We have new info on FE16!

Hanes

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Wouldn't be the first time that the weapon triangle vanished, either.  But "implementing" it via skills sounds intriguing.

If it's eating up one of your limited skill slots, this might be an issue; along with regional specialization. But the article also implied that not everyone can be built the same when it comes to equipment proficiency.

Hopefullym they won't go overboard with the magic, archery, and spears.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

On the subject of Byleth being a silent protagonist, that seems weird considering that he doesn't have the traits of one outside of being able to choose a female version. He doesn't have the customization features of Kris, Robin and Corrin but being able to customize the character isn't necessarily an avatar trait. The biggest question mark is that there seemingly isn't an option to rename Byleth. Usually characters with set names aren't silent protagonists though that isn't always the case (see: Link in Breath of the Wild). But for a story driven SRPG, it seems odd that Byleth would be a silent protagonist. 

But if he is an avatar, then i'd actually prefer him to be silent. The issue with Kris, Robin and Corrin is that they all have established personalities and i'd much prefer if an avatar was silent. They don't seem to be taking a page out of Monolith Soft's book completely (i still think Cross is the perfect way to handle an avatar character) but it looks like Byleth might end up being the best avatar character in the series, if i'm right. 

The article says that their names are default so they can be changed. And yeah there are many silent MCs with set names (Gordon Freeman, Serph from Digital Devil Saga, current Link, SMT IV Apocalypse where you can change your name but your childhood friend sticks with Nanashi, Maya Amano in Persona 2, etc). 

I love silent protagonists so I'm hyped as hell, just sad Female Byleth isnt romanceable. Wish they followed the Pokemon formula with it.

Everything looks good for me, I'm going Claude>Dimitri>Edelgard simply because I want to get the least liked Lords out for Waifu House Edelgard Emblem for my perfect run. Hope we get skill buying back to pass my previous characters builds to the current units.

My humble thoughts :

- It is nice to see , that the world gets more lore than FE 14. Hopefully  there are more different maps with more different Terrain effects on it (Rain/Snow and Drought anyone ?).

- So... each of the houses has a prefered weapon/Magic. Sounds interesting. Though... Edelgard uses Swords and Axes in her base class...in a house that favours Magic. Wierd.

- "Class Change" : Interesting but I hope it does not end up with everyone being able to reclass into anything. Give the People some.... "identity" in battle.

- Sothis saving the Avatar in a fateful night : Well....Sounds like a normal Story so far. -> But... Sothis lost her Memory ? This could lead to a very obvious "plot Point/plot Twist" = Sothis is the goddess we saw in the very first Trailer. -> Hope I am wrong.

- The "Time rewind" Mechanic : Just....just...no. If it works like in SoV (or very similar) then thats not a good way to make things a bit easier for newer Players. -> If I am in a serious battle , then I will always have this "rewind" Feature in mind which could lead me into "sloppy playing". (= If I make a mistake or get an unlucky crit from an enemy then I can just undo it.). -> I would like to Keep that pressure up. If I make a mistake, it will be my fault. In my opinion this "rewind" mechanic could make me get lazy with proper strategizing/placing my Units in less risky spots. -> Not a fan at all with that.

- So... the house Golden Deer has more "commoners" than the other houses. Does that mean, that the other houses are mostly consisting of nobles (like....95%) ? -> I wish they would spred that out a bit more. Oh well.....we will see how it is once the game Comes out.

Looks promising so far. Looking Forward to more new Information.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And to support your argument, Cross from Xenoblade Chronicles X. They are silent went it comes to actual conversations beyond player chosen answers, yet when it comes to battle, you've the choice of 7 personalities (each a different VA) in English and 10 in Japan per gender when it comes to shouting stuff and making post-battle commentary.

Being vocal in battle =/ being vocal in story and normal conversation. It's the latter which defines whether a protag is silent or not.

Yeah exactly and 2 trailers plus many pictures and not one dialogue box from the main character isnwhy I began to believe it. 

Why else would we still not have info on our main character saying even 1 line? 

8 minutes ago, Guest Dia said:

My humble thoughts :

- It is nice to see , that the world gets more lore than FE 14. Hopefully  there are more different maps with more different Terrain effects on it (Rain/Snow and Drought anyone ?).

- So... each of the houses has a prefered weapon/Magic. Sounds interesting. Though... Edelgard uses Swords and Axes in her base class...in a house that favours Magic. Wierd.

- "Class Change" : Interesting but I hope it does not end up with everyone being able to reclass into anything. Give the People some.... "identity" in battle.

- Sothis saving the Avatar in a fateful night : Well....Sounds like a normal Story so far. -> But... Sothis lost her Memory ? This could lead to a very obvious "plot Point/plot Twist" = Sothis is the goddess we saw in the very first Trailer. -> Hope I am wrong.

- The "Time rewind" Mechanic : Just....just...no. If it works like in SoV (or very similar) then thats not a good way to make things a bit easier for newer Players. -> If I am in a serious battle , then I will always have this "rewind" Feature in mind which could lead me into "sloppy playing". (= If I make a mistake or get an unlucky crit from an enemy then I can just undo it.). -> I would like to Keep that pressure up. If I make a mistake, it will be my fault. In my opinion this "rewind" mechanic could make me get lazy with proper strategizing/placing my Units in less risky spots. -> Not a fan at all with that.

- So... the house Golden Deer has more "commoners" than the other houses. Does that mean, that the other houses are mostly consisting of nobles (like....95%) ? -> I wish they would spred that out a bit more. Oh well.....we will see how it is once the game Comes out.

Looks promising so far. Looking Forward to more new Information.

the JP title itself is the kanji for wind, flower, snow and moon (translating into 'the baeuty of the seasons) so its highly likly we'll have varied terrain and weather effects

honestly reclassing had more of a problem in SD becasue everyone had the same caps and there were no supports. during the 3ds era we have had a few mechanic implemented to make everyone unique. awakening had class sets and STAT CAPS, support bonuses, and fates introduced us to the personal skill mechanic (hopfully this comes back).

what I personally think would be interesting was if classes had minimum stat requirements. lets take lissa just as an example. on most playthroughs, she'd easily promote into sage or troubador. however, if you are magic screwed and stregnth blessed, it might mean you don't meet the minimum of becoming a sage (mag) but meet the minimum for war cleric(str)

for the timewheel... eh? if you don't want to use it you could just NOT use it. The thing is, very unlucky hits and crits do happen, and for certain unlucky people it can get rediculous how much less that 3 percent chances of something can screw them over (even through double RNG).

Golden deer might be more like the polish-lithuanian commonwealth, where something like 40% of the population were voting class nobles.

the polish lithuanian commonwealth also elected thier 'king' so there is that.

The girl Sothis saved the protagonist’s life by using her powers to rewind time. She allowed the protagonist to borrow her power and vanished. The protagonist discovers that the youths attacked by the bandits were students from the officer’s academy at the Garreg Mach Monastery–and the future leaders of the three largest nations of Fódlan. After saving the youths, the protagonist’s power was recognized and they were invited to the academy to become a professor. This invitation will forever change the protagonist’s fate…

So Sothis is going to bite it that early in game? I expected her to have more presence in the story., or she's going to pull of a resurrection near the end.

A courteous and refreshing young man who embodies chivalry, yet he carries a shadow.

I bet Dimitri is going to evolve into another Camus. 

40 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

So Sothis is going to bite it that early in game? I expected her to have more presence in the story., or she's going to pull of a resurrection near the end.

Vanish =/= die. After all, one of the things we know about her is

She normally doesn’t show herself up and she speaks with telepathy into your head, so no one except you notice her

That, in addition to having lost her memory makes me think she's gonna stick around for most of the game.

I love Mila's Turnwheel because it's essentially a soft reset without having to start from turn 1, but you still have to think about why your previous strategy didn't work and how you can change it, and it's not unlimited. So I'm happy to see the feature returning.

The class system seems interesting but I wonder how units will be balanced. And does this mean the main three lords don't have unique classes? I mean it was pretty clear with Edelgard promoting into a Brigand last trailer but it's curious for FE.

Sothis doesn't inspire confidence in me, and Byleth still seems boring and too much like a wannabe Ike/Corrin mashup. I'd say I hope Byleth isn't too central to the story but the last trailer crushed that hope. Still, I'd like if the 3 lords were just as big a focus as Byleth.

Wonder when we'll get more story details.

14 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Interesting that everyone starts out just using magic. I'd expect magic to be something that has to be learned or studied.

I mean technically everyone can use magic in the Marth remakes. But the overwhelming majority of the cast has nonexistent growths and bases when it comes to magic so just because you can doesn't mean you should. I imagine it'll be something similar here.

If time travel were limited to at most a few hours, certainly not a day, I'd assume it to be due to exponential costs in the effort to time travel. Which is to say that at a certain point, say going from two hours to four hours for a hypothetical, the energy cost rather than double, quadruples or quintuples or something even greater. And to keep things balanced, you'd also have to assume an initial spike in power consumption when starting to time travel, such that it'd make going back two hours twice unfeasible as well.

I'd probably do a cold run for my first play. Probably Hard, minimal use of class flexibility, probably without paying attention to the plot or characters. I'll wait to see how the jury plays out before determining whether I'd want to imprint the cast and story on my being (weird, but so I've become with FE). Subsequent runs could be Normal if I wanted to give the narrative and cast a chance, presumably an unlockable Lunatic if I sought to try a challenge. Although having to unlock Lunatic would not be that strange, if a semi-dated mechanic, Lunatic Reverse and Lunatic+ in FE12 and Awakening had to be unlocked, and Hard in FE7 was also unlockable.

7 hours ago, Thane said:

Lorenz, the purple-haired guy with the questionable haircut and more questionable honor of being the victim to show off Sothis' turnwheel, says ば、馬鹿な。。。!この僕が。。。敗れただと。。。?which is basically "I-Impossible! I was defeated...?" - he uses the "kono boku", which many might know from "kono Dio da!", which has a bit of an arrogant tone. It'd be like saying "I, Lorenz, was defeated?" Arrogant and an ugly haircut? I know who I'm not using.

I think this explains how and why he exploded back in Grust, he didn't want Lang getting ahold of the magic dial, so he destroyed it alongside himself.

So we're looking at another identical name instance in FE? Lorenz and Lorenz, and in Japan this game is also doing this with new Claude and the old Claude of Edda. Can they please randomly assign the name Marth to a new playable character that looks absolutely nothing like Marth and has no relation to him whatsoever?

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Wouldn't be the first time that the weapon triangle vanished, either.  But "implementing" it via skills sounds intriguing.

Sounds like it could allow for creativity in what effects WTA could provide. I'm not one to be hung up on the weapon triangle, it's nice, but FE doesn't need it.

6 hours ago, redlight said:

Claude's country might have a lot of wildlife so people hunt a lot or hunting is some kind of pass time for fun

Fox-tossing minigame fox-tossing minigame! Get rid of the Arena and let me bet on bearbaiting and cockfights instead. Don't forget to prepare a glorious jagd, pack those fawns into the fences like sardines. Give me realism!

I joke. Animal cruelty is cruel. 

30 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Interesting that everyone starts out just using magic. I'd expect magic to be something that has to be learned or studied.

Depends on the interpretation of how magic works in any given world.

Though for the world of Archanea/Valentia at least (the only world that has any explanation as to how magic works as far as I know), the interpretation seems to be that it is an innate ability (much like a dragon's ability to breathe elements), but normal humans need to use tomes as an arcane focus or else expend their health to cast spells naturally.

I guess one could assume from the lore exposed in Blazing Sword that magic is cast with Quintessence (at least if it's cast from the body instead of a tome), if one assumes that the lifeforce taken away when mages in Gaiden/Echoes cast spells is Quintessence.  It would help explain why Nosferatu doesn't have an HP cost in those games, as perhaps that spell is actually a way of absorbing an enemy's Quintessence.  Which, honestly, is a little eff'd up.

And I'd say the reason why they don't know every spell or why they can only cast so many times when they start out is the same reason you can't lift 300 pounds or recite the Quadratic Formula when you're a newborn - it's stuff you have to work for and learn.

Another explanation is that everyone learns magic at lower grades.  I mean, you think that all of these adolescents attending the school just started their education?  Perhaps they learned less potent forms of magic earlier.  Perhaps, even, those lower grades taught lethal forms of magic, because even as a fantasy game, it's still trying to somewhat emulate ye olden times which means education standards could be different.

21 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Hey in a couple pics why doesn’t Male Byleth have his cape on??

He's a myrmidon in those, instead of his base class.

6 hours ago, Guest Sol19 said:

Why though? A game should never discourage experimentation, and failing the chapter and or getting characters killed should be punishment enough. With this class system there is a lot of potential for enemy and level design that makes the classes you deploy an important part of your strategy.

for one it would increase replay value, you know that thing that everyone insists reclassing makes you do, but if you can just roll back or god forbid switch at a moment's notice, there is no reason other than the experience to replay.

there is no way to design a level around your player being able to just select classes, if you design a level with the idea that you must use flyers, you are suddenly demanding that the player play how you mandate, likewise you can never setup a level with advanced knowledge of what the player has, if changing class is made too easy, suddenly you can end up with crap like fuga's wild ride, fliers only, but you also don't need to expend resources, or you end up with the hall of ballisti but you only use armors and it's just a quick stroll to the finish, this kills map design because you now must account for things that trivialize the strategy, this will lead to less unique map design overall.

Am I looking at the turnwheel section right, and the number of uses drops from 8 to 7? Guess they really aren't balancing it through lower uses...

4 hours ago, Cysx said:

Am I looking at the turnwheel section right, and the number of uses drops from 8 to 7? Guess they really aren't balancing it through lower uses...

Edit: So after looking at a higher quality screenshot that shows the turnwheel mechanic, the words above '8' and '7' is '未行動‘ which means 'not yet moved' which I'm pretty sure refers to the number of units that haven't moved yet. However, at the bottom left corner, it says  '3 回使用‘ among the rest of the Japanese that I can't read but I'm pretty sure that is the number referring to the turnwheel mechanic. Not sure if it means '3 uses left' or 'used 3 times already'.  

Still...I'm personally not a huge fan of the Turnwheel mechanic because I realize I play a lot more carelessly and am willing to take more gambles (i.e dodge tanking) knowing that I can just turnwheel to save my ass.

Whereas other FE games, I kept checking and doublechecking that a certain unit can tank during the enemy phase. Or if I accidentally left a healer out in the open, I think of ways to rescue her or plan what other units to place in front of her. This whole process is quite fun for me and it is something that was missing when I played SoV because once I make a mistake I just rewind time (especially when there are so many uses). 

Sure I can just not use it, but it also kinda removes the immersion for me knowing that the mechanic stems from a core part of the story. 

Edited by zuibangde

13 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The way the classes work has me intrigued. Could mean there's a lot of tiers of classes to work with.

Which might explain why Commoners/Nobles only seem to have 4 movement. They really are at the very bottom.

Actually, one of the screenshot posted on the front page shows Myrmidon Byleth having only 4 movement too. I think movement is going to be lower across the board in this game. Hopefully this doesn't mean 3 mov armor knights, though!

