Fire Emblem Pitfalls 10

Mekkah

32 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm not in a position to watch videos willy-nilly, nor will I be for the forseeable future.  But if what you posted is true, then the real pitfall is the name of the video series.

The video is basically saying that using Fred from Awakening is an pitfall. Along with reclassing your only healer as an knight. And there's an shitload of recycled clips.

Honestly, the real pitfall in FE is not double-checking your math.

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

The video is basically saying that using Fred from Awakening is an pitfall. Along with reclassing your only healer as an knight. And there's an shitload of recycled clips.

Honestly, the real pitfall in FE is not double-checking your math.

Eh.  Don't much care for the recycled stuff, and early Lunatic strategies do rely on Fred's ability to murder certain things.  I think the current one is to pair up a female Robin with Chrom and have them destroy everything.  But things may have changed, too.

I'll let this video stick around.  Maybe I'll have a better living situation if/when the next one comes out, so I can evaluate this for myself.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Eh.  Don't much care for the recycled stuff, and early Lunatic strategies do rely on Fred's ability to murder certain things.  I think the current one is to pair up a female Robin with Chrom and have them destroy everything.  But things may have changed, too.

I'll let this video stick around.  Maybe I'll have a better living situation if/when the next one comes out, so I can evaluate this for myself.

The guy wasn't really talking about Awakening or Lunatic, but an older FE that I've never seen before and that you have an army to raise.

Edited by Armchair General

7 minutes ago, Florete said:

You could really stand to be a little less trigger-happy. This is about Fire Emblem in general. Thus, General Fire Emblem.

I've been dealing with some rather interesting tactics, which has been a fairly recent happening (no, I'm not going to elaborate in public).  I'm also trying to sort through people who post solely to promote their own stuff, and people who post actual content.  I don't think this was as big of a problem during your time as a mod.

This entire thread is a pitfall.

On 6.4.2019 at 6:37 AM, eclipse said:

However, FE in the end is a single-player game. Does it really matter how I beat the game?

Some people care about optimization, others do not. Just because the individual doesn't care about the how, doesn't make the pursuit itself pointless.
Otherwise the entire premise of speedruns in video games wouldn't exist.

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

A lot of these "pitfalls" can be quickly cleared up by finding an old draft, and attempting to get within ~10 turns of the person that did it.

That's like following a step-by-step solution and then saying I can apply all the techniques from it in the next exam. I suppose some people learn that way but it's not particularly thought-provoking and much less educational.

As far as I understand it Mekkkah tries to convey how to make informed choices in Fire Emblem. For example:
Not using Marcus because of personal preference (be it for the challenge, wanting to use other units) is fine but not with the reasoning of "he steals EXP" or "I need to have 1 of each class so he needs to go". Using Tomas is fine as long as you understand he is a bad unit.

imo it's a good mentality to have for hacks and new titles because there is nothing that can guide you and requires you to make your own choices. Now whether his examples or theory are always sound I'm not going to judge but it's at the very least worthy of discussion.

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

My personal distaste is just that - this topic is still here, as is the link to the video.

Is it any different compared to Mangs' or Ghast's content? In a sense every video with a YouTube post is a form of promotion, even recorded runs from Horace and dondon. Trying to separate these between just advertising and content requires watching it.
It doesn't even scream clickbait compared to some of other trash you had to remove.

Edited by Magus of Memery

14 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

Some people care about optimization, others do not. Just because the individual doesn't care about the how, doesn't make the pursuit itself pointless.
Otherwise the entire premise of speedruns in video games wouldn't exist.

But would that warrant the moniker of "pitfall"?  Not doing speedrunish things isn't a pitfall, unless you're turtling in a draft.

As far as I understand it Mekkkah tries to convey how to make informed choices in Fire Emblem. For example:

Not using Marcus because of personal preference (be it for the challenge, wanting to use other units) is fine but not with the reasoning of "he steals EXP" or "I need to have 1 of each class so he needs to go". Using Tomas is fine as long as you understand he is a bad unit.

This is why I need to poke and prod, because I'm not able to watch this video.  While the former is somewhat debatable (might be an issue for ranked runs), the latter may or may not be a mistake.  FE is usually flexible enough to allow for some class variety.

I don't think I'd mind the definition of "what makes a unit good/bad".  I AM going to take issue with it if I see others being shouted down for solely using good/bad units, especially if they know what they're getting into.

