Detective Pikachu Hype Check

Zapp Branniglenn

Detective Pikachu Hype Check?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you for this movie?

• aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
    • Yeah, should be fun, I'll watch it.
    • I HAVE watched it, and I'm from the future to tell you it's GREAT
    • I literally cannot envision what I'll be doing with my life post-avengers because that is all that is going on in life right now.
    • Nah, it's allergy season and I'm allergic to fun.
    • I get the feeling this poll is a little biased toward liking the movie...
  2. 2. Favorite trailer

• First Trailer
    • Second Trailer
    • Becoming Pikachu
    • Casting Detective Pikachu
    • What a Pikachu World
    • None, I'm tired of every movie being advertised with 80s pop songs.
    • Pikachu uses...foot massage?
  3. 3. Did you play the detective pikachu game?

• There's a game?
    • No, I need money for the Switch and I dunno where I left my 3DS anyway
    • yeah, actually.
  4. 4. Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu?

• Haha! I love how it just sounds like Reynolds rather than the cute little guy we're used to.
    • Ryan, who? I only see a pikachu with a detective hat.
    • Should have been DeVito

This movie comes out in less than three weeks and I want a quick temperature check. How HYPE are you for this movie?

Trailer links:

Edited by Glennstavos

I'm completely ignoring everything after the first trailer.  I want to be as surprised as possible!

So help me, I'm taking myself out on a date if I can't find anyone else that wants to watch this.

Guess I'm on the same boat as @eclipse.

I haven't seen any of the trailers or information about the movie just because I want to be max-level surprised.

But I'm somewhat hyped because I actually got someone to go with! (Yes, this is really rare.)

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

I'm completely ignoring everything after the first trailer.  I want to be as surprised as possible!

So help me, I'm taking myself out on a date if I can't find anyone else that wants to watch this.

Hey eclipse, shouldn't this thread be in Entertainment since it's about a movie, not a game, despite it being Pokemon?

Anyway, I don't intend to see this movie. Imo, Pokemon and live action can never mix well and this shows me that. I don't like the way any of the Pokemon look, save for Pikachu itself. He looks okay.

Edited by Anacybele

I feel it’s worth a look. I’m cautiously optimistic about it. I feel about 90% of the Pokémon I’ve seen look pretty solid though (might as well spoiler tag this seeing as some people have avoided trailers and I don’t want people to bark at me)... 

Spoiler

Aipom looks pretty yikes, and I’m not feeling Mewtwo or Greninja either.

I suppose my greatest beacon of hope is that it isn’t portrayed as cynical. Reynolds actually appears to be giving a damn and having a lot of fun promoting this film. If I got a feeling this was just a cashgrab I’d probably be much less likely to bother with the movie. 

I'm looking forward to it ever since Pikachu said the word hell. Never did I expect Pikachu to say that. My only complaint is that it seems very different from the game. Particularly the cast. Aside from Pikachu, Tim, and Harry everyone else is different. I'm also gonna miss Owain, Sakura, Erika, Ike and Lyn to name a few as well. BTW a sequel is already in development.

While I don't think the movie will be that great seeing how many of the people involved don't have the best track record (the director, Rob Letterman, directed Shark Tale and Gulliver's Travels which are both really bad and the screenwriter wrote The the Pacific Rim sequel and the Jurassic World movies which both have shitty scripts) I'm still looking forward because what we have seen so far looks at least enjoyable. 

I'm not expecting Guardians of the Galaxy or Mad Max Fury Road in terms of quality (which you should both definitely watch if you haven't seen them), I'm more expecting a movie that while not having much value in terms of writing, editing or cinematography, will still be enjoyable to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Early reviews are in. Apparently the movie is... (putting it in spoilers for those who don't want to be influenced by seeing this- other commenters please try to do the same).

Spoiler

Mixed. If you're a gamer who knows Pokemon, the movie isn't a 5/5, but it's in the 4 range possibly. For everyone else, it's more a 3 or 50/100.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer