We have new info on FE16!

Hanes

Here it is: https://nintendoeverything.com/new-fire-emblem-three-houses-character-and-gameplay-details/

Alright so I like most of what we have heard so far! The reclass system sounds like a lot of fun and maybe it will be like 11's although a bit harder and maybe even something like Final Fantasy V's amazing reclass system!

Oh and yes we have those darned warp tiles.  Let's Make Fire Emblem 776 Houses a thing!

(Another cool thing about the reclass system is that there's probably going to be many, many genious LTCs that will just blow my mind, but that's just me)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how we almost have more lore about this world than FE14's world lol V_V 

And I love that they told us a little about each character, I really can't wait for this game to come out ^_^ 

6 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I don't like reclassing in FE so I'm hoping I can play the game without using the feature.

Seems like you will anyways, like there probably will be some OP reclassing thing but you dont need reclassing to beat 11, 13 or 14 (Although the latter two do become a bit harder because of it.

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm curious as to whether promotions will still be a thing with this system, or if everyone will just have one (expanded) maximum level (like Marth in Shadow Dragon or Azura in Fates). 

11, 13 and 14 had promotions and reclassing, the two aren't mutually exclusive like getting heads when you flip a coin instead of tails. So I wager it will be fine.

3 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

And I love that they told us a little about each character, I really can't wait for this game to come out ^_^ 

Yeah, one of the biggest bads of 14 is it didn't really worldbuild but what FE16 is doing right now, that's good!

Yep, I'm excited to use Edelgard. It comes out July 26 which sucks because it missed my birthday by 3 days.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

With customizable characters, and classes, I can be weird and off-beat!

Mage armors! Flying healers! Anything I want, I can do!

Honestly, it seems more like a changed class-change system than having anything to do with reclassing, I get the feeling that it is more like an SS style game, where you class change on a linear scale, but are given more options, or perhaps like SoV, but everyone is a villager, I do hope there is no reclassing if this is the case, I would like to be punished when I experiment in stupid ways, if I ruin a unit by giving them a weapon that makes no sense I shouldn't be allowed to fix it. I also see hints of genealogy with a wider variety of class/weapon combos and class changing without losing levels. 

Edit: Misread, if the ability to just change without thought is present, that ruins the whole thing if you ask me,it makes taking on classes feel less meaningful and just takes the FF3 approach of not allowing for distinct roles to be established for specific units.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

My thoughts:

- Archanea wasn't exactly the paragon of naming lands, with the likes of "Gra" and "Grust".  Perhaps "Garrag Mach" means something profound in another language, but I think it's a little silly.
- The houses sound like they have some presets, and I'm a little relieved that there's no Sword House.
- Definitely going Golden Deer first.  They sound like they have the most potential for interesting character interactions.
- Of the three, I'm feeling Claude > Dimitri > Edelgard.  Claude probably won't need too much to steal the show, character-wise (give him a couple of realistic flaws that work with the party dynamic).  Dimitri's character will heavily depend on how his past is written.  Edelgard is going to need a lot of exposition in order to shine, because talented and cold isn't exactly much to work with (she reminds me of Jusis, and it took two dedicated chapters in the CS series before I decided that he wasn't the worst out of Class VII).
- It sounds like this game is heavily influenced by Echoes (base class and time rewind stick out to me).  This makes me very happy!
- The reclass system looks very promising.
- Don't know how the black/white magic system will work, but I'm sure it'll turn out fine.  Also, no fists?

That's a lot of good info.  Would love to see more on those tiles!

I'm glad female Byleth isn't actually called that! Bylese sounds much better for a female imo. I'm fine with using that in my game file too.

Everything else here sounds neat too! Also, Byleth/Bylese's backstory is sounding more and more like Ike. lol But I'm cool with that, I love Ike inspiration cause I love Ike! WE LIKE IKE.

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My thoughts:

- Archanea wasn't exactly the paragon of naming lands, with the likes of "Gra" and "Grust".  Perhaps "Garrag Mach" means something profound in another language, but I think it's a little silly.

Garreg Mach sounds vaguely Scottish to me. Or maybe Welsh. 

