Famitsu Articles Coming Out

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chitsuuki said:

It's so frustrating to doesn't know japanese in this case..

You can't make out much of what little we see in the article, and it's basically vague character introductions. The article itself also just says that we'll be getting an article about Three Houses about once a week until release, which are big news, but not exactly nitty gritty details of the game.

The only major thing about the game that this preview shows is that someone, most likely Sothis, can't remember anything but their name.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Need something for the dragon lolicon audience, I guess

Ugh... Just once, can we have a dragon main character that is not a 1000-year-old in the body of a 10-year-old girl? Once again, the Tellius games proving that they are the best. 

7 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

While I don't really like some characters' designs, ultimately I'm just glad the game seems to be taking itself more seriously, and actively wants to reference old games again mechanically and aesthetically (e.g. blue circles around units like in path of radiance, weapon durability returning, 3d models returning for the maps, etc...)

I didn't even notice the blue circles. I'm glad they brought those back, but I wish they had left behind the stupid hovering arrow. The glowing white borders were a much better tile indicator than the stupid obstructive glowing golden arrow that screams, "Look at me instead of looking at the game". 

I mean, if you look at that image of the map, there's an arrow on the ground showing the path, and the grid the player is currently scrolled on is highlighted with a golden border. That's great. But then they put that obstructive yellow arrow dangling in the air above the tile and being big, flashy and obstructive. 

If it sounds like I'm being negative, I apologize. I'm not trying to be negative; just highlight what I've seen from these images; the good and the bad. 

Edited by vanguard333

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

You can't make out much of what little we see in the article, and it's basically vague character introductions. The article itself also just says that we'll be getting an article about Three Houses about once a week until release, which are big news, but not exactly nitty gritty details of the game.

The only major thing about the game that this preview shows is that someone, most likely Sothis, can't remember anything but their name.

Oh I see thanks

It's really cool that there's not going to be times where there's no info

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I didn't even notice the blue circles. I'm glad they brought those back, but I wish they had left behind the stupid hovering arrow. The glowing white borders were a much better tile indicator than the stupid obstructive glowing golden arrow that screams, "Look at me instead of looking at the game". 

Idk...I find it nostalgic at least. But I do hope the 3ds' games' convenience of skipping turns and stuff also returns! 

Vietnam war flashbacks of path of radiance's turn lengths intensifies

Edited by Dinar87

2 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

Idk...I find it nostalgic at least. But I do hope the 3ds' games' convenience of skipping turns and stuff also returns! 

What was wrong with Path of Radiance's turn lengths?

Yeah; I know I'm nitpicking about the hovering yellow arrow. It just irritates me. It's one of the few things about Path of Radiance that annoys me. 

13 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

While I don't really like some characters' designs, ultimately I'm just glad the game seems to be taking itself more seriously, and actively wants to reference old games again mechanically and aesthetically (e.g. blue circles around units like in path of radiance, weapon durability returning, 3d models returning for the maps, etc...)

z_5cb969d81b9ea.jpg

I kind of wish the weapon triangle was color coded like in Fates when looking over units. If they're going to show weapon types on enemy units like that, I want to be able to tell immediately what they've got without scrolling over them, and color coding would help with that recognition. In Fates, Axes/Bows were green, Lances/daggers were blue, and swords/magic were red. Especially helpful with those coming from a Pokemon background - Green beats blue, blue beats red, red beats green. But in this game they're all bronze. The icons themselves also get bigger the closer they are to the camera, which is going to make our eyes squint harder. Not a deal breaker UI problem, but a problem that could have been solved with this one idea from a previous game.

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

What was wrong with Path of Radiance's turn lengths?

Yeah; I know I'm nitpicking about the hovering yellow arrow. It just irritates me. It's one of the few things about Path of Radiance that annoys me. 

iirc you couldn't skip turns in that game, and it could get a bit annoying at some points where there where loads of enemies.

