Landmaster

Elise: Bubbling Flower

Hostile Springs Elise is a Red Dagger Cavalry unit, the first introduced in the game. She boasts a decent Atk stat and exceptional Spd, which benefits her default weapon, but that’s about it. Her Defense and Resistance stats are both incredibly poor and her HP isn’t anything worth investing in.

Being a Cavalry unit, she has access to Cavalry Buffs and high movement. Physically Ranged Cavaliers are a very small pool of units currently, and even smaller for colored Ranged units, thus Elise can fill a very interesting niche on a Cavalry Team.

Hostile Springs Elise should focus on making the most of her high offensive capabilities, which is even further expounded upon by the fact that she has access to a wide variety of Dagger weapons and build options. Many build options suggested for her only really make use of her default weapon since most people say it’s really not worth it with her stat line to change it to anything else, but I wanted to try out some more fun things~

Stats at Lv40:

HP: 31/34/38 

ATK: 42/45/48

SPD: 34/37/40

DEF: 15/18/21

RES: 19/22/25

Default Skills:

Weapon: Red-Hot Ducks+ (If unit's Spd > foe's Spd, deals damage = 70% of difference between stats. (Maximum bonus of +7 damage. Combos with Phantom Spd.) After combat, if unit attacked inflicts Def/Res-7 on foes within 2 spaces of target through their next actions.)

Assist: Rally Up Atk+

A. Swift Sparrow

B. Atk Feint

C. Dagger Valor

Builds:

Budget Build

Spoiler

Spoiler

VbTZDtd.png

Weapon: Red-Hot Ducks+ (Spd Refine)

Assist: Reposition

Special: Moonbow/AOE Special

A. Swift Sparrow or Brazen Atk/Spd

B. Desperation

C. Atk Smoke

S. Phantom Spd

Suggested Boon: +Spd or +Atk

Suggested Bane: -Def, -Res, or -HP

Explanation: Spd is most optimal to achieve the most damage from her weapon. Atk is also beneficial to boost her damage output. Her bane can be anything besides Atk or Spd, as she doesn't need any of those stats for this set.

I know it says “budget” and features a 5* locked Skill (granted, on a free unit: GHB Linus), but her default Swift Sparrow is more than acceptable to use. I personally use Brazen Atk/Spd because Elise has enough bulk to take at least one hit, which will almost certainly put her in the Brazen range due to her low defenses.

Elise’s default weapon, Red-Hot Ducks offers Elise up to a flat 7 points of additional damage depending on how much faster Elise is than her opponent. Using Phantom Spd as her Seal offers her up to a bonus of +10 to her Spd. Atk Smoke is a solid C Skill so Elise is debuffing 3 stats to surrounding enemies of her target after combat.

Keep in mind that Glimmer is not boosted by the 7 additional points of damage, so an AOE special or Moonbow might be preferred.

Double Brazen

Spoiler

Spoiler

7jjBrxW.png

Weapon: Barb Shuriken+ (Spd Refine) - Atk Refine is only 1 additional point, so it isn't recommended, but can be used

Special: Dragon Fang or Draconic Aura

A. Brazen Atk/Spd

B. Desperation

C. Any

S. Brazen Atk/Res or Brazen Atk/Def

Suggested Boon: +Atk or +Spd

Suggested Bane: -HP

Explanation: Atk is most optimal for this set since it deals with raw damage when in Brazen range. Spd is another ideal boon, as she benefits to not take a hit in it. -HP is the best flaw as she can get a decent boost to her Res to 29 if using the Brazen Atk/Res Seal. Def can go a decent 25 when using Brazen Atk/Def Seal, so in this instance, keeping that neutral will be nice, as well, though a bane isn't the end of the world since she mostly just wants the extra Atk over either the Res or Def.

With Barb Shuriken, Dragon Fang becomes a 3 Cooldown Special, and Draconic Aura becomes 2 Cooldown. After Elise takes a hit, she will almost certainly be put in the Brazen and Desperation range, and this will allow her to reach +14 Atk, +7 Spd, and +7 Res (or Def if using Brazen Atk/Def Seal). This build, if used on a Cavalry Team and receiving Cavalry buffs makes her a certified nuke when she procs her Special and can allow her to make easy work of sniping enemies. Even a -Atk Elise can dish out some big damage with this set.

I suggest using a build like this for in-game content, as it will be difficult to set up in Arena, where Elise is likely to be one shot by almost any unit that can reach her.

Ouch Pouch Tempest Trails Support

Spoiler

Spoiler

uWZhe4k.png

Weapon: Ouch Pouch+

Special: Glimmer

A. Swift Sparrow

B. Desperation/Atk Feint 

C. Breath of Life

S. Breath of Life

Suggested Boon: Any

Suggested Bane: Any

Explanation: Since this is simply suggested for Tempest Trail usage for support, her IV spread isn't all that relevant.

This is something that can be used for Tempest Trails. With Ouch Pouch, Elise will get -2 Cooldown at the start of every map, allowing her to get a free Glimmer or Moonbow off when she first initiates combat. Combine this with double Breath of Life (I don't have the Seal so I didn't have it pictured, but Seals are always flexible) and Elise provides sustain to her teammates who may have no other mode of recovery to increase survivability on the map.

