Pair Up is Broken

quasimopho13

Pair up is insanely powerful!

You can switch at any time even when the unit is grayed out.

Also, you can switch at the beginning of your turn to use whoever has the highest movement!

Then you can switch back to who you want to defend on enemy phase.

Only downside is that, if one unit is defeated, they’re both defeated.

This is so much fun!

Edited by quasimopho13

I don't have any conclusive opinion about pair Up because I don't have Roy. I will have more to say when we get the new mode.

With that said, I am happy that Pair Up isn't available in Arena and Aether Raids.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

It's far from "broken" seeing as it's currently only allowed in modes that don't require any kind of Skill or strategy anyway.

If it was allowed in AR or Arena or even just Abyssal maps, then it would be broken~

Here's a question: Let's say Roy and Lilina are paired up, then a 3rd unit uses Rally Atk on Roy. Will Lilina have the +4 Atk too or just the unit that Rally was used will receive the buff?

Edited by Diovani Bressan

24 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Here's a question: Let's say Roy and Lilina are paired up, then a 3rd unit uses Rally Atk on Roy. Will Lilina have the +4 Atk too or just the unit that Rally was used will receive the buff?

Only Roy.

Things I've tested:

Start-of-turn effects only activate based on the current unit that's out. The unit in back will neither activate effects nor receive them.

Tactic skills only count the current unit that's out.

Field buffs and debuffs are not shared between characters. For example, you can use one unit to soak an enemy Gravity, then switch to the other unit to move normally. The back unit's buffs will still clear at the beginning of the turn, and debuffs will still clear after the front unit has taken an action (or you end your turn).

When counting units for quests (like Tenth Stratum movement type quests), only the unit that appears on the team roster is counted. This means you can bring, say, Legendary Azura to an infantry-only quest as Roy's pair up partner and use her instead of Roy for the entire map and still get it counted as an all-infantry team.

Things I haven't tested:

Presumably, Legendary Hero stat bonuses only apply based on the unit that appears on the team roster.

Presumably, using Restore on the unit will only clear the front unit's debuffs. It's kind of hard to get both units debuffed simultaneously to test.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Presumably, Legendary Hero stat bonuses only apply based on the unit that appears on the team roster.

Confirming this.

Aside, if you try to field the pair-up partner manually alongside Roy, then the battle is treated as if you never set up a pair-up partner for him.

Is it safe to assume that a pair of units can do Awakening style Galeforce where the pair can activate it twice per turn?

Say if I pair up Tibarn and Cordelia together and they both have Galeforce, Tibarn activates Galeforce, then I switch to Cordelia, I assume Cordelia can then also activate Galeforce?

Edited by XRay

Here's a tidbit about flying beasts someone on Reddit tested: If the flying beast unit has transformed and gained their +1 movement buff and then switched to the support unit, on the following turn, the flying beast unit will stay transformed but not get the movement buff. 

Spoiler

Edited by Flying Shogi

6 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Here's a tidbit about flying beasts someone on Reddit tested: If the flying beast unit has transformed and gained their +1 movement buff and then switched to the support unit, on the follow turn, the flying beast unit will stay transformed but not get the movement buff. 

Makes sense, I guess, though it's almost certainly an oversight. Buffs can't be applied unless you're out front, and flying beasts are the only beast type whose transformation bonus is a start-of-turn buff.

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Here's a tidbit about flying beasts someone on Reddit tested: If the flying beast unit has transformed and gained their +1 movement buff and then switched to the support unit, on the following turn, the flying beast unit will stay transformed but not get the movement buff.

That's a different kind of broken than implied by the current thread title. :P: