I just experienced a never ending game...

zuibangde

So I was playing battle arenas and got into a Team Battle room. There were only three of us so naturally, we played a free for all (at least I thought we were). Turns out the other two decided to gang up on me which isn't the first time I've experienced it which was fine. Eventually, I lost my three stocks and the other two just kept taunting and teabagging until the timer went to 0. The match went to sudden death and they just kept on taunting and teabagging. When the fire reaches a certain point, it doesn't go further anymore (and there was no timer) so I put my Switch aside to use the bathroom and when I came back they're still taunting and teabagging.

Eventually, I had to force quit the whole game and reopen it which is really frustrating.

A few questions: Is there a way to avoid this without quitting the game? I tried reporting both of them but after reporting one person, I was told that I couldn't submit any more reports which is strange because I haven't reported anyone for a while now. Does reporting actually do anything? Why do people feel the need to deliberately troll others? (if they were in the same team, they would've won and the game would end. So they wanted to be in different teams to troll whoever goes into the room first)

I'm just thoroughly pissed off right now. 

This reminds me of the time way back when I was playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.  It was Search and Destroy (so everyone only had one life), and everyone seemed to be fighting normally.  However, it turns out there were two jerk-offs from opposing teams who were communicating with each other behind everyone's backs so that they could get everyone but each other killed.  And then they had one of the dumbest 360 no-scope shoot-offs I'd ever seen.  I wish I remembered their names so that I could tell everyone how lame they were, but yeah, I know how it feels to be ganged on in an online game.

In the end, I'd concur with what Ithipathachai said.  People just simply suck.

Why do I have the feeling that the boys I babysit would do something like that?  Of course they as far as I know don't own Smash so they couldn't have done that.  Honestly I am just going to say that the 2 players who did that are either little kids causing trouble or adults who like being jerks.  

7 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Is there a way to avoid this without quitting the game?

The only advice I can give is to not play online, or only play with friends.

Does reporting actually do anything?

Considering how many people play online, there's bound to be tons of reports on other players (mostly useless reports), so I really doubt that anyone over at Nintendo or wherever is gonna be willing to go through a zillion reports each day.

Why do people feel the need to deliberately troll others?

To repeat what has been previously said, people suck.

I'm sorry this happened to you dude. It really sucks to meet people like that online (or anywhere, really). I've had my fair share of moments like that in Smash 4 online, and the best thing I can tell you is to leave as soon as you can and take a break from the game for a while if you get frustrated with it. Even though that's exactly what the other person would want, it'll benefit you more than them.

If you're a good enough player and you're confident you can kick their butt, then go ahead and do it.

Was once playing with no preference for rules and encountered a lone player with items turned on to max frequency, no timer, 500 HP Stamina, and 3 stocks. The only item that appeared is the extra stock special flag item. So he would go for those exclusively to extend the game. Interrupting him as he uses the item is easy, but 500 HP is way too much to go through per stock. And getting killed can give him the time to finally use the item. Another element to his plan I think was that, when you die, you're invincible to attacks for two seconds when you respawn, and he expected that to be enough time to use the extra stock, it's not.

I got through the ordeal. Not trying to damage him since I didn't want to be there for ten minutes. But by repeatedly throwing him off the stage and edgeguarding him. He was Ike so it was super free. I guess some players just try to quit bait and in the OPs case they needed a friend to do it.

8 hours ago, zuibangde said:

When the fire reaches a certain point, it doesn't go further anymore (and there was no timer)

Isn't there a constant stream of bob-ombs dropping from the sky though? Unless they avoided all of that in which case props to them. At any rate, if that happens, i don't really think there's a work around outside of exiting the game. Frustrating but it happens.

18 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Why do I have the feeling that the boys I babysit would do something like that?  Of course they as far as I know don't own Smash so they couldn't have done that.  Honestly I am just going to say that the 2 players who did that are either little kids causing trouble or adults who like being jerks.  

Those two people are Japanese (since I live in HK, I mostly play with Japanese/Korean/Chinese players) and I'm pretty sure they're adults as the room name has the word '28 years old' (for some reason the host felt the need to announce his age) which makes the whole experience even more baffling lmao

17 hours ago, indigocean said:

I'm sorry this happened to you dude. It really sucks to meet people like that online (or anywhere, really). I've had my fair share of moments like that in Smash 4 online, and the best thing I can tell you is to leave as soon as you can and take a break from the game for a while if you get frustrated with it. Even though that's exactly what the other person would want, it'll benefit you more than them.

If you're a good enough player and you're confident you can kick their butt, then go ahead and do it.

Yep. After that whole ordeal, I just went to do something else to take my mind off it. The sad thing is I managed to bring both of them down to 1 stock each and they were in 90% to 130% on their last stock as Donkey Kong. I played as Olimar which was easier to die than DK. I didn't expect to win but was so close to avoiding the whole thing ...argh!