Chill Def isn't needed at all, you can even keep her default Atk Feint if using Rallies to potentially weaken other units on the harder maps near the end of a Tempest run.

This can be tricky, though, as with her high movement, it can be hard to keep her close to her allies if they are not Cavalry units as well, but I thought it was an interesting option.

Dazzling Carrot

Spoiler

Spoiler

hKmnK5n.png

Weapon: Pegasus Carrot (Spd Refine)

A. Swift Sparrow or Fury 3/4

B. Windsweep

C. Atk Smoke

S. Spd Smoke or Brazen Atk/Res

Suggested Boon: +Atk or +Spd

Explanation: Atk is the best boon for this build because it deals with boosted damage from WTA. Spd is also a good IV choice since you still need to pass the Spd check to insure your follow-up attacks. Because this build focuses on her running Windsweep, her bane can be any other stat, as she will be avoiding damage in the first place.

This build is what inspired me to make this post. It’s a heavy investment build as it requires a Seasonal Spring Palla and Windsweep (which can be obtained from Tempest Trial’s Joshua), but it can be really incredible for Arena and AR usage in the correct circumstances.

Pegasus Carrot+ disables Skills which prevent follow-up attacks if Elise has a Weapon Triangle Advantage. As such, this is a niche set which only works on green axe, dagger, bow, or Beast units. In combination with Windsweep, provided Elise is fast enough to naturally double her opponent, Elise will be able to do so against DC Axe units such as Hector without any fear of retaliation. She can break through Wary Fighter, as well. Thus you can use this set to shut down DC Titanias, Sheenas, Surtrs, etc. 

This can also be used against Green Dragons such as Fae, Winter Fae, Myrrh, and M!Grima if you instead choose to go for Watersweep instead of Windsweep, but keep in mind that this is only obtainable from Soren at 5*. 

Her A Skill can be her default Swift Sparrow or Death Blow 3/4 for maximum damage output. Swift Sparrow is suggested if Elise has a Spd bane because she still needs to be able to out speed her opponent to get a follow-up attack. I suggested Brazen in a lot of the other builds but I don't recommend it here because, unless you are intentionally letting Elise take hits (or one hit) to get into the Brazen range, she primarily won't be taking counterattacks with this set and it will be too difficult and unnecessary to try to pull off. 

You can run double Atk and Spd Smoke in the C and S Slots to allow for Elise to debuff every stat to her enemies, but as usual, Seals are totally flexible. Again, it’s heavy investment build, but one only she and a select few other units at this point in the game can make use of, so I wanted to bring it up.

For the Fury Brazen Skillset by @NegativeExponents

Elise only loses 1 point in Atk/Spd with Fury 3 (none with Fury 4) but the damage taken from it will allow you to get into the HP threshold for Brazen without having to take hits for a whopping +7 Atk once the Brazen is active.

Splashy Splash

Spoiler

Spoiler

2IZIKsl.png

Weapon: Splashy Bucket+

A. Swift Sparrow

B. Desperation

C. Savage Blow

S. Savage Blow

Suggested Bane: -Def

Explanation: Atk is the best Boon so Elise can do the most damage to bulkier dragons. +Spd is a good alternative. You will want to keep Elise's Res Neutral, as she will be taking breath attacks to her Resistance stat and it's best not to lower it so she can potentially survive a hit. Because of this, -Def is the best Bane for her, as it won't affect her match ups against Dragons. 

Another high investment build, requiring the use of Hostile Springs Hinoka’s Splashy Bucket+. Using this build, however, makes Elise an effective Dragon Slayer and counter to Wrathful Staff users. With Splashy Bucket, Elise will not suffer the adaptive damage from Breath Weapons and will take hits to her Resistance stat, as opposed to her Defense. While her Resistance is hardly better than her Defense, it’s still slightly higher, allowing her better chances to survive. Double Savage Blow allows her to do massive splash damage to surrounding enemies, making them easier to finish off by her teammates.

Alternatively, you can run Hoshidian Summer Elincia’s Cloud Maiougi+ to counter Vantage Dragons, but keep in mind, you cannot use Desperation with this set, as the inbuilt Hardy Bearing affects the unit as well.

Conclusion:

Future Builds will be added and current ones can be tweaked with the release of new Skill options in the future or other suggestions from other users, as well as when I test other sets on her~ But to conclude, I really wanted to showcase some of the potential that Hostile Springs Elise has, as she was a very overlooked unit at the time of her release. I know many of the builds offered here in particular are higher investment, but this isn't to say that lower investment builds are bad or not as usable. The good thing about Elise being a rather average unit is that she can work well right out of the gate with her default weapon and even with less than desirable IVs~

That's it for now, but feel free to comment if you have anything to add or suggest!~

Edited by Landmaster

A few quick comments:

1. "Cavalry", not "calvary".
  2. It would be nice to include plain text in addition to the images and maybe also put the images in their own spoiler tags since they do take up a lot of screen space, especially on smaller screens.
  3. Include suggested Flaws as well.
  4. I notice you're using your own unit for the build screenshots, which means you are unable to show other Assets and Flaws. I haven't run numbers, but I'm guessing effective-damage builds might be more optimal with +Atk and Death Blow 4.

