What are the best TV series you ever watched?

Roland

Last time, I asked what you all thought were the most disappointing TV series you've ever watched. Now, I ask the opposite. What are the best TV shows, be it animated or live action, that you have seen.

Mine are: 

• Batman The Animated Series: This really was a show I didn't learn to appreciate until later in life. The one thing this show didn't way better than others was giving the antagonists human qualities. Almost every single bad guy in this show has some aspect to them, like Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, and Clayface. The noir asthetic the show went for also fir really well with the tone of the show. 
  • Samurai Jack: I've become convinced that Genndy Tartikovski is one the greatest animators alive, and his most famous work, Samurai Jack, is proof of that. The whole show is animated very well, and it has some of the best action in any show I've ever watched. Not to mention, Aku is just an awesome villian.
  • Avatar The Last Airbender: Loved this show as kid, and I still love it now. Nearly everything, from the story, to the characters, to the amazing action was spot on.
  • Teen Titans: Probably one of the better "Superhero Team" shows that I've watched. I really loved the dynamic between the Titans, and the show handles it's humor better than most shows I've watched. That's not to say that the show can't get serious, as any episode with Slade (AKA Deathstroke) will show you.
  • The Twilight Zone: I didn't know what to expect going into this show that started out in 1959. I almost expected it to be a classic that was good back then, but hasn't really aged well. Needless to say, I was glad to be wrong. The Twilight Zone is weird, yet captivating with great episodes like The Howling Man, It's A Good Life, The Obsolete Man, The Masks, The Eye of The Beholder, Time Enough At Last, and To Serve Man really highlighting what the show was capable of.

I quite enjoy the Arrowverse shows. I'm sad that Arrow's ending but given it being involved in this year's crossover, it's going out with a bang.

I also like Doctor Who and a handful of anime that are on a break right now.

While not an active follower I've never seen a bad episode of NCIS or Castle, but then again I may just like crime drama. 

My favourite show is (as I am a filthy weeb) Mob Psycho 100 the animation, storytelling and humor are some of the best around although the artstyle takes a little getting used to. 

Don't watch that many shows, but I do remember some that I like.

Star Trek the Next Generation & Voyager; While I don't consider myself a huge Star Trek fan, I do really like these two shows for the interesting ideas they tackle and Sci-fi elements. Sure, there are some episodes that aren't stellar but when it's good, it's amazing.

Cowboy Bebop; The only anime I liked from what I've seen (which tbh isn't a lot). Just like Star Trek it's Sci-fi which is a genre I really like because of the themes they can tackle, Cowboy Bebop however sacrifices some of the more strange philosophical elements for a more character-driven story with action that still looks great. While there are parts I dislike (the kid sidekick comes to mind) they're not big enough to take the focus away from the great things the show has to offer.

Bojack Horseman; Haven't seen that many episodes but what I've seen is pretty great (and depressing, which is the reason I haven't finished the show).

I want to give an honourable mention to Game of Thrones. The only reason I don't like it that much is because of the excessive violence and nudity which often distract from the elements I like (the politics, characters and setting).

1 hour ago, LJwalhout said:

Don't watch that many shows, but I do remember some that I like.

Star Trek the Next Generation & Voyager

You speaking of Star Trek and memory reminded me that I also quite enjoy The Orville.

Life on Mars: this was one of the best I've seen, it starts out with a modern detective somehow time traveling to the 1970s and being a detective there.  I don't want to give away anymore of the plot, but the ending of the series is the best I have ever seen.

Have gun will travel: I love black and white westerns, but this one is my favorite.  The main character is a "gun fighter" but not your typical one and is very highly educated so if you have read some classics the quotes can be fun.

Saiyuki every one of the several seasons/sub series:  I love kick butt main characters that live by their own rules but still fight the "good" fight.  Saiyuki is an anime series with MCs that do just that and they are written with flaws so they are not perfect which is nice.

My brother's been on a doctor show kick and I'm reminded how freaking good House is. He's been streaming it on his ipad.

I also really like That 70s Show growing up. First few seasons were excellent.

And Avatar: The Last Airbender was great too. I generally think kids these days have way better cartoons based on what I've seen, but they didn't have this one.

Edited by Glennstavos

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated: Man, this show was a real treat. It took the Scooby Doo formula everyone knows and loves and expanded it. It developed the Mystery Gang into real people and the show in general has some really good writing. This was when Scooby Doo peaked.

Doctor Who: The sci-fi show. It can get dumb and some episodes range from meh to bad but the show itself is fascinating. It's been airing for 56 years now and most episodes manage to be entertaining. Even the Classic Who episodes. Classic Who episodes have a charm to them, even though they haven't really aged well (especially the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Doctor eras).

There's also a bunch of anime but i'll leave those out as we'll be here all day. I wanna keep this post anime-free.