So I just had a thought about ol' Gerry/Geralt/Diet Greil. What if instead of being a super predictable and ineffective early character death he's secretly working for the antagonists and you have to fight him at some point? 

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Edit: So after looking at a higher quality screenshot that shows the turnwheel mechanic, the words above '8' and '7' is '未行動‘ which means 'not yet moved' which I'm pretty sure refers to the number of units that haven't moved yet. However, at the bottom left corner, it says  '3 回使用‘ among the rest of the Japanese that I can't read but I'm pretty sure that is the number referring to the turnwheel mechanic. Not sure if it means '3 uses left' or 'used 3 times already'. 

I think you're right on all counts. It's more or less the same UI as Echoes. So it's 3 uses remaining in the screenshots.

6 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

So I just had a thought about ol' Gerry/Geralt/Diet Greil. What if instead of being a super predictable and ineffective early character death he's secretly working for the antagonists and you have to fight him at some point? 

I think that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't even mind if he was just testing you. It beats him dying near the start like nearly every other protagonist's parent.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, he rejoins the Knights of Seiros. Assuming the Church is at least partially corrupted, there's a decent chance he'll end up on the opposing side.

Conversely, the battalions that joins you are from the Knights of Seiros. So it's possible he'll assist you at one point, but then die helping you...

42 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I think that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't even mind if he was just testing you. It beats him dying near the start like nearly every other protagonist's parent.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, he rejoins the Knights of Seiros. Assuming the Church is at least partially corrupted, there's a decent chance he'll end up on the opposing side.

Conversely, the battalions that joins you are from the Knights of Seiros. So it's possible he'll assist you at one point, but then die helping you...

Part of me is expecting it to go the lazy route but I'm trying not to be all "bluuhhh the story is gonna suck bluuhh" about it. There's room for good stuff here and it'd be cool to see a person betray the player because of differing values/loyalty instead of just being all "and then dark magic/possession made them bad, beat the evil out of them so they can love you again".

Edited by TheDreamReturns

Everything points to part of the story being Tellius lite. I'll be pleasantly surprised if instead of retreading old ground they're playing up the similarities to Tellius so they can subvert expectations by not having Geralt die early and not having Sothis be the misunderstood/imprisoned part of the goddess, not having the church be corrupted by those in charge, etc. But I can't imagine what else could happen with the details we've gotten.

19 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Everything points to part of the story being Tellius lite. I'll be pleasantly surprised if instead of retreading old ground they're playing up the similarities to Tellius so they can subvert expectations by not having Geralt die early and not having Sothis be the misunderstood/imprisoned part of the goddess, not having the church be corrupted by those in charge, etc. But I can't imagine what else could happen with the details we've gotten.

I hope they don't subvert expectations in a " The Last Jedi" kind of way. While retreading ground covered by Tellius would be a bit bland, if they carry over the same level of worldbuilding and character interactions, I can't complain.

A chap on Reddit posted some dialogue snippets here, and I translated them with some help from NekoKnight.

Spoiler

Image 1:

Claude: いやいや、俺の目は誤魔化)せないぜ。先生にしか分からない何かがあったはずだ

Claude: No way, you can't deceive these eyes of mine. There had to be something there that only you understood, Instructor. 

Image 2:

Claude: ああ。ま、先生と一緒ならつまらんものも面白くなるかもしれないからな。

Claude: Yeah. Well, if I'm with you, Instructor, then maybe even boring things will turn out interesting.

Image 3:

Claude: じゃ、改めて自己紹介しておくか。俺はクロード=フォン=リーガンだ。

Claude: Well, let me introduce myself again. I'm Claude von Reagan. 

Image 4:

Dimitri: はは、まさか。
先生も、冗談を言うことがあるんだな。

Dimitri: Haha, impossible. So you also tell jokes, Instructor?

[Note: も here could be "also" but also "even". So "even you" or "you as well"]

Image 5:

Dimitri: 模擬戦での先生の指揮は的確だった。先生がいれば討伐も上手くいくはずだ。

Dimitri: Your commands during the mock battle were precise. So long as you're here, routing the enemy should go well.

