have a general phobia of Asian food despite being half-Thai.  This is in stark contrast to my sister, who has infinitely more Asian pride than I ever will.

The coleslaw that the Box Combo at Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers comes with is the main reason I go out of my way to order a 3 Finger Combo with an extra finger.  Honestly I could just throw the coleslaw away, but I feel bad about wasting food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm confused. Are these supposed to be digestive biscuits? If so, why are they being served with a chicken bucket (it's certainly not a thing over here)? I've heard of these before and it never made sense to me.

They are North American biscuits; the UK and everyone else call them scones.

Spoiler

G15022_KFC_BucketMeal_RGB-copy.jpg

What everyone else call biscuits, we North Americans call them cookies.

Spoiler

 

087d17eb-500e-4b26-abd1-4f9ffa96a2c6.jpg

 

 

2 hours ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

I guess I share the same hate for (especially white) rice as you.

I don't know how it works out there but here we eat a lot, A REALLY LOT, of rice, especially white. Meat+Rice, Pasta+Rice, Soup+Rice, Beans+Rice, FREAKING CANDY+RICE (we call it sugar rice or whatever), if you can name it, it can be eaten with rice.

Every damn ''eat time'' in my family has this little guy on it, normally it tastes like nothing and it's just there because someone wanted salt on the food (even if there's like, 3 more foods at the table that also use salt) or to ''absorb'' the soup.

Yeah, I started cooking for myself around high school since I just cannot stand the plain white rice anymore. My mom switched to brown rice since I moved back home, so if I wanted to save money and eat at home instead of eating out, it is a lot more bearable. Brown rice does not taste like much either, but the texture is a whole lot better as it is a bit more chewy which I assume comes from the fiber.

In the United States, there are generally not a lot of rice dishes when you eat out unless you specifically pick Asian or Mexican restaurants. For non-Asian restaurants, I am generally fine with whatever rice dish they have since they season it and actually take the time to make it taste like something, such as dirty rice, jambalaya, Spanish rice, rice pilaf, etc.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I also dislike rice and have a general phobia of Asian food despite being half-Thai.  This is in stark contrast to my sister, who has infinitely more Asian pride than I ever will.

The coleslaw that the Box Combo at Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers comes with is the main reason I go out of my way to order a 3 Finger Combo with an extra finger.  Honestly I could just throw the coleslaw away, but I feel bad about wasting food.

Yeah, I feel guilty wasting food, so I generally try to clean the plate even if it is something I dislike, and I will know better to not order that dish the next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, XRay said:

They are North American biscuits; the UK and everyone else call them scones.

What everyone else call biscuits, we North Americans call them cookies.

>Scones are biscuits.

>Scones are dumped in gravy.

That is cursed.

Cookies being the name of all biscuits is strange but scones in gravy ain't right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garlic makes everything taste awful, with the exception of Garlic Bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Garlic makes everything taste awful, with the exception of Garlic Bread.

You take that back this instant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

>Scones are biscuits.

>Scones are dumped in gravy.

That is cursed.

Cookies being the name of all biscuits is strange but scones in gravy ain't right.

I got the idea from Southern cuisine, except it is usually done with country gravy/sausage gravy. I do not have any country gravy, so I just used regular old gravy. It tastes pretty good.

I used to work with a fellow intern from the UK when I was in New York, and I enjoyed talking with him since there are often fun little miscommunication between British English and American English. I would be pretty thrilled instead of embarrassed to show off my pants in public in the UK.

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Garlic makes everything taste awful, with the exception of Garlic Bread.

I love garlic. I sometimes eat a few cloves of it raw when I cook to get a small kick of heat and spice.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You take that back this instant.

FOOD FIGHT!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Southerny Boy, I am contractually obligated to like biscuits. That being said, I have very rarely wanted to eat more than one biscuit at a time.

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

I got the idea from Southern cuisine, except it is usually done with country gravy/sausage gravy. I do not have any country gravy, so I just used regular old gravy. It tastes pretty good.

I will confirm that gravy is a massive improvement, enough that I might even eat two biscuits. I would probably not eat a gravy that wasn't fresh made, though.

Part of the problem with biscuits is how these chicken chains give you plain biscuits alongside a healthy portion of fried chicken. It's hard to compete with fried chicken for stomach space, and biscuits are fairly filling. To properly enjoy a biscuit, you need to have some gravy or a slice of something- country ham, tomato...onion.

We do have "scones" in the United States, but they're a sweet pastry. I'm pretty sure the texture / dough is different than what we call "biscuits."

***

While I actually like white rice, I can say that I personally don't enjoy mushrooms or seafood. Tuna on a sandwhich is an exception, but the thing about tuna is that it's often cooked to the point of no longer tasting like fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely despise tomatoes, so tomatoes in salad or on a burger is a big no-go for me. It's weird to chew, and it just tastes gross to me. It's not sweet, it's not bitter, it's not sour, it's just... gross. What's ironic is that I love ketchup and I can tolerate tomato sauce, but tomatoes by themselves ain't it, chief.

I know that tomatoes are technically classified as a fruit, but I understand why some people would think it's a vegetable. Some vegetables are gross, and tomatoes are gross. It all connects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike Onions, and I always order dishes with them removed, mostly on burgers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They serve scones at KFC? ...I can't even imagine it.

Anyways, for me, and this is normally in regards to desserts, it's nuts. Every. Single. Time.

I can order a trifle expecting it to be topped with chocolate sprinkles. Nope. It's almond flakes instead. Want a chocolate cake? Here it is with a hazelnut filling. Just, no. Any kind of nut, except for coconut if it counts, is foul.