Very pleased to hear of the return of the "Mila's Turnwheel". Class change exams still seem odd. Especially with the implication that your chance of passing will always be random even when you make the appropriate pre-requisites. I could meet none of the pre-requisites and successfully class change? Do I have a limited amount of chances to change? Will there be scummy DLC grind chapters that help ensure this process works? I don't like the sound of this so far. Imagine getting your speedrun or LTC ruined because the RNG prevented you from promoting or class changing as early as you'd like. Just doesn't sound appropriate for a tactics game.

Also the Golden Deer has the most commoners instead of nobles? This surprises me. I figured the opposite would be the case when nobles from that nation can hold significant positions of power. Empires would be a more appropriate place to hear of nobles being so bored with their quiet life that they just join the army. Oh well, still joining the archer team on principle. 

9 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Maybe. The ultimate litmus test for my tastes is whether we can positively identify an event that occurred before Byleth was born. Couldn't do that with Corrin. That universe must have came into being the moment he was born.

I'd say, I find it a bit amusing that black and dark magic are categorized as physics. Okay, it's not actually a new thing, it's mostly the physics label that gets me.

21 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Best I could find, seems to be Welsh for "Small Stone". As a side note, can't speak for Gra; but I'd give Archanea a pass since they mostly take names from real world places. Grust itself likely comes from this French commune, for example.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Maybe. The ultimate litmus test for my tastes is whether we can positively identify an event that occurred before Byleth was born. Couldn't do that with Corrin. That universe must have came into being the moment he was born.

corrin's mom doin' it with a dragon, I win.

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Garreg Mach sounds vaguely Scottish to me. Or maybe Welsh. 

Wouldn't surprise me, given the aesthetic.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Xander was born.  Checkmate! :P:

If you're talking about actual historical events in the world, there's that light/dark flip thingy that seems to be a recurring thing.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, I find it a bit amusing that black and dark magic are categorized as physics. Okay, it's not actually a new thing, it's mostly the physics label that gets me.

Best I could find, seems to be Welsh for "Small Stone". As a side note, can't speak for Gra; but I'd give Archanea a pass since they mostly take names from real world places. Grust itself likely comes from this French commune, for example.

Going off of "Faith", my guess is that black magic relies on more tangible things than a prayer to a deity or something.  It feels like the divide between science and faith.

Most of what comes to mind for Archanea is Greek/Roman in nature, so having a random French place is weird (if that was the inspiration, though I find it just as likely that the name was thrown out and it just happened to align with the real-world place).

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Going off of "Faith", my guess is that black magic relies on more tangible things than a prayer to a deity or something.  It feels like the divide between science and faith.

Most of what comes to mind for Archanea is Greek/Roman in nature, so having a random French place is weird (if that was the inspiration, though I find it just as likely that the name was thrown out and it just happened to align with the real-world place).

Yeah, hence why I mention it's nothing new. It's just that, it's the first time it's called as such, if I recall correctly.

Perhaps the most known, but it's more varied than that. Do remember Aurelis's name in Japan is Orleans, another French place. There's also Pyrathi, which is Perati in Japan, which is a village in Slovenia.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd imagine it's much like the Souls series, where Sorcery and Faith spells are both powered by the same energies, but have different methods of expressing their power. Sorcery is based on understanding the principles of the energies of souls and how they interact with the world and forcing what you want to happen, whereas Faith is focusing on a story or legend of a greater figure, and then expressing that power without any real understanding of what's going on. Basically 'I understand how this works scientifically and thus can recreate the act through knowledge and will' vs 'I have no idea how this works but it was really cool when the Sun God did it, so I'm going to think really hard about that and do it too'.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Perhaps the most know, but it's more varied than that. Do remember Aurelis's name in Japan is Orleans, another French place. There's also Pyrathi, which is Perati in Japan, which is a village in Slovenia.

And Grust is the localized version of Grunia, if you want to go that route.  All of Aurelis/Orleans/Aurelia (last one is an alternate reading) have some sort of meaning, though depending on which one is used, the type of place changes.

Then again, this game has Claude in Leicester, but I'm hoping it's a little more thematic than the early FE titles.  Hoshido may have been an outlier when it comes to real-world influence, but IMO it was a welcome breath of fresh air.

