Famitsu poll declares Chrono Trigger as best game of Japan's Heisei Period

Acacia Sgt

So, for those unaware, Japan's current Emperor is abdicating at the end of the month. Since this marks the end of an era in Japan (they're basically divided by the reigning times of their Emperors), Famitsu conducted a poll asking which was the best game made during this era to end (the Heisei Period, 1989-2019).

The winner was Chrono Trigger, with Breath of the Wild in second, and Nier:Automata in third.

Here's an article talking about it.

Famitsu article itself, here.

Personally, it's a bit of a surprising contrast between CT and the other top three spots, as they're more modern games. Yet a SNES game was the winner. Perhaps it reflects more on the voters themselves. Also, as a period of thirty years, competition was likely tight. There were like around 7000 votes, yet the top three only got barely about 200 votes each, if I'm interpreting those numbers right in the Famitsu article. I don't think they've shown a compelte list, or at least a bigger Top X list, to see what numbers went for fourth place onwards. It certainly makes me curious either way.

So. What are your thoughts. You think CT deserves this spot? Some other game should've won? If I could've placed a vote, I'd have gone straight for a SRW game, hehehe. Though it would've been hard to decide which one...

i played terranigma and chrono trigger around the same time and vastly preferred the former

though that may be half because I only really like certain turn based systems and ATB isn't one of them either

I guess this shows how powerful Akira Toriyama still is even in the gaming industry. The Composer also did a good job and the script wasn't bad.
Also forgot that Chrono Trigger was the mix between Akira Toriyama and Hironobu Sakaguchi (Creator of Final Fantasy). So it was like a dream mix? xD

I mean Dragon Quest is so popular there and one big part of it is him being the character designer. Well in case of Dragon quest there may be more to it, being one of the first rpg,s which are easy accessible and not too hard to get into. (For those times).

Overall I can only object to this, but I can at least try to understand the choice a bit. As a RPG lover I have so many other RPG,s I would prefer over Chrono Trigger. I guess another reason for me to feel like it is because Chrono Trigger was not released in Europe on the SNES (but we had Terranigma instead, which also was a really good game and one of my favorites on the SNES). So I cannot say that I have childhood Attachement to this game. Well one of my favorite childhood RPG,s is Breath of Fire 3 which is accused of ripping a track from Chrono trigger (Secret of the Forest - > Falling Greens), which also could be just a homage. 

At least I can say one of the other 2 choices may have deserved the spot more to my feeling. But this is famitsu and its readers and I think they always have been biased in some ways, whenever I saw ratings from famitsu RPGs had the upper hand in their ratings. So the choice does not wonder me totally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsū_scores

here are scores from famitsu itself for reference. I repeat again, that it maybe hints at the readership. Also the readers all time 100 favorites from 2006 are there, which has Chrono Trigger in it.

48 minutes ago, Stroud said:

I guess this shows how powerful Akira Toriyama still is even in the gaming industry. The Composer also did a good job and the script wasn't bad.
Also forgot that Chrono Trigger was the mix between Akira Toriyama and Hironobu Sakaguchi (Creator of Final Fantasy). So it was like a dream mix? xD

Well, when working on Chrono Trigger, they were actually referred to as such. lol

Alongside Nobou Uematsu, Yuji Horii, and Kazuhiko Aoki. Those five were the Dream Team.

I remember that at the end of 2017  Chrono Trigger was 8th, Breath and Nier were 5th and 4th. 

I feel like Famitsu polls make people constrained in the RPG and "influence" things. It's cute that some of these lists still have Wizardry on them, and all, but they never seem to be indicating how people have fun with games. Kind of feel like "most boring taste" kind of things in a way.

Chrono Trigger is fun lightweight RPG. I do feel like 9 polls out of 10, Famitsu would have put Dragon Warrior 3 over it, but it's okay to see it do so high. Kind of weird how CT seems to do better when the poll is unspecifc as to genre while DQ3 seems to do better in the more common "restricted" polls.

