Why you like your favorite title in one sentence.

henrymidfields

If we can post multiple games, then here goes another one:

I like Atelier Sophie, because it's relaxing, cute, has great gameplay, cute characters, a great story and it's cute.

I like Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, because of its expansive customization options, the freedom you have to make up your own story as you play, which, to me, is a preferable alternative to an abridged version of the original RoTK novel, honestly, and the fact that you can straight up murder your least favourite DW characters (R.I.P Guan Suo!).

I like Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for its strong writing, awesome character design and great music.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is my favorite game not only because of the huge open world and massive amounts of customization and experimentation that keep me coming back for more, but it's also the game that helped me realize that a game's quality should primarily be judged by it's gameplay before visuals or story since that is the only thing that separates games from other media like books of movies.

Lord of the Rings Online lets me walk around in Middle-Earth and is surprisingly faithful to the Legendarium while also creating new things that often feel right at home in the Legendarium.

And some more games.

I love Persona 5 for having characters I can relate to, one of the best art styles in any video game I've ever played, a straightforward story that isn't ashamed to directly address several social issues, and an awesome, catchy soundtrack.

I love Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth for being the best damn Pokémon game in existence.

Bravely Default , that is all.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is a fun, challenging strategy RPG with great level design and balanced units with great variety; all combined with an incredible story of war and working together with an engaging cast of interesting characters from all over the well-constructed fantasy continent of Tellius; it's protagonist, Ike, in particular, being an incredibly well-written and unique character with an interesting arc and an amazing journey from an obscure mercenary's son to the Radiant Hero. 

NEO Scavenger: A post-apocalyptic survival roguelike where there are no zombies, ammo is rare and guns rarer, you can make a scope out of broken binoculars and a splint out of a crowbar, plastic bag, and a dead squirrel, the games combat is incredibly immersive and understandable despite being just text, you can still die after winning a fight if you don't/can't stop the bleeding, hypothermia is this games dysentery, you'll kill someone for their shoes, and all of the grey morality moments are unscripted.

Oh, yeah. And they portrayed Michigan weather accurately.

• 3 weeks later...

Pokemon XY was the first time since Generation 2 that really felt like the Pokemon version of a real-life region, and it even included someone who could have been a fictional (great-)grandson of a French right-wing extremist business magnate from the 1930s.

Xenoblade Blade Chronicles for showing that you don't need a world even remotely similar to Earth and its environments to be beautiful and interesting.

The Zero Escape series for its outstanding dialogue and character interactions.

Hotel Dusk as above. (Wish I was in Europe 'cause you lucky dogs also had Last Window!)

Dark Souls for being the embodiment of tragedy, one of my most adored aspects of fiction.

I'll mention others later on, probably.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions had J-Pop songs that even I (generally a detractor to the genre) loved to listen, had a hilarious story premise, and most importantly, helped me dive into the wondrous world of Persona!

Edited by henrymidfields

I have 4 favorites:

Kirby's Return to Dreamland has a pretty good story, a god-tier soundtrack, fun gameplay for when I want to just sit back and relax or for when I want a legitimate challenge, memorable characters (Magolor is still one of my favorite characters in gaming, if not in fiction as a whole), and nostalgic value (it was the first game I ever got 100% completion on). 

Shovel Knight has a cool retro feel (I still feel nostalgic when I play it, despite not growing up with those types of games), engaging and challenging gameplay (I'm still trying to beat the bonus challenges), a pretty good story, and really good music. 

Fire Emblem Awakening has interesting gameplay (even though I'm a filthy casual who's too afraid to dip his feet into Classic mode), an amazing story, great characters, and it makes me feel smart whenever I do well (despite my aforementioned being a fucking scrub). 

Hollow Knight is one of the prettiest games ever; it has super challenging, yet still fair, gameplay; its world is immersive, making me feel like I'm there, and the bug aesthetic can be both cute and extremely disturbing. 

Here are a few more from me (yes, I have many favourites.)

I love Okami for its beautiful art style, particularly the vibrant environments, outstanding soundtrack, its unique gameplay, fun and entertaining characters, the almost setting, its genuinely touching story and the fact that you get to play as a deified version of one of my favourite animals.

I like Stella Glow for its beautiful story, great characters, very good gameplay, and especially the awesome music.

I haven't finished it yet, but I like Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk for its writing, the genuinely heart wrenching story that sometimes descents into straight up heart breaking territory, an interesting new take on the character creation system in Etrian Odyssey and related games, and of course classic dungeon crawler gameplay with a huge party of possibly way over thirty characters at the same time (yes, that is a thing and it's glorious).

• 1 month later...