Which seasonal themes are your favourites?

Garlyle

Which seasonal themes are your favourites?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which seasonal themes are your favourites?

• New Year
    • Valentine
    • Spring Bunnies
    • Brides
    • Summer
    • Performing Artists
    • Halloween
    • Winter
    • Hot Springs
    • Picnic

I liked the first performing arts banner reasonably as despite being a seasonal, it had units and a theme that could be tied to canon.

The second one made no sense to me and I dislike even the idea of someone like Xander dressing this way and dancing.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

One, the banner is called "Festival in Hoshido", not "Hoshidan Summer".

Two, the banner shares the same theme as Performing Arts in that all of the characters have a dancer skill.

Three, the banner's timing places it as the only seasonal banner between the second summer banner and the Halloween banner, which is the same position as Performing Arts.

Four, the units in the banner do not share the same suffix in their internal name. The summer characters use "SUMMER01" and "SUMMER02". Performing Arts uses "DANCE01". Festival in Hoshido uses "BON01".

You sure? I could swear I remember it being called Hoshidan Summer. And sure, but the banner still takes place in August during summer. I prefer to consider it more a summer banner than a second Performing Arts banner. The latter's theme is specifically being performers in a show. The Hoshido banner is more about Hoshidan summer traditions that just happen to include some dancing. And as I said, it came in August rather than October.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You sure? I could swear I remember it being called Hoshidan Summer.

Yes. I'm very sure. I do my fact-checking before I post.

And sure, but the banner still takes place in August during summer.

Which is irrelevant. When we say "spring-seasonal banner", we're referring to the bunny-themed banner and not any other banner that occurs in the spring (brides). When we say "winter-seasonal banner", we're referring to the Christmas-themed banner and not any other banner that occurs in the winter (New Year, onsen, Valentine). This is due partly to how the banners are named as released ("Spring Festival", "Winter's Envoy", etc.) and partly to the internal naming scheme for the banners ("SPRING01", "WINTER02", etc.).

"Summer-seasonal banner" refers specifically to the two swimsuit-themed banners.

I prefer to consider it more a summer banner than a second Performing Arts banner. The latter's theme is specifically being performers in a show. The Hoshido banner is more about Hoshidan summer traditions that just happen to include some dancing.

The banner is a direct reference to the Bon Festival of which the Bon dance (bon odori) is the centerpiece, not just something that happens to be involved.

Festival in Hoshido is a banner specifically about dancing just as much as Performing Arts is.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which is irrelevant.

Why?

"Summer-seasonal banner" refers specifically to the two swimsuit-themed banners.

To you. Like I said, I simply don't see it that way. I prefer to say the Hoshidan banner is another variety of summer banner. Just because they're not in swimsuits and have different coding doesn't mean it isn't meant to be a summer banner. Summer can be more than just swimsuits.

Same with the spring banners. Most are more geared toward Easter and bunnies, but this new picnic banner decided to be different. It still takes place in spring though, so it is effectively another spring banner, just with a different theme than rabbits.

You can have your view, I'll have mine, okay? We can peacefully disagree, right?

Festival in Hoshido is a banner specifically about dancing just as much as Performing Arts is.

It's also still about a summer tradition since that link specifically says it takes place in August.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

We can peacefully disagree, right?

No, because you are objectively wrong.

The fact that the topic poll has these specific 10 different options and not just "spring", "summer", "fall", and "winter" or some other ambiguous categorization indicates very clearly what is being meant by "theme". It doesn't mean "theme" in the general sense, but in a sense specific to Heroes's seasonal banners. The general sense of a word is irrelevant when it has a more well-defined definition in our specific context.

This definition of "theme" divides the seasonal banners in the following manner:

• Spring: Spring Festival, Hares at the Fair, Regal Rabbits
  • Picnic: A Season for Picnics
  • Brides: Bridal Blessings, Bridal Bloom
  • Summer: Ylissean Summer, Nohrian Summer, Summer's Arrival, A Sketchy Summer
  • Dancers: Performing Arts, Festival in Hoshido
  • Halloween: Trick or Defeat!, The Land's Bounty
  • Winter: Winter's Envoy, Gifts of Winter
  • New Year: Happy New Year!, New Year's of Fire and Ice
  • Onsen: Hostile Springs
  • Valentine: Love Abounds, Greil's Devoted

This is entirely unambiguous except that Performing Arts and Festival in Hoshido can also be considered separate from each other. However, that still puts Festival in Hoshido in its own separate category rather than lumping it with the other summer banners.

You are free to disagree, but that doesn't make you any less wrong.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...No, just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make it fucking wrong, thank you.

And this is why you are wrong. It is and never was a matter of opinion in the first place. "'Seasonal themes' in Heroes refers to these 10 or 11 categories" is no more opinion than "chlorophyll is green" or "humans normally have 5 digits at the end of each limb".

Edited by Ice Dragon

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, because you are objectively wrong.