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A few quick comments:

1. "Cavalry", not "calvary".
  2. It would be nice to include plain text in addition to the images and maybe also put the images in their own spoiler tags since they do take up a lot of screen space, especially on smaller screens.
  3. Include suggested Flaws as well.
  4. I notice you're using your own unit for the build screenshots, which means you are unable to show other Assets and Flaws. I haven't run numbers, but I'm guessing effective-damage builds might be more optimal with +Atk and Death Blow 4.

Oh sorry about that, I'll make those adjustments~ They hadn't added Pegasus Carrot to the unit builder yet, so I just went for my own images for the sake of the post, but I'm fine adding text~

I do think for those, yeah, Death Blow and +Atk will be more optimal, I'll add that, too~ I included Swift Sparrow as an option so they can ensure the speed allows her to double with Windsweep. 

Edited by Landmaster

On 3/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, Landmaster said:

Dazzling Carrot

May I suggest the use of Fury 3/4 in her A slot and a Brazen in her Seal slot?

She only loses 1 point in atk/spd with Fury 3 (none with Fury 4) but the damage taken from it will allow you to get into the hp threshold for Brazen without having to take hits for a whopping +7 atk once the Brazen is active.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

May I suggest the use of Fury 3/4 in her A slot and a Brazen in her Seal slot?

She only loses 1 point in atk/spd with Fury 3 (none with Fury 4) but the damage taken from it will allow you to get into the hp threshold for Brazen without having to take hits for a whopping +7 atk once the Brazen is active.

Nice idea! I'll add that as well~

Decided to play around with some new builds based on some new weapons we’ve gotten recently and new spreads I’ve tried out myself~ Also forgive the stats, I was originally playing around with my Elise but then decided to take the merges off and forgot to give her a Bane back, so for simplicity’s sake, just assume she has 31 HP with a bane (34 with a refined weapon and flowers).

Videos are in relation to the last build (spoiler boxes are weird)

Builds:

Pumpkin Princess

Spoiler

wBVjgvj.png

Weapon: Pumpkin-a-Box+ (Spd Refine) 

Special: Draconic Aura

A. Fury 3/4

B. Desperation

C. Any

S. Brazen Atk/Spd

Explanation: Elise’s offensive stats are the most important for this build so either of them work for a boon. She can take any other stat for a safe bane since she’ll be getting +6 minimum to every stat anyway.

Build is pretty self explanatory, Fury Dagger with Fury 3/4 for the A Slot and Brazen Desperation~ She should easily be able to put herself in Desperation range with double Fury and reach up to 60 Atk when in Brazen range. C Slot and Special are Flexible but I’d go for Draconic Aura or Dragon Fang. 

The Original Red Dagger Pony

Spoiler

eUnRMCk.png

Weapon: Broadleaf Fan+ (Atk Refine)

Special: Dragon Fang or Draconic Aura or Miracle

A. Close Counter

B. Vantage

C. Spd Smoke/Atk Smoke

S. Spd Smoke/Atk Smoke

Suggested Boon: +Atk

Suggested Bane: -Def, -Res, -HP

Explanation: While you can use +Spd, I recommend +Atk since this set wants to boost Elise’s Atk as high as possible, so the higher it naturally is, the better. Any bane is fine other than Atk, but Spd is recommended to be kept neutral so Elise can avoid doubles if running Miracle.

Many units run this same build, and Elise can use it pretty effectively, as well, with her offenses. Specials which scale off of her Atk are recommended but Miracle is a good option if Elise can’t secure certain kills and Glimmer is always a fine option.

I wanted to hold off on suggesting this one until I tested it myself, but I figured I’d throw it in here while I was adding some options.

TANKLISE

Spoiler

yV8CcSj.png

V3JHAsk.png

Weapon: Goodie Boot+ (Def or Res Refine)

Special: Sol or Aether

A. Close Def or Distant Def 3/4

B. Renewal

C. Atk Smoke

S. Close Def or Distant Def

Suggested Boon: +Spd, (+Def, +Res)

Suggested Bane: Debatable

Explanation: So, this is obviously not something I recommend anyone do for their main build for Elise, it’s clearly not what she’s meant to do, but it is something she can absolutely pull off with the right Support so think of this as a “well, if you’re galaxy brained enough to do it, why not?”

Since this is not meant to be a main build, I would still suggest Spd for her boon because it can help her avoid doubles. Wouldn’t suggest going out of your way to get a +Def or +Res HS!Elise just for this, BUT, if you have either of those two IVs, this build will probably work better for you~ Usually those would be recommended banes since Elise doesn't normally need those stats. For the sake of the post, I'll just say any Bane can work here, honestly.

Point of this build is basically just to sit there amongst some Drives and Spurs to stay alive and tank to infinity. Is this something you should ever have to experience? No. But here’s me doing it for the 3 people possibly pondering doing this for themselves so you don’t actually have to

Edited by Landmaster