small detail in three houses segment of 2/13 direct

kreisst

idk if this has been posted here but there appears to be a chest visible in the bottom left of the screen in the first two frames of the map fade in at 3:17

interestingly, it isn't in the japanese upload of the segment in that direct.

5c8edf1e1691f_DesktopScreenshot2019_03.17-19_46_51_68.thumb.png.086795d72c33c57e1c3258d0fe4b8b8e.png5c8ededcf3a26_DesktopScreenshot2019_03.17-19_45_30_49.thumb.png.a03767fb1c32515b5c6faa6fe74388c1.png

I believe it was mentioned in VincentASM's trailer analysis? I wonder who's going to be the thief in this game... Hopefully someone who doesn't belong to the school. o: 

Edit: The analysis is here.

The enemy on this map are the aforementioned bandits, led by a rugged-looking fella called Kostas. For a brief second, a shiny chest can be seen near the bottom-left corner. 

Edited by Aera

21 minutes ago, Aera said:

I believe it was mentioned in VincentASM's trailer analysis? I wonder who's going to be the thief in this game... Hopefully someone who doesn't belong to the school. o: 

Edit: The analysis is here.

Hide contents

The enemy on this map are the aforementioned bandits, led by a rugged-looking fella called Kostas. For a brief second, a shiny chest can be seen near the bottom-left corner. 

during the trailer when the class promotion screen is shown for eldgard you can see thief as one of the options so i suppose that means anyone is technically the thief.

10 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

during the trailer when the class promotion screen is shown for eldgard you can see thief as one of the options so i suppose that means anyone is technically the thief.

Yes, but my bet is that this is a Chest Key case we have here @Aera. If all units are Tier 0 and Thief is Tier 1, then it's too early for we to be able to reclass into them.

17 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

Oh, right, I missed this detail. I really do hope that there will be outside characters however. 

UZ7mWgZ.png

I  L I K E  T H O S E  P R O F I T  M A R G I N S

Really though, first we have them offering a major in banditry, now they're handing out PhDs for thievery.

The morality of these institutions is questionable at best.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

UZ7mWgZ.png

I  L I K E  T H O S E  P R O F I T  M A R G I N S

Really though, first we have them offering a major in banditry, now they're handing out PhDs for thievery.

There's an war on the horizon and I'm pretty sure that Burglary 101 isn't that useful, remember the enemy Thieves from Awakening?

@kreisst

Good catch! I didn't actually check if it was absent from the Japanese trailer.

I think a possible reason is that the Japanese trailer lingers for a few extra frames after selecting Linhardt's focus. Assuming the trailers are both the same length (I'm lazy to check), they had to remove some frames from elsewhere in the video ^^

On 3/17/2019 at 10:03 PM, Glennstavos said:

What are they teaching in this school if students learn to lockpick chests?

I know this was more of a joke, but its not that crazy actually. Im going into a security background, which would include testing company's security as one of the fields I could go into. Several of my instructures have told me that lockpicking is a useful skill to learn.

So the idea of a combat school teaching its students lockpicking isnt too crazy, considering scouts are a part of any military, and lockpicking would probably be a useful skill for them to have as well.

Edited by Tolvir

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Is that any sillier than a brigandry exam?

I'm worried about students entering the girls' dorm at night with such skills.

27 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I know this was more of a joke, but its not that crazy actually. Im going into a security background, which would include testing company's security as one of the fields I could go into. Several of my instructures have told me that lockpicking is a useful skill to learn.

Are you being recruited for the next Oceans movie? Geez.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:31 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Well, at least they're being honest about it. No more farcical hiding of the reality behind gilded titles like a "Master of Business" degree.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm worried about students entering the girls' dorm at night with such skills.

Don't go giving them ideas. Otherwise it's "Operation Panties Dood!", and then it's raising the level cap to 9999, plus reincarnation and 1.3 billion other mechanics and grinding that hurts so terribly I'd lose my love for the series. KISS FE IS!

This said, I be fine with a history-based ninja-esque school being included or as a sister institution to the academy under discussion.

On 2019-03-20 at 11:13 AM, Etheus said:

Is that any sillier than a brigandry exam?

Actually, based on some of the tactics that were used in Medieval Warfare, a brigand exam would not be that ridiculous a course at a military academy. The Chevauchee tactic used by the English in the first half of the Hundred Years War essentially amounted to pillaging and burning villages to force the peasants into castle (reducing how long those castles' provisions would last) while also demoralizing the masses by showing them that the French Nobility couldn't protect them. 

Brigand lessons would then be useful to any of Fodlan's three superpowers that use such a tactic, and even if they don't, I imagine they'd want to learn about it so they can find ways to counter such a tactic.

13 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Actually, based on some of the tactics that were used in Medieval Warfare, a brigand exam would not be that ridiculous a course at a military academy. The Chevauchee tactic used by the English in the first half of the Hundred Years War essentially amounted to pillaging and burning villages to force the peasants into castle (reducing how long those castles' provisions would last) while also demoralizing the masses by showing them that the French Nobility couldn't protect them. 

Brigand lessons would then be useful to any of Fodlan's three superpowers that use such a tactic, and even if they don't, I imagine they'd want to learn about it so they can find ways to counter such a tactic.

That is both bizarre and fascinating at the same time. :)

5 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

That is both bizarre and fascinating at the same time. :)

Agreed. Medieval Warfare in general can be fascinating and bizarre. 

The English had to come up with a lot of interesting tactics in the Hundred Years War as they couldn't raise nearly as large an army (usually 7,000 - 9,000 compared to the sometimes 17,000 that the French could raise) and they were having to campaign across a huge area of land compared to England. The English ended up having to copy and adapt some of the tactics that had been used against them in the wars with Wales and Scotland: the use of longbowman came from Wales, and the English knights dismounting before battle came from seeing Scottish knights dismount to form the front rank of a Schiltron. 

On 2019-03-17 at 10:03 PM, Glennstavos said:

What are they teaching in this school if students learn to lockpick chests?

There are a number of things that a Introductory Thief Course could teach that would be useful to a future military leader:

• scouting
  • stealth
  • planning ways to break into places, which would be useful for sieges, which were the most common method of warfare in Medieval Europe
  • lockpicking would undoubtedly be useful for raids, as well as freeing POWs that are locked in cells or cages