In your opinion, what video games disappointed you the most?

Roland

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

Again, that's fine. I'm just trying to make sense of what your trying to say.

Bullshit. Your mad because I bad-mouthed a game you like in a topic about games we where disappoited with, started by you nonetheless. Sad doesn't even begin to describe it.

Okay, so you don't like the fact that MGS2's story has a heavy theme, basically? Well, MGS was always know for dealing with heavy themes writing wise. And listen, I get why you don't like Raiden, I do, but I think it's too much calling him a "Ryu Hayabusa" rip off, or whatever your trying to call him.

Metal Gear does have heavy plots, but that doesn't mean they're all good. And Raiden sucks, I don't care what you or anyone else comes up with to defend him. Stop being a straw man for God's sake.

....What? 

Once again, you show that you don't like what I have to say, even if it's the truth. But at this point it's obvious you made this to bait people, and I won't have any of it, so I'll take my leave and do something actually productive. Nice try m8, you played yourself.

Edited by Decerd
Grammar

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Bullshit. Your mad because I bad-mouthed a game you like in a topic about games we where disappoited with, started by you nonetheless. Sad doesn't even begin to describe it.

6 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Metal Gear does have heavy plots, but that doesn't mean they're all good. And Raiden sucks, I don't care what you or anyone else comes up with to defend him. Stop being a straw man for God's sake.

Christ, forgive me for disagreeing. Why are you insisting that I'm "mad" at you for having a different opinion. I just wanted to know why you thought that, but cleary that was a mistake.

7 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Once again, you show that you don't like what I have to say, even if it's the truth. But at this point it's obvious you made this to bait people, and I won't have any of it, so I'll take my leave and do something actually productive. Nice try m8, you played yourself.

lmao, I didn't make this to bait people at all.

Honestly dude, that fact that this is your reaction to me making a joke kinda shows who really needs help here.

18 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Okay, I... well, I just don't watch TV in general, and I haven't watched the Walking Dead, but...

How exactly does someone using him to make a joke make them a psychopath/suggest they're praising him?

At least agree with the sentiment of "don't dish out what you can't take", but I just don't understand this wild leap of logic.

"You are what you quote." 

This man Rolan really made this topic soley to bait people into arguments to boost his mentally ill ego. I'm done.

Tbf i usually drop disaapointing games after 2 hours, so i don't really feel i am qualified to talk about them. I'd limit to those i played extensively

Sacred Stone: seriously, i believe that this game is easier than awakening or birthright casual at equal difficulty level. The exploration mechanics does nothing and it's just inferior to the other two mentioned games as a "fire emblem for dummies", because fateswakening have more things to do for casual players.

Radiant Dawn: it's just a massive step down to PoR in any way. The cast is at best as good as they were before, but often they are worse, and the newcomers are bland. The game is super slow because the devs tought that having 30 allied units batling 60 red units looks cool, wich kinda does the first turn, but then you have to go trought 10 minutes of npc batling before moving again. And the balance rival Revelation and Genealogy.

Shadow Dragon: beating a dead horse #1

Revelation: beating a dead horse #2

Persona 1: when i tried a modern persona i was sure that i would not like it, but that i could not get even into 1 blindsided me. I don't even know why, but it bored me very quickly.

Suikoden 1: nothing wrong with it, but i got spoiled by playing Suikoden 2 first and the comparisson killed my enjoyment. That why if i want to try a new saga i play the games by release order.

Shining Force RotDD: congratulation on making an already broken game even worse. The game totally required fanfiction MC-chan and Collectible-Kun( at least Bleu is a Blue eyes white dragon...). 

Fallout 1 and 3 at different points: i first played fo3 because people told me that it was Morrowind with guns. I liked it as Morrowind with guns. Then i liked new vegas, so i decided to try the older ones.