I personally hope Nier's popularity  cools off over time since I feel like while  it's got a great setting, and the many alternate endings and branches are fun, but gameplay wise it's kind of boring and repetitive despite good setpieces in boss battles, and it's harder to forgive an  Action RPG for being lightweight than a turn based RPG. 

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

I would've loved to see the full poll, but alas.

At least there is a top 20 list you can see here.

Which proofs the point that there is a bias in the Famitsu readership.

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, when working on Chrono Trigger, they were actually referred to as such. lol

Alongside Nobou Uematsu, Yuji Horii, and Kazuhiko Aoki. Those five were the Dream Team.

True, xD This is also mentioned a bit in the japanese article shown at the beginning of this Thread from what I could read. At least the 2 names I mentioned have been there.

Edited by Stroud

Oh, a bigger list finally, that's interesting.

Though I'm surprised to see only one DQ game made it in. On the other hand, I'm not that surprised it's V. Heard it's among the most popular ones there. That it's having a movie adaptation this year probably helped it when the poll was held. Maybe.

So true. I liked Dragon Quest V. It was my favorite one for the SNES.

I am also surprised at Tactics Ogre, I often feel like most people would vote for Final Fantasy Tactics before Tactics Ogre. Even if FFT is the spiritual successor of Tactics Ogre. And Splatoon 2 feels so out of place here. xD This Action and RPG heavy voting with Splatoon. But Ok Metal Gear Solid 3 also made it far.

I'm okay with Chrono Trigger being number one. Final Fantasy games, for instance, have to compete with all of the other Final Fantasy games at once for votes. But Chrono Trigger is just competing with Chrono Cross. Nier Automata has a similar advantage. Franchise games have a serious disadvantage in a single-stage poll like this one. And I'm just glad it's something cool and not something flash-in-the-pan like Undertale. Then again I have to wonder if Western games were excluded outright since none appear in the top 20 except for Vainglory which has me scratching my head on multiple levels.

I doubt they were; but since the voters were likely to be only Japanese, then it was going to be tougher for non-Japanese games to secure high spots.

2 hours ago, Stroud said:

At least there is a top 20 list you can see here.

Ooooh, thanks!  Surprising to see FFXV in there, but it makes me really happy.  I think people will come around to it in a few years!

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

But Chrono Trigger is just competing with Chrono Cross. Nier Automata has a similar advantage.

Oh man. . .

NieR is a successor to Drakengard, with Gestalt being based off of a joke ending.  Technically, Automata had to compete with three Drakengard games and Gestalt.  Though I would've given serious consideration to Gestalt for its amazing soundtrack.

Took me a while for it to hit me. It's kind of crazy, amazing kind of crazy I mean, to know that somewhere, it's the end of an Era.

Seeing Chrono Trigger on the top is very... pleasureable. On so many levels.
I feared it would drop in favor of others, but the power of the Dream Team was just that godly.

I think, it's just me don't break me over it pls, that Breath of the Wild being on second place is because of the hype surounding it. Not all of it obviously but... seeing it above Nier Automata hurt a tad. Just a bit.

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

NieR is a successor to Drakengard, with Gestalt being based off of a joke ending.  Technically, Automata had to compete with three Drakengard games and Gestalt.  Though I would've given serious consideration to Gestalt for its amazing soundtrack.

I actually  let out a laugh at the 'Oh man...' :p
Just the amazing soundtrack ? But I do agree.

Wanna hear a funny joke ? The Drakengard franchise and timelime are easy to understand.
And so Giorno lied.

20 hours ago, B.Leu said:

I actually  let out a laugh at the 'Oh man...' :p

Just the amazing soundtrack ? But I do agree.

Wanna hear a funny joke ? The Drakengard franchise and timelime are easy to understand.
And so Giorno lied.

It's probable that Gestalt is solid beyond what I played of it.  Something about the animation triggered my motion sickness.  It was the soundtrack that pushed me as far into the game as I went.