Code Vein: An Anime Soulsborne Game from Bandai Namco and the developers of God Eater

BZL8

In 2011, Bandai Namco published Dark Souls, a spiritual successor to the difficult, but acclaimed European medieval-themed action role playing game Demon Souls, made by the same developer, FromSoftware and directed by the same director, Hidetaka Miyazaki. Dark Souls went on to become a critical and commercial success, spanning two sequels and loads of prestige for FromSoftware. The success of Dark Souls also led FromSoftware and Miyazaki to team up with Sony to create Bloodborne, a gothic/cosmic horror Souls game that several consider to be the penultimate Souls game ever created. Collectively, Dark Souls and its two sequels, Demon Souls, and Bloodborne have been referred to as "Soulsborne", as several significant design elements from the original Demon Souls are carried over into those installments. 

The success of the "Soulsborne" games have not gone unnoticed by non-FromSoftware developers. Notably, Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja developed their own take on "Soulsborne": Nioh, a game with similar gameplay set in Sengoku Japan (this is not to be confused with FromSoftware's recent Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice). Nioh would receive similar acclaim and success that From's four "Soulsborne" games have received. Now, it is Bandai Namco's own turn, alongside God Eater developer Shift, for their own take on "Soulsborne". The result? Code Vein

For better or worse, "Soulsborne" fans have called this game "anime Dark Souls", and it is very easy to see why. Code Vein appears to be the love child of Bloodborne, especially with Vein's blood-thirsty vampires, and God Eater's traditional post-apocalyptic anime setting. It's an aesthetic that naturally, may turn off those who are more accustomed to the realistic nature of the original "Soulsborne" games, but also appeal to those who may not have been big into the "Soulsborne" settings and aesthetics.

Originally planned for release last year, Code Vein is set to be released this year. For fans who miss the traditional "Soulsborne" elements that are missing in Sekiro: Shadows Die TwiceCode Vein may scratch that itch. And for those who may not have been big into the realistic settings and aesthetics of past "Soulsborne" games, Code Vein may be the game for those. And for some of those people, it might be the first "Soulsborne" title they ever played.

Prepare to die dine.

Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One

Synopsis from the official website:

In The Face Of Certain Death, We Rise.

In the not too distant future, a mysterious disaster has brought collapse to the world as we know it.  Towering skyscrapers, once symbols of prosperity, are now lifeless graves of humanity’s past pierced by the Thorns of Judgment. At the center of the destruction lies a hidden society of Revenants called Vein. This final stronghold is where the remaining few fight to survive, blessed with Gifts of power in exchange for their memories and a thirst for blood. Give into the bloodlust fully and risk becoming one of the Lost, fiendish ghouls devoid of any remaining humanity. Wandering aimlessly in search of blood, the Lost will stop at nothing to satisfy their hunger. Team up and embark on a journey to the ends of hell to unlock your past and escape your living nightmare in CODE VEIN.

Anyone looking forward to this game? Any people who have not played any "Soulsborne" game before? Any "Soulsborne" fans looking forward to this game? 

Take this with a grain of salt. But rumor has it that Code Vein may be popping up on Nintendo Switch. This was discovered by some users on ResetEra.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/apparently-code-vein-is-also-coming-to-nintendo-switch.109069/#post-19453054  

EDIT: NOPE

Edited by BZL8

I remember this. Has a really interesting premise and the ability to have different NPC partners is intriguing. I remember it was supposed to be out last year, but Bandai-Namco suddenly indefinitely delayed it and it's been dormant ever since. Makes me wonder what happened

4 hours ago, BZL8 said:

Anyone looking forward to this game? Any people who have not played any "Soulsborne" game before? Any "Soulsborne" fans looking forward to this game?

i've been following it ever since the first trailers dropped on YouTube.

the game's concept is quite interesting, but from what i've seen, in terms of gameplay it's closer to God Eater rather than SoulsBorne games, wich isn't a bad thing at all.

it got delayed probably due to the heavy competition from last year up to this spring, since there were plenty of well-known titles coming up and there was a risk that it could have been left behind with not much spotlight available( pretty much what happened with Left Alive in the end. not sure about God Eater 3. ), or perhaps they wanted to expand the game features even further, wich is quite odd since they had already planned a release date together with a limited edition including an action figure, soundtrack, artbook, etc.

they're probably waiting for the right moment to give a release date, as there's still few other titles on the horizon that will come in the next months( FE3H, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina ). who knows...