I tried to play FO1 like it was a bethesda game, getting dissapointed at every turn because there were too litle locations and stuff like that. I only understood how the classic fallout worked halfway trought 2, replayed 1 properly, and got angry at bethesda for changing too much. New Vegas is still the best one imo.

Now the one that will get me hate:

The legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild:

i played it for like 60 hours having lots of fun, but then i realized something was off. I was purposely avoiding the dungeon after i cleared the first one. 

Zelda always offered something unique, that no one else ever managed to really replicate. I loved the open world, but so many other people do great open worlds, while only Nintendo does that kind of adventures. I don't want to see them go away.

Here are some: 

Johnny Test: Should have known better not to play a game based on a TV show.

Fortune Street: This or Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Chose it because of Mario. Little did I know that you could only play as Mario and crew in multiplayer. I regret sorely not choosing Kirby to this day. 

Pokemon X and Y: Too easy. The story was terrible; rivals who played little to no roles, a champion who was presented as important only appeared as the final boss, as well as a very confusing evil team. Mega Evolution was good in theory, but it became Pokemon's fanservice equivalent to FEH giving Camilla 6 alts ( Giving the likes Mewtwo and Gengar Megas rather than giving them to terrible Pokemon who needed them. What's worse there was never a 3rd version so these flaws couldn't be fixed.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon: The version that didn't need a third version got one. Ultra Sun and Moon took everything I liked about the characters in Sun and Moon and threw it out the window for the Ultra Recon Squad who do nothing. Not to mention that Necrozma forms are a rip-off of Kyurem which is the proof Gamefreak is running out of ideas and Ultra Space was a big let down. If it wasn't for the competetive scene I'd say this game was 100% waste of my time.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon after TDS: TDS set the bar very high with a great story and and a postgame as long as the main story. No other game I have played has attempted a post game that long. Well, every game other than that hasn't been that great. Gates to Infinity was a waste and complete let down. Super Mystery Dungeon was alright, but its lack of a story driven post game failed to motivate me.

16 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I played Etrian Odyssey Nexus. Expected something fun. Am severely disappointed. I honestly cannot get myself invested so much. 

Soon as I eventually finish it, I'll return the game for credit.

Curious what did you dislike about Nexus

I personally really enjoyed the EO series but i know its not for everyone but yeah kinda curious is all

(im personally at midway through Nexus 2nd run after nearly 100% completion on 1st run so yeah im kinda addicted to it)

SMT Strange Journey got my recent pick. Its my first SMT, and i know i would have fun with it and i did. but hot damn Strange Journey singlehandedly convinced me why Persona sub series of the SMT franchise is as popular as it is.

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Majesty 2 was my first experience of hotly anticipating a sequel, following it from the very beginning, scraping together every bit of news I could find on it.

Majesty 2 was fucking terrible.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds- I felt like it was just A Link to the Past while added elements from future titles to it and it just didn't mesh well to me. The Light and Dark Worlds were also 90% copied from A Link to the Past (with Turtle Rock and the Ice Dungeon switching locations for some reason?). Plus I didn't really like the new characters such as Ravio, Hilda and Yuga.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Don't really know what to say about this. The game was too linear and the motion controls felt awkward at times. Game was also sort of easy I guess since even on Hard mode I defeated the final boss in less than five minutes. But really though I pretty much disliked every Zelda game (yes, even Breath of the Wild) that was released after the Oracle games besides Twilight Princess (which is my favorite 3D Zelda game).

Every Pokémon game post Emerald- I don't know, maybe I have just 'grown out of it' but the later games in the series just don't appeal to me the same way the older ones do. I feel like the later games hold your hands too much, the starters all end up looking hideous so I end up throwing them into the box the first chance I get and they try too hard to tell a story when I would rather just explore the world and free roam at my own pace. I do appreciate Gen 4 splitting the physical/special type attacks and I also ended up liking White 2 more than I thought but really Emerald was the last Pokémon game I truly enjoyed.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn- Does watching other people play the game count as experiencing it yourself? People here act like the Tellius games are the greatest thing in the franchise but from what I have seen the ugly 3D model (which is also what I disliked seeing in Three Houses so far) and the slow moving gameplay didn't leave a good impression on me. Also, the story wasn't as great as people made it out to me from what I remembered.