[Thanks NekoKnight!. "Rout" sure sounds better than "subjugat/conquer", which is what I got from the dictionary.]

Image 6:

Dimitri: 未熟者ではありますが、ご指導よろしくお願いします、先生。

Dimitri: I am still inexperienced, so I hope you will guide me well, Instructor.

Image 7:

Edelgard: 前に盗賊と戦った時は、師に助けられたわ。今度は私が助けてあげられるかしら。

Edelgard: You saved me when fighting that bandit before, Instructor. I wonder if I will be able to save you next time. 

[Note: Edelgard uses a different kanji for teacher/instructor but it's read the same way as the traditional way. Probably to indicate a certain tone, perhaps more archaic.]

Image 8:

Edelgard: ふふっ、人間でないかしれないわね。

Edelgard: Fufu, you might not even be human.

[Note: we don't know if Edelgard is talking about Byleth, but chances are good that she is. The way she's phrasing it can also be written in many different ways, like "fufu, are you even human?", etc.]

Image 9:

Edelgard: 貴方が私たちの学級を受け持つ、なんてこともあるのかしら。

Edelgard: Perhaps you are taking over our classes as well.

[Why are Edelgard's lines so annoying to translate?]

Image 10:

Sothis: やはり、わからぬな。名前以外のことは、さっぱり思い出せぬ。

Sothis: It's no good, I don't know. I can't remember anything but my name.

[Note: Sothis uses archaic speech and pronouns, which gives her speech a distinct flair. I believe Sanaki speaks similarly]

Image 11:

Sothis: もし、わしがここにいたといのなら、わしは何をしておったのじゃろうな

Sothis: If I were here, then I wonder what I was doing...

Image 12:

Sothis: おぬし、そろそろわしが話すのに慣れよ!その度に驚いて転ばれても困るわ。

Sothis: You better get used to me talking to you. It'd be rough if you fell down in surprise each time I did. 

[Note: Sothis uses the word "get difficult", which is a bit difficult to translate here. "It'd be annoying" would give off the incorrect tone conveyed, so "it'd be rough" will have to do]

Image 13:

Sothis: 何やら懐かしい心地がするが。。。わしはもう一眠りするかな。。。ふわぁ。

Sothis: For some reason I'm feeling nostalgic but...I'm going back to sleep. *Yawn*...

[Note: 懐かしい can mean "dear", "fondly remembered", or "nostalgic". She also uses 心地 which is "feeling" or "sensation". So if you want to interpret it that way she says she's in a "I'm in a nostalgic mood", but it sounds a bit strange. Also worth pointing out is that her name is "???" here, while it wasn't in the earlier pictures]

Image 14:

Sothis: なるほど。流石は人の子、耳慣れぬ名じゃのう

Sothis: I see. As expected of a child of man, it's an unfamiliar name, huh?

[Note: Toughest sentence yet. 人の子 could be "child of man" but also just "child". 耳慣れる is "to be something familiar".  I wonder if it can be interpreted as "it's a name you gotta get used to", however. She may be commenting on Byleth's name being weird or one she's never heard before]

Image 15:

Jeralt: 教え子を死なせちゃ寝覚めが悪いだろ?油断せず、上手く指揮してやれよ。

Jeralt: It'd be bad if one of your students died, right? Teach them well without being careless. 

Image 16:

Jeralt: おい、行くぞ。用意はいいな?

Jeralt: Hey, we're leaving. You ready?

Image 17:

Jeralt: 俺たち傭兵の仕事は命懸けなんだ。余計なことを考えてると早死にするぞ。

Jeralt: Our jobs as mercenaries is to put our life on the line. If you think about a bunch of unnecessary stuff you'll die young.

Hardly a treasure trove of information, but why not translate it?

Edited by Thane