On 4/2/2019 at 6:34 AM, Fenreir said:

it got delayed probably due to the heavy competition from last year up to this spring, since there were plenty of well-known titles coming up and there was a risk that it could have been left behind with not much spotlight available( pretty much what happened with Left Alive in the end. not sure about God Eater 3. ), or perhaps they wanted to expand the game features even further, wich is quite odd since they had already planned a release date together with a limited edition including an action figure, soundtrack, artbook, etc.

Rumor has it that the game had a bad showing. That and the heavy competition led them to delay it.

Watch as development shifts hands from Shift/Bandai Namco to FromSoftware.

2 hours ago, BZL8 said:

Rumor has it that the game had a bad showing. That and the heavy competition led them to delay it.

Watch as development shifts hands from Shift/Bandai Namco to FromSoftware.

nah, that's probably not gonna happen. in terms of story/gameplay, Bandai should be done with everything by now( ironically, they even got Code Vein shirts in their online store already available for purchase ).

they need to hurry up though, since FromSoft already stated that they're currently working on 2 new games.

there's good chances we'll see either another SoulsBorne title, or perhaps even the return of Armored Core, so if we consider the popularity that these games have obtained over the years, they should definitely release Code Vein before the big names show up.

i have my fingers crossed for PvP features being added too in the final version of the game, but since it was mainly a PvE one, i don't know what kind of approach they could take with that. if not invasions like in SoulsBorne games, at least arenas would be cool.

I love the style of Soulsborne games, and I've been eyeing God Eater for a while. That game will be a fine addition to my collection... as long as it isn't too expensive when it's released.

It'll be more than welcome after I beat Bloodborne.

I'm a bit interested. I generally am not a fan of overly anime aesthetics(Go figure) when it feels at odds with the tone and kind of game it is. An "anime Souls-like" is more of a turn-off than not.

But I'm a Souls junkie. If it's good, I'll definitely pick it up. If it's just anime Lords of the Fallen, probably not.

I am sorta mixed on this game. This game has a very interesting concept and setting, especially with the usage of an AI-controlled companion to guide you. That plus the anime artstyle setting makes me eye this game. But from what I seen and heard from people online, gameplay isn't too hot and appears to be drastically inferior to the Soulsborne games and Nioh. I hope that Bandai Namco and Shift are using this delay efficiently to significantly improve upon the game and exceed expectations because I believe Code Vein can, like Nioh, become a very worthy take on Soulsborne if it hits its cylinders properly. I am not fully sold on the story and characters, though I think the developers are better off focusing on improving gameplay.

Code Vein also needs to be careful where it assigns its release date. It's previous September-October release date put it right into competition with DQXI, Spider-Man, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Fifa 19, all of which would have literally eaten the game alive. If Code Vein puts itself into the path of games like any of Nintendo's major releases (Fire Emblem: 3H, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Animal Crossing, etc.), Halo MCC PC release, Pokemon, MKXI, Gears 5, or Borderlands 3, its going to be a battle that it will lose hard. Don't get me started if Vein ends up competing with Sony's Death Stranding, TLOU2, or Ghost of Tsushima. A fight between this game and Sekiro would have been a bloodbath for the former.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

I'm a bit interested. I generally am not a fan of overly anime aesthetics(Go figure) when it feels at odds with the tone and kind of game it is. An "anime Souls-like" is more of a turn-off than not.

Nothing against your personal taste but there’s an issue I take with this statement. Honestly imho there is no real “anime style” even what can be considered “traditional” can vary drastically depending on the studio and artist. Some studios and artists take great care in making the artstyle match with the overall tone of the story which again leads to subtle yet effective differences in stuff like color choice, character design, animation techniques, etc. which can give some shows their own unique feel and atmosphere. Kyoani is by far one of the best examples of what I’m talking about cause each one of their shows has their own unique color palette to match its tone and feel. Hell trigger have built themselves entirely on a style wholly unique to them. Again nothing against your personal taste as art is a very subjective medium but just my two cents.

