New Heroes Arrive : Out of Gallia (April 10~)

Coolmanio

47 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  Hide contents

1554774361371.png

Hide contents

Haar looks pretty handsome, more brown belts too.

Spoiler

Superior Dracoknight in terms of art for sure

Wish he had better Skills though. They couldn't have given him...anything...over Guard, a Skill we just got on Naesala? Chill Def, something...anything?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

Ranulf slower and weaker than Lethe? That is a disservice. Although he is fairly tanky so maybe it’s not all that bad but still... I’m slightly salty about that

Mordecai actually has some decent stats. 39 def makes him have the highest base def out of the infantry units and 37 is tied for 3rd highest atk among infantry. His weapon still seems too niche to see any use though but at least he’s good stat-wise 

Haar got screwed too. Basically the same problem as Gerome where he’s an inferior Cherche in everything sans def. At least he’s still handsome.

Well, at least Caineghis is good but that was expected.

15 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:
  Hide contents

@Anacybele Same. Was expecting him to be a bit more of a well-rounded unit. Maybe something along the lines of 39/34/34/33/17. It does seem weird that he's weaker than Lethe when he was always the strongest of the cats.

Exactly! I don't know what IS was thinking.

Spoiler

Ranulf really should have higher attack than Lethe.  Slower, sure, since she might have been faster, but weaker?  It feels a little like they wanted to make the girl more attractive (no pun intended) and therefore shorted the more popular guy...

Also, poor Haar.  Considering Haar and Ranulf were my most wanted units out of this banner even before seeing stats, it feels like they downgraded the most popular units.  Why?  Why would you do that?

Spoiler

Those stats were pretty much like what I expected (Lethe's Atk is a little higher than I thought but not by a lot, I thought she'd have 31-32). 

So yeah, nothing too impressive here. I'd like to give Lethe a try but it's extremely hard to justify using her when Tibarn does her job better 99% of the time. 

Haar reminds me of his PoR version where he's quite unremarkable, but IS insists it is the RD version which doesn't really fit stat wise. 

Ranulf is a worse Kaden as I suspected, he really needs the Atk boon to be competitive.

Mordecai is looking pretty good. His weapon is still wonky outside of AR due to it's activation conditions but he'll be a really good wall with the proper investment, I hope he gets demoted as I found him really endearing in PoR.

Caineghis needs to be +Res to make the most out of his EP tank niche but that aside he's really strong (in the player hands, the AI isn't going to be very good with him just like with Duma).

3 minutes ago, Venmi said:
Spoiler

Also, poor Haar.  Considering Haar and Ranulf were my most wanted units out of this banner even before seeing stats, it feels like they downgraded the most popular units.  Why?  Why would you do that?

This too. Seriously, why? :sob:

As great as Caineghis looks to be, a ranged counter isn't currently what I'm looking for in my armoured team, and I essentially never pull for fodder. (A Surtr counter is. I just lost an AA 1st match on intermediate difficulty of all things because the opponent had two Surtrs, BK couldn't do anything to him, and Grima was spent after one Surtr. Jesus Christ, I feel like I finally, truly understand the complaints now.)

So with that in mind, my freebie orbs will all be going towards Lethe. I probably lean towards red on any banner at the moment anyway since I'd really love for Ares to be my next +10 project.

3 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Been meaning to mention this but the Japanese banner name is opposite of the English one: "In Gallia"

Another thing to mention, the Japanese name of the banner is "ガリアにて", which is the name of Chapter 9 of Path of Radiance in Japanese, simply localized as "Gallia" in English.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We can't really tell with Stefan, since we've no instances of him fighting against other powerful characters or being spoken of in lore as strong.

This said, Branded blood is part of what makes Zelgius so strong, alongside training devotedly under Greil. Soanevalcke having the blood of an ancient hero as opposed to any old Laguz should in this regard make Stefan even better than Zelgius.

From a gameplay perspective, Stefan does come with S/SS Swords and the lore-less S/SS Sword of Tellius- the Vague Katti. In PoR he is uniquely the only non-Laguz Royal playable to come with an Occult/Mastery Skill- Astra (however, one generic boss does have their Mastery, besides the BK). He also trains PoR Ike (which is weaker than RD Ike by a good deal) in a Base Conversation, with the reward for it being an Occult scroll. His PoR stats are also far beyond what you'd think someone for his join time would have.

So Stefan is a cut above the ordinary, and I could see him surviving a round of combat with Ike or Zelgius or Caineghis (who I think Stefan would be genuinely interested in meeting, he has an interest in the Beasts), but who he could beat and who he couldn't we simply don't have the evidence to know.