Sons of Anarachy: Just my kinda style of tv show plus i love motorcycles.

Game of thrones: its amazing and deserves the hype.

Kurokos no basketball: the best sports anime ever created.

Bleach: first anime i ever watched when i was 4 years old, ive rewatched it 3 times lol. 

Phineas and Ferb: I more or less grew up on this show. I remember when the first episode aired, and I was there for that... or at least I think I was, I can't remember. Anyway, I was hooked on the show for a long time, and I don't think I missed new episodes airing on Fridays. I remember seeing the ad for it on Disney Channel, and I saw that it was premiering at 7. I thought that it meant that it was premiering in the morning, so I asked my mom if I could stay at home to watch it instead of going to school. She told me no, but then I realized that it was gonna be at night. I also recall having a dream that their was gonna be a movie, and not too long after, it was announced that there was gonna be a movie, and I was super hyped. Overall, I have fond memories of Phineas and Ferb. I haven't seen Milo Murphy's Law, but I hear that it's really good, too.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I didn't initially watch it on TV, but it's watchable on TV, so it counts as a TV show. I was hanging out with a friend one night a few years ago, and he said he had wanted to show me an anime that he thought that I would like. I did end up liking it (a lot), and I went ahead and binge-watched the rest of the series until I had caught up, and I've been watching the show ever since. I absolutely love seeing the genealogy of the Joestar family and how it switches protagonists each time. It's what I think makes the series stand out so much, apart from the endless memes that it's spawned. It's consistent inconsistencies are what make the show so memorable.

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: This is mainly just nostalgia, but this show was great. If there was a definitive Disney Channel show, I think that this would be it. It's the only one that I can consistently remember (other than Phineas and Ferb), and it's the only one that I quote on an almost daily basis. Mr. Moseby is the greatest character in anything ever, and you can't convince me otherwise.

I have more shows, but it would be mostly anime, so I'll save that for another time.

The first 5 seasons of the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Person of Interest.
Marvel/Netflix's Daredevil.
Stranger Things.
Cowboy Bebop.
Courage the Cowardly Dog.
The first 4-5 seasons of SpongeBob.

11 hours ago, indigocean said:

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: This is mainly just nostalgia, but this show was great. If there was a definitive Disney Channel show, I think that this would be it. It's the only one that I can consistently remember (other than Phineas and Ferb), and it's the only one that I quote on an almost daily basis. Mr. Moseby is the greatest character in anything ever, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Would you like am or fm?

I dunno, just did that for the meme.

I remember liking Regular Show a lot, I guess. FMA May technically count, too. I do not watch TV much anymore. Thankfully, I at least have Netflix to watch some of these shows.

9 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Would you like am or fm?

I dunno, just did that for the meme.

That's the one line that I quote on at least a weekly basis. It always gets people to laugh, or at the very least chuckle. It's such an awesome line.

• Adventure Time: My childhood incarnate.
  • The Office: Perhaps my favorite comedy ever. I dropped it when Michel left though.
  • RWBY: The amount of hate this show gets is unbelievable. 90% of the "criticisms" this show gets is false. 

21 hours ago, indigocean said:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I didn't initially watch it on TV, but it's watchable on TV, so it counts as a TV show. I was hanging out with a friend one night a few years ago, and he said he had wanted to show me an anime that he thought that I would like. I did end up liking it (a lot), and I went ahead and binge-watched the rest of the series until I had caught up, and I've been watching the show ever since. I absolutely love seeing the genealogy of the Joestar family and how it switches protagonists each time. It's what I think makes the series stand out so much, apart from the endless memes that it's spawned. It's consistent inconsistencies are what make the show so memorable.

Ayy! I love Jojo too! Parts 2 and 3 are my favorite. What about you?

4 minutes ago, Decerd said:
  • RWBY: The amount of hate this show gets is unbelievable. 90% of the "criticisms" this show gets is false. 

90% of the criticism towards RWBY is false? Such as...? 

Edited by Roland

19 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Oh no. Hell, no. I'm not falling for this shit again.

All I did was ask what criticisms against RWBY you thought were false, seeing as how you said 90% of them were? What are you talking about?

Image result for confused meme

For varying versions:

• Daredevil
  • Star Trek: Deep Space 9
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Malcolm in the Middle
  • Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Narcos
  • Wakfu
  • Better Call Saul
Edited by Jingle Jangle

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Ayy! I love Jojo too! Parts 2 and 3 are my favorite. What about you?

Part 4. It's a complete departure from the first 3 parts since it's not dealing with a high stakes threat like Dio or the Pillar Men. Rather, it's plot and setting are seemingly about as low stakes as the series gets, and it's so dumb, but I freaking love it.

Part 2 is also definitely up there, too. Uh, quick spoiler for the end of Part 2.

Spoiler

Joseph walking in on his own funeral is simultaneously the most hilarious and most badass moment in the entire series.