 

As for a proper main course, it's garden peas. I can order a toad in the hole and be really excited for it, only to see that they've put the garden peas inside the yorkshire pudding already, and it just kills every ounce of joy I have. Same if I order a traditional Sunday dinner, it's always garden peas. Do they not have any other vegetable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not like cilantro. It shocks my palette too much. I like banh mi but the ones I get always comes with cilantro so I have to pick it out and throw it away.

Can't say I hate white rice but it really does need something to go with it. Easiest thing is soy sauce and fried eggs. You can always stir fry it with some tomatoes, onions, and shrimp though.

Edited by Flying Shogi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here there's a government benefit for university students called " Beca JUNAEB" which is basically like a credit card that has a monthly charge of $40000 (Chilean Pesos) that you can only spend on restaurants. Previously, you could buy any food you wanted, from hamburgers to sushi, but you had to spend at least $1300 if you wanted to buy something, which was unfair when you only wanted to buy a soda that was $500 and wanted to save that money.

Now, they removed that condition but you can't buy whatever food you want on the menu, because of those goverment's claims that people are eating unhealthy food rather than healthy and very expensive "softer" foodstuffs, every restaurant made this "Menú JUNAEB" in which there's some sandwiches or salads are the only thing you can buy with this benefit, they also come with a light or zero version of the soda and a thing we refer here as a "compota" (it's like mashed fruit) instead of french fries. I hate it so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I'm having a burger at one of the diners I need to remember to say no pickle and coleslaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I could eat almost anything, it was raisins in baked goods (especially bread pudding) and cilantro in anything.

Raisins are a half-decent snack on their own, assuming that I want to pick the skins off of my teeth over the next hour.  But in baked goods, they either come out drier than my humor (oatmeal cookies with raisins in them), or they turn into this half-constituted grape abomination that will be outlawed should I ever take over the world.  The latter is best seen/felt in bread pudding that has raisins in it.

Cilantro is like That One Person who speaks above everyone else, redirects conversations to themselves, and will NOT SHUT UP NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TOLD THEM TO HELLO ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?  Instead of eating some food flavored with cilantro, I get a mouthful of cilantro with the texture of whatever it was supposed to accompany.  This is gross and wrong.  Cilantro tastes stupidly bitter.  I wouldn't call it soapy, because soap tastes better.

Nowadays, it's anything that makes me sick.  Unfortunately, the list is really long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuts.

Just.... nuts.

love peanut butter, but I hate nuts, and I don't know why, it might just be a texture thing.

I feel like I should add I'm a notoriously picky eater, except when it comes to things like candy, other sweets, and tea.

Speaking of tea, and I'm not sure if this 100% counts, but sometimes the teabag in my tea breaks and gets all of the leaves in the cup and I just.

Fucking gag at the mental image, it's gross, and I can't exactly notice it real well because my mug is black, but I put a bunch of creamer in my tea, so I can at least slightly notice it, kinda.

And, even though I've had it once: grits.

gagged when I first tried grits, but I have a really sensitive gag reflex (that's what she said) that kicks in when I try to swallow pills, so it might have been a mix of disgust and my reflex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regular cabbage I am fine with Asian cabbage because it does not taste as strong but regular cabbage is something I don't like at all.  Sadly my dad Loves regular cabbage and since I live with my parents, even though I do the cooking I am forced to cook and eat regular cabbage even though it makes me sick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Garlic makes everything taste awful, with the exception of Garlic Bread.

...Please tell me that I mistranslated this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You take that back this instant.

I refuse.

11 minutes ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

...Please tell me that I mistranslated this.

Garlic bread is fine, as bread itself doesn't have much in the way of flavour, but garlic in a cooked meal just overpowers everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hatin' on peas, onions, nuts, and biscuits- Y'all fish eatin' freaks ain't got no taste.

Here's my message to y'all cilantro haters- you know what else overwhelms a dish and makes it taste disgusting if you add to much? Salt. Garlic. Basically anything. I don't know if you make the food yourself or get cilantro at a restaurant, but don't confuse too much cilantro with cilantro being bad.

 

6 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

And, even though I've had it once: grits.

gagged when I first tried grits, but I have a really sensitive gag reflex (that's what she said) that kicks in when I try to swallow pills, so it might have been a mix of disgust and my reflex.

Y'all really do have no taste. Not liking grits- unacceptable! Grits are a southern delicacy, a staple of down home cuisine, one of the most classic dishes which any American is able to enjoy both the traditional and consumption- unless it's got those nasty shrimps, off course.

8 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Now, they removed that condition but you can't buy whatever food you want on the menu, because of those goverment's claims that people are eating unhealthy food rather than healthy and very expensive "softer" foodstuffs, every restaurant made this "Menú JUNAEB" in which there's some sandwiches or salads are the only thing you can buy with this benefit, they also come with a light or zero version of the soda and a thing we refer here as a "compota" (it's like mashed fruit) instead of french fries. I hate it so much.

Dag-blame gub'ment try'n'a make people eat healthy. Not even those outside the States are safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I HATE Shrimp, but I love Sushi and in Sushi restaurants over here, Shrimp is like in EVERY dish which makes it difficult to enjoy sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

 

Y'all really do have no taste. Not liking grits- unacceptable! Grits are a southern delicacy, a staple of down home cuisine, one of the most classic dishes which any American is able to enjoy both the traditional and consumption- unless it's got those nasty shrimps, off course.

How come I somehow knew what you were going to post that clip?

I just... don't like grits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.