Vestaria Gaidens “Silverbirch’s Sacred Sword” and “Heroes of Lucca” Released!

VincentASM

vestaria-silverbirch-001-300x225.jpgvestaria-lucca-001-300x225.jpg

Talk about a nice surprise!

You can download the games via the official Vestaria Saga webpage. Check the Download page, then scroll to the bottom. You’ll need to click the top option to accept the terms and conditions. Then the download links will appear.

The first download link is for the original Vestaria Saga I, while the next is for Silverbirch’s Sacred Sword and the third is for Heroes of Lucca. Although knowledge of Vestaria Saga I isn’t necessary, it is highly recommended that you play it first.

Silverbirch’s Sacred Sword takes place after the events of Vestaria Saga I. It's kind of a midquel between Vestaria Saga I and the upcoming Vestaria Saga II. In total, there are 25 chapters.

In the first chapter, you have to fight through a mountain pass occupied by bandits and thieves with 4 and later 6 characters. Be careful when investigating the grave near the hole in the ground...

Heroes of Lucca is a prequel that tells the untold story of how the villagers of Lucca rescued Alicia. It’s a much more condensed side story compared to Silverbirch, lasting 4 chapters.

The first chapter is a strange one. You need to visit two houses near the entrance to get weapons. There's also a bow user that drops a bow. After liberating the hideout to the west, RUN back to the entrance or a super strong Swordmaster will kill you. He'll run away at first, but he comes back with a Brave weapon...

Oh yes, more moonrunes-locked games that'll end up coming in english years later for a price. Cool.

I mean, at this point I'll try playing Vestaria in japanese and deal with the menus.

It's great to see Kaga is still up and running with his game. Coming with a gaiden with 25 chapters is nothing short of impressive.

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

It's great to see Kaga is still up and running with his game. Coming with a gaiden with 25 chapters is nothing short of impressive.

Yeah, he mostly worked alone for Silverbirch, last I heard. But the bulk of the work was already done in Vestaria Saga I. This gaiden is presumably like an expansion or DLC that recycles assets.

Still, writing all the new dialogue and designing all the maps and events is a big task. So he definitely worked really hard.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No word on the English translation of the first game though, awww....:(: -Not that I have a PC yet to play it.

They have been a bit quiet but it's still coming. I heard the SRPG Studio engine isn't that friendly, which makes it harder for all the translation and QA they have to do.

Edited by VincentASM

I've been compiling info on the VS Sidestory: Silverbirch's Sacred Sword on this spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1shXiBSnuj4a5fCJ-ubZPI8QbZ-JnHzGGvegQJlHBT8Q

Chapters 1 and 2 are fairly straightforward, though each of them has an oddball event that might throw the firsttime player off a bit.

Chapter 3 though seems to be a bit tricky if you want to get everyone on your team. There seems to be a Capture mechanic and according to Kaga's blog it seems to be closer to the one in Berwick Saga than its FE: Thracia 776 reincarnation, which is worrying cuz I'm not sure if this is at whims of randomness even at one's best attempt or if there are ways to guarantee it: basically we're not sure how exactly it works. But the gist of it seems to be that basically, starred units (Karajan, Pollux, Castor) can be recruited by being 'captured' by Zade. Whether a unit is capturable or not is indicated by the Unit Menu: on Zade's row there's a list of units Zade can talk to, and capturable units are included there. There is no concept of 'Injury' or 'Cripple' in this game, though. And the idea seems to be that there will be units in the game that need to be captured in order to be recruited.

So assuming that capturing is more similar to the Berwick counterpart, the best course of action seemed to be leaving a unit with low HP. I found that for Karajan, Short Knife chipping with Sujatha- > final blow with the Raijin Dagger, lowering his HP from 14 to 2, made him capturable. But Castor and Pollux are a bit more tricky cuz they need to be baited across the river (Zade can't access the middle area since his class type does not allow him to cross broken bridges or river tiles) and one needs to control damage output while keeping your own units safe... I might give it a go a bit later, there is strong incentive to recruit them on this map since in the current absence of fliers, you need units who can waterwalk to access the ?? tile on the top left corner, and those two seem to be the only ones who can do that.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

1 hour ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

I've been compiling info on the VS Sidestory: Silverbirch's Sacred Sword on this spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1shXiBSnuj4a5fCJ-ubZPI8QbZ-JnHzGGvegQJlHBT8Q

Chapters 1 and 2 are fairly straightforward, though each of them has an oddball event that might throw the firsttime player off a bit.

Chapter 3 though seems to be a bit tricky if you want to get everyone on your team. There seems to be a Capture mechanic and according to Kaga's blog it seems to be closer to the one in Berwick Saga than its FE: Thracia 776 reincarnation, which is worrying cuz I'm not sure if this is at whims of randomness even at one's best attempt or if there are ways to guarantee it: basically we're not sure how exactly it works. But the gist of it seems to be that basically, starred units (Karajan, Pollux, Castor) can be recruited by being 'captured' by Zade. Whether a unit is capturable or not is indicated by the Unit Menu: on Zade's row there's a list of units Zade can talk to, and capturable units are included there. There is no concept of 'Injury' or 'Cripple' in this game, though. And the idea seems to be that there will be units in the game that need to be captured in order to be recruited.

