Will Genealogy of the Holy War be the next remake?

Zihark11

Will Genealogy of the holy war be the next remake?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Will Genealogy of the holy war be the next remake?

2 hours ago, vercio said:

Am I the only one who wishes to have just new FE games? Today we have great fantranslations for the original games, and there's no actual need for remaking. At least imo. I would prefer a two year hiatus for a new FE17 which keeps going on Fodlan mythology or something new, rather than something "cheap" and "easy" such as a remake.

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

While it's definitely nice to have new games, you do have to keep in mind that there are a lot of new fans who are interested in trying out the older games, but are against piracy. There is benefit to remaking the older games that way newer fans can play them without having to resort to piracy. Not to mention, the older games really do need updating cuz they are really outdated at this point.

I agree with both of these statements. 2017 was an especially fatiguing year for Fire Emblem as we were bombarded with crossovers and only a remake of the worst game in the series as far as "main series content". It wasn't clear at the time that they hadn't yet begun development on Three Houses before it was soft-announced at the beginning of the year. So a drought of information lasting 18 months was painful. It would be equally painful if no "Fire Emblem Switch" were announced as well. On the other hand if you make a remake of the games, I'm buying it in a heartbeat. They released FE1 without a translation onto the switch and I couldn't help myself since it was on the switch instead of a ROM on my computer I need to patch and load for each play session. I may do the same if Gaiden appears on the Famicom library. Neither of these are "new" games for me. I've played their remakes, but just having them commercially available is always ideal for me, personally. I want to play these games, but I'd be happy to wait in order to get them in a more official capacity.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

While it's definitely nice to have new games, you do have to keep in mind that there are a lot of new fans who are interested in trying out the older games, but are against piracy. There is benefit to remaking the older games that way newer fans can play them without having to resort to piracy. Not to mention, the older games really do need updating cuz they are really outdated at this point.

I understand, but I disagree. You can literally buy used games for this. Yes, I know they range XYZ amount of money and some (Tellius) games are expensive. But buying a used game and playing the translated version has to me the same "politically correct" effect as buying a new game from a store or a used from someone. Ethics can flow into a phenomenon of supporting Software Houses, and not the game itself.

Then, please give me your definition of outdated. Most of the time that means "Features I would like to be removed from the game because it would make it better in my eyes". And if you stand for that, I disagree. I disagree because:
1) There isn't a perfect Fire Emblem, yet. There's maybe a Fire Emblem you personally enjoy more than the others, but there's no such thing as a game which keeps changing formulas of some sort. That results in always not-perfect but at least enjoyable experiences. Even for Revelations or for the most hated game of the franchise.
2) Since every game has tailored mechanics to the context of the game, despite not enjoying each and every feature of every single game, I do recognize the fact that they are very contextual. Even in Revelations.

In conclusion. Will I buy a new remake for FE? Yes, at this point i'd buy Fire Emblem underwear since i'm a fan. Can I hope they stop pushing out random titles and stick with the main saga? Yes I do.

30 minutes ago, vercio said:

I understand, but I disagree. You can literally buy used games for this. Yes, I know they range XYZ amount of money and some (Tellius) games are expensive. But buying a used game and playing the translated version has to me the same "politically correct" effect as buying a new game from a store or a used from someone. Ethics can flow into a phenomenon of supporting Software Houses, and not the game itself.

Then, please give me your definition of outdated. Most of the time that means "Features I would like to be removed from the game because it would make it better in my eyes". And if you stand for that, I disagree. I disagree because:
1) There isn't a perfect Fire Emblem, yet. There's maybe a Fire Emblem you personally enjoy more than the others, but there's no such thing as a game which keeps changing formulas of some sort. That results in always not-perfect but at least enjoyable experiences. Even for Revelations or for the most hated game of the franchise.
2) Since every game has tailored mechanics to the context of the game, despite not enjoying each and every feature of every single game, I do recognize the fact that they are very contextual. Even in Revelations.

In conclusion. Will I buy a new remake for FE? Yes, at this point i'd buy Fire Emblem underwear since i'm a fan. Can I hope they stop pushing out random titles and stick with the main saga? Yes I do.

The issue with buying used games is, as you stated, some of them can be hard to find (Tellius games, anyone?) or expensive (again, the Tellius games, which you'll likely find going for 90+ dollars on eBay and the like - I think they're good, but not so good that I would be justified in paying 90 dollars for them; gaming is already an expensive hobby as is). Anyway, as I see it, the Jugdral games are just really hard to play as is, and Binding Blade isn't much better.