What does the article mean by displaying specifically Myrmidon; Soldier; Warrior and Monk? It could just be showing some of the possible promotions from this flexible class system but then why would Warrior of all things be shown? In the scan it appears as through the image coinciding with that is Leonie as an Archer so perhaps it's just to be used as an example that yes your unit could become an archer, and Warrior was a bit of a translation error?

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

And Grust is the localized version of Grunia, if you want to go that route.  All of Aurelis/Orleans/Aurelia (last one is an alternate reading) have some sort of meaning, though depending on which one is used, the type of place changes.

Then again, this game has Claude in Leicester, but I'm hoping it's a little more thematic than the early FE titles.  Hoshido may have been an outlier when it comes to real-world influence, but IMO it was a welcome breath of fresh air.

I'll admit that Grust would be localization-only; but for Orleans I doubt they weren't going for the French city. It's more telling if you look at Concept!Archanea, since it included places like Deil (A Dutch village), Thorikos (an Ancient Greek city), and Lefkandi (another Greek place). In any case, Garreg Mach doesn't seem to be taken from anything, so I guess it's gonna be it's own thing.

Hmm, by thematic what exactly do you mean? Sticking to a single area when it comes to real world inspirations?

7 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

What does the article mean by displaying specifically Myrmidon; Soldier; Warrior and Monk? It could just be showing some of the possible promotions from this flexible class system but then why would Warrior of all things be shown? In the scan it appears as through the image coinciding with that is Leonie as an Archer so perhaps it's just to be used as an example that yes your unit could become an archer, and Warrior was a bit of a translation error?

Warriors were able to wield bows in the past (though admittedly they were promoted units, which the article doesn't seem to be showing).

I also saw something about class not restricting your weapon choices, but how fast you progress your skill with them.

There's definitely a lot of features here i'm excited to experience. I'm glad that the Mandom mechanic is returning, though i'm guessing it's gonna be more balanced now.. I'm more interested in how classes work. It looks as if everyone is a trainee or villager ala SoV. It also looks as if Light Magic is returning. Magic that was absent since FE10 so that''s interesting. At any rate, it seems that this game is shaping up to be Customization Emblem, which is great.

We also have some new info on the characters. Claude seems the most interesting out of the three house leaders but i think i'm gonna go with Edelgard first, mainly because of the waifu factor. That sounds like a dumb reason but it really do be like that sometimes (though Adrestia having the longest history of the content is an intriguing thought).

I do find it interesting that once again, Lunatic mode isn't returning. I thought it was just a one-time thing for SoV but it really seems like Lunatic is gonna be gone. It doesn't affect me personally because i think Hard is that perfect sweetspot of difficulty for most FE games but for those that enjoyed Lunatic, this is gonna be a bit of a bummer. 

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll admit that Grust would be localization-only; but for Orleans I doubt they weren't going for the French city. It's more telling if you look at Concept!Archanea, since it included places like Deil (A Dutch village), Thorikos (an Ancient Greek city), and Lefkandi (another Greek place). In any case, Garreg Mach doesn't seem to be taken from anything, so I guess it's gonna be it's own thing.

Hmm, by thematic what exactly do you mean? Sticking to a single area when it comes to real world inspirations?

The predominant naming themes in Archanea are Greek/Roman inspired (Macedon, several character names) and Hebrew (again, character names).  Since Hardin's country is somewhat plot-relevant, a random French name would detract from that (but then they get absorbed so eh).  The smaller places wouldn't be as much of an issue.

In terms of unity, Macedon (Greek) is home to Minerva (also Greek), Michalis (wild guess is that it's the French version of Michael, from the katakana), and Maria (Spanish-influenced Mary), with nobles Matthis (Hebrew) and Lena (multiple).  Just from these five alone, there's at least three different ethnic styles of names.  If we ignore the regional variations of names, the country named after the Greek place is home to more Hebrew-inspired names.

Hoshido's aesthetic was very much Japanese, and most of the names matched that.  Caeldori/Rhajat were exceptions, but given the theme that they were under (which I STILL disagree with), it's an acceptable pass.

I'm not sure what Three Houses is going to do, but so far, the biggest outlier in terms of name/place is Claude.  I'm more inclined to have names/places have some sort of coherent theme (especially if they're from real-world places), instead of "let's pick a bunch of names and throw them into a jail cell for two years".