A beta version of Tellius does say he was in the Begnion Army before leaving due to fame interfering with his peaceful mastery of the sword. But this Stefan might not have been Branded, and if he were to count, then a beta Chrom who led the Martian Kingdom of Epsilon with the Plasma Rifle of Seals also deserves to count.

Thanks for the post. I was wondering because I know Stefan as this weird powerful unit you can have join your ranks, but with me not having played the Tellius games and the Tellius games having so many characters, I wasn't sure what he was exactly beyond really powerful unit who was not important to the story, but had some leftover details that link him to the lore of the series or possibly could have implied a more important role in the series even if it was for the backstory. At the same time it also makes him an interesting character since not every powerful character needs to be known or be involved in the story. They can be off doing their own thing and show up here and there. That said, talking about power levels is fun at times.

And then Haar...

Spoiler

The weapon and stats I expected, but seriously, really? Let's make Haar, one of the most voted characters and an axe flier a GHB unit instead of a summonable one so that we can have more than just the launch axe fliers in the regular summoning pool. Sure, everyone gets him, but people who want to +10 him won't be able to do that easily or quickly. We already have Cherche 2.0 through her son Gerome where at least he comes with Poleaxe instead of a Brave Axe where while it make senses because he has a Brave Axe in his starting inventory in PoR, a bunch of people would have already inherited a Brave Axe to Gerome or Cherche before she gained her personal Brave Axe. Haar having Firesweep Axe would have been annoying, but at least that would have been different. Or even give him a Slaying Axe or Slaying Hammer not a freaking Brave Axe which you can get from Barst, Camilla, and Raven. Or better, a personal axe even if it was a personal Brave Axe.

Haar is Cherche without her axe or ability to be summoned, Gerome without a default Poleaxe, Michalis without Hauteclere in favor for 3 more base attack, and I would even go far as to say Beruka without a Killer Axe and resistance even though her resistance isn't that great. At least Finn was a gen 2 melee cavalry, so he had higher stats than Camus. Haar doesn't have that.

Now the axe fliers in the regular summoning pool and from GHB and TT looks like this:

• Regular
    • Beruka: 46/29/23/37/22
    • Camilla: 37/30/32/28/31
    • Cherche: 46/38/25/32/16
    • Minerva: 40/31/33/32/22.
  • GHB
    • Haar: 45/37/25/36/18.
    • Michalis: 43/34/26/35/19.
    • Narcian: 42/29/29/32/26.
  • TT
    • Gerome: 45/38/25/34/19.

Four of them have the exact same stat spread, but only one of them is summonable. Only one of them has a high resistance stat while all the others have low resistance or average in Narcian's case. None of them have >= 35 base neutral speed. The closest is Minerva at 33 base speed and Camilla at 32.

Edited by Kaden

Spoiler

What is up with IS making popular male characters into underwhelming free units?

Haar is litteraly Cherche with -1/-1/0/+4/+2, which becomes even worse when you factor in her pref weapon.  Even if I like Haar, why would I spend precious resources like Grails on a unit worse than a 2 year old 3-4* I can much more easily merge? They couldn't even make his kit interesting. Good job ruining another fan favorite IS.

Also, I'm terrified of facing Caineghis in AR. I use my Micaiahs to deal with armors usually, but Caineghis has DC and effectively gains +12 Res when attacked on top of nullifying visible buffs and he's colorless. Even with weapon effectiveness, I won't be able to 1 shot him with either of my Micaiahs. As if AR armors sitting in a corner weren't already an absolute pain...

56 minutes ago, Landmaster said:
  Hide contents

Superior Dracoknight in terms of art for sure

Wish he had better Skills though. They couldn't have given him...anything...over Guard, a Skill we just got on Naesala? Chill Def, something...anything?

Spoiler

I wasn't sure how Haar was supposed to fit the theme of this banner, but I see he's a sexy beast, so he fits right in.

I mean, Haar's spread being similar to Cherche's says less about Haar not having a good spread, because he does, and says more about how ridiculously optimized Cherche's spread is. I mean I guess they could have dumped his combined +6 def/res all into attack for a 43 base and he'd be more optimized, but he still has a pretty ideal spread for a brave user. Sure none of his skills are super premium fodder, but Guard and Def wave are still both good skills. I don't know if people were expecting a "top tier" buff or something with +30 bst, but what he has is well distributed.

