Persona 5 The Royal

Shiki

Spoiler

First official look from the Persona event.

Like P4G this version has a lot of new additions, including new places to visit, confidants and gameplay mechanics. Now we know why Joker has that Grappling Hook in Smash and the palaces seems to be redesigned to accommodate it (as you can see him zipping around Kamoshida's palace).
It also features a new party member, Kasumi Yoshizawa, who is the girl appearing in the teaser. So her being the FeMC is pretty much deconfirmed.

All of this new exciting content is ... PS4-exclusive. *thinking*
JP release will be October 2019, World-wise release in 2020.

Edited by Magus of Memery

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros:

• More casual encounters with the PT. The base been lacking about that,
  • New locations, in dungeons and real world.
  • New semester means 30+ hours of game.
  • Kasumi not being the feMC is a good thing for me.  

Neutral

• Yoshizawa Kasumi. Not too sure what I feel about her.
  • May or may not change to pacing issues of the original.
  • Wakaba still being alive will bring retcons or major changes to characters.

Cons:

• P5R being a ps4 exclusive, with no mention of it being dlc to the base game feels grubby.
  • Morgana having a human form feels like an attempt for Teddie 2.0.

Feel conflicted what was shown so far. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Decisions decisions. Will I start that new game + game that is waiting for me or wait for Royal to get out

I mean we’ve got a year long wait ahead of us so I say go for it. It’s a good way to kill time. Welp time to go start my 4th P5 play through 

Morgana having a human form feels like an attempt for Teddie 2.0.

bpFpNkSAre we sure this is supposed to be Morgana? I can see the resemblance with the eyes and the bit of yellow around his neck but he seems quite tall for Morgana. The high pitched voice, being described as ''boyish voice'' in the opening and his very small size always seemed to imply Morgana would look quite a lot younger than the others. Morgana's very open crush on Ann could also get a lot more awkward if he's her age instead of a little bro figure. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:
  • Are we sure this is supposed to be Morgana? I can see the resemblance with the eyes and the bit of yellow around his neck but he seems quite tall for Morgana. The high pitched voice, being described as ''boyish voice'' in the opening and his very small size always seemed to imply Morgana would look quite a lot younger than the others. Morgana's very open crush on Ann could also get a lot more awkward if he's her age instead of a little bro figure. 

His speech mannerisms make it feel like it's Morgana. I'll be surprised if he isn't. 

Man, it must be really nice being a fan of the Persona games nowadays. *looks back at SMT V teaser* 

Anyways, I guess we now know where the grappling hook came from. I'm also interested in the new palaces and new character, so that'll be a thing to look out for.

57 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

His speech mannerisms make it feel like it's Morgana. I'll be surprised if he isn't. 

Oh God, I hope that's not Morgana's human form. If it is, it looks so weird for his character.

Edited by Roland

You know what they call a Persona 5 with cheese in Paris? Oh wait, I already told that joke.

tbh I'd rather Yusuke have been our roommate than this weird kid version of Morgana. Especially since he looks too similar to that fanboy Moon social link. I'm not into it.

Sucks that this game sounds like it won't be available as DLC, but not unexpected given the series history and I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of that anyway since I own the PS3 version. Don't look at me like that, it's a PS3 game that came out a generation late! Sitting here watching the trailer, this should be the most hype moment for this game before launch day, thus a pretty solid point in time to affirm I won't be getting this game. Then again I may crack if some time after release as I get an urge to 100% Persona 5 - may as well do that on the complete version than on my aging PS3. Persona 5 is a great game, but if "lacking in content" is not a critique I think anybody would have had with the base game, so I'm interested in other changes to the gameplay.

Edited by Glennstavos

Can't wait to see people on the internet complain and say Persona 5 isn't cool anymore because Atlus is milking the game and its characters now just like Persona 3 and Persona 4 before it.