Metroid II: Samus Returns- Haven't finished it yet but the reason I stopped playing it was because the game felt slow, boring and I get lost easily. Wall jumping and bomb jumping are also hard to pull off in this game. Maybe I will try picking it up again someday but Super Metroid is still my go to Metroid game.

Super Mario Bros 1 and Sonic 1- Grouped these together because they both share similar flaws. While they are both the first games in their series they are really hard to get into and play if you played their sequels first (Mario 3 and World for Mario and 2/3/CD for Sonic) since they fixed and improved on the flaws of the first games.

Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice- Not saying it's a bad game but the whole concept of creating a made-up country based around spiritualism didn't really excite me since it was pretty much an excuse to bring spirit mediums and Maya back into the story plus the idea of a country hating lawyers to such an extreme that they get executed if their clients were also guilty was just too silly to take seriously and just brought in unnecessary drama. Would have preferred if they stuck with their original idea of having shady underground court system. Also kind of didn't like the ending just because 1. It made Apollo's back story even more complicated and 2. The ending pretty much wrote Apollo out of future installments.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Not being able to use the D-pad and the normal buttons makes controlling Link awkward. And the story wasn't anything to write home about, either.

Pokemon Black/White 1
Call me whatever you want, but I really have to associate this with Nintendo's most dishonest form of customer dickery: the Wi-Fi shutdown. Pokemon XY has just come out at that time, and there still were some games that were released on the DS, and Nintendo announced the Wi-Fi shutdown a mere month later, with only six months to spare. I actually bought Black 1 at that time after playing Y - just being back into Pokemon, expecting that the DS WiFi would stay for at least a couple of years, like the Lawson's Nintendo Power ROM-writing which stayed well into the Gamecube era, or any after care services for most consoles. The shutdown in itself was bad enough when they are responsible for publishing (and having some say in) one of the most Wi-Fi-reliant franchises, but then Nintendo's announcement of "Let's move onto the Wii U/3DS!" was another level in itself. NOT HAPPY DICK-TENDO, you are a disnonest, crooked cunt for that alone!

Pokemon Sun/Moon
Too difficult for a children-oriented franchise. Grinding takes unreasonably long, especially compared to XY, and some of the battles are surprisingly tough from the beginning. Couldn't they put an easy mode like in the recent Persona series? Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have time to fuck around with Pokemon's strategy anymore. Just let me barrel through the story, geez. You know what, fuck this, I'm importing all of my past Mons from my XY/BW1-2 file.

Edited by henrymidfields

12 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Not being able to use the D-pad and the normal buttons makes controlling Link awkward. And the story wasn't anything to write home about, either.

Pokemon Black/White 1
Call me whatever you want, but I really have to associate this with Nintendo's most dishonest form of customer dickery: the Wi-Fi shutdown. Pokemon XY has just come out at that time, and there still were some games that were released on the DS, and Nintendo announced the Wi-Fi shutdown a mere month later, with only six months to spare. I actually bought Black 1 at that time after playing Y - just being back into Pokemon, expecting that the DS WiFi would stay for at least a couple of years, like the Lawson's Nintendo Power ROM-writing which stayed well into the Gamecube era, or any after care services for Game Boy, which (iirc) lasted well into the GBA/DS era. for That in itself was bad enough when they are responsible for publishing (and having some say in) one of the most Wi-Fi-reliant franchises, but then Nintendo's announcement of "Let's move onto the Wii U/3DS!" was another level in itself. NOT HAPPY DICK-TENDO, you are a disnonest, crooked cunt for that alone!