Is it any different compared to Mangs' or Ghast's content? In a sense every video with a YouTube post is a form of promotion, even recorded runs from Horace and dondon. Trying to separate these between just advertising and content requires watching it.

It doesn't even scream clickbait compared to some of other trash you had to remove.

I may have seen a topic for those videos?  Maybe?  The fact that I can't remember should say enough.

What I don't want is someone whose only purpose on SF is to promote their videos.  Why post them here, if there's no effort to interact with the boards?

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

But would that warrant the moniker of "pitfall"?

Yes? It adequately describes the behavior players' falling into common fallacy, new and old alike.

FE is usually flexible enough to allow for some class variety.

Which really doesn't hold on a case-by-case basis.
Especially in 9 it's really hard to justify most units over the Paladins because they are stupidly broken (as in, there is almost nothing they can't do). As much as I love Nephenee using her over Makalov or Astrid is objectively not a good choice.
And using Knights in 6 ... masochism is a thing, I guess?

I AM going to take issue with it if I see others being shouted down for solely using good/bad units, especially if they know what they're getting into.

Which Mekkkah isn't doing and this specific video is pretty much about "how it's fine to use what you want but actually understanding your choice".

I may have seen a topic for those videos?  Maybe?  The fact that I can't remember should say enough.

"Fire Emblem Character Spotlight!" is literally on the same first page of this subforum.
Quite frankly either you're not following your policy strictly enough or you're just being selective for whatever reason. Between the two Mangs is definetly the Youtuber and I don't see anyone complaining about him.

Not to mention ghast being a "mod" means you have a mole in your team anyway.

9 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

Which really doesn't hold on a case-by-case basis.
Especially in 9 it's really hard to justify most units over the Paladins because they are stupidly broken (as in, there is almost nothing they can't do). As much as I love Nephenee using her over Makalov or Astrid is objectively not a good choice.
And using Knights in 6 ... masochism is a thing, I guess?

And you've done the thing I didn't want to see.

Will things be harder if someone decides to completely ignore Paladins in FE9.  Yep.  Can the game still be beaten?  Yep.  Does it matter?  Probably not, unless someone's running into trouble and asking for help while staunchly refusing to use Paladins.

It works as a suggestion ("if you're struggling in the early chapters, have Titania clear some stuff out for you, she'll be pretty good throughout the game"), though.

9 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

Which Mekkkah isn't doing and this specific video is pretty much about "how it's fine to use what you want but actually understanding your choice".

"Fire Emblem Character Spotlight!" is literally on the same first page of this subforum.
Quite frankly either you're not following your policy strictly enough or you're just being selective for whatever reason. Between the two Mangs is definetly the Youtuber and I don't see anyone complaining about him.

Not to mention ghast being a "mod" means you have a mole in your team anyway.

I think regular members can check profiles.  Which is something I just did.

Mangs has his stuff in one topic, hence why it didn't catch my attention (I had to reread the front page a few times to find it).  Mekkah. . .does not.  And given the jump between videos (5 and 10), along with his recent activity, he doesn't seem to show up very often.  That's what got my attention.

Pitfalls assume a certain playstyle and are only valid whitin it. 

For exmample the level 20 promotion. The point is that you want the promo gains by map x, but if you don't play fast is perfectly possible that you are already level 20 by map x because of boss abusing, arena, reinforcements or just by killing more enemies than what is strictly needed to clear the map. Those are not "optimal strategies" but are used by most of the playerbase. Pitfalls are useful to a casual player that want to jump to a more efficient approach, but they are not for a player that is ok with staying casual.

Or the cavaliers of FE9. I have currently a transfer run on hold: why the hell i should use Makalov, that is trash on RD even with transfer and has bad aviability in that game(same deal with Astrid, except she is actually likeable and may receive favoritism)? On the other hand, Yliana may be a good choice because her RD aviability is excellent and include the hardest part of the game. I don't even know if there is a transfer tier list but i am 100% sure that would be very different than the efficiency tier(except for Jill being great in both).

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been of the opinion that unarmed lure, taxi (in games with Rescue) and village runner, taking out problem enemies not worth XP (thieves, random killing weapon users) and, in the games where it's plausible (Sothe), weakening major enemies without killing them were better than not-using them or making them equals.

One suggestion related to hoarding items is not passing around early items so multiple units can use them on a turn with trade chains.