So assuming that capturing is more similar to the Berwick counterpart, the best course of action seemed to be leaving a unit with low HP. I found that for Karajan, Short Knife chipping with Sujatha- > final blow with the Raijin Dagger, lowering his HP from 14 to 2, made him capturable. But Castor and Pollux are a bit more tricky cuz they need to be baited across the river (Zade can't access the middle area since his class type does not allow him to cross broken bridges or river tiles) and one needs to control damage output while keeping your own units safe... I might give it a go a bit later, there is strong incentive to recruit them on this map since in the current absence of fliers, you need units who can waterwalk to access the ?? tile on the top left corner, and those two seem to be the only ones who can do that.

Do knives and certain weapons increase capture like Berwick?

I'm not sure, but uh I haven't tried it multiple times, but generally after reducing the HP of those units they become 'capturable' by Zade so it might not be random at all, instead just depending on getting below a certain HP threshold.

(Edit) Actually bothered to read some of the village texts, apparently Zade's Capture command vs. starred enemies appears once the latter has 10 HP or less, and it is guaranteed. So no need to worry, it's actually quite easy.

On another note, apparently I forgot that captured units leave the map, so it can't be Castor or Pollux who goes to reach the ?? tile on Chapter 3... How on earth would you reach this spot?

Spoiler

AbL6aAb.png

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

10 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

I'm not sure, but uh I haven't tried it multiple times, but generally after reducing the HP of those units they become 'capturable' by Zade so it might not be random at all, instead just depending on getting below a certain HP threshold.

On another note, apparently I forgot that captured units leave the map, so it can't be Castor or Pollux who goes to reach the ?? tile on Chapter 3... How on earth would you reach this spot?

Reveal hidden contents

AbL6aAb.png

Are promotions and growth rates currently unknown, I didn't see them on the graph?

Also do Generals really not count as an Armored type class both in movement and weaknesses? Their sprite certainly look armored.

Are promotions and growth rates currently unknown, I didn't see them on the graph?

I'm not a hacker so it's probably best not to expect any information that involves ripping through files :P  I am manually documenting unit / weapon / skill / class / event information as I progress through the game. 

Also do Generals really not count as an Armored type class both in movement and weaknesses? Their sprite certainly look armored.

Depends on what you mean by 'Armored'. If you mean Class Type 重騎士 (Heavy Knight) with 重歩兵 as the Movement Paradigm, then no Generals do not belong to this category, neither in VS1 nor here. Back in VS1 there were only 4 classes with these properties:  アーマーナイト (Armor Knight),  ガーディアン (Guardian, not the 'Guard Knights' but those immobile enemies with Guardian Spears), ボウガード (Bow Guard) and  アーマーヘッド ('Armor Head', I rendered them as 'Armor Sergeant').

9 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

Depends on what you mean by 'Armored'. If you mean Class Type 重騎士 (Heavy Knight) with 重歩兵 as the Movement Paradigm, then no Generals do not belong to this category, neither in VS1 nor here. Back in VS1 there were only 4 classes with these properties:  アーマーナイト (Armor Knight),  ガーディアン (Guardian, not the 'Guard Knights' but those immobile enemies with Guardian Spears), ボウガード (Bow Guard) and  アーマーヘッド ('Armor Head', I rendered them as 'Armor Sergeant').

By guardian, do you mean “Sentinels”, the three movement armored lance only class?

I thought VS General had infantry move(meaning they could move on mountains) but took damage from anti armor? Do Generals in this and VS not take extra damage from stuff like rapiers?

Their sprites and animations depict them as trudging forward like armored classes?

WRT Guardian, Yes

There is no singular concept of anti-armor.. at least that was the case back in VS1.

For example, Zade's prf and all thunder tomes were effective vs. both Knights and Heavy Knights, but the Rapier and the Levin Axe was only effective vs. Heavy Knights. 

13 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

WRT Guardian, Yes

There is no singular concept of anti-armor.. at least that was the case back in VS1.

For example, Zade's prf and all thunder tomes were effective vs. both Knights and Heavy Knights, but the Rapier and the Levin Axe was only effective vs. Heavy Knights. 

Do the Rapier and Levin Axe work on Generals?

12 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

No

Interesting, so perhaps the idea is they eventually surpass their prior weaknesses. 

Do weapons effective against Knights and Heavy Knights, effect Light Knights as well?

If you can try to find class changes, like by using new available characters like the Sailors. 

Is this the gaiden with the minor named playable characters or is that the other one?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

edit: nevermind figured it out lol.

anyone know what Jonathan's level 15 and 30 skills are? trying to figure out if he's worth trying to level up (although I'm about to start chapter 4. I don't even know how he gains exp).

Edited by bufkus

• 1 year later...