But anyways, I'm gonna trust IS again one more time, as they're bringing back a lot of things people liked about previous games (weapon durability is back finally, combat arts are back, etc...) and I'm going to trust that they have a better idea of balancing things better for old and new fans.

Also yeah...the color coded weapon triangle would've been nice to have in this game too.

Edited by Dinar87

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Cool, new info. I knew that sword would end up being Byleth's. 

Also, I don't get the hate for Female Byleth's design. But whatever.

Weekly updates on Three Houses? You have my attention.

Because too many people have no sense of humor about this series.

Anyway, I expected the hype machine would roll out right about now with the game being a few months away. It looks like we confirmation of what Byleth's weapon is. Of course, this now brings up what it IS, because that's the sword first seen in this shot from the reveal trailer:

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/three-houses-e3-screens/NintendoSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_scrn02_E3.jpg

First of all, that's a BIG sword, probably around four to five feet long at the least so about the same size as Ragnell. Secondly, it's clearly old, ancient even In the screenshot it's cracked, like it's on the verge of crumbling. In fact, it doesn't even look like metal. It looks more like stone or even bone. Heck, the latter could be completely possible due to its blade having segmentation. One side even has ridges like a saw. Considering how prominent that is, this is going to be the Macguffin weapon, like Falchion.

2 hours ago, Disclaimer said:

It doesn't fit the setting or Byleth's characterization, though. Byleth begins as a mercenary and becomes a professor, and lacy stockings aren't remotely fitting attire for either role. It's a female avatar designed to cater to and titillate the male audience, rather than accommodate female players. 

In the series' past iterations of avatars, generally they've had parity in outfit design. If F!Byleth had M!Byleth's outfit, she'd both look better and be more believable as a teacher — rather than a teenage boy's fantasy of what their teacher should wear. 

I've read up on the Demon Byleth and their personality almost does a full 180 depending on which gender they're depicting. As a male they're cold and stoic while as a female they're more friendly and outgoing. Considering the separate names they might try to differentiate the two genders this time around, akin to Robin but even more so. Might also explain the stark difference in appearance. 

I'm excited for new info~ and some official art. Poor dad though, he doesn't have any art so far. Some new info regarding combat is neat but I'm also looking forward to some more lore. I'm such a sucker for lore in games and books~ 

Edited by ChickenBits

43 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

I've read up on the Demon Byleth and their personality almost does a full 180 depending on which gender they're depicting.  As a male they're cold and stoic while as a female they're more friendly and outgoing.  Considering the separate names they might try to differentiate the two genders this time around, akin to Robin but even more so.  Might also explain the stark difference in appearance. 

I suppose it makes sense now.  But I still think they could've gone with a better covering for Female!Byleth's legs.

I remember the week the first Famitsu article for Echoes came out, there was a leak on what the game will be like. Also we got a new trailer shortly afterwards. I wonder if the same pattern will be followed lol.

2 hours ago, ChickenBits said:

I've read up on the Demon Byleth and their personality almost does a full 180 depending on which gender they're depicting. As a male they're cold and stoic while as a female they're more friendly and outgoing. Considering the separate names they might try to differentiate the two genders this time around, akin to Robin but even more so. Might also explain the stark difference in appearance. 

Friendly and outgoing shouldn't have to include a deliberately fanservicey outfit. You can chat with people just fine without thrusting your belly button into their face. I just hate the double standard. If M!Byleth had more fanservice elements to him I would be complaining less, but no, it's just the female who has to look the furthest thing from a military instructor just to appeal that kind demographic. It also shows a complete lack of awareness as to why female players want to play as their gender. It's certainly not to see their representation marketed to straight male players as yet more waifu material. They can have fanservice characters. I don't like them, but at least let the female player character just be that: a player character.