As for Ranulf, he's more defensively focused than Lethe, having 10 more def than her at neutral when considering weapon. That's considerable extra bulk, and it's not like his practical 36(+2 and -4 def for opponent if transformed)/37 spread isn't still a solid offensive line. With Lethe specced super heavily into offense, if she didn't have sizeable offensive leads then Ranulf's extra bulk would invalidate her hard. And it isn't like Cain isn't ridiculous and Mordy isn't a brick wall. I wouldn't call the dudes exactly shafted here. Within striking distance of best in class and "isn't objectively better than the girl" aren't what I'd call death sentences if you like the unit in question, both look plenty solid.

For Haar's stats,

Spoiler

I don't really see too much of a problem.

If you want to invest in him, just toss his Brave Axe and give him a Slaying Axe. He's basically a bulkier version of Michalis, but can't do Noontime shenanigans.

Compare him to Michalis instead of Cherche.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

First his color is wrong

I do not remember Laguz having any official or "correct" colors. Dark tomes, light tomes, bows, daggers, manaketes, and Laguz had no color until Heroes came along, so any color feels just as right as colorless.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Ranulf to have such low Atk.

@bottlegnomes, @NegativeExponents-, @Venmi.

If it makes you guys feel any better, all beast cavalry comes with an innate Atk/Def/Res+4 (it is technically foe's Atk/Def-4) on top of their Atk+2 built into their Weapon when transformed, so they basically have Sturdy-Mirror Impact, so Ranulf's Atk is actually pretty decent compared to other units.

Edited by XRay

Spoiler

@XRay For me personally it's not his quality as a unit so much as that it seems weird given the source material. In general, Heroes seems like it tries to stick to the basic gist of the source even if they do take some liberties. That one aspect is just kinda a "Wait, what? Why?" As opposed to Haar and Rutger's "Oh, fuck you, IS."

Anyone else remember when it seemed like they were at least trying to make GHB and TT units have a niche that set them apart even if they weren't top tier units? I guess that got to be too much effort. Like really, at least give Haar steady stance 3 (Sturdy Stance if they were really feeling generous) and QR at 4* (because that's still not a thing for God knows why) so he's a pre-built EP flier tank to at least set him apart a tiny bit. At least something to make him stand out. We already have a def wave from Silas and guard really isn't that special of a skill. Plus come on, that axe in his art screams badass personal weapon.

Haar's stats don't bother me or even his base kit. It's what they did with him, Gerome, and by extension, the axe fliers in the regular summoning that pisses me off. At launch and a little later, we had Alfonse, Chrom, Hinata sort of, Laslow, and Seliph all with the same stat spread. Granted, three of them came with personal weapons letting them stand out more easily, but they were always there and except for Alfonse, you could get an infinite amount of them fairly easily. Cherche, Gerome, Haar, and Michalis? Cherche is your only summonable option as Gerome was a TT unit where TT unit reruns happen once in a blue moon while Haar and Michalis are GHB where Michalis is an old GHB, so a lot of copies of him were available if you played from the start. It's easier to get them as everyone can be guaranteed them by beating their map or having played when they were a TT reward in Gerome's case or using Heroic Grails to summon one of them, but you only get so many copies during your first obtains of them and there's an arbitrary 20 copy limit using Heroic Grails which are slow to come by. Even worse, Gerome is currently the only source of Poleaxe. Swords and lances do not have to deal with this bullcrap even though Gray is a 5* only summon who has recently been removed from future new heroes and new seasonal summons. At least you can summon for him and an infinite number of him, but Gerome? Yeah, 22 copies, 2 from the TT if you were playing then and the 20 copy limit, and you're done. Why you would need 22 Poleaxes is beyond me, but the principle still stands and that is axe fliers and for that matter, axe cavalry and axes in general for weapon inheritance get fucked over by the dumbest of things.

Edited by Kaden

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

If it makes you guys feel any better, all beast cavalry comes with an innate Atk/Def/Res+4 (it is technically foe's Atk/Def-4) on top of their Atk+2 built into their Weapon when transformed, so they basically have Sturdy-Mirror Impact, so Ranulf's Atk is actually pretty decent compared to other units.

That helps some...  I just wish they'd stuck a little better to source material and given him higher attack than Lethe.  It's a little petty, but that's my biggest complaint- why make him weaker (as in attack) than Lethe?  But that's probably partially because I've always liked Ranulf a lot more than Lethe.

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just gave you the proof. I don't know where to find a link with the actual dialogue. But if you want more specifics, Mordecai talks about Ranulf's strength around the beginning of PoR. Laguz choosing their leaders based on strength is brought up multiple times throughout both games, I believe. Ranulf says right in Heroes as well as RD that he's Skrimir's right hand.