Harsh language aside, the wifi shutdown wasn’t really Nintendo’s fault. There was a buyout on the company that actually ran that portion, which was sold off shortly thereafter. Likely after that, trying to setup anything for a previous generation series of games in-house just didn’t seem feasible, let alone getting all the assets back to run all of those games.

Edited by Dai

47 minutes ago, Dai said:

Harsh language aside, the wifi shutdown wasn’t really Nintendo’s fault. There was a buyout on the company that actually ran that portion, which was sold off shortly thereafter. Likely after that, trying to setup anything for a previous generation series of games in-house just didn’t seem feasible, let alone getting all the assets back to run all of those games.

Well, they should have straight-up told us that they had a problem with their subcontractor, and they didn't do that, and instead they made this bullshit argument of moving gamers into WiiU/3DS. That's what's bloody dishonest of those retarded cunts. 

Edited by henrymidfields

5 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Curious what did you dislike about Nexus

I personally really enjoyed the EO series but i know its not for everyone but yeah kinda curious is all

It's the lack of story. It's... just not even scrapping anything. I hardly feel invested in it. The game is okay, since I'm used to it from Persona Q, but at least the latter had a decent story that helped me follow through. 

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's probably the most broken magic spell in the JRPG genre. There's four different Erde Kaisers and you can only get the last one (Sigma) by getting the rest and completing a small sidequest chain. Erde Kaiser Sigma costs 99 EP to use but one of the equippable items you get in the mentioned sidequest chain cuts down every EP cost to 1 with no drawbacks. With Erde Kaiser Sigma, you essentially end every fight in one turn and the final boss will die to it in three hits at most.

Nah. The skill paths are designed so that you can only invest in one of them and that's kinda upsetting but the gameplay is pretty simple.

In Episode III, E.Ses had energy which could be reduced or increased with equipment. The amount of energy you have is what determines how many attacks you can use as well as what type of attacks. The more energy you have at the end of your turn, the earlier you get to act. Also iirc, the Boost system wasn't present in E.S battles.

Alright, thanks for the information. I remember an E.S battle in II that you fought a cannon and it was really hard.

I hate to go into my stock JRPG rant - there was just that moment when my love relationship turned into love-hate after Skies of Arcadia, where I came up with a shopping between dungeons/towns formula that fits pretty much 90% of Squeenix RPGs and a good deal of others.  Games that I especially recognized as being mechanilly interesting if their battle system did everything it promised it would if it only stopped the path of least resistance masher party first of all. include:

Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 6, Dragon Quest 8, Persona 5, Earthbound, Tales of Symphonia, Golden Sun 1, Final Fantasy 5 - I don't replay my "old" JRPGs because I'm pretty they would be also vulnerable to the new mindset. 

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - I've come down to think about it and I think the fixed HP per level instead of a VIT stat is what really lets you super power the main charather… Leveling up INT or Dex(for physical builds) is a lot easier when everything is a dump stat. 4's "hard random encounters but easy bosses,  vs 4A's easy random encouters, hard bosses" is hard to decide on.

Gucamalee - something about it rubbed me the wrong way. Thinking back it was pretty good in a lot of ways.. Either the game was too hipsterish, I kept wondering if dividing the brawler from the platformer would make a better game, or I got disappointed that the insane mode playthrough was no harder than playthrough 1. 

Unruly Heroes - excited to see a game use the Ubiart "Rayman" art engine. But don't really like it as a brawlwer with light platforming... . main problem is that hitstun is kind of hard to get feedback on and promotes really lazy long range punching.

Secret of Mana - the SNES Classic made me realize that I prefer the GB Final Fantasy Legend (Seiken 1) over it's famous sequel. I would say that the game pausing during both enemy/player magic and the need to either cheese or grind for bosses compared to the GB  made me feel the game took longer than it needed to. Also a SNES game with good music atmosphere is NICE, but it isn't a unique accomplishment compared to a GB game with these, which is like 1 in 100. 

