Best Fortress Defense Resistance Candidates

Jotari

So I pulled a pretty shitty nature on Idoun first time round (+spd, -atk), so after pulling a tonne (lucky it's such a long banner) I've finally gotten a second Idoun with a much more preferable asset and flaw (+res, -spd). Given how spd is so inconsequntial to her, I'm not really interested in merging to get rid of her flaw, that means I have a lovely Fortress Defense Resistance to play with. The only issue is who to use it on? Since I first discovered this skill I've thought it pretty over powered (it's just so superior to the regular fortress skills which I rather like), but now that I have it I'm not sure where to put it. Good as it is, there's some very steep competition for A skills. My current candidates are Sigurd or one of my two Myrrhs. Sigurd's current A skill is Distant Counter (gave it to him before realizing it kind of negates Crusader's Ward and sort of keep on him out of stubbornness) and flying Myrrh has Steady Stance 4 which works really well on her, so I'm leaning more towards Halloween Myrrh who's pulling Armoured Blow right now, since I haven't invested something else useful in her (although I would like to give her Distant Counter some day, I guess most ideally it would work on someone who has innate Distant Counter so they can tank and return fire).

Anyway that's the position I'm in, not just looking for advice, would like to hear people's thoughts on Fortress Defense Resistance in general and who you think it works best on.

Edited by Jotari

Halloween Myrrh seems like one of the better options, although if you already have Idunn, it could be a bit redundant.

If I had a spare Fortress Def/Res, I'd probably give it to my BK, personally.

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

Halloween Myrrh seems like one of the better options, although if you already have Idunn, it could be a bit redundant.

If I had a spare Fortress Def/Res, I'd probably give it to my BK, personally.

I've recently given Special Spiral to the Black Knight due to a random Keaton I pulled (while trying to get my second Idoun), so that could be a great idea to bring him out in full force.

I originally had Myrrh inherit Fortress Def to work with her weapon when she was +Atk. She later got Fortress Def/Res once she went +Def. My Arden currently has Fortress Def as his A slot.

Basically anyone who has just enough power to take a hit to their attack for a slighty larger boost to Def or Res. However, I don't give anyone Fortress Res due to it being a rare skill still (for some reason). As for the seal versions of both, Fortress Def used to go on Kliff until I realized he then had so low an Attack stat that he literally couldn't do any damage (now he just has a Def up seal), so now it lies on Lukas. Fortress Res, meanwhile, shifts use between Arvis and Saias.

Fortress Def/Res is a whole second story. I'd love to give it to anyone I can't decide on a good A slot for, just because why try to pick when I could instead beef up both defensive stats in exchange for two measly Atk? Unfortunately the skill is rare. But my Kliff is +10 already, so any of him I get can just get turned to Fort.Def/Res fodder.

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled a Kliff on the next banner which means I have a second Fortress Defense Resistance up for grabs (used my first one on Black Knight per @Othin's suggestion). I've decided to go with a Desperation Build on my Halloween Myrrh so she's running a nice Brazen Attack Defense so I don't feel the need to give it to her (even though it would improve her greatly, because really who wouldn't improve from the crazy +10 bst this skill gives). Right now I'm thinking of sticking it on Grima. He currently has Warding Breath in his A skill which works well as it lets him pull off an Aether whenever anyone attacks him combined with Vengeful Fighter. At least, that's the theory, in practice it seems more often he kills them on his first counter attack anyway or they kill him on their second attack meaning he never gets to launch his Aether follow up. His lack of bulk is his real problem and Fortress Defense Resistance might patch that right up. It would slow his special trigger down slightly however. Thoughts?

(I'm kind of considering just spending all my orbs on this banner and giving Fortress Defense Resistance to every non Reinhardt unit I own. Because Surtr would love it too for the resistance boost it gives).

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

At least, that's the theory, in practice it seems more often he kills them on his first counter attack anyway or they kill him on their second attack meaning he never gets to launch his Aether follow up.

Does he have Ward Armor support? An Enemy Phase armor unit without Ward Armor support are still pretty fragile unless they have Omnibreaker or Wary Fighter. They are not as fragile as regular units, but they can still be overwhelmed by a nuke's damage output, especially for nukes like Ophelia and buffed Blade mages.

I would also swap out Aether for Bonfire if you switch to Fort. Def/Res. Ignis is fine too if he does not face slow enemies often. If you are sticking with Warding Breath, you can also try Guard-Quick Riposte and see if that helps.

I like using it on Sheena so she could double Ploy in Arena matches.

I've seen footage of a heavily invested Azama with that skill stalling out a raiding party in Aether Raids. They couldn't do anything against him.

14 hours ago, XRay said:

Does he have Ward Armor support? An Enemy Phase armor unit without Ward Armor support are still pretty fragile unless they have Omnibreaker or Wary Fighter. They are not as fragile as regular units, but they can still be overwhelmed by a nuke's damage output, especially for nukes like Ophelia and buffed Blade mages.

I would also swap out Aether for Bonfire if you switch to Fort. Def/Res. Ignis is fine too if he does not face slow enemies often. If you are sticking with Warding Breath, you can also try Guard-Quick Riposte and see if that helps.

I like Aether because it gives him more sustainablity though. Bonfire will help him kill things better, but he doesn't really have much of an issue with that. Surviving his his main hurdle.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I like Aether because it gives him more sustainablity though. Bonfire will help him kill things better, but he doesn't really have much of an issue with that. Surviving his his main hurdle.

Maybe try Escutcheon or Sacred Cowl? Sustainability and survivability are related but different things.

I have not done the math but I think damage reduction skills are better than sustainability skills. Damage reduction is like an extra boost to your Def/Res to help the unit wall more effectively.

You can also try Noontime, although the healing kind of low in my opinion, but it does work against all enemies, unlike Escutcheon and Sacred Cowl.

If you have problems with sustainablity, I would run a healer, Heron, or Eir instead of running sustainability skills on the combat unit.

The problem with Aether is that its cooldown is way too high to compete effectively with lower cooldown Specials.

Edited by XRay