...No, just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make it fucking wrong, thank you. I tried to end this peacefully with you, but you refuse. So I'm just not going to respond anymore after this.

Me every time IceDragon and Ana have an argument.

-------

My favorite seasonals are the ones that look the most like real clothing so I give my support to the Hoshidan Festival, New Years and Valentines Day banners. Valentines Day banners also have pretty good writing and should be the standard for paralogues. The picnic banner is alright too, but I'm tired of the over-saturation of seasonals at this point.

Haha, I dare say they are both correct.
Festival in Hoshido in the context of Heroes is indeed a Dance theme,
but Summer is innately tied to it; By both the time of the real festival/banner, and even the character's dialogue. (Like
Elincia: Festival Princess' quotes for example.)  
Basically if Festival in Hoshido were a pokemon, it would have Dance as it's primary type, and Summer as it's secondary.
All in all though, I do think Dance/Preforming Arts is the best way to categorize Festival in Hoshido, as Preforming Arts paints a far clearer picture of the banner than the four Summer Banners do.

--------------------------------
As for my favorite Seasonal Themes:

-Valentines
I have really liked these banners so far,
plus flowers make me think of Spring (My favorite Season) far more than bunnies do.
(Which is rather funny considering how it takes place during Winter.)

-Picnic
I think it's a really fun banner.  I enjoy picnics and camping, so the theme was a nice surprise.
Also I quite like the somewhat (and rather) modern twist to the outfits the characters have.

-Winter
Christmas is my favorite holiday so it's hard for me to not like it.
Though I do understand the complaints about all the costumes being Santa themed & Colored.
(I kinda low-key want a picnic styled winter banner with winter fashion now.)

-Performing Artists
-New Year
...Actually while I voted for these two... I now realized I simply just like them, but not quite enough for them be favorites yet.
(Fortunately it looks like I can change my vote.)

Edited by Puzzle044

Performing Arts, because the first one felt like canon alts (I wouldn't have minded if they stayed in the permanent pool, except maybe Olivia since she was already in as a dancer with no canon alternate outfit) and the second one had a nice theme (and wasn't fanservice except for its choice of units), and Valentines, I loved the focus on family in those two. Those are the two themes where I feel like the game is adding something to the characters, not taking me for someone who will fall for empty otaku-bait.

Halloween and Bride banner, Easter, Summer kinda too but too saturated.

Dunno the others are oversaturated or are just full off armor units/flyer units which left a bad inpression on me. Wouldnt have minded if christmas had some cavalry riding reindeers or some infantry units with snowdogs etc

Just came back to this topic to see the results and what you guys wrote.

From the votes it seems like the fanservice banners and New Year banner got less likes. New Year is a bit surprising there, same goes for the winning Valentine banner for me.

33 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Just came back to this topic to see the results and what you guys wrote.

From the votes it seems like the fanservice banners and New Year banner got less likes. New Year is a bit surprising there, same goes for the winning Valentine banner for me.

Valentines doesn't surprise me. I think it hits a good note with the costumes not being too out of place so that even the people who don't like seasonals can use them. Plus both of the paralogue and TT stories have been hits, and the choices of characters have been well received both times. 

New Year makes sense to me since they never really picked an original bunch of characters - the first one claimed to be Hoshidan but had Camilla and two people who were in both routes, with only Takumi being pure Hoshidan, and the second one was just ocs, so that might show why it's lower down, maybe? 

On 25/4/2019 at 10:09 AM, Cute Chao said:

Valentines doesn't surprise me. I think it hits a good note with the costumes not being too out of place so that even the people who don't like seasonals can use them. Plus both of the paralogue and TT stories have been hits, and the choices of characters have been well received both times. 

New Year makes sense to me since they never really picked an original bunch of characters - the first one claimed to be Hoshidan but had Camilla and two people who were in both routes, with only Takumi being pure Hoshidan, and the second one was just ocs, so that might show why it's lower down, maybe? 

And this tells me people probably voted for the wrong thing. It shouldn't be about which seasonals gave you the most faves, but if you made the ideal alt of your favorite character, which theme would that alt have. When ranking themes it should be all about potential.

And the success of Valentines and Performing Arts is probably due to the people who dislike seasonals and can only accept something the characters would actually wear in their day and age. Which puts them at the opposite end of my view on seasonals. Dresses that the characters would actually wear make me fall asleep. BORING!

This is a crazy crossover game, give me bunny pajamas, witch/werewolf/vampire costumes, modern clothes like bikinis and picnic outfits, thank you very much.

55 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

This is a crazy crossover game, give me bunny pajamas, witch/werewolf/vampire costumes, modern clothes like bikinis and picnic outfits, thank you very much.

And fun mounts too! ASFP!Genny could have been riding the deer in her art.

And WOT!Reinhardt should been his horse riding Reinhardt while it wields Meisterschwert.

9 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Let's give Lucina a motocycle