Still, I don't know how I feel about this. It pretty much has everything I expected a Persona 5 remake to have. Hopefully the missing Persona/Demons from previous games are added back in but for the story though I see retcons incoming especially considering what happens after the final boss was defeated. Also don't like Kasumi based on first impressions. She seems way too much like Marie 2.0 (as in new girl added in just for the remake), especially with designed love interest trait attached to her. Her thieve outfit also seems too sexualized for my tastes. I am actually more interested in that new school consultant than her. Don't know what I think of potential human Morgana either since that was the joke of the original game. And the final thing is this game being PS4 exclusive (from my understanding anyways) so I couldn't play it even if I wanted to since I don't have a PS4 nor do I intend to get one.

Didn't want to sound so negative since I liked the original but this remake just isn't for me. My original PS3 copy is good enough. But man I skipped the dancing game, plan to skip Persona q2 and now this game. Hopefully their next Persona 5 spinoff interests me more.

1 hour ago, NSSKG151 said:

Can't wait to see people on the internet complain and say Persona 5 isn't cool anymore because Atlus is milking the game and its characters now just like Persona 3 and Persona 4 before it.

Not saying Persona isn't cool, but I kinda don't blame some of them. 

The big brain would be Persona 5 isn't cool anymore because Atlus is milking the game and not making SMT 5.

Also don't like Kasumi based on first impressions. She seems way too much like Marie 2.0 (as in new girl added in just for the remake), especially with designed love interest trait attached to her. Her thieve outfit also seems too sexualized for my tastes.

I need to know more about Kasumi to make a first impression. I'm pretty she's a love interest trait with no prior relationships for the audience. I disagree about her being sexualized because so far we know that Kasumi is a gymnast, leotards are common in the sport. I guess that is what she think a thief is in her heart. 

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I need to know more about Kasumi to make a first impression. I'm pretty she's a love interest trait with no prior relationships for the audience. I disagree about her being sexualized because so far we know that Kasumi is a gymnast, leotards are common in the sport. I guess that is what she think a thief is in her heart. 

I don't know, her phantom thief outfit just bothers me. Kasumi shows more skin in her phantom thief outfit than resident poster fanservice girl Ann. Maybe sexualized was the wrong word for me to use and instead should have just said obvious fanservice design that typically shows up in Japan's media. It still looks out of place to me compared to the phantom thief outfits for the other girls that mostly have them covered up. Again, that is just from my initial impression.

Edited by NSSKG151

11 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Seems Akechi will return to the party as Black Mask:

https://twitter.com/mmmementos/status/1121103457673412608?s=20

Eh its somewhat predictable but to be frank Akechi deserves to 

Spoiler

Die since he's such a gigantic scumbag. 

''Lol daddy was mean to me so lets kill countless people instead of just my scumbag dad''  

15 hours ago, Roland said:

Oh God, I hope that's not Morgana's human form. If it is, it looks so weird for his character.

What if that guy turned out to be Morgana's brother than Morgana himself? I think Cassandra Morris Lee herself was wondering who was that guy was in the trailer and she wasn't too sure if she would might voice him as a handsome teenager if this guy turns out to be Morgana.

Also, I hope Persona 5 Royal comes to the Nintendo Switch since I don't have a PS4.

Called it. Everyone and their moms called it. So, why am I producing salt ? :p
The worst thing is, I'm legit angry with their crap, but also excited about it. Freaking cash cow franchise. I hope, at the minimum, that  it will be a DLC later, otherwise it is a complete and utter dick move.

Some of those new things sounds cool. I do adore the idea of a therapist character, we'll see if they screw it up or not, but I'm hopeful I'll be satisfied no matter what. A common mistake for beginners. But on the other hand, I'm annoyed, that should have been in the original game. I know it's Japan, they don't want to touch that even with a broom, but sheesh, the first part of the game was literally about... that. So if they didn't want to assume, they shouldn't have wrote about it in the first place. My reaction was, and is still is, what is wrong with them ?

