Famous franchises/games you've never played?

Rapier

The Last Of Us: More of a lack of interest than anything else. I keep hearing all these great things about the story, but I personally dont get it. The gameplay doesnt look that impressive at all, and tbh the story doesnt sound all that groundbreaking. Its one of the first games that come to mind when I think of overhyped games.

GTA: Just never really got into these games.

35 minutes ago, Rapier said:

How exactly would Far Cry 3 work without having a preset protagonist? It's all about Jason, his growth and increasing madness for being in that island, as well as his relationship with his friends as he tries to save them from Vaas. I can understand the critique on the others (FC 4 and Primal), although it doesn't bother me that we can't make a custom character. I think it's just simpler than giving you all the assets for making your own character or writing a separate script for a genderbent protagonist.

It just seemed to me like a lot of these stories wouldn't have changed all that much if the protagonist was someone else.  If I'm mistaken, then clearly I'm being biased and presumptuous.  Remember that because I listed it, that means I never played those games so I don't know what they're like and am only judging based off of what trailers have shown and what reviewers have said.  It just kinda seemed edgy to me personally, and I didn't really like that.

That, and it was right in that prime time when I was fervently into stuff like Feminist Frequency, so I had zealous ideas for how games should be.  Quite simply I didn't like the premise of any game that involved a male protagonist saving damsels in distress.

I've since stopped following a lot of fringe political commentaries like that, but I still just don't see myself ever getting into Far Cry.  They even had a game that took place in my own home state - Montana - but I just skipped it.  It's just the way my life turned out, and as I'll indicate in my reply to another person, it isn't easy to get me into games in general (even harder for games that I had a history of disdaining).  And clearly some of that political nonsense bias stuck with me.  Which I'm kind of glad for, because I feel it ultimately led to me genuinely respecting and revering women more, but that also means I generally hate Ubisoft as a company and don't want to support them.  I'll also say my hate for Ubisoft isn't just because of how they choose to cast their games; there are plenty other controversies that justify my dislike for them.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't know if you care or not. I'm just offering an explanation.

Nah, I get the picture.

It doesn't interest me, but I will say it's extremely difficult to get me into other games/franchises in general.  I mean hell, the only reason I got into Fire Emblem was because my sister got me Fire Emblem Awakening for Christmas one year and I felt obligated to try every game she got me at least once.  You basically have to thrust the game into my hands and tell me to play it, otherwise I'll probably just forget about it.

9 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

The Last Of Us: More of a lack of interest than anything else. I keep hearing all these great things about the story, but I personally dont get it. The gameplay doesnt look that impressive at all, and tbh the story doesnt sound all that groundbreaking. Its one of the first games that come to mind when I think of overhyped games.

My best friend told me this of TLoU:

It isn't groundbreaking either in the gameplay or story sense.  In fact, it's fairly normal.  However, what seems to appeal to a lot of people is how well the gameplay seems to match the narrative.  With so many zombie games like Resident Evil, the story's dreadful and bleak, yet you're just blasting through all these monsters with flamethrowers, machine guns, and grenade launchers, with plenty of ammo and first-aid to spare.  But The Last of Us also has the dreadful, bleak, terrifying, survival-oriented story angle, and the gameplay reflects that.  You don't often have much ammo, many things can kill you in one hit, and you're so often more encouraged to sneak around than go guns blazing because the enemies always outnumber you and you never have enough ammo to kill them all.

This is the only game he's talked about in this way.  Take it for what you will, but that's what my friend and I see in that game.

Franchises:

Far Cry: Never got around to playing any of them.  Heard some were good and some weren't, I might get around to trying one at some point.

Just Cause: I like open-world games but I haven't gotten around to playing any of these.  Might change that at some point.

FIFA, 2K, Pro Evolution Soccer, NBA Live: Pretty much all of these fall under the same reason I have no interest in playing them.  If I wanted to play a sports game, I'd go outside and play them.

WWE: Not sure if this qualifies as a sports game, but even if I was into wrestling I would probably just be actually participating in it anyway.

Battlefield: My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I might have played Battlefield 2142 a long time ago.  Either way I've been burnt out on shooters that were built as just glorified packages to sell the multiplayer mode.  Even worse it seems like people consider this to being "the other Call of Duty" these days.

Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike, DOTA: Pretty much all of these games are under this category for the same reason as Battlefield.  Most of these games don't even have a single player that compels me to try any of them. I wasn't a total fanboy of Valve's single player content, but I sure do miss the days they even threw a bone to it every now and again.

Forza: Give me a Kart racer any day and I'll have the time of my life.  Sim racers?  Not for me.

Hitman: Played and beat Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.  Hated playing all of them, not feeling the urge to try this franchise.

Individual Games:

World of Warcraft: The franchise transitioning to an MMO is still a major letdown for me.

Overwatch : Wasn't a fan of Valve's multiplayer games, not even potentially likable characters can get me into this one.

PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends (Possibly?):  More multiplayer stuff that I can't get into.

Most major Western series; I've played bits of AC and CoD, but besides that it's really only Halo.

I've never bought or beaten a Mario or Zelda game (or a 1st party Nintendo game that is not FE, Pokemon, or Xenoblade).

• 2 weeks later...

There are probably lots to mention here so I'll narrow down the names a bit:

Tier 0: Played for the first time in the past 12 months
Persona series, starting with:

• Persona 4 Golden, then
  • Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and
  • Persona 3: Portable

Tier 1: Intends to within the next 12 months:

• Any Persona 3-5 entries that I neither already played, nor list in a different tier.

Tier 2: Would like to play eventually:

• Radiant Historia
  • Devil Survivor duology
  • Devil Summoner - the Taisho-era duology
  • Odin Sphere
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess
  • Final Fantasy 12

Tier 3: On the fence:

• LA Noire
  • Pokemon Colosseum
  • Final Fantasy 13
  • F-Zero
  • Okami
  • Hearts of Iron 4
  • FE Tellius/Jugdral, original versions: As much as I am interested in the story of the two games, I am kind of balking at the lack of availability. I don't want to emulate, and don't really want to fork over $100+ just for some used copy - which seems to be the norm for PAL editions. I'll have to wait for a remake.

Tier 4: Notable entries for "Not interested enough to buy and play."

• Shin Megami Tensei: Yeah, I'll have to draw the darkness line on this one...
  • Kingdom Hearts: Too many entries, and I'm afraid I just can't keep track of the story.
  • Basically all FE entries that aren't Jugdral or Tellius.
  • Pokemon Ultra SM
  • Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: Not a fan of the artistic direction of the worldbuilding aspect. I prefer the real-life based geography of RBY, GSC, and XY onwards.
  • Following Persona games:
    • Persona Q Series
    • Persona 3/5 Dance series

Tier 4a: Honorary Mention: Have played in the past, but no longer interested, and won't play the latest installments.

• Super Mario: Anyone who knows me would probably know why.
  • Smash Bros: Ditto with above.
  • Donkey Kong
  • Burnout series: Used to play a lot, and still see Youtube footages every now and then, but no, I had my time, I think.
Edited by henrymidfields

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can I ask why it's on the fence for you? Just curious.

I would place this in the higher tier of my aformentioned list, but there's been a lot of games, especially from Atlus (since experiencing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 4 Golden, and yes, that includes Vanillaware stuff), that I really want to play (and thus on a higher priority), and not necessarily enough time.

Ditto with Hearts of Iron 4. If I do eventually get around to the latter, then I'd like to take the democracy route for the alternate version of Japan, and join the Allied side.

LA Noire, I would like to play, but I don't like too much bloodshed, even in games.

Edited by henrymidfields

7 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

and yes, that includes Vanillaware stuff

As a heads up, if you want to try Muramasa: The Demon Blade, get the Vita Rebirth port, not the Wii original.

For one, the port adds four new stories, each with a new playable character and two endings.

And secondly, the Wii translation was handled by a company with a bad translation record, and it shows in Muramasa- much of what is said in the Japanese is misunderstood or cut short. The Vita got a new translation closer to the Japanese original.

Here are two links showing samples of the difference between the versions:

https://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/05/muramasa-rebirths-new-translation-compared-to-ignitions-wii-version/

https://militarypenguin.livejournal.com/281392.html

*Sigh* I wish Vanillaware did PC ports.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer