Is it worth it to play Mystery of the Emblem?

Captain Avian

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Erm, I don't think fire magic is effective against mage dragons. Speaking of which, instead of negating magic entirely like was the case in other Archanea games, they have capped resistance, meaning your mages won't harm them without resorting to powerful magic spells (as opposed to not being able to do anything to them period).

I forgot that mage dragons and ice dragons were different in Mystery.  They look almost identical.

Also, Medeus in Book 2 completely negates magic attacks, so it's impossible to defeat him with mages, and very difficult to defeat him with all other units besides Marth and Tiki.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, Fenreir said:

few things:

- stats are capped at 20, so if you have enough stats-boosting consumable items, you can maximize units even before promotion;

- some classes like mercenaries or archers always keep their single main weapon type even after promotion, while mages and sisters can get access to staffs and tomes. in other words, it's always useful to promote them as soon as they level up to lv10;

- Knights, Pegasus knights and Dragon knights use lances as mounted units, while they use swords when dismounted;

- you need to dismount in order to enter buildings with mounted units;

- Pegasus knights will loose their resistance in exchange for more defensive/offensive stats after promotion, so if you want to keep them as anti-mage units, it would be wise to not promote them at all;

- Manaketes are very strong and don't require much leveling in order to be useful;

- arenas have "RNG soft caps" that will start showing up after reaching level 10 with any unit. all the battles past that level will become either very hard or just impossible to win, so it would be wise to get the units you want to promotion level and then leave the arenas to someone else.

- Devil swords work very well against Earth dragons, but they can also backfire and hit you instead. use at your own risk.

Aaaah Thracia caps! Weirdly was one of my favorite parts of Fe5. Promote at 10 (i usually do anyway unless there is some external reason not to). Eh dismount seem legit to me. Thanks for the peg knight tip that might come in handy, and particular reason/time to need a MAGEKILLER? NIce! I like dragons (Even weird ones like Bantu). Rng soft capped arena sweet damn! i'm liking this game more the more I hear! Devil sword in emergencies (or when feeling masochistic) got it! Thanks for the input!

On 4/9/2019 at 4:09 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yup.

For a few tips on dealing with reinforcements in Book 2, I'm just putting it in spoilers if you don't want it:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Do not play Chapters 8 & 9 slowly, otherwise expect elite enemies to show up and bite you in the rear. Get Marth to the villages and then get him to seize, you don't get many spare turns here.
  • For Chapter 6, the enemies will spawn from your starting position a few turns in, fortunately you've plenty of chokepoints here to hold out. And if you choose to open the western door, make sure Ogma or Caeda are right next to it first.
  • For Chapter 16- it isn't reinforcements, but be warned that if you get close enough, the enemies will open the locked door on their own and attack.
  • Apparently Chapter 19 has reinforcements if you get really close to the castle, but it has to be really really close. Simply getting near the forts around it won't do it.
  • For Chapter 12, I think the only reinforcements come from the three forts east of your starting position. FE12 changed it and added Flying Dragon reinforcements, which is just evil.
  • For the final final fight with Medeus, save all 3 or 2 uses of the Again Staff, and after you take a turn or two for moving in, use Again to make things much easier.

This comment will probably be the reason I finish this game if I do! Soooo appreciated, thanks dude!

On 4/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, Shadow Mir said:
  • As stats cap at 20, don't be afraid to promote early
  • In book 2, you'll need to use Sirius, Merric, Julian, and Minerva for the endgame
  • A good mage who can use Starlight is a must if you want to have an easy time with Medeus
  • Speaking of, the good ending in book 2 requires getting all 5 orbs; the Star Orb requires getting the 12 shards and seeing Gotoh.
  • Only knights and generals can use lances indoors (mounted units are forced to dismount indoors).
  • You need to hustle in book 2 chapter 8 - Hardin is on the map, and he has maxed stats. He starts moving after several turns, too. Ditto for the next chapter - a bunch of enemies show up, with one of them using an Archanean Regalia.

