So, we have "Dark" magic and "Black" magic?

Eryon

Dark Magic is well, Dark. As in Nosteratu, etc.

Black Magic is the classic fire water wind spellcast.

My complaint, the names are so far iffy. They both more less say the same name.

Edited by Eryon

Yeah. I know that "black magic" is a fantasy term that can apply to offensive elemental spells, but it also has a 'evil' connotation in other contexts which makes it sound too similar to dark magic. I don't know why they didn't stick with Anima which has been used many times already.

I wonder if light magic is in the game. I was always more a fan of light/anima/dark being different spell schools instead of the "Mages use anima and Dark mages are mages with extra toys"

2 hours ago, Guest bob said:

Well, we don't have an official translation of the famitsu article, so they could be called something different in the localisation.

This. 

The only FE game where magic was broken down into "white" magic or "black" magic was Gaiden/SoV, and it didn't divide the spells into any further categories than that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the fantasy system of "white" and "black" magic; I much prefer the system of light, anima, dark. There's no need to remove stuff unique to FE and replace it with a fantasy cliché.