46 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Nothing against your personal taste but there’s an issue I take with this statement. Honestly imho there is no real “anime style” even what can be considered “traditional” can vary drastically depending on the studio and artist. Some studios and artists take great care in making the artstyle match with the overall tone of the story which again leads to subtle yet effective differences in stuff like color choice, character design, animation techniques, etc. which can give some shows their own unique feel and atmosphere. Kyoani is by far one of the best examples of what I’m talking about cause each one of their shows has their own unique color palette to match its tone and feel. Hell trigger have built themselves entirely on a style wholly unique to them. Again nothing against your personal taste as art is a very subjective medium but just my two cents.

Code Vein more or less has the art style and aesthetic of God Eater, which isn't all that surprising since the developer of those games is also working on this title. I think @Slumber meant that he doesn't like the God Eater art style and aesthetic as he feels it clashes with the general setting of this game. I don't think he takes issue with it having an anime art style; I think he feels that God Eater's art style isn't the best choice for this game. Perhaps Junji Ito or Kentaro Miura's art style would have been his personal choice. He can correct me if I am wrong though or to clarify things.

Edited by BZL8

39 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

Code Vein more or less has the art style and aesthetic of God Eater, which isn't all that surprising since the developer of those games is also working on this title. I think @Slumber meant that he doesn't like the God Eater art style and aesthetic as he feels it clashes with the general setting of this game. I don't think he takes issue with it having an anime art style; I think he feels that God Eater's art style isn't the best choice for this game. Perhaps Junji Ito or Kentaro Miura's art style would have been his personal choice. He can correct me if I am wrong though or to clarify things.

No, that's correct. That's why I specified when it clashes with style and tone.

Persona and most JRPGs? Totally fine with anime aesthetics, as long as they're sensible.

A genre that was spawned by a heavily western-style and aesthetic, with tons of violence, and grit in the presentation and gameplay itself? Not really feeling an anime aesthetic on that.

Additionally, these kinds of games also don't really lend themselves to hyper stylized art directions, which is where I feel an anime aesthetic would be more appropriate. JRPGs lend themselves to being ultra stylish a bit better than methodical action games.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

No, that's correct. That's why I specified when it clashes with style and tone.

Persona and most JRPGs? Totally fine with anime aesthetics, as long as they're sensible.

A genre that was spawned by a heavily western-style and aesthetic, with tons of violence, and grit in the presentation and gameplay itself? Not really feeling an anime aesthetic on that.

Additionally, these kinds of games also don't really lend themselves to hyper stylized art directions, which is where I feel an anime aesthetic would be more appropriate. JRPGs lend themselves to being ultra stylish a bit better than methodical action games.

Third statement: "Berserk" would like to have a word with you. There's a reason why people think the manga/anime played an influential role on Miyazaki.

Honestly, I am not really that bothered by Code Vein's art direction. Maybe because some of God Eater's stylish and over-the-top sensibilities are in this game and are things that Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and others wouldn't be able to do. From what it looks like, Vein's gameplay borrows quite a bit from God Eater, so I do think it makes some sense for the game to have the aesthetic of its sister game (or is it daughter game because I called Vein the lovechild of Bloodborne and God Eater?). 

But then again, you're reading this from someone who found Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance to be too over-the-top for a realistic military setting despite really enjoying the game. But then again, Metal Gear had some pretty over-the-top sensibilities within its realistic aesthetic. 

Edited by BZL8

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

I mean berserk and beyond that you have Tite Kubo’s bleach who carries what can considered a “traditional” anime artstyle but with a more grounded edge. However I do see your overall point and agree to some extent. I just feel a stylistic artstyle can still be used effectively to deliver on the dark and gritty tone found in these sorts if games. Again I mention Berserk which is said to be a influencer of Dark Souls. It all depends on the talent behind it not necessarily the “style” itself but that’s just me.

• 1 month later...

Network Test is coming, as well as a few impressions on the game from some outlets. Still very cautious about the game.

A few impressions from some outlets:

Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/8/18534545/code-vein-preview-impressions-windows-pc-ps4-xbox-one 

IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/08/code-vein-is-the-anime-vampire-game-of-your-dreams

Giant Bomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3EQ26wGmmg

Game Informer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=ajSJGbhWDr4