Edited by Nanima

5 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Friendly and outgoing shouldn't have to include a deliberately fanservicey outfit. You can chat with people just fine without thrusting your belly button into their face. I just hate the double standard. If M!Byleth had more fanservice elements to him I would be complaining less, but no, it's just the female who has to look the furthest thing from a military instructor just to appeal that kind demographic. It also shows a complete lack of awareness as to why female players want to play as their gender. It's certainly not to see their representation marketed to straight male players as yet more waifu material. They can have fanservice characters. I don't like them, but at least let the female player character just be that: a player character.

Yeah I think that's the biggest issue with F!Byleth's design. If you want to use a female avatar, your character by default has a fanservice design. And since we don't know about how much freedom Byleth has with their classes (remember they're not a student), and designs like F!Corrin's Norhian Noble you might just be stuck with a fanservice character as your avatar regardless of if that makes you uncomfortable. And that would be very unfortunate.

3 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

Banned for making me remember that! :P:

Ahem. . .

I'll hold off judgment on the details of the character art until there's a more detailed scan released.  Not liking the pose Sothis has, though.

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Not liking the pose Sothis has, though.

me neither feels like it's trying too hard to be sexy which just does the exact opposite for me

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

me neither feels like it's trying too hard to be sexy which just does the exact opposite for me

It's twofold for me.  The first is the reason you stated, along with the fact that she looks like a young girl.  The second is that it doesn't look very comfortable, especially with that sword.

The art I'm most curious about is Dimitri's.  I wasn't a huge fan of the art I've seen of him so far, but what's in this article looks a lot more polished (in Edelgard's legging's case, a bit TOO polished).

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

(in Edelgard's legging's case, a bit TOO polished)

Agreed.  Her legs in her official art look like they're made of plastic.  I'm almost certain they don't look that shiny in-game.

19 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Some aspects of her design have grown on me but otherwise I agree with you that it's not very successful. I was just trying to give some insight into why they possibly went with this direction instead of having the genders near identical. Also, they were a merc before an instructor and don't change their wardrobe between the two professions. Some outgoing people do dress more openly, crop tops anyone? BUT I do see the problem here and that F!Byleth is supposed to be you. I think as a separate character F!Byleth would be fine.

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Same, I can sort of see what they were trying to do but her clothes and overall posture ruin it for me. Just changing the pose of the legs would have been much better.

2 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

Same, I can sort of see what they were trying to do but her clothes and overall posture ruin it for me. Just changing the pose of the legs would have been much better.

For me it's just the posture, it's just so unnatural looking like who sits like that? Honestly there are so many different ways to pose her and they go with that one. Personally if you're going to have a loli, I'd rather their artwork be cute than sexy.

Guest Bogoy

Back to a positive topic please? I know that's impossible for boards like this I mean idc if your negative to yourself but still seriously....

4 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Because too many people have no sense of humor about this series.

Anyway, I expected the hype machine would roll out right about now with the game being a few months away. It looks like we confirmation of what Byleth's weapon is. Of course, this now brings up what it IS, because that's the sword first seen in this shot from the reveal trailer:

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/three-houses-e3-screens/NintendoSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_scrn02_E3.jpg

First of all, that's a BIG sword, probably around four to five feet long at the least so about the same size as Ragnell. Secondly, it's clearly old, ancient even In the screenshot it's cracked, like it's on the verge of crumbling. In fact, it doesn't even look like metal. It looks more like stone or even bone. Heck, the latter could be completely possible due to its blade having segmentation. One side even has ridges like a saw. Considering how prominent that is, this is going to be the Macguffin weapon, like Falchion.

The sword is almost certainly dragon bone, given that there is a precedent for legendary FE swords being made from dragon fangs; most notably the Falchion. However, unlike the Falchion, this one is probably not made from a fang. Given its segmented nature and those ridges on the back edge, it is more than likely made from part of a spine or part of a tail; I think it's probably the latter. 

I'm eh on Female Byleth's design, mostly because I have zero intention on using it as I typically do not use Female avatars in Fire Emblem. I prefer to stick to my actual gender for such characters in games where relationships matter.