Weapons and Items That Should Return

Zetsubo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So weaker axes would be swords that beat lances lol. 

Anyway, i don't really want to bloat the game with this kind of weapons. Tellius made weapon types a litle too samey for my taste (everyone getting Blade variants, anti cavalry and anty armor, 1-2 non magic sword despite them launching wind blades and so on).

And i honestly don't see the point of an axe with so little Hit% that even with capped skill you risk a miss.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

And i honestly don't see the point of an axe with so little Hit% that even with capped skill you risk a miss.

Considering the 2 RN system, and team Ike having an uncontested +30 Hit/Evade most of the time, for battles led by Ike at least, Greatlances and Poleaxes having less accuracy was rarely a problem. At least for the Iron and Steel variants- I never needed to touch the Silver. Tibarn and Geoffrey for their couple of battles also offered 30/40 Hit uncontested. Only for Micaiah, whose Part 1 doesn't have buyable versions of these weapon, is accuracy an issue.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

(everyone getting Blade variants, anti cavalry and anty armor,

Actually this part is incorrect.

Swords only get Wyrmslayers, Lances Horseslayers, Axes Hammers, Knives Beast Killers. One effective bonus per weapon type.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually this part is incorrect.

Swords only get Wyrmslayers, Lances Horseslayers, Axes Hammers, Knives Beast Killers. One effective bonus per weapon type.

I reminded PoR having both while i was not sure about RD. I stand corrected. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Reminds me of FE Fates and the "Great" Club - it doesn't do a very good job of living up to its name with that 45 base hit...

On 4/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Stronger but less accurate weapons for Lances and Axes do exist in Radiant Dawn. They're called Greatlances and Poleaxes (there is no anti-Cav Halberd or Poleax in RD) there, with Iron/Steel/Silver variants of course. Buyable in unlimited quantities from Part 2 onwards, with a few characters starting with them.

I thought they were in the Tellius games.

I'm curious as to why they were removed in subsequent games. I know that Shadow Dragon, and New Mystery of the Emblem were remakes, but that didn't stop them from adding a ton of new weapons to the game. And Awakening could have used a few of them.

Perhaps the developers though they were unnecessary fluff that was just there to pad out the weapon selection? Or to reduce the complexity of future games? Or maybe they though they would be overpowered in Awakening and Fates given how important skill is in those games? I do hope they return.

12 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

throwing sword is fundamentally stupid, argument over.

There is an african sword made for throwing that looks like the lizal boomerang in Botw, so they could have one based on that. But you may consider it a knife or an axe.

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

There is an african sword made for throwing that looks like the lizal boomerang in Botw, so they could have one based on that. But you may consider it a knife or an axe.

if it's status of "sword" is up for debate it shouldn't be let even be considered in the conversation.

the wind edge is the way to go.

I personally prefer Kodachi over storm swords because having a ranged attack animation that looks like a magical attack but is actually physical is confusing.  However, I'd be okay with storm swords assuming their ranged animations have a different color and look less elaborate than Wind magic.

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

throwing sword is fundamentally stupid, argument over.

Actually, it is not "fundamentally stupid" at all:

Throwing a straight sword straight-forward like a spear was an actual technique in historical European swordsmanship. It is not something they would spend hours practicing; it is more of a high-risk moment-of-opportunity technique; good to know for that situation where it would be helpful, but not something worth practicing. 

In this regard, if you think about it; Fire Emblem is perhaps the only video game that has characters throw a straight sword the correct way; every other video game I've played has the sword thrown end-over-end like an axe. 

Edited by vanguard333

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Actually, it is not "fundamentally stupid" at all:

Throwing a straight sword straight-forward like a spear was an actual technique in historical European swordsmanship. It is not something they would spend hours practicing; it is more of a high-risk moment-of-opportunity technique; good to know for that situation where it would be helpful, but not something worth practicing. 

In this regard, if you think about it; Fire Emblem is perhaps the only video game that has characters throw a straight sword the correct way; every other video game I've played has the sword thrown end-over-end like an axe. 

