Wall Street Journal says two new Switch models are in production, will launch as early as summer

The DanMan

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-launch-two-new-switch-models-11553494773

Though the article itself is paywalled, the preview tells most and a Siliconera article seems to tell the rest: 
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/25/nintendo-switch-is-reportedly-getting-a-new-upgraded-model-and-a-cheaper-casual-model/

One of them's going to be a smaller, cheaper version and the other is going to basically be a "Switch Pro".

I doubt they could make something that'd be appealing to me as an existing switch owner. But I hope this indirectly results in a joy con price drop. Mine are in rough shape after 300+ hours of Smash, and I felt like I had to feint when I saw their 80 dollar price tag for replacements. Here I thought the Pro Controller was the luxury choice but that's actually cheaper. If there's any cost cutting in the Switch's existing model, it's gotta be in those joy cons. I mean, how many developers are making use of that HD Rumble?

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I doubt they could make something that'd be appealing to me as an existing switch owner. But I hope this indirectly results in a joy con price drop. Mine are in rough shape after 300+ hours of Smash, and I felt like I had to feint when I saw their 80 dollar price tag for replacements. Here I thought the Pro Controller was the luxury choice but that's actually cheaper. If there's any cost cutting in the Switch's existing model, it's gotta be in those joy cons. I mean, how many developers are making use of that HD Rumble?

That is true, although that HD rumble is used a lot in Nintendo's own games (like Mario Party).

Can't Say I am thrilled to hear about a new Nintendo Switch Pro, but I am not too butt-hurt yet. As long as it doesn't block me from games I want to play, the current switch suits me fine.

Yeesh.

In a sense I'm happy I didn't pick one up yet, I'm curious as to how this will be handled. If there is a pro model I wonder what it'll have to make it worth the purchase against a regular switch. Yeah the issue of a pro model is there, same as with the other two sadly.