Question regarding inheritance.

ChaosStar0

Hello, I have just joined these forums and I have some questions that I'd like to ask of the good users in the forest. I am in the idea phase for a fan game and have been working on it very slowly for a few years, and it may never be complete due to my incompetence when it comes to learning how to code and stuff like that. My first question is in the title: Geneology, Awakening, or Fates. Which has the better system of Inheritance? For Context the fan game takes place 20 years after Binding Blade and Sacred Stones, and feature the children of the characters from those games. I want to use the Inheritance system to help me build the characters' base stats and growths. I am willing to provide any information needed to help answer my questions.

I'm gonna say that in terms of actual balance, you're gonna want to look at Fates.  Actually, Awakening's inheritance is almost exactly the same, the only difference I know of - aside from the fact that the mothers are the determinant parents in that game while the fathers are the determinant parents in Fates - is that in Awakening, a unit gets access to all classes that their parents have access to as long as they're gender-appropriate while in Fates they only get two preset classes plus an extra one from their secondary parent.  Oh, and I guess there's also the matter of inheriting the ability to use Dragon Veins in Fates.

Genealogy has... not too terribly great mechanics.  And I personally never really understood how exactly the base stats and growth inheritance works in that game.  Better to keep it to Fates/Awakening's streamlined, better balanced system.  About all the good Genealogy's system would do for you anyway is determining if a character gets significant boosts in certain stats/weapon types based on holy blood, and that's kind of not really a thing in the GBA titles.

Also...

1 hour ago, ChaosStar0 said:

it may never be complete due to my incompetence when it comes to learning how to code and stuff like that.

Take a coding boot camp, if you can afford that.

Or take up ROM hacking with FEBuilder.

Or just use SRPG Studio.

Especially if it's a fan game, I'd recommend the latter two.  No point in expending too much effort in something you'll never profit off of.  Save the coding for when you make original works, not for making fan games.

Thanks. Though I'm not going to have reclassing in the game as I despise the system, so any benefits the Inheritance system gives regarding reclassing is going to be ignored. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, I'm not good at judging what sounds rude or not in forum posts.

Edit: After reading about the Awakening/Fates Inheritance System, I'm confused about it. What does 'their own absolute growth rates' mean? Wouldn't the base stats be very high since the Parents have already gone through World-Saving conflicts before the kids are born, if I'm reading what it says about base stats correctly? If we assume the parents are at level 20/20, wouldn't the kids be far stronger than their parents when the kids are level 1? I'm sorry for asking so much in an edit, but I'm very confused about this.

Edit2: Also since this about making kids for the GBA characters, what about a physical character marrying a magical character? How would their kids base stats and growths work?

Edited by ChaosStar0

3 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Edit: After reading about the Awakening/Fates Inheritance System, I'm confused about it. What does 'their own absolute growth rates' mean? Wouldn't the base stats be very high since the Parents have already gone through World-Saving conflicts before the kids are born, if I'm reading what it says about base stats correctly? If we assume the parents are at level 20/20, wouldn't the kids be far stronger than their parents when the kids are level 1? I'm sorry for asking so much in an edit, but I'm very confused about this.

Eh, don't be sorry, it looks super-confusing on paper, but actually sort-of makes sense in action.  Think of kids from Awakening/Fates as a rough average of their parent's stats at the time you recruit the kid and growth rates.  They have their own innate stats and growth rates, but their parents will sort-of nudge them in their direction.  Fates might handle it a bit differently, but it's more-or-less the same idea.

3 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Edit2: Also since this about making kids for the GBA characters, what about a physical character marrying a magical character? How would their kids base stats and growths work?

Treat Str/Mag as a single stat, and edit accordingly.  If a kid is in a magical class, it turns into Mag, while a physical class gets Str.

Edited by eclipse

22 hours ago, eclipse said:

Eh, don't be sorry, it looks super-confusing on paper, but actually sort-of makes sense in action.  Think of kids from Awakening/Fates as a rough average of their parent's stats at the time you recruit the kid and growth rates.  They have their own innate stats and growth rates, but their parents will sort-of nudge them in their direction.  Fates might handle it a bit differently, but it's more-or-less the same idea.

Treat Str/Mag as a single stat, and edit accordingly.  If a kid is in a magical class, it turns into Mag, while a physical class gets Str.

Alright. That raises some questions. Let's use the child of Gwendolyn and Barthe as an example:

Gwendolyn starts at level 1 with 4 strength in FE6 and lets say she reached level 20/15.

Barthe starts at level 9 with 10 strength in FE6 and lets say he also reached level 20/15.

In the levels up to their promotion they both gained 8 strength.

Gwendolyn gains 4 strength when she promotes.

Barthe gains 3 strength when he promotes.

In the levels after their promotions Gwendolyn gains 4 more strength and Barthe gains 8 more strength.

That means Gwendolyn ends up with 20 strength and Barthe ends up with 29 strength.

After FE6 they get married and have a child. Using the Awakening/Fates system to find out the child's base stats, Gwendolyn's strength grew by 12 and Barthe's by 16. (12+16)/2=14. So the child who would be recruited in the prologue of this game starts with 14 strength at level 1? I'm not sure if that sounds right. It sounds very high for a level 1 Knight.

9 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Alright. That raises some questions. Let's use the child of Gwendolyn and Barthe as an example:

Gwendolyn starts at level 1 with 4 strength in FE6 and lets say she reached level 20/15.

Barthe starts at level 9 with 10 strength in FE6 and lets say he also reached level 20/15.

In the levels up to their promotion they both gained 8 strength.

Gwendolyn gains 4 strength when she promotes.

Barthe gains 3 strength when he promotes.

In the levels after their promotions Gwendolyn gains 4 more strength and Barthe gains 8 more strength.

That means Gwendolyn ends up with 20 strength and Barthe ends up with 29 strength.

After FE6 they get married and have a child. Using the Awakening/Fates system to find out the child's base stats, Gwendolyn's strength grew by 12 and Barthe's by 16. (12+16)/2=14. So the child who would be recruited in the prologue of this game starts with 14 strength at level 1? I'm not sure if that sounds right. It sounds very high for a level 1 Knight.

You have the parents down.  Now, it's time for the kid!  I'll use your Wendy/Bartre example.

Each kid has its own innate bases.  Let's say that Wendy's kid has a starting value of 5.  That gets throw into the equation, so it looks like (12+16+5)/3 = 11.  Then, this will be added to the kid's starting class. . .uh, let's go with FE6 male Knight.  According to this, that class has a base of 5 Strength.  Thus, our theoretical kid will have 11+5=16 Str as a level 10 Knight (kids in Awakening show up at level 10 unpromoted).  Which is surprisingly competent IMO.

A level 10 character in the prologue? Huh? These kids are the main playable characters of the game, not their parents. I'm just trying to figure out how to create kids for characters from the GBA games. I think were talking about two different things. This isn't going to be a 2 generation game, the parents aren't playable.