Shiho's treatment was unacceptable in the original, such potential, they could had bring back her back instead of creating characters, lot of fans would've probably sold their liver for it, but we all know what the problem with that.

17 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Kasumi not being the feMC is a good thing for me.

Honestly, I think having a female MC with Kamoshida in the game is a recipe for disaster. In every sense of the word.

Yoshizawa Kasumi. Not too sure what I feel about her.

Same, she could be a Marie 2.0 that is, the bad parts, she could be another "How can you not like the Phantom Thieves' kind of characters. Her motives confuses me. Apparently, she doesn't agree with the PT because she believes the victim(s) should make the change, and the PT helping them deprives them of the lessons.  What kind of logic is that ?

Eh, I like her Phantom Thief design, despite the fact that it is completly different from the others... like Marie's own design.
Let's call Thane.

Wakaba still being alive

My reaction: The word 'what', a lot. :p
The plot will take a harsh blow from that.

• P5R being a ps4 exclusive, with no mention of it being dlc to the base game feels grubby.
  • Morgana having a human form feels like an attempt for Teddie 2.0.

Can't agree more with the first point. I do have a PS4, but I feel just so bad for those who don't. :/
As for Morgana, personally, it's more a problem I had with P4 too, if you want to create a fiction with fantastical elements in it, just don't shape it or throw it away just for the sake of 'the theme of the fiction' or fanservice or whatever.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Eh its somewhat predictable but to be frank Akechi deserves to 

Hide contents

Die since he's such a gigantic scumbag. 

''Lol daddy was mean to me so lets kill countless people instead of just my scumbag dad''  

Shhhh, we're meant to sympathize with him. Despite him being a complete and total asshole. Or in Haru's words 'Understand him'. :p

Remember that one time after the 'plot twist' before the 'real' 'plot twist' that was completly great and all were he and his asshole dad acted like cartoon villains together ?

... To be fair, trying to, he didn't had any convenient deus ex machina, including a magic cat explaining to him that he could brainwash people.
The only thing he ever had are, the wild card, okay cool screw that, and the capacity to drive people insane. What the...

I don't have the most positive opinions of Persona 5 plot. Kek. ;p

If this is who I think it is, nice job destroying the reason for Futaba's entire arc Atlus, you guys seem to be good at just messing up in re-releases of late, first Strange Journey Redux, then Catherine Fullbody, now this.

I'm a bit cautious of this, I liked P5 a lot, but I've disliked just about every Atlus touch up or re-release in the past few years because of their utterly bizarre directions.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'm a bit cautious of this, I liked P5 a lot, but I've disliked just about every Atlus touch up or re-release in the past few years because of their utterly bizarre directions.

The Catherine enhanced port had tonal change issues? Interesting.

I never bought DS2: Record Breaker, so I can't say if that got messed with, but I do think as early Devil Survivor: Overclocked it is arguable Atlus has been doing this, if it is a thing. The 8th Days of DSO were somewhat jarring compared to the 7ths that preceded them. Amane's was fine, probably the best in tone, yet Yuzu's and Naoya/Kaido's ran into issues concerning how Scratchy was portrayed, and Yuzu's had additional faults.

DSO's fault for me might have been making things a little too: simple, "anime", and happy? I'm not sure how to define it exactly. This could well not be a consistent theme, but given that from what I hear might be SJR's new girl and endings fault, and that IV: Apocalypse's (a brand new game released since this possible beginning of change) characters were these things for me, it might be Atlus is just undergoing a fundamental tonal change overall. I hope it doesn't affect SMTV.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, B.Leu said:

My reaction: The word 'what', a lot. :p
The plot will take a harsh blow from that.

I'm assuming they'l go about that Shido has Wakaba braindead in a basement somewhere in case he'd ever need her.

23 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Also there will be a Musou Persona game. This Persona 5 will be on the Switch. Damn it Atlus.

Now that's something I never saw coming.