Poxnora - some F2P game that I picked up to review for a friend (neither of us knowning the servers were shutting down lol). Kind of like a smaller scale Master of Magic - instead of 4x world screen it's all smaller scale 26x26 battles. Suffers from horrendous overcomplication of having pretty much every faction have it's own status effects and damage types etc, but I think it did too much to reach the fun of MoM or Heroes of Might and Magic "everything school is broken, go In the direction you want".  Instead Poxnora seemed to boil down into using your offensive strategy before the other player used his. without even really paying attention to counteract them.

Evil Genius - I wanted Majesty, but in a different setting. However, despite also having autonomy, it's not really the same kind of game at all. You babysit or you die, and the earlygame scaling makes sure you stay on the hotseat. Sad the gameplay didn't live up to the AAA presentation and humor the game had.

Hitman 2 and Hitman Blood Money- Very fun to watch at AGDQ, but I didn't really enjoy playing them myself. I like the idea of how freeform it is, but Dishonored or Dark Messiah scratch that itch for me at lot more. 

Star link : Battle for Atlas - Game is too susceptible to Circle Strafing . It comes very close to avoiding the "for kids" trap, but sadly, once you realize enemy patterns, it becomes too easy, too quickly.

2 hours ago, Reality said:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - I've come down to think about it and I think the fixed HP per level instead of a VIT stat is what really lets you super power the main charather… Leveling up INT or Dex(for physical builds) is a lot easier when everything is a dump stat. 4's "hard random encounters but easy bosses,  vs 4A's easy random encouters, hard bosses" is hard to decide on.

Bruh, the SMT games in general are trash. They're hard as balls JRPGs written by some edgy atheists. Persona is the superior and more successful series of games, and it's not because of the waifus contrary to popular belief. *waits for You-Know-Who to get angry at me again.*

13 hours ago, Decerd said:

Negan is a psychopath with ill will towards anyone that's not him, and the same goes for everyone that praises him. quotes him, or posts meme or pictures. The fact that your posting a quote from him as a joke shows me you need mental help.

...What? I can't tell if you're ironic or not. So if someone likes a fictional character that isn't morally in the right, then they are the same as them? So if i like Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, does that mean i advocate for animal abuse and treating people, especially women, as nothing but tools, all while seeing myself as above everything?

You also didn't anwser Ertrick's question which is basically the same question i'm asking. My guess is that you don't really have an anwser and you're just upset someone disagreed with you.

7 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

but then Nintendo's announcement of "Let's move onto the Wii U/3DS!" was another level in itself. NOT HAPPY DICK-TENDO, you are a disnonest, crooked cunt for that alone!

Do you get upset when game companies make a new console and gradually drop support for their old consoles? Because every company in the console market does that, that's a very natural thing to do.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Alright, thanks for the information. I remember an E.S battle in II that you fought a cannon and it was really hard.

Ah, that fight. It wasn't too bad if you arranged your pilots in a certain way. I remember the cannon being weak to a specific attack but i can't remember what it was.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ah, that fight. It wasn't too bad if you arranged your pilots in a certain way. I remember the cannon being weak to a specific attack but i can't remember what it was.

Yeah, you're probably right. And thanks for the help and answering my silly questions!

2 hours ago, Decerd said:

Bruh, the SMT games in general are trash. They're hard as balls JRPGs written by some edgy atheists. Persona is the superior and more successful series of games, and it's not because of the waifus contrary to popular belief. *waits for You-Know-Who to get angry at me again.*

For someone talking about baiting, you sure are doing a good job at attempting it yourself.

As for the topic itself, Tactics Ogre but that's purely because I wanted more Ogre Battle style gameplay, not nearly as fond of TO's gameplay and it leads me to not have any motivation to play it.

17 hours ago, Reality said:

14 hours ago, Decerd said:

11 hours ago, Etheus said:

Can't we just agree that both Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are great? Why the war between fans of similar games by the same company?