...Ana, we're on the forums of Serenes Forest, where there are and have been scripts to PoR and RD on the site for years. You don't know? If you remember the dialogue, then you can easily find it and link me to it (if you remember the exact words, like "royal", click on each chapter and CTRL+F to find the text). When people ask for a source, they don't expect only your word; that doesn't count as proof, at least in this situation. That's basically saying "well x said this, trust me" minus actually saying the "trust me", and I'd rather see the dialogue for myself.

Jesus Christ they did Haar dirty. A worse Cherche in every way that matters and even his skills are garbage so he offers nothing to me. He has been Canas'd.

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I'm less pleased with Lethe's stat line. People look at 38 spd and nod their heads thinking "yup, that's good for a sweeper unit" but she gets an additional +15 spd from her kit raising her to a whopping 53. That's way more spd than she even needs and she has lowish attack and dismal defenses to compensate. I wish her weapon improved her attack. Ranulf's attack is also quite low but at least he won't die when a physical unit sneezes on him.

39 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:
  Hide contents

What is up with IS making popular male characters into underwhelming free units?

Haar is litteraly Cherche with -1/-1/0/+4/+2, which becomes even worse when you factor in her pref weapon.  Even if I like Haar, why would I spend precious resources like Grails on a unit worse than a 2 year old 3-4* I can much more easily merge? They couldn't even make his kit interesting. Good job ruining another fan favorite IS.

Also, I'm terrified of facing Caineghis in AR. I use my Micaiahs to deal with armors usually, but Caineghis has DC and effectively gains +12 Res when attacked on top of nullifying visible buffs and he's colorless. Even with weapon effectiveness, I won't be able to 1 shot him with either of my Micaiahs. As if AR armors sitting in a corner weren't already an absolute pain...

Have you tried using a Desperation + Brash Assault seal combo on Miccy? I use it and it's fantastic for taking out DC armors. It should be trivially easy to get Miccy into the right HP threshold and after that, as long as she can two shot them, you can take them out pretty easily.

9 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I'm less pleased with Lethe's stat line. People look at 38 spd and nod their heads thinking "yup, that's good for a sweeper unit" but she gets an additional +15 spd from her kit raising her to a whopping 53. That's way more spd than she even needs and she has lowish attack and dismal defenses to compensate. I wish her weapon improved her attack.

She's built for tackling abyssal maps. For example, Lethe's still 2 speed off from being able to double abyssal Hero King Marth. :p

18 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Jesus Christ they did Haar dirty. A worse Cherche in every way that matters and even his skills are garbage so he offers nothing to me. He has been Canas'd.

You literally cannot compare against Cherche as a free unit intending to use Brave Axe. Period. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

You need 43 base Atk as a free unit with Brave Axe+ to have the same Atk as Cherche with Cherche's Axe. That's simply not happening.

Haar is the bulkiest of the Atk/Def-focused axe fliers. His competition is Michalis and Gerome, not Cherche.

18 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

People look at 38 spd and nod their heads thinking "yup, that's good for a sweeper unit" but she gets an additional +15 spd from her kit raising her to a whopping 53. That's way more spd than she even needs and she has lowish attack and dismal defenses to compensate.

You're forgetting that she gets an effective +10 Atk and Def and +4 Res from her base kit and transform effect.

That's 59 effective Atk, 36 effective Def, and 23 effective Res.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Oh maaaan I was pleasantly surprised to see these guys! :D Also, looks like 3:1 male:female banners are generally supplied by Tellius. No complains here! Ranulf's and Caineghis' voices surprised me, though. I expected Ranulf's to be higher and his king's to be lower. Man, I love how they're built, though! Especially Caineghis! I'm an EP fighter, and he's just built for that! Ranulf's build is cool, too! It's neat that he can support his Beorc buddies; most Laguz have to be adjacent to give bonuses to their friends, which means no transforming if said friends are Beorc. I'm just so happy that this group was all released together, too! I wonder if Giffca will make it in. Maybe alongside Skrimir someday or something. And though I love the music choice, I'm missing that March of the Lion King. Darnit, I was going to save my orbs, but I can't really skip this. IS keeps coming out with banners I like! XD

Mordecai looks like he'll demote, though.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:
  Hide contents

I wasn't sure how Haar was supposed to fit the theme of this banner, but I see he's a sexy beast, so he fits right in.

Art powercreep, the true biggest threat