I've seen the video, no it isn't used in any historical context outside of the theoretical idea of such and even then, is way too niche to even recommend, hence it is stupid.

also, fire emblem gets it wrong animation wise, it is pretty obvious looking at the animations that they are throwing it overhead which would put a spin on it, this only adds even more awkwardness to the idea of throwing a sword.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I personally prefer Kodachi over storm swords because having a ranged attack animation that looks like a magical attack but is actually physical is confusing.  However, I'd be okay with storm swords assuming their ranged animations have a different color and look less elaborate than Wind magic.

wind edges launch a projectile of condensed air at the target when swung, this would make it a physical attack, compare that to all magic swords used in the series where the animation has the user only raising the sword and the attack happens on its own, here it makes more sense as a physical attack, this is also how ragnell and alondite work.

7 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

wind edges launch a projectile of condensed air at the target when swung

Not that this makes an immense amount of sense either, to be honest.

They've already found a new solution anyway, remember? Whipswords. Yes I'm extrapolating.

Wind sword makes sense as a magic or a technique, not as a weapon. How exactly do you forge a sword that shoot compressed air without magic lol. Homestly, i am perfectly fine with 1 range locked swords if javelins and hand axes are not great enemy phase weapons.

On 2019-04-12 at 11:50 PM, Cysx said:

They've already found a new solution anyway, remember? Whipswords. Yes I'm extrapolating.

they've only shown one whip sword: the dark magic dragon tail sword that Byleth and the old guy in the first trailer uses. 

Whip swords in general are a terrible idea; it'll too easily flop around, get entangled on enemy weapons or enemy limbs, and it probably wouldn't be able to cut very well. The only reason I'm giving the darm magic dragon tail sword a pass is that it is magic and presumably made from a dragon tail. 

Here's a video that explains a lot of the issues:

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

they've only shown one whip sword: the dark magic dragon tail sword that Byleth and the old guy in the first trailer uses. 

Whip swords in general are a terrible idea; it'll too easily flop around, get entangled on enemy weapons or enemy limbs, and it probably wouldn't be able to cut very well. The only reason I'm giving the darm magic dragon tail sword a pass is that it is magic and presumably made from a dragon tail. 

Here's a video that explains a lot of the issues:

Well, I didn't say "better" solution:p And yes, this might just be a personal weapon; we don't even know if it's 1-2 range at this point.

This man has really made videos about everything hasn't he

25 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Well, I didn't say "better" solution:p And yes, this might just be a personal weapon; we don't even know if it's 1-2 range at this point.

This man has really made videos about everything hasn't he

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

It probably is a 1-2 range weapon, given the giant wave of dark magic it unleashed in the first trailer. But that could easily be a weapon art.

Indeed. If there's a fantasy weapon or fantasy armour trope that he hasn't made a video about; more than likely one of the other similar YouTube channels, such as Shadiversity or Metatron, have made a video about it. Funny enough, Skallagrim has even done a few videos on Fire Emblem weapons and the Weapon Triangle.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

It probably is a 1-2 range weapon, given the giant wave of dark magic it unleashed in the first trailer. But that could easily be a weapon art.

Indeed. If there's a fantasy weapon or fantasy armour trope that he hasn't made a video about; more than likely one of the other similar YouTube channels, such as Shadiversity or Metatron, have made a video about it. Funny enough, Skallagrim has even done a few videos on Fire Emblem weapons and the Weapon Triangle.

I mean, I shouldn't passively pretend I had put the shortcomings of such a choice into proper consideration; I hadn't, and you're right, there would be realism problems there as well. If anything, I'm now foreseeing many debates within this community to determine what was the best 1-2 range option for swords if they actually go with whipswords in Three Houses.

It being 1-2 range to some extent would definitely make a lot of sense(and btw, imagining an avatar with a 1-2 range, potentially unbreakable(because dragons) personal weapon is downright scary in terms of balance), hence why I took the liberty to assume that, but as long as it's not confirmed... you know how it is.

I had seen quite a few of his videos actually, I mean it's hard to be entirely unaware of them when you spend time on Serenes, as they're brought up really often. I somehow still didn't expect him to have covered whipswords, though.