Honestly SMT is never "hard as balls" theyre a bit harder than average JRPG, but theyre still rather easy overall, with extremely abusable system that many game developer won't even dare to touch with a pole for how obviously abusable it is

Lets be honest for the longest time, what makes SMT "hard" isn't the game itself but rather its unimaginably trash Fuison QoL. It REALLY. REALLY. says a lot that Strange Journey, one of the first game that give you a mechanic that boils down to "limited ticket to access an acceptable QoL" in form of skill source have their difficulty destroyed from the get go, you can see their intention to do "SMT BALANCING OMEGALUL" in their demon compendium - Jueyuan is a low level demon with meh stats and final skillset relative to what demon you can get but happen to have Zan-Ei. Oh too bad you can source it and give it to any Physical Demon have fun with a level 10 move thats as good as the best physical skill in the game

SMT4? same shit. The fusion system being acceptable for once is what truly breaks the game because now you don't need to kill yourself to try and make say.... demon with actually good buff skillset and thats a mediocre shit in the long run

What makes them fun is the high level of freedom they allow on party creation, something most game doesn't have in favor of pre built character with set purpose and progression, something that still remain on Persona, but toned down - Persona 3 didn't even allow team mates control, and only 1 customizable player

Won't get into the story and crap. For one im blind to the story, for two if you saw my remarks about Strange Journey you know what my opinion on them are

EDIT: Also lets be real here Dump stat practice have been a thing in SMT since a long time ago. Soul Hackers Nemissa and Persona 2 Maya is "haha most stats is fucking useless" incarnate. Min maxing bois

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

Do you get upset when game companies make a new console and gradually drop support for their old consoles? Because every company in the console market does that, that's a very natural thing to do.

Except I've seen a good number of cases in the past where Nintendo didn't do this until well into the generation after:

• The Nintendo Power ROM download/write-in kiosks at Lawson convenience stores for the SNES? They've only stopped that in 2003, around or after the GC/GBA were released.
  • In relation to the above, Fire Emblem Thracia 776? That was released in 2000, well into the N64 era.
  • The Disc System on the original NES? Production only stopped like 2003 - that's even after GC/GBA were released.
  • Customer support in general? From what I've seen, they only stopped the repairs well after the last games were released on that generation. Game Boy and GBA? Repairs ended in 2016. N64? Ended in 2007, during the Wii era. GameCube? 2012, during the 3DS/Wii U era.

If they can do all of the above, and especially the Disc System and the Nintendo Power ROM, then why is it so fucking difficult for Dick-tendo to keep the same sustained support for the WiFi. Surely that's easier with less infrastructure than the two I've just mentioned.

I'm almost never disappointed by games mostly because there was 1 game that disappointed me enough to never get hyped for any future game. While there certainly have been games that didn't live up to my expectations after this (the tellius games are the best example of this) I wasn't disappointed because I didn't go in having high expectation. I also don't play that many games. But I suppose I should say what game that was.

Fire Emblem Fates; I know, what a shock... Fire Emblem Fates is good game that focuses on aspects I don't care about and lacks the things I value; Good writing, nuance, good use of colour (for some reason I really can't stand the colors used in this game. There to dominant and some colors like Purple, black and grey are used way to much), consistency (this applies to both story and gameplay) and looking pleasant. While I do really dislike this game and I will never play it again it did teach me that that you don't need to have the same opinion on something to get since many of friends liked the game and disliked the games that I liked. So I guess it I'm still glad I played it.

The closest thing to another game that disappointed me was Wind Waker because I remember laying down the controller while sailing, making coffee, checking my mail, playing some pokemon and making my homework before I finally arrived at my destination. And once you could explore you realize how limited you are because you lack equipment which results in more boring sailing to get this things, not helped by the fact that you often don't have a clue what to do which can result in more needless wandering. I'm not against open world games as long if there's things to do and Wind Waker lacks this and just has a huge distance between everything interesting. But I wasn't really disappointed because I didn't have high expectations, unlike fates.

Edited by LJwalhout