Sirius, Merric, Julian and Minerva (who wouldn't use Minerva/flying things anyway) are on the team! Starlight thanks got it! Who's a good wielder of the tome? Get orbs not only cause I assume their awesome (they seem like scrolls from thracia so i'm there), but because they have PLOT ARMOR! So indoor maps mean whole buncha sword dudes got it. Hardin is such a dick, i'm glad he might not kill me. I appreciate the help!

21 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Nah, this is a fine place to ask.

Apart from what everyone else said...

• When mounted units start hitting their stat caps (20, like everyone's been saying), start having them fight unmounted.  Or rather, have them level unmounted.  Reason being is that those stats will remain lower when they're unmounted unless they gain some levels while on foot.  If they hit their stat caps unmounted, they'll always retain 20 in those stats regardless of if they're mounted or not.
  • The Star Shards in Book 2 - along with the Star Orb itself - all boost growth rates for any unit that holds them.  For the shards, the boosts are listed here, and for the orb, it boosts all growths (including the normally immovable resistance stat) by 30%, which is huge.  The key to using these effectively is handing them off to units close to leveling up, which means frequently trading them between units.  Would say for determining who carries which shards, look at which stats they're bad with and consider whether or not you want them to improve those stats.
  • This is one of the only games where certain types of magic has effectiveness against certain types of dragons (e.g. fire magic is effective against ice/mage dragons, Blizzard is effective against fire dragons, etc.).
  • Speaking of effectiveness, the amount of damage you should deal against an enemy you're effective against is the effective damage (displayed at the bottom of a unit's battle stats) minus the enemy's defense against whatever damage type they're dealing (strength or magic).  Basically, if you want to try to figure out how much attack power you have with an effective weapon, don't try to do any math because it shows you right there so long as your unit is equipped with the effective weapon.
  • Also, dragons' breath attacks ignore all defenses.  The only exception is when the dragons fight other dragons.  So for everyone except Tiki and Bantu, when you see that a dragon's attack power is 20, that means your guy is taking 20 damage unless they can kill the dragon in one hit.
  • Thieves, fighters, dancers, manaketes, and Marth don't have promotions.  If there's anyone you ought to save stat boosters for, it's Marth, because you kinda really need him to be good, particularly in both stories' endgames because the final boss always is basically impervious to any and all attacks made by any weapons other than Falchion or Tiki's Misty Breath (which she gets when she transforms using the Divine Dragonstone).
  • Units actually have two inventories; they have a weapon inventory and an item inventory, each with a capacity of four.  When Marth gets the Fire Emblem, it takes up an item space for the rest of the game.  Also, staves count as items instead of weapons.
  • There are no axe users in Book 2, so any axes you acquire there can only be sold to vendors.  Yes, this is one of those games where wyvern lords don't use axes.  It's just as disappointing a fact as it is in Gaiden/Echoes.
  • Weapon rank isn't separated into weapon types.  It is all a universal stat, known as "weapon level", which only increases during level ups.  In other words, you can't train weapon levels like you can in most other FE games, you have to cross your fingers and hope they keep getting weapon levels during their level ups (or just use the star items).

Fight unmounted! That's pretty cool actually! Star Spheres = Scrolls (except i'm assuming the don't negate crits). Mage kills dragon, and dragons probably kill my dudes so gets so get some nerds! I'm not in complete understanding of the effectiveness damage tip but i'm sure it'll make more sense when i see it after replying to these wonderful comments and starting the game! (I'm weirdly kinda hype, i've never even seen an LP on this game). Marths get the drugs coolio! No promo for fighters? weird. Thieves don't need promos, neither do dancers so cool with me. Two 4 slot inventories (Tellius games seed got it). AXES ARE BAD UMM KAY ONLY BAD GUYS USE BAD MAN WEAPON MMMM KAY.  Weapon lvl so kinda like the 3 chapters of TRS i managed to get through got it. Thank for the advice!

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

^That reminds me: The final boss in both books halves your attack power, meaning you need a very powerful weapon to do damage. 

Erm, I don't think fire magic is effective against mage dragons. Speaking of which, instead of negating magic entirely like was the case in other Archanea games, they have capped resistance, meaning your mages won't harm them without resorting to powerful magic spells (as opposed to not being able to do anything to them period).

WHAT?! A fire emblem boss has some dumb weird mechanic that only works for them and only probably happens on the last map?! what world is this?

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I forgot that mage dragons and ice dragons were different in Mystery.  They look almost identical.

Also, Medeus in Book 2 completely negates magic attacks, so it's impossible to defeat him with mages, and very difficult to defeat him with all other units besides Marth and Tiki.

Okay so Medeus is a bigger dick than Hardin got it! 

You guys have been super helpful and I really value all the input! I'm not known around here at but i'd like to get more involved (I play alot of Fire Emblem and don't have any friends in life that play)! Should I try to do my first LP ever, (and first really post ever on Serenes Forest) be a Fe3 LP? 

1 hour ago, Wakenjake said:

Marths get the drugs coolio!

There are Secret Shops in both Books which sell unlimited non-Boots and Talisman statboosters at the end. Find them and Marth can just load up on those. All he really needs is HP/Str/Skl for Medeus slaying, since Medeus always has 0 AS and negates Marth's Def (unlike FE12- where Lunatic Medeus has 30 Spd and Marth needs to cap his Spd just to live against him). This said, he loves the Boots too.

Units other than Marth and Tiki can hurt Medeus, just not as much, and they need the Regalia and at least 12 Str to hurt him.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

So

This is one thing you'd probably rarely hear because usually when people talk about Dismounting it carried negative conotation
Contrary to what you'd expect Dismount is actually A BUFF for mounted class, objectively speaking Mount is better with dismount around than it is without dismount. This is because dismounting gives you sword access and theres much better choices of weapon in Sword than it is in Lance.

While it IS true, it reduces your stats, the switch into Sword actually make the stats loss on AS a break even. You do get reduced bulk and power but its something that can be worked around

I guess the point is don't think of dismount entirely as a limitation to the mounted class, and think of it more as a something extra the mounted class can utilize to their advantage FORCED DISMOUNT is the nerf to Mount. Dismount itself is a huge boon that is kinda broken on Pegasus Knights, giving them Lady Sword and removing flier weakness. Dismount in FE3 was so powerful, it was what leads into Thracia introducing their form of Weapon Rank to finally give a limitation to horsies

8 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

This is because dismounting gives you sword access and theres much better choices of weapon in Sword than it is in Lance.

Yeah, it took me a little time to realize playing Chapter 1 Book 1 why Abel, Cain, and Jagen were having such a hard time killing enemies. Turned out it's best to dismount them for fighting until they get a few Spd procs, due to Lances being heavier than Swords.

16 hours ago, Wakenjake said:

Aaaah Thracia caps! Weirdly was one of my favorite parts of Fe5. Promote at 10 (i usually do anyway unless there is some external reason not to).

in terms of gameplay, Thracia 776 is basicly an improved version of Mystery with more features. if you already played that, you will probably find out that many things are quite similar in both games.

usually in games with very limited stats, or no level reset after promotion, it doesn't matter much when you promote a unit, especially when you also have stats-boosting items.

it's always wise to give priority to units that can unlock different weapons/items after promotion though, in case there's a limited amount of promotion Seals available that can be shared between units. characters that will always use a single type of weapon can just wait and keep improving their stats meanwhile.

there's also some specific units that will start strong and eventually become beasts after promotion. to be more specific: Ogma, Merric, Bantu, Tiki.

i'm not saying you should use only them since the party choice is yours and there's also plenty of other useful units, but they will always help if given enough care, and a lot too.

Another thing that came to me:

Book 2's endgame is a three-parter, and the characters you select for the